Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Yaaay!

I keep meaning to add a roster or character section to the website, but it's a low priority/high effort endeavor that paying work inevitably delays.

On the bright side I'll have to compile that information for the RPG, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it mirrored on the site in some capacity.

I can't wait to try this at Gencon. It's the only event I actually bothered to register for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Len posted:

I can't wait to try this at Gencon. It's the only event I actually bothered to register for.

It figures that this is the year I'm not going. The second in the last 10 or so :smith:

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

bairfanx posted:

FYI, your game could singlehandedly get me back into playing a tabletop RPG.
We hope so! The FATE system is a fast and loose one that's easy to pick up and roll with. Its mechanics lend themselves very well to the kind of free wheeling (and half bullshit) action science that makes the comic work.

I think what we're going for is not only Atomic Robo: The RPG, but the RPG version of Atomic Robo: The Comic, i.e. something anyone can pick up and run with maximun fun from minimal effort.

Xenomrph posted:

Re-read volume 5 last night, definitely still my favorite volume to date.
The next batch of Real Science Adventures was going to be one-shots that gave us the rest of Tarot's and Helen's stories and how those tied in with Robo's life. Scott and I both felt we didn't get to see enough of Jack or Helen in Vol 5, and we were both annoyed by a popular assumption that Helen and Robo's relationship had to go sour in real big bad ways.

These stories, then, would set the record straight.

But the more we talked about it the more Scott wanted to draw that series. So, it'll be a regular volume. Uh, eventually. We're already quite backlogged.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bairfanx posted:

It figures that this is the year I'm not going. The second in the last 10 or so :smith:

They sold quick. I was 85 in the queue for tickets and they were almost gone by that point.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hyperactive posted:

We hope so! The FATE system is a fast and loose one that's easy to pick up and roll with. Its mechanics lend themselves very well to the kind of free wheeling (and half bullshit) action science that makes the comic work.

I think what we're going for is not only Atomic Robo: The RPG, but the RPG version of Atomic Robo: The Comic, i.e. something anyone can pick up and run with maximun fun from minimal effort.

Wait, wait, so I don't get to have a THAC0? Hrmmm

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hyperactive posted:

we were both annoyed by a popular assumption that Helen and Robo's relationship had to go sour in real big bad ways.
Given the overall tone of volume 5 I didn't get that impression at all. Why would people think that? :confused:

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Xenomrph posted:

Given the overall tone of volume 5 I didn't get that impression at all. Why would people think that? :confused:
No clue!

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Just thought I'd bump the thread here to let everyone know that Atomic Robo is currently the featured sale comic on Comixology. 99¢ for individual issues, most "trades" at $3.99.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think my favorite gag of the series remains the "Ebb and Flow" one.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

unl33t posted:

Just thought I'd bump the thread here to let everyone know that Atomic Robo is currently the featured sale comic on Comixology. 99¢ for individual issues, most "trades" at $3.99.
Now in convenient link format.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

unl33t posted:

I thought this was the usual price?

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

bairfanx posted:

No, it's half off; at least according to the banner on Comixology and the story and prices posted on the Atomic Robo website.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

bairfanx posted:

Everyone from brick and mortar retailers to other publishers to readers was telling us it was stupid to sell for a dollar.

We increased the price per issue to $1.99 starting with Vol 6 as an experiment.

No one complained. Also sales skyrocketed.

I don't pretend to understand that.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
You see, if it's cheap, it must be because it's no good and no one wants it. If it's expensive, it must be high quality, and therefore everyone wants it.

Actually, there is research that shows that the more resources an individual invests in something, the more devoted to it they will be. This doesn't necessarily translate to microeconomics and serial purchases, but it's a potential loose connection.

Or word really got out on your product and it coincided with the price change. Who knows? :iiam:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I finally got a job again so I was able to make it to pick up Adventures In Science #2. Holy poo poo that crossover.

Edit: What was Rasputin saying?

Len fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 19, 2012

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

Edit: What was Rasputin saying?
Nothing important. Things like "Where is Tesla?" and "Bring him to me!" and so on.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hyperactive posted:

Everyone from brick and mortar retailers to other publishers to readers was telling us it was stupid to sell for a dollar.

We increased the price per issue to $1.99 starting with Vol 6 as an experiment.

No one complained. Also sales skyrocketed.

I don't pretend to understand that.

Ah, okay. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining that it was that cheap originally!

Glad you're making more money! You guys deserve it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Well I just finished my second read-through of the series. In the past two days. My new goal in life is to become a successful and powerful enough actor to produce and star in a TV series of/as Robo that would be hugely expensive but critically acclaimed (though Ron Livingston would be a loving great voice for Robo in animation.) I want more t-shirt options though, particularly a "Remain Calm, Trust in Science" shirt with the Tesladyne logo. I would pay cash money, US cash money for such a thing.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
So I went to the mall today to visit the grand-opening of the new LEGO store. The lines wrapped around the corner, so I said "screw this, I'll go to the comic shop instead." And I drove over there and what did I see?

That's right, the #12 issue of the new Archie comics Megaman series.

But THEN I saw the Atomic Robo collection #2, so I bought that instead. My only regret is that it was the only copy in the store and I deprived some other poor soul of it. :saddowns:

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Just in case you're some kind of moron* and don't follow me on Twitter, here's the official Tesladyne Employee Orientation video.

:science:

*I don't make the rules, man.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Just in case you're some kind of moron* and don't follow me on Twitter, here's the official Tesladyne Employee Orientation video.

:science:

*I don't make the rules, man.

HAHA This is great.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So a friend of a friend who does comic book art got tapped to do the pencils for this. However, he's planning to turn it down because the art style switch from the cartoony art it has now to his Jim Lee-esque style would be really, really jarring.

Just figured I'd bring that up.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

WickedIcon posted:

So a friend of a friend who does comic book art got tapped to do the pencils for this. However, he's planning to turn it down because the art style switch from the cartoony art it has now to his Jim Lee-esque style would be really, really jarring.

What.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

WickedIcon posted:

I think the tenses are confused here because the art in the video was done... in the past.

It's unfortunate they didn't give credit to the the artist who was in the video tho.

A quality youtube

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

In a fever dream, you found someone with a Jim Lee style to replace Wegener, but they know Robo better than you and/or are aware that you were hallucinatory/bat-poo poo insane and will not be taking the position.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think the tenses are confused here because the art in the video was done... in the past.
I thought he was talking about the comic. And if he is, someone is lying or confused!

But if it's the video, which video? The Employee Orientation or The Fictory's? Because I can't imagine the former ever had a different guy on art, but the latter just recently upped the ante on the hand drawn designs/animations with some ex-Disney staff.

quote:

It's unfortunate they didn't give credit to the the artist who was in the video tho.
In the employee orientation video? The art is by the fellow who made the costume, and the set, and the video, Devin Harrigan.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hyperactive posted:

I thought he was talking about the comic. And if he is, someone is lying or confused!
Oh you didn't hear? You and Scott aren't working on Atomic Robo anymore - Tomas Edison's descendants have seen to that. :ohdear:

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Xenomrph posted:

Oh you didn't hear? You and Scott aren't working on Atomic Robo anymore - Tomas Edison's descendants have seen to that. :ohdear:
Dang :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You guys had a good run. :sympathy:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Maybe he's talking about a Real Science Adventures issue?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is all the doing of Stephen Hawking.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
He's just mad that he lost that bet.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Well, he said he's done work for Red 5 in the past and that they tapped him to do pencils for (something related to?) Atomic Robo. Actually I mostly posted about it here because Google isn't turning up a damned thing for this guy and it's kind of an obscure thing to lie about, so if he's not telling the truth then the alternative is either that he's a crazy person or a time traveler.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

WickedIcon posted:

Well, he said he's done work for Red 5 in the past and that they tapped him to do pencils for (something related to?) Atomic Robo. Actually I mostly posted about it here because Google isn't turning up a damned thing for this guy and it's kind of an obscure thing to lie about, so if he's not telling the truth then the alternative is either that he's a crazy person or a time traveler.

Does your friend talk about how important CRYSTALS are for his art? This is important

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedIcon posted:

He probably thinks it's obscure enough that he can lie about it. I mean, you are aware of who Hyperactive is right?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

WickedIcon posted:

It's possible he almost landed a spot in Real Science Adventures. We had a list of potential artists that was longer than the list of stories. Some of those artists were people we knew, some of them were people Red 5 had worked with previously.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I mean, you are aware of who Hyperactive is right?

Well, duh, I followed 8 Bit Theater religiously when it was running.

Hyperactive posted:

It's possible he almost landed a spot in Real Science Adventures. We had a list of potential artists that was longer than the list of stories. Some of those artists were people we knew, some of them were people Red 5 had worked with previously.

That sounds just a bit more likely. Guy's name is Steve Shiflett if that rings any bells, though I kinda doubt it since I literally can't find anything other than this guy's facebook for some reason.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

So, how much did you guys pay National Geographic to have a guy hold an Atomic Robo comic for 30 seconds on Comic Book Heroes?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

gninjagnome posted:

So, how much did you guys pay National Geographic to have a guy hold an Atomic Robo comic for 30 seconds on Comic Book Heroes?
Zero! Sort of. They've always been super supportive of the property. We use Midtown as our semi-official source for online orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It continues to bother me that I only have issues 3-5 of Deadly Art of Science. Does anyone know where I can get 1 and 2?

• Locked thread