Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PoisonedV posted:

The game looks fantastic and its one of the first that I ever actually wanted to do this in. The only issue is deciding which type I want to be....

Same here. I'm definitely tempted to up my donation to $50 and become a scientist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlande
Apr 28, 2010
Hi folks,

I've never participated in this thread and I'm very new to the whole kickstarter idea. However a very good friend of mine has been developing an old school style RPG and has reached a crunch. He speaks better about what he is trying to do so I'm going to link his project.

He's got a pretty solid loyal following but it's very small. It's based out of the Dominions 3 community.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2142391904/legacy-of-the-last-refuge-revenge-of-the-old-schoo

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Maerlande posted:

Hi folks,

I've never participated in this thread and I'm very new to the whole kickstarter idea. However a very good friend of mine has been developing an old school style RPG and has reached a crunch. He speaks better about what he is trying to do so I'm going to link his project.

He's got a pretty solid loyal following but it's very small. It's based out of the Dominions 3 community.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2142391904/legacy-of-the-last-refuge-revenge-of-the-old-schoo

Also, both Maer and I can relay questions or comments to the developer

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

TheDemon posted:

Also, both Maer and I can relay questions or comments to the developer
The art he's got set for the video splash is quite bad, and he takes over half the video to get to showing gameplay footage.

Fix the art (pick any of the images shown below, gameplay screenshots, anything) and reorganize the video to lead with the gameplay footage, and this would show a lot stronger.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Shalinor posted:

The art he's got set for the video splash is quite bad, and he takes over half the video to get to showing gameplay footage.

Fix the art (pick any of the images shown below, gameplay screenshots, anything) and reorganize the video to lead with the gameplay footage, and this would show a lot stronger.

Agreed. The screenshots don't look terrible (though I'm still not a fan of the environment art), but I almost closed the page without looking into it further when I saw that devil image.

Maerlande
Apr 28, 2010
Thanks for the feedback folks. I'm relaying it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shalinor posted:

Yeah, definitely cut out the two minutes of nostalgia masturbation, I don't think people watching will care about all that as much as you think they might.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Hidden Path, the guys behind Defense Grid: The Awakening are making a sequel on a brand new engine, multiplayer and a level editor! Safe to say that I am excited since DG was the game that got me into Tower Defense games to begin with.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hiddenpath/defense-grid-2

This will be the first Kickstarter that I have pledged to. Just spreading the word.

They also plan to first release some of the second game's story for the first game once they hit their first milestone and on top of that once they hit further milestones they will remaster the content from the first game and put it into the second one!

Boar It fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 13, 2012

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Torabi posted:

Hidden Path, the guys behind Defense Grid: The Awakening are making a sequel on a brand new engine, multiplayer and a level editor! Safe to say that I am excited since DG was the game that got me into Tower Defense games to begin with.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hiddenpath/defense-grid-2

Note that the sequel will only be funded if the KS reaches $1m, which is sort of a weird "stretch goal" when it's listed as the name of your KS.

Also, Defense Grid had a story?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Note that the sequel will only be funded if the KS reaches $1m, which is sort of a weird "stretch goal" when it's listed as the name of your KS.

Yeah it is quite a high goal. Would've been amazing if they reached.

But why can you only use Amazon to back the project? Is it like this with all of the kickstarters or did Hidden Path choose that themselves? I would much rather use Paypal or something. Mainly since Amazon doesn't even exist in Sweden.

And yes it did, might not have been the strongest story ever but it was interesting enough. I have yet to complete the game but it has a lot of mystery to it, or so it seems. I also love the voiceactor.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

It's odd, but on the other hand at least doing it this way ensures that they get some money and that backers get some product in return. If they went for the whole million they probably wouldn't make it and then no one gets anything.

Torabi posted:

But why can you only use Amazon to back the project? Is it like this with all of the kickstarters or did Hidden Path choose that themselves? I would much rather use Paypal or something. Mainly since Amazon doesn't even exist in Sweden.

Yeah they pretty much have to use Amazon payments for some obscure reason I can't recall. Probably due to Paypal's ridiculous rules about how they will handle your money, and how they can randomly decide to take all your money and put it in a locked closet somewhere for months and months on a whim.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah they pretty much have to use Amazon payments for some obscure reason I can't recall. Probably due to Paypal's ridiculous rules about how they will handle your money, and how they can randomly decide to take all your money and put it in a locked closet somewhere for months and months on a whim.

Oh yeah.. that. Makes sense since otherwise all successfull projects would be flagged as scam projects by Paypal as soon as they go past $10000 or something and the money would be never seen again.

I sure hope they make it. I might bother with Amazon eventually.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Torabi posted:

…that said, there has been a couple of Swedish kickstarters, and they seem to (slowly) increase in number. So there's obviously some way of doing it in spite of Amazon's non-presence around here.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Torabi, register with one of the European Amazons like the UK one. We don't have Amazon in my country either and it never stopped me from funding projects (or buy really cheap books and games from Amazon UK :v:).

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

GrandpaPants posted:

I want them to reach the 500,000 mark. Co-op would be a great time with friends!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
So apparently some guys got the license of Bad Dudes to make a sequel, though the fact they got nothing to show besides some lovely concept art (though they've cleared up they got a proper artist now) isn't very encouraging.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Castle Story, a game I've been following the development of for some time, just submitted to Kickstarter, apparently. Awaiting approval now.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

MikeJF posted:

Castle Story, a game I've been following the development of for some time, just submitted to Kickstarter, apparently. Awaiting approval now.

Wow, that one completely left my brain. I too remember thinking it looked awesome. I think I was looking at it around the time of the Voxatron Humble Bundle when I was looking all over at voxel games. I hope he was able to put up a reasonable funding goal! (i.e. less than 100k)

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

MikeJF posted:

I will keep an eye out for this as well, wooo unity :D

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010
So the Jack Houston and the Necronauts Kickstarter made like, half of it's goal in the first day or two, and now has became rather stagnant. The game looks really sick and hope a few more people check this out. I see it's in the OP's list of Kickstarters but I've heard next to nothing, anywhere, about this game so I hope I can at least get a few people to be aware of it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Dbhjed posted:

I want them to reach the 500,000 mark. Co-op would be a great time with friends!

I'm going to double my pledge, I want Defense Grid 2 really bad. Surely if they get enough support in the Kickstarter, with the tiered system they've got, they can at least shop the concept around with some clout behind it. If they can hit $500,000 for the new engine that's a huge start, even if they fall shy of a million.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

MikeJF posted:

Apparently I'm not the only one who saw this before and since forgot about it. In case that happens again, please mention it again when the KS goes live!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Thanks for the heads up! This is the first I've heard of the game and it looks pretty cool. I wonder how much it costs to get a copy of the game when the Kickstarter is up.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
I actually emailed Hidden Path to ask if they'd still try to make Defense Grid 2 even if they didn't make the million (Which doesn't look too likely).

quote:

Hi xxxxx,

So that is our plan. We don't have the money to execute on the plan ourselves, so we need the support of the folks on kickstarter. But should we only get halfway, say, we'll be able to deliver what we say on Kickstarter, and we'll also be half way done with DG2. So, we'll later need to figure out additional resources, maybe work on another game for other people first, sell some product and save up more of what we get to keep, but yes, that's our plan and our intent - we want to make the full DG2, and if we can accomplish that on Kickstarter alone awesome, but if we can't, we will slowly figure out how to get there.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

SupSuper posted:

So apparently some guys got the license of Bad Dudes to make a sequel, though the fact they got nothing to show besides some lovely concept art (though they've cleared up they got a proper artist now) isn't very encouraging.

Heh, you guys remember when Bad Dudes was so great to make fun of because of the stupid story? Hurr hurr, are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

I can't help but feel that they're trying to take this outdated joke too far.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
The bad part about it is that I don't think they "get" Bad Dudes. Why age the characters at all? Why not just make the drat thing take place in the 80s? Also those character designs are atrocious and it makes me think the "story" will just try and beat the dead horse that is the Bad Dudes ending.

I played the poo poo out of Bad Dudes and I don't want them messing it up :colbert:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Category Fun! posted:

I actually emailed Hidden Path to ask if they'd still try to make Defense Grid 2 even if they didn't make the million (Which doesn't look too likely).

I figured it'd be something like this. They shopped the idea, got a lukewarm reception, they'll now be able to frontload development and sell content to help support continued development and bring more to the negotiating table. Not perfect, but enough for me to move up a few tiers. Go go DG2!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Overemotional Robot posted:

The bad part about it is that I don't think they "get" Bad Dudes. Why age the characters at all? Why not just make the drat thing take place in the 80s? Also those character designs are atrocious and it makes me think the "story" will just try and beat the dead horse that is the Bad Dudes ending.

I played the poo poo out of Bad Dudes and I don't want them messing it up :colbert:

Here's hoping it ends with Old Bad Dude failing to save the president and contemplating suicide.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Yodzilla posted:

Here's hoping it ends with Old Bad Dude failing to save the president and contemplating suicide.

The only way this would appeal to me is if they went off the rails with this. Instead I'm sure it's going to be crammed with "I can haz president?"

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
At Comic-Con last Saturday there was a panel called "Gaming Kickstarter":

quote:

Gaming Kickstarter— Gaming industry veterans Oded Sharon (developer for Leisure Suit Larry), Chris Jones (Tex Murphy), Chris Pope (Two Guys from Andromeda: SpaceVenture), Jordan Weisman (Shadowrun), and Chris Avellone (Wasteland 2) discuss the new development model in gaming: Kickstarter! Join them as they discuss the ins-and-outs of the process, challenges, and lessons learned in creating a new generation of games for gamers through the Kickstarter model. Strategies, fan input, and advice for other projects are all on the table-learn firsthand what you can do to get your dream project funded! Room 7AB

Did anyone make it to this event, or even find anyone reporting about it online? I haven't yet. I think that perspectives from experienced, successful professionals would be useful for people who love to make fun of inept morons who start new Kickstarter gaming projects.

There were a bunch of Kickstarter-related events at Comic-Con this year. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I'll bet there won't be this many in 2013.

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 17, 2012

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

AlternatePFG posted:

So, has a major fully funded Kickstarter game been released yet? I really want to see how well these games actually sell when they're actually released considering that many people who would be interested in the game in the first place "bought" it through Kickstarter. I could be missing something really obvious here, please correct me if I am.

A lot of these guys (DFA, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Dead State, etc.) have come out and said that they're going to take their time with development and NOT rush these games - a lot of these developers have despaired at the fact that publishers forced their games out before they were ready (Brutal Legend, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines/Every Single Troika Game Ever, KoToR 2). Ergo, they really want to take the time to polish these games and as such, are going to take at least 18 months.

Kudos to them for being so upfront about the time development needs instead of, erm, promising an entirely new console in less than a year's time.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

LuiCypher posted:

A lot of these guys (DFA, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Dead State, etc.) have come out and said that they're going to take their time with development and NOT rush these games - a lot of these developers have despaired at the fact that publishers forced their games out before they were ready (Brutal Legend, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines/Every Single Troika Game Ever, KoToR 2). Ergo, they really want to take the time to polish these games and as such, are going to take at least 18 months.

Kudos to them for being so upfront about the time development needs instead of, erm, promising an entirely new console in less than a year's time.
I wonder how practical that will be when they only have a few million. That's not that much money, unless their dev teams are really small.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord
For the new Tex Murphy game (which has less than $1 million, to my knowledge) the company that's making it, Big Finish Games, is quite small. But they've actually made 4 games before, so I believe they can do it.

The last Tex Murphy game, Overseer was indeed rushed out thanks to Microsoft and a deal with Intel that didn't work out. This really hurt the game (not that it wasn't good). The DVD version of the game (1998!) was a damned mess. Pretty much no one can get the DVD version to work today. And the story was a re-make of the first Tex game, so it didn't have the depth of the penulitmate game. Nobody wants to see another rushed Tex game, least of all the people who put money into it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Cicero posted:

I wonder how practical that will be when they only have a few million. That's not that much money, unless their dev teams are really small.

It's practical for some developers like DoubleFine (DFA), inExile (Wasteland 2), and Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns) because they still have additional revenue streams coming in from prior-developed games. Companies like DoubleBear (Dead State) and Goldhawk (Xenonauts) aren't as fortunate - they are reliant on the founder's saved-up wealth, what they can get from the Kickstarter, and pro bono work. For the most part, Dead State and Xenonauts were developed on a more volunteer basis as everyone involved had day jobs to go to, so they didn't really have to pay as much out of pocket. What the Kickstarter did for these developers though, is allow them to work on the project full-time by making the company able to employ them.

DoubleBear in particular was especially forthcoming about these details, basically stating that when they hit certain stretch goals, it would give them the money to hire an additional person full-time to do related work.

Also, they aren't spending a dime on advertising/marketing, which is something that publishers pay a lot of money to do. By getting back to some of the fundamentals of game development, they can save money and put out a quality product.

To illustrate, I believe the original Sins of a Solar Empire cost less than $1 million to make - demonstrating that developing a complex, quality, well-selling game is much cheaper than we think (but still requires a significant capital investment).

Story here: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20026

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!

Ema Nymton posted:

At Comic-Con last Saturday there was a panel called "Gaming Kickstarter":

Did anyone make it to this event, or even find anyone reporting about it online? I haven't yet. I think that perspectives from experienced, successful professionals would be useful for people who love to make fun of inept morons who start new Kickstarter gaming projects.

There were a bunch of Kickstarter-related events at Comic-Con this year. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I'll bet there won't be this many in 2013.

I managed to attend the Gaming Kickstarter panel at Comic-con. It was interesting to listen to, and I got the chance to talk with Chris and Jordan afterwards. They mostly talked about how they decided to try a Kickstarter, and some of the events and feelings that took place during the course of the fundraising.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
While this isn't a kickstarter to fund a new game, if anyone happens to be interested in a physical version of SpaceChem, now's your chance.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Overemotional Robot posted:

They already made a sequel to Bad Dudes and took it to the best possible place - 80's post-apocalyptic cyberpunk. gently caress this dumb thing :colbert:

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord
Tom Fulp at Newgrounds made a "Bad Dudes" in Flash 11 years ago in 3 days. It's super short, but it was so satisfying at the time. :911:

Could Tom Fulp make a good new Bad Dudes game? Absolutely! But he's too busy making original games. Like Castle Crashers.

Capskye posted:

I got the chance to talk with Chris
:swoon:

Thanks for the info. I hope someone somewhere has more news about that event.

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 18, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
So Skyjacker is probably not going to make it on this round of Kickstarter, but if it doesn't, they'll break up the development into smaller pieces offering some sort of software for money up-front. Also "who there prayed for Skyjacker in OUYA? Your dreams are not such unreal now :))" :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
F2P and Premium subscription Shadowrun for the browser.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964352341/shadowrun-online?ref=category

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 18, 2012