Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Fun fact: Within weeks of Playism taking over after Nicalis hosed up for an entire year, the game is back on track for a US/EU Wii release. The German ratings board just certified the game. No set date, but they're fairly confident on 'soon'.

Without the DLC, which for how often it has come up is sounding more and more like it was the problem all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

Without the DLC, which for how often it has come up is sounding more and more like it was the problem all along.

Was the DLC free in Japan?

Nicalis mentioned wanting a 3DS port which is where I'd like to see the game. 2GB size limit and an audience that actually exists. Plus I think the game is suitable for a portable platform because it's very pick-up-and-play.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Was the DLC free in Japan?

No. My unfounded theory with no evidence to support it is that NoA had a problem with the way it was implemented in the game, in the sense that there's no convenient menu option to "go to Hell Temple" and people who paid for it could easily never actually figure out how to get into it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

tooooooo bad posted:

No. My unfounded theory with no evidence to support it is that NoA had a problem with the way it was implemented in the game, in the sense that there's no convenient menu option to "go to Hell Temple" and people who paid for it could easily never actually figure out how to get into it.

Given how loving convoluted accessing that is, I'd say that's fair on NoA's part. :v:

(seriously, did the hints make ANY sense or have ANY relevance to the tasks at hand at all in the original game? Was it one of those things that made more sense in Japanese? What about this brand new remake?

I mean I know the place is meant for masochists only, but still.)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 15, 2012

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, no problems at all here, either. The complaints seem to be along the lines of 'it's not exactly the same as it was seven years ago' - those who are starting fresh don't even have a point of reference here.

I get the impression that the items were moved around just to screw with the people familiar with the original, at least that is what it feels like to me if only because I had such a set order for the first third of the game.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Given how loving convoluted accessing that is, I'd say that's fair on NoA's part. :v:

(seriously, did the hints make ANY sense or have ANY relevance to the tasks at hand at all in the original game? Was it one of those things that made more sense in Japanese? What about this brand new remake?

I mean I know the place is meant for masochists only, but still.)

The process in the remake is much the same, bad hints included. Look forward to reading instructions on the Wiki. :toot:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
For the record, I hate that thread title. :argh:

Anyway, I have never played this game before and I need a Metroid fix. Is this my kind of game?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
I really like the new Confusion Gate.

It was one of my favorite zones in the original, but I like the whole Eden illusion and the updated Wonder of the Wonder as well.

TaurusOxford posted:

For the record, I hate that thread title. :argh:

Anyway, I have never played this game before and I need a Metroid fix. Is this my kind of game?

If you like Metroidvanias, then yeah, give it a shot.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Welp I'm stumped. Again.

Early on the villager mentions something about a hot spring to restore health. But... where in the hell is it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ShadeofDante posted:

Welp I'm stumped. Again.

Early on the villager mentions something about a hot spring to restore health. But... where in the hell is it?

Straight left from the very start of the game, against the far wall.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

tooooooo bad posted:

You need to solve a puzzle and find an item in the Spring in the Sky.
I flooded the Temple of the Sun, is that what I need to do first?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Zeether posted:

I flooded the Temple of the Sun, is that what I need to do first?

Assuming you found the Origin Seal while you were there head down to the room in the Temple of the Sun outside the entrance to Extinction and a waterspout should lift you up to the seal you need to hit to open the door.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
God, this game is soooo hard, but it feels sooooo good. Does this mean I'm a masochist?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I have the bronze mirror now, but I can't open a gate that is supposed to be opened by it in the Mausoleum of the Giants.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Zeether posted:

I have the bronze mirror now, but I can't open a gate that is supposed to be opened by it in the Mausoleum of the Giants.

Beat the boss.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I've taken down 5 bosses, have every subweapon, and I still have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

Is this a normal feeling?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Speaking of hot springs, a tablet or an email or someone I talked to hinted that there might be more springs in the ruins themselves. Has anyone located any?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

FPzero posted:

Speaking of hot springs, a tablet or an email or someone I talked to hinted that there might be more springs in the ruins themselves. Has anyone located any?

I found one in the graveyard of the giants.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Huzzah! posted:

I found one in the graveyard of the giants.

That's the only other one as far as I'm aware.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

RaspberryCommie posted:

That's the only other one as far as I'm aware.

That was a lava pit though?

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Control Volume posted:

That was a lava pit though?

solution: you're in an ice cave, drop some ice in that thing and make it nice and comfy

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The boss fight at the temple of the sun is so goddamn cool but so loving hard, especially when you go melee.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Forer posted:

solution: you're in an ice cave, drop some ice in that thing and make it nice and comfy

Haha welp, the thought of doing this never even crossed my mind.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

This game is just baffling. I've played for three hours now and I'm not really having any fun but I want to keep playing for whatever reason.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
In the first room of the temple of the sun there's a fall to some puzzle-lit platforms. If you fall down here, are you not supposed to be able to get out without warping? I hit a button in that room that sounded like it was supposed to have opened up the trap door preventing you from getting out, but I did it before that door came down. Did I bug this, or is it really designed to be this lovely?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 15, 2012

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Verviticus posted:

In the first room of the temple of the sun there's a fall to some puzzle-lit platforms. If you fall down here, are you not supposed to be able to get out without warping? I hit a button in that room that sounded like it was supposed to have opened up the trap door preventing you from getting out, but I did it before that door came down. Did I bug this, or is it really designed to be this lovely?

There's a oddly lit block you can hit when you're climbing one of the ladders that open a path to the entrance.

And gently caress the confusion gate teleport puzzle, I assume I'm missing something since I've hit every wall and ceiling and tried different ways of going into the teleports. And they all end with me spending another weight to get back in. :(

I thought I already got the "search for item on your knees blabla" when I found the first secret passage, apparently not.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 15, 2012

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
How were you supposed to find the entrance to the Temple of Moonlight? firing a flare at the sun seems completely nonintuitive and I'd never have figured it out if I hadn't spoiled myself accidentally - the tablet right next to it hints about the existence of the moon temple, but doesn't imply at all that flares are needed.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Wolpertinger posted:

How were you supposed to find the entrance to the Temple of Moonlight? firing a flare at the sun seems completely nonintuitive and I'd never have figured it out if I hadn't spoiled myself accidentally - the tablet right next to it hints about the existence of the moon temple, but doesn't imply at all that flares are needed.

What? They aren't, I never even had flares when I went there. You can just hit the sun until it falls down, if that's the part you mean?

Also wow, finding the Book of the Dead is pretty terrible this time around. Don't bother looking for it, the girl in the Temple of the Sun just gives it to you at some arbitrary point in the game. I could have used the drat thing ages ago. It wasn't like this in the original, right? I seem to recall finding it somewhere..

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 15, 2012

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Does the English version have a Japanese language option? Trying to decide which one to buy, I would rather play the original but would also like to check out the English translation if they're both available in one version.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Ara posted:

Does the English version have a Japanese language option?

Yes it does.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I haven't got the game running on Linux yet, but I have got it working on an old Windows laptop and I'm stuck in the Gate of Guidance. I know the ankh is "beyond the path of gazing faces", which I'm guessing is the faces in the Heavenly Corridor. I've activated the invisible path between them and put a weight on the inaccessible pedestal at the end of it. It doesn't seem to have done anything though?

Also, what's with the chest right at the west end of the area with a pedestal that skewers you if you put a weight on it?

Fliptwist
Mar 16, 2001

I'm fat, black, cranky, and menopausal! You do NOT want to mess with me!
Pillbug

Klaus Kinski posted:

And gently caress the confusion gate teleport puzzle, I assume I'm missing something since I've hit every wall and ceiling and tried different ways of going into the teleports. And they all end with me spending another weight to get back in. :(

I thought I already got the "search for item on your knees blabla" when I found the first secret passage, apparently not.

Here's a direct solution to where I think you're stuck, that section frustrated me for a while.

Smash the first of the four pots you teleport to and push down, walk right through the wall you teleport to.

Does anyone have tips on what I missed getting to Bahamut's ankh?

The floodgate switch seems to be missing a piece and I've explored the spring in the sky completely I think. Sun temple is flooded and I think a couple of pedestals I've activated have made the floodgate switch appear but not fully maybe.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Fliptwist posted:

Here's a direct solution to where I think you're stuck, that section frustrated me for a while.

Smash the first of the four pots you teleport to and push down, walk right through the wall you teleport to.

Does anyone have tips on what I missed getting to Bahamut's ankh?

The floodgate switch seems to be missing a piece and I've explored the spring in the sky completely I think. Sun temple is flooded and I think a couple of pedestals I've activated have made the floodgate switch appear but not fully maybe.
Yeah, I got that part like 5 seconds after I posted. Is there a way to destroy the fairy blocks littered around the later part of the gate?

e: Oh ankh, nevermind. I think you just have to complete the flooding event in the lower part of the tower and then climb to the top and hit the gear outside the boat room

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

If you're patient, this guy isn't so tough.

The boss goes to the same center platform edge to throw his rocks. You can get to the edge, jump up, whip him once, and run away. If he hasn't thrown the rock in that center platform yet and you want more room to maneuver, just hang back on the platform up and to the right and throw shurikens at him. The chain whip is definitely worth it.

This tactic isn't working at all for me - the whip's range is way too short to hit him without practically brushing against him, and since he moves left and right that causes it to be really easy to bump into him and lose a massive chunk of health. Whenever he grabs a boulder, I have no way of predicting which one he'll go for, so he often rushes through me and takes off 1/8th of my health in the process. Also, since whipping him is so finnicky it makes it almost impossible for me to run away in time, so I get hit by pretty much every fireball

I still haven't managed to kill ANYTHING except for the first boss which ate my pistol ammo up, and the conception seal miniboss as well as the inferno cavern entrance miniboss. All the bosses are frustratingly obnoxiously difficult because all of them require you to stand on the exact pixel where you can whip them without touching them and taking damage, while in the mean time they're moving so that exact pixel does too. The whip really seems unreliable :smith: Every single boss i'm stuck on I can't kill because of the whip's pathetically short range getting me killed.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Okay, am I doing something wrong or is the game bugging out on me? It's about the Anubis Mid-boss.

I've tried attacking him, then going back to Mulkbruk to get the book of the dead, but she isn't giving me anything. Is there something I'm supposed to do beforehand?

Edit: Nevermind. I managed to solve it. I feel pretty :saddowns: now.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 15, 2012

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Huzzah! posted:

Yes it does.

Thanks!

slayn
Jul 12, 2006

Forer posted:

so unrelated, since the gun is an item you can get immediately and isn't a spoiler then who here used all their shots already? I ended up using two shots on a boss sakit and after having trouble with a miniboss twin miniboss pegasus after getting aggrivated I just said screw it and went to town.

was worth every bullet, including the two I missed
I used 5 shots to take down a boss that was pissing me off. You can buy more bullets in town, but they are like 400/box

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

Chain Whip Guardian
I've beaten this guy by using about 40 or so of the different sub-weapons. Shurikens are easy to aim, but they don't seem to do a lot of damage. If you've got caltrops or the rolling shurikens, you can throw them on top of his head to do some pretty good damage. Just stand on the little platform just after he grabs a rock, throw a few volleys, dodge his counterattack and repeat.

I'd highly recommend getting that chain whip though, as it makes the early bosses a lot easier, especially since you mention having trouble with them.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

tooooooo bad posted:

Come back with a better weapon the Axe. I can't overstate how much of a difference it makes re: early game bosses.

I wasn't expecting this to make so much of a difference but it really does. Beat both guardian 2 and 3 in one shot after getting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slayn
Jul 12, 2006
I need help figuring out how to get the book of the dead. At this point I've killed I think 4 bosses, and explored many areas, and feel like I'm blocked on so many things without the double jump.. And I think the above item is the piece of the chain I'm missing to be able to get it.

• Locked thread