Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

gmq posted:

I have a Linode 512 but lately I'm starting to get tired of having to take care of the server, messing with config files to ensure it works under a high load, etc.

Can you expand on this more? I recently just moved from share to Linode 512, and have always assumed it's more or less set and forget after the initial setup/hardening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

rawrr posted:

Can you expand on this more? I recently just moved from share to Linode 512, and have always assumed it's more or less set and forget after the initial setup/hardening.

Well, yes. Unless you made a mistake while setting it up and don't realize until it's too late. :v:

Linode is great. I'm just somewhat frustrated because my server was randomly failing to load but apparently it was a local network problem because now it works perfectly fine.

Stein Rockon
Feb 5, 2005

SATAN SANTA TRADE YOUR SOUL FOR MY ORANGES

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

It's currently backing up the 2tb I've put on my 6tb server so far.

how's that workin for you? I'm still on the 30 day trial, andstarted uploading my 1TB of photos in mostly raw (nef) format. The time estimate varies between 5 and 6 months of uploading.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Stein Rockon posted:

how's that workin for you? I'm still on the 30 day trial, andstarted uploading my 1TB of photos in mostly raw (nef) format. The time estimate varies between 5 and 6 months of uploading.
Is that a limitation of your upstream or the service?

According to Wolfram, that should only take about ~18 days to transfer at 5mbps.

I'm particularly interested because the largest volume of data I want to backup is going to be the exact same format. I have small amounts of documents and such but mostly my photography is what I'm concerned with.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

rawrr posted:

yeah assuming the software you run never needs to be updated to patch security vulns :psyduck:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Rufo posted:

yeah assuming the software you run never needs to be updated to patch security vulns :psyduck:

Well, you'll have to update whatever software you're running on shared hosting as well, so that doesn't change anything.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Comradephate posted:

Well, you'll have to update whatever software you're running on shared hosting as well, so that doesn't change anything.

web server etc

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

gmq posted:

How's Mediatemple's shared hosting?

I have a Linode 512 but lately I'm starting to get tired of having to take care of the server, messing with config files to ensure it works under a high load, etc.

I went from MT to a Linode 512, and MT's performance isn't anywhere near what Linode offers. If you want the performance of Linode but without the hassle of an unmanaged VPS, why not get a managed VPS?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Rufo posted:

Isn't that more or less just doing apt-get update?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

rawrr posted:

Isn't that more or less just doing apt-get update?

update/upgrade yeah. do this and you'll be fine

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

what about kernel updates? god knows how old my kernel is...

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Haywood Japwnme posted:

what about kernel updates? god knows how old my kernel is...

yeah if your host uses xen/kvm then you also need to take care of this. one of the few upsides to openvz

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Stein Rockon posted:

Oh sorry, I meant it already had it backed up for a couple weeks. I'm on a full-gigabit connection so it took a couple days.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I shouldn't use shared hosting, but if I do how do I choose? Are there speed benchmarks or anything to go by?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

lwoodio posted:

I shouldn't use shared hosting, but if I do how do I choose? Are there speed benchmarks or anything to go by?

It's kind of hard to benchmark shared hosting - you could be a on busy server, or it could be a busy time of day...

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

gmq posted:

Is the default configuration for csf secure enough?

"Secure enough" isn't really a measurement you can meet. It really depends on what you are doing with the system and what you have running on it. At a minimum run the included "Check server security" and see what gets reported back. It's not an exhaustive list of things to check, and having something in "warning" status isn't always a bad thing. But it is a good thing to run through and just see what comes back.

Personally, I think the list is fairly good and I would recommend getting as many of those items from "Warning" to "OK" as you can without impacting what you need the server for.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Really noob question...

I have a customer on fastshosts who needs their domain forwarding. I normally use cpanel and use that redirect.... In the fasthosts settings under DNS i can change A Records, AAAA Records, CNAME Records, MX Records, SRV Records, SPF Records and TXT Records.

Which or these to i add to make a temporary redirect to another domain?

Ignore me... I found the big ADD FORWARDING button. ffs

thegasman2000 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 16, 2012

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
Looks like cPanel bought its way into WHMCS.

http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=51686

quote:

When a web host begins to gain a reputation for great service, it can feel like a superhuman feat to keep up with the demands of a growing business. Thankfully, hosts can depend on the help they need from the heroic developers of online automation tools and control panels. cPanel & WHM (WebHost Manager) is a control panel for the Linux operating system, allowing hosts, resellers, and end-users to work with their hosting accounts through a web-based browser. WHMCS (WebHost Manager Complete Solution) is a system that turbo-charges the provisioning of new accounts, client management, billing and support.

But while these two heroes of the web hosting world are often used together by millions of users worldwide, their distinct, separate nature previously forced hosts to use both tools separately to manage a single account. This adds to the administrative workload within a web hosting company, increasing expenses and affects the company's ability to deliver fast and responsive customer service.

Finally, these two giants of the web hosting industry are coming together. With the goal of creating a more integrated solution for web hosting providers, cPanel, Inc., and WHMCS Ltd. have recently announced a new partnership to deliver a more cohesive solution that includes both control panel functionality and billing.
"We have felt for some time now that a much-needed component for cPanel & WHM was an e-commerce solution to automate billing, account creation, and so on," says Aaron Phillips, Vice President of Operations at cPanel, Inc. "We knew if we built our own product, we would be competing primarily against WHMCS, and the challenge would be to produce something better."

Under the new agreement, cPanel, Inc., will now have a financial stake in WHMCS Ltd. This strategy gives WHMCS Ltd. access to cPanel, Inc.'s vast business resources, and also allows both companies to benefit from shared expertise under a "brain trust" model. As a result, customers can enjoy tighter integration and an optimized exchange of information between the two individual platforms. WHMCS will not be included in cPanel & WHM, thus there will be no automatic deployment or need to opt-out within cPanel or WHM.

I hope the cPanel developers don't destroy WHMCS too much. Kind of curious as to what this means for WHMCS's support for other control panels such as Plesk.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010

Anaxite posted:

Though it's primarily for Postini, Google's documentation has some interesting information about MX records. http://www.google.com/support/enterprise/static/postini/docs/admin/en/activate/mx_faq.html

Otherwise what Rufo said is basically it, but here's the expanded version.

MX record values contain two things: The priority number and a hostname, in that order and separated by a space.

The priority number is an integer and determines which MX record should be tried first by whoever is sending you mail (1 has the highest priority, bigger numbers have lower priority). As the priority is relative, it doesn't matter what you put in as long as it's in the right order. Multiple MX records can share the same number, which means they're equally likely to be picked. If you only have one record, put whatever number you want and go hog wild.

The hostname cannot be an IP address. While it has to be the name of the server your mail should be sent to, if you use an outside spam filter -- like, hey, Postini -- your MX records will be what the service wants you to use. Hostnames, like in CNAME records, always end with a dot.

Awesome responses guys, guess I'm in over my head.

I have a mac mini sitting in a data center. I have a domain that I would like to set up email for, using the mac mini as an email server. I have an IP address for the mini, what records do I need to configure, so that the mini starts receiving mail?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Go ahead and get email setup and working just to see how that whole process works, and then immediately switch to Google apps because gently caress hosting your own email. It's not worth it.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Galler posted:

Go ahead and get email setup and working just to see how that whole process works, and then immediately switch to Google apps because gently caress hosting your own email. It's not worth it.

This but optionally skip step 1

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Galler posted:

Used to be viable 10-15 years ago. Absolutely not a reasonable choice today.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
As a hosting provider, I don't even want to be hosting email. Trying to explain to customers why their messages aren't always delivered to people's inboxes is frustrating as hell.

It was easy a while ago before webmail became an acceptable replacement to the POP/IMAP client. Now, with spam buttons so prominently displayed, people are accidentally flagging messages from recipients and wondering why they're no longer getting mail from that recipient. Yes, people use the spam button as a delete button since they both get the message off the screen.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

optikalus posted:

It was easy a while ago before webmail became an acceptable replacement to the POP/IMAP client. Now, with spam buttons so prominently displayed, people are accidentally flagging messages from recipients and wondering why they're no longer getting mail from that recipient. Yes, people use the spam button as a delete button since they both get the message off the screen.

Use the unsubscribe link! :argh:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

But don't use the unsubscribe link on actual spam that you didn't sign up for!

Do you think the general population can tell??

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Bob Morales posted:

That would be great if your average mailing list didn't hide the unsubscribe link in 2 point font in the bottom left corner of a noisy patterned background and include the "allow two weeks for the change to take effect" so they can continue sending you mail for another two weeks.

If it's any harder to unsubscribe than clicking a clearly labeled sidebar or footer link and clicking OK on the confirmation window that pops up, you deserve every spam report and blacklist you get.

corgski fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 18, 2012

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Bob Morales posted:

This, a million times this. I once took a call from someone who had signed up for updates from a music-related forum; he was flagging those email updates as spam and was annoyed that some were still coming through.

I ended up explaining that just because he hated all the young people talking about music he didn't like was not a good reason to flag everything as spam, and he should unsubscribe what he signed up for.

^^^ yeah, for every legitimate unsubscribe there's always dozens of lovely ones. :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's like my old boss, "I keep marking these as spam but they keep coming back! I don't know why I even signed up for this dumb newsletter!"

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I'm on linode 512, and was checking my munin graphs when I see this:

Which appeared to have been caused by this:

All other metrics are otherwise normal. I am assuming one or more xen nodes on the same physical server was doing something disk intensive - is this something I can expect with any frequency? Is there anything I can do about it? Is it a big deal?

edit: xvdb is swap - why would speed of the swap disk affect my http load time?

rawrr fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 19, 2012

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

What datacentre are you in? We were have trouble with our connection today, I think someone was getting DoS'd.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

rawrr posted:

I'm on linode 512, and was checking my munin graphs when I see this:

Which appeared to have been caused by this:

All other metrics are otherwise normal. I am assuming one or more xen nodes on the same physical server was doing something disk intensive - is this something I can expect with any frequency? Is there anything I can do about it? Is it a big deal?

edit: xvdb is swap - why would speed of the swap disk affect my http load time?

What are your memory stats? It looks like you're hitting the swapfile, and that's going to kill performance. Get a bigger instance or tweak your web/database configurations to free up some RAM.

Can you plot bandwidth against those disk times?

What's running on that server, a forum, CMS, etc?

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010

wanderlost posted:

I have a mac mini sitting in a data center. I have a domain that I would like to set up email for, using the mac mini as an email server. I have an IP address for the mini, what records do I need to configure, so that the mini starts receiving mail?

I would really appreciate some actual help with this, or at least someone could point me in the right direction? I appreciate that y'all apparently think I'm crazy, but I'd really like to at least try to host my own email.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wanderlost posted:

I would really appreciate some actual help with this, or at least someone could point me in the right direction? I appreciate that y'all apparently think I'm crazy, but I'd really like to at least try to host my own email.

It basically goes like this:

Create an MX record for your domain, like mail.wanderlost.com. Point it at the IP address of your Mini.

The configure the mailserver on the Mini to accept mail from that domain. Then allow connections via IMAP/POP3/SMTP to get the mail from your client.

Are you running OS X Server or just regular OS X?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Create an MX record for your domain, like mail.wanderlost.com. Point it at the IP address of your Mini.

specifically your zone file needs two things

yourdomain.com. MX 10 mail
mail.yourdomain.com. A 69.88.420.247

I used to run postfix+dovecot+amavis+spamassassin with a mysql db to manage the accounts. I used debian but builds of them all doubtless exist on OSX. It was a complete loving nightmare and I strongly advise you to not waste your time. You're not teaching yourself a useful skill here; frankly you're being a bit of an idiot.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Rufo posted:

frankly you're being a bit of an idiot.

Agreed. I did it for my business for a while with the Windows email stack - hMailServer+ClamWin+SpamAssassin - and it was a huge waste of time. Spam still made it through, and it used a surprising amount of server resources for mail (handling the massive spam)

Setup GApps or go with one of the 10,000 cheap mail hosting services.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I'd really like to move away from Google Apps for Domains mail. Any recommendations for a fast IMAP email host with a pretty interface?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Granite Octopus posted:

I'd really like to move away from Google Apps for Domains mail. Any recommendations for a fast IMAP email host with a pretty interface?

Do you mind me asking why? I haven't made the jump, I'm just curious what's deficient with Google Apps.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Granite Octopus posted:

I use FastMail. They're not free, but have served me well.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Quick question. Does anyone know which domain registrar Google Apps use? Or do they have their own?

I notice they give an option to register a domain with them through the sign up, but how would you transfer your domain name to them?

My hosting package is about to end and I need somewhere to manage my DNS records (for free preferably.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

transfer it to namecheap/gandi and use dns.he.net for the dns