Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Viash posted:

The main difference is it has three playable characters. Same dungeons, mostly same bosses, different perspectives on the same storyline, but three very different playstyles. If you liked Oath chances are pretty good you will like Origin.

Do you switch between characters during one playthrough, or you pick one and play the whole story with just that one character?

If it's the latter, I assume there are Achievements tied to all three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Primoman posted:

Do you switch between characters during one playthrough, or you pick one and play the whole story with just that one character?

If it's the latter, I assume there are Achievements tied to all three.

The latter, and yes.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Worth noting that one of the main characters is an incredible douche and it is wildly entertaining.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I asked about Origins before and someone responded with a pretty good overview here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3353352&pagenumber=99&perpage=40#post400647841

It's a bit critical but I agree with most of it after playing a bit of the fan translation patch (this was before there was a Steam version so I imagine it works on Windows 7 now). I couldn't bring myself to play it a third time since I got pretty bored with it at that point. It's still a pretty good buy at that cost, but don't feel pressured into finishing it if you get bored half way through it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I ended up jumping on Rainbow Moon and it's an interesting game. Its art style reminds me heavily of SMRPG (which is awesome!). The playstyle is JRPG with a western twist though. The music is nice and your characters are fairly customizable though combat options open kind of slowly. You can skip the invisible random battles if you want and other enemies are visible on the map. It has been fun so far though I'm only a few hours in. I'd definitely recommend it for the price tag, especially since reviews are pegging it as a loooooong rear end game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
$5 for Oath is hilarious, I should buy it as a gift for a bunch of my Steam friends just for the heck of it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

$5 for Oath is hilarious, I should buy it as a gift for a bunch of my Steam friends just for the heck of it.

There's always the chance it could go lower as a specific sale, but $5 is a really good deal. I'll probably gift a couple friends with it as well before the sale's over.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Good thing I ended up holding off on the Vita YS, $5 is crazy

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rascyc posted:

I asked about Origins before and someone responded with a pretty good overview here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3353352&pagenumber=99&perpage=40#post400647841

It's a bit critical but I agree with most of it after playing a bit of the fan translation patch (this was before there was a Steam version so I imagine it works on Windows 7 now). I couldn't bring myself to play it a third time since I got pretty bored with it at that point. It's still a pretty good buy at that cost, but don't feel pressured into finishing it if you get bored half way through it.

Apparently they changed it at some point where you only have to beat the game with one character to unlock Thor? If that's actually the case, I would definitely recommend just jumping straight to Thor if you feel like you might get bored playing Yunika/Hugo.

Reason being that the Thor playthrough actually lets you fight the final boss and get the "real" ending.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

In Ys Origin is there a lot of hidden rooms i.e. should I be wearing teh Mask of Eyes a lot?

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
Is there a way to skip dialogue scenes in Oath in Felghana, or does the talking at least mostly stop after the start of the game? It's kind of painful so far.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
As far as I know no way to skip it, but it does get far less after the start, yes.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
White Knight Chronicles was not that great. The thing is, I knew drat well going into it that it wasn't going to be for me either. The graphics are pretty horrible, and coming from Level 5 I was disappointed. Combat system is pretty meh and cut scenes, at least in the first few hours, were way to plentiful. I can see why RPGamer gave it a 1.5, however, other posters in here have mentioned it being worth it, so take that into consideration. If anyone wants a copy, for cheap or trade, just let me know.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

casual poster posted:

White Knight Chronicles was not that great. The thing is, I knew drat well going into it that it wasn't going to be for me either. The graphics are pretty horrible, and coming from Level 5 I was disappointed. Combat system is pretty meh and cut scenes, at least in the first few hours, were way to plentiful. I can see why RPGamer gave it a 1.5, however, other posters in here have mentioned it being worth it, so take that into consideration. If anyone wants a copy, for cheap or trade, just let me know.

The story isn't terrible, just cliche and dull, and if you don't get bored of the combat system then it's a fairly average RPG. That is why some people don't see it as a bad game. Honestly I'm not sure how someone couldn't rage at the game after an hour of combat, but to each their own.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Sale over

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 15, 2012

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Gungnir and Unchained Blades are now playable on Vita for those who were holding out.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Could I get someone's two cents on The Last Remnant? I don't own a 360 but I've heard the PC version is more playable anyway. It's currently on sale on Steam for $18 and probably won't be discounted any further (not exactly the most popular or recent PC title and it's not part of any other bundles). Is this a game worth the time and money?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kaleidoscope posted:

Could I get someone's two cents on The Last Remnant? I don't own a 360 but I've heard the PC version is more playable anyway. It's currently on sale on Steam for $18 and probably won't be discounted any further (not exactly the most popular or recent PC title and it's not part of any other bundles). Is this a game worth the time and money?

Hesitantly, yes. It depends on a couple of things. First, man of the mechanics are incredibly opaque. I've played and beaten it several times and I'm still not entirely certain why and how certain characters choose to upgrade themselves or exactly how classes work (though the wiki is helpful, this is more my hangup). Secondly, the story is a little disjointed. The end just kind of comes with a weird exposition dump and I was like "did I miss several cutscenes before this?"

That being said the battle system feels, for lack of a better word, epic. You can have up to 25 people in battle separated into groups that you give vaguely named tactics to. Battles tend to get huge and chaotic fast, especially the later boss battles.

I think if you like any of the SaGa games, it's worth a try.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Kaleidoscope posted:

don't be so sure, I've gotten it previously for $10. I think that was a regular daily deal though.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Cityinthesea posted:

don't be so sure, I've gotten it previously for $10. I think that was a regular daily deal though.

I got it for $10 as well and have seen it dip that low a couple of times since. In fact, I got the $10 deal during a sale last year; it was on for 50% off for a week and then 75% off for the last few days of the sale. Never buy what you want on a Steam sale until the last possible day; always hold out for the surprise deals.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

demons. posted:

In Ys Origin is there a lot of hidden rooms i.e. should I be wearing teh Mask of Eyes a lot?

Nope, I seem to remember there being less than 5 in the whole game. And the way the game works, by the end you have all or very nearly all items etc because you mostly need to find whatever there is in order to progress. There are very few, if any missable items iirc

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I've been easily distracted lately so I'm playing a few games. First, I downloaded a patch for FFT: War of the Lions that makes playing the game more convenient. It eliminates JP Up and makes it innate from the start. It's nice because it allows you to experiment with other abilities rather than go through the entire game with it in that slot. It does some other stuff too like move some abilities around and change some costs of spells - the game feels a lot less tedious on my 20th run-through because of it.

I'm also playing FFT:A2 because I never did beat it when I bought it at launch. I'm not sure what it is about the Advance series but I always lose interest. It's keeping me interested this time though so maybe I can finally put it to bed.

Also playing Rainbow Moon when time permits. It's a grindy-rear end game but has a weird charm to it, reminiscent of Super Mario RPG in places. Protip: if you play it, the second character has a bow. I thought her range was two spaces and couldn't find a good way to use her. Her range is actually SIX spaces - the blue line is where you can set the target and the bow fires two spaces beyond that. Made her far more useful.

I've been watching the Steam sale too and I'm waiting to see if Y's drops in price again. Any other suggestions to keep an eye out for?

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Levantine posted:

I've been watching the Steam sale too and I'm waiting to see if Y's drops in price again. Any other suggestions to keep an eye out for?

aaagh there's no apostrophe in Ys, where does this apostrophe keep coming from

(The Carpe Fulgur games are pretty cool if you haven't tried them)

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Levantine posted:

I've been easily distracted lately so I'm playing a few games. First, I downloaded a patch for FFT: War of the Lions that makes playing the game more convenient. It eliminates JP Up and makes it innate from the start. It's nice because it allows you to experiment with other abilities rather than go through the entire game with it in that slot. It does some other stuff too like move some abilities around and change some costs of spells - the game feels a lot less tedious on my 20th run-through because of it.

Can you provide a link to that patch?

McMyke
Mar 3, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there a list of rpgs that have classes or skill sets?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kaleidoscope posted:

I'd like to check this out as well. Also is there a patch to put the old translation back in? I really hate the superfluous name changes to skills and locations.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Kaleidoscope posted:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/916/ this is it.

Always check Romhacking.net, because it's a good site.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I got my Sega CD in the mail last week and have been on vacation for the past week. Plug it all up to find it works (gently caress ya awesome) but then find that Pier Solar has re-initialized the cartridge so all my progress is lost :sigh:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wendell posted:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/916/ this is it.

Always check Romhacking.net, because it's a good site.

Thanks Wendell, sorry about that guys, I meant to link it in my post - honest! And yes, Romhacking is a pretty great site - between translations and hacks I've had quite a bit of fun with their content.

voltron lion force posted:

I'd like to check this out as well. Also is there a patch to put the old translation back in? I really hate the superfluous name changes to skills and locations.

Well it wasn't exactly superfuluous. Alexander O Smith was brought on board and he standardized the translations from Vagrant Story, FFXII, etc. And it's actually gramatically correct. That being said, have you checked http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php ? They are pretty much the one-stop-shop for anything FFT, PSX or PSP versions.

EDIT: Steam's deals today include the Witcher 2 at 60% off, KRATER at 50% off (putting it at 8 bucks) and Fallout New Vegas for 75% off (5 bucks!!). I need to buy all of them!

Levantine fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 19, 2012

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Any recommendations for 360 RPGs?

Already done the Fallouts and BioWare titles.

I'm looking for something different.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vxskud posted:

What sort of RPGs do you like? The Witcher 2 is a good choice based on what you've mentioned you finished already but isn't really "something different." Maybe try Alpha Protocol? It's got problems but it's pretty cheap and if you like it you usually really like it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

vxskud posted:

Alpha Protocol like ImpAtom suggested. Its strength is in the writing and the liquidity of the plot. Your choices have little to large impact on everything that happens during the game. You may get an entire side of the story by making a decision that you wouldn't if you made a different one.

If you like JRPG's, Tales of Vesperia is all kinds of excellent, probably one of (if not the) best on the system. Lost Odyssey is also quite good and feels like a love letter to older Final Fantasy games. Magna Carta 2 is also an interesting one - it's a great looking game with a nice battle system - has the look of an MMO but with more fun.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

McMyke posted:

Is there a list of rpgs that have classes or skill sets?

no

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Fortune Summoners: Yea or nay? I'm looking for something like Wonder Boy in Monster World but the more I look at it the more it sounds like Magical Diary Horse Hall Anime Harry Potter instead of "have one or two blocks of text, gently caress bitches up all day"

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

There's a whole lot of story if that's what you're asking.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I just played the Fortune Summoners demo and it's chatty as hell. Also blurry as hell.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ Awright, that's what I was afraid of and that's exactly what I was looking for. drat shame about that.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There's a whole lot of story if that's what you're asking.

Maybe not necessarily "whole lot of story" but more how it's presented. It it long-winded, or is it like, "lots of story but it's presented in little, bite-sized two- or three-paragraph chunks between Platformer RPG"?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

vxskud posted:

I liked Lost Odyssey. It was directed by the producer of the first ten Final Fantasy games, and it shows.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

The White Dragon posted:

^ Awright, that's what I was afraid of and that's exactly what I was looking for. drat shame about that.

Maybe not necessarily "whole lot of story" but more how it's presented. It it long-winded, or is it like, "lots of story but it's presented in little, bite-sized two- or three-paragraph chunks between Platformer RPG"?

It can vary. Sometimes it's pretty breezy but sometimes it can get a bit chatty. We did our best to make sure it was at least amusing, and often interesting enough. The original script wasn't bad but it could go on a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SpaceDrake posted:

It can vary. Sometimes it's pretty breezy but sometimes it can get a bit chatty. We did our best to make sure it was at least amusing, and often interesting enough. The original script wasn't bad but it could go on a bit.

Y'know what? Goon bro comes in personally to defend his work, I'll trust your efforts on this one; sold. Provided Steam likes my credit card today.