Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Krad posted:

You should look into Valkyria Chronicles, it's the best SRPG the PS3 has right now.
Maybe the best one that it will ever have, because the SRPG genre, like many other Japanese genres, has moved pretty much entirely to portables.

edit: think of VC as like the combat phase of X-Com, but somewhat easier and anime.

edit: no blaster bombs though. What I wouldn't give for blaster bombs in VC...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Krad posted:

MK9's story mode sill beats any epilogues other fighting games may have. :downs:
I've already played MK9! Was very happy with it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

axleblaze posted:

A bit late in chiming in on this but Gotham City Imposters really is pretty good. I suck at it something feirce but I'm having a good time healing people with a megaphone or turning invisible and killing people from behind with a katana or hatchet.

Shoot me a friend request, explosivo98. I've been playing this a good bit and could use some more goons to play with.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe the best one that it will ever have, because the SRPG genre, like many other Japanese genres, has moved pretty much entirely to portables.

edit: think of VC as like the combat phase of X-Com, but somewhat easier and anime.

edit: no blaster bombs though. What I wouldn't give for blaster bombs in VC...
Weren't the makers of that cancelled X-Com game interviewed one time and they said that it would have played more or less like VC?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Krad posted:

You should look into Valkyria Chronicles, it's the best SRPG the PS3 has right now.

I have that already, I still have to finish it, tho.

I was thinking something along of the lines of "Final Fantasy Tactics ported to HD". How good is the PSOne emulation?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Dammit, I don't want to buy neither a PSP nor the Vita...

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 16, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Weren't the makers of that cancelled X-Com game interviewed one time and they said that it would have played more or less like VC?

Yep.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If your local Best Buy happens to have a copy of Shadows of the Damned on the shelf, it's clearanced out to $9.99 at pretty much every store. You can't search for it on the Best Buy website, but if you go here http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Shadows+of+the+Damned+-+PlayStation+3/2480074.p?id=1218329496059&skuId=2480074&lid=New you can at least get the store locator (which is apparently only accurate if your store has more than 3 copies). I ended up having to call around and ask by SKU though.

I've played it for a couple hours and I've definitely gotten $10 worth of fun out of it. The controls can be a little wonky at times, but the guns are fun and loud, and I'm having a good time with it for what it is, which is RE4 with bad dick jokes.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 16, 2012

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

HardDisk posted:

I have that already, I still have to finish it, tho.

I was thinking something along of the lines of "Final Fantasy Tactics ported to HD". How good is the PSOne emulation?
The PS1 version you can buy is literally like if you put your PS1 disc in the PS3 right now. It runs just the same.

You can watch videos of Rainbow Moon, or try the Vandal Hearts game. But that's about it. VH doesn't have job classes or anything like that. Just a straight forward SRPG.

Vandal Hearts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa0JwQcHdtM

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Did someone say Shadows of the Damned? Is there any way to buy that loving soundtrack? No?

Ok, I'll move on.

:sigh:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Harlock posted:

The PS1 version you can buy is literally like if you put your PS1 disc in the PS3 right now. It runs just the same.

I know, I was talking about if there's any issues with the emulation. :)

quote:

You can watch videos of Rainbow Moon, or try the Vandal Hearts game. But that's about it. VH doesn't have job classes or anything like that. Just a straight forward SRPG.

I'll look into it, thanks. E: There's no demo. :(

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 16, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

HardDisk posted:

Sorry to interrupt the fighting-game talk, but is there any good Final-Fantasy Tactics-like game for the PS3 or should I go straight for the PSOne port?

Well this game called "Rainbow Moon" just got released on PSN.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Not exactly PS3 talk but I have played the PSP version of Tactics Ogre a bit recently and...I don't like it very much. It didn't benefit from a lot of gameplay improvements Tactics made to the genre. A lot of it is just optimization of menus, it's a BITCH to properly equip 12+ soldiers without a "try on" function at shops.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not exactly PS3 talk but I have played the PSP version of Tactics Ogre a bit recently and...I don't like it very much. It didn't benefit from a lot of gameplay improvements Tactics made to the genre. A lot of it is just optimization of menus, it's a BITCH to properly equip 12+ soldiers without a "try on" function at shops.
Wait until you get further in and have to deal with the terrible crafting system!

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
If you think that's bad wait until you start crafting poo poo painfully slow for everyone in your active team. I've played TO and a halfway through FFTWOTL and the amount of effort they put between the two is night and day. The sound effects in FFT sound really bad and dated that I thought the game was broken or something but nope it just sounds like poo poo.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Speedball posted:

Well this game called "Rainbow Moon" just got released on PSN.

No demo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Surlaw posted:

Wait until you get further in and have to deal with the terrible crafting system!
Yeah I don't think I'll be doing that. It's interesting from a historical point of view to see where FFT came from, but as an actual game it is rather infuriating.

The only upcoming SRPG release on the PS3 I know of is Super Robot Wars OGS 2nd in December or something, but Japan only. I bet the developers were strongly recommended against developing it for the PS3, but did it anyway. I hope they don't regret it...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 16, 2012

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Any tips for MGS2 on Extreme, or should I just quietly admit defeat on this platinum? This loving Harrier can take me down in one shot if I'm unlucky, and the two rations I have aren't worth anything against a barrage of missiles with only a two second warning.

And I think I even have all of the dog tags I needed, too... :smithicide:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I finally got around to renting Heavy Rain. I was kind of let down. :( Many times it tried to be artsy or a bit grim, but it all came on too strong and it ended up feeling very awkward. I'm usually give games as many chances as they need but this one feels like its going to be this awkward all the way through. That and the previous person seemed to have dipped it in some non-water liquid and never bothered cleaning it off, so some of the levels are bugged.

Also what can you guys say about Ratchet and Clank: a Crack in Time? I was a huge R&C fan back in the PS2 days. I was in love with every single title. I played Tools of Destruction, and as much as I liked it, the gameplay didn't feel all the same. By the time Deadlocked was around, the gameplay was pretty twitchy and fast paced. It felt like ToD took a few steps back in that regard. I think this is more of a combination of rose-tinted goggles more than anything else, but I've been meaning to get around to this title.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Avocados posted:

I finally got around to renting Heavy Rain. I was kind of let down. :( Many times it tried to be artsy or a bit grim, but it all came on too strong and it ended up feeling very awkward. I'm usually give games as many chances as they need but this one feels like its going to be this awkward all the way through. That and the previous person seemed to have dipped it in some non-water liquid and never bothered cleaning it off, so some of the levels are bugged.

Also what can you guys say about Ratchet and Clank: a Crack in Time? I was a huge R&C fan back in the PS2 days. I was in love with every single title. I played Tools of Destruction, and as much as I liked it, the gameplay didn't feel all the same. By the time Deadlocked was around, the gameplay was pretty twitchy and fast paced. It felt like ToD took a few steps back in that regard. I think this is more of a combination of rose-tinted goggles more than anything else, but I've been meaning to get around to this title.

I agree on Heavy Rain. It's sort of the epitome of trying too hard for me. David Cage thinks he's way more clever than he actually is. It's an interesting experiment, but it didn't really work for me.

I liked Crack in Time. It's similar to ToD for the most part though. If you can get it for cheap, give it a try.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010
For people wondering about Rainbow Moon, this is just my opinion, but I am absolutely loving it. I'm currently at 9 hours on hard difficulty and it's getting near impossible to stop myself from playing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
One of my good friends just finished Heavy Rain but I told her not to play it again because I remember hearing that not much changes on different playthroughs. But for her, I don't think the illusion has been broken yet.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

RichterIX posted:

If your local Best Buy happens to have a copy of Shadows of the Damned on the shelf, it's clearanced out to $9.99 at pretty much every store. You can't search for it on the Best Buy website, but if you go here http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Shadows+of+the+Damned+-+PlayStation+3/2480074.p?id=1218329496059&skuId=2480074&lid=New you can at least get the store locator (which is apparently only accurate if your store has more than 3 copies). I ended up having to call around and ask by SKU though.

I've played it for a couple hours and I've definitely gotten $10 worth of fun out of it. The controls can be a little wonky at times, but the guys are fun and loud, and I'm having a good time with it for what it is, which is RE4 with bad dick jokes.

Thanks a lot dude, I enjoyed the poo poo out of Lollipop Chainsaw and have been meaning to pick that one up ever since

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

One of my good friends just finished Heavy Rain but I told her not to play it again because I remember hearing that not much changes on different playthroughs. But for her, I don't think the illusion has been broken yet.

It's just that the illusion of choice is sort of shattered when you can see where the actual forks in the road are. Though it's actually pretty hard to kill some of the characters, the possible outcomes can be pretty different, all told. My roommate had literally the worst possible outcome: everyone died and the Origami Killer walked. Mine was the polar opposite, but 90% of our games were pretty similar, so yeah, you kinda peek behind the curtain a little.

I still think Heavy Rain was pretty drat effective in coaxing out emotions and forcing you to do things that were way outside the bounds of previous games. Like re-playing the game, though, I think knowing about David Cage and his Cage-ness ends up kinda tainting one's perspective of the game a little, which is unfortunate.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I let the detective with the fancy glasses, die. I didn't like that jerk.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
Heavy Rain still has one of the most exhilirating scenes in recent memory: after almost getting killed, driving up to that house as the P.I. and shooting all those dudes.. It's not often that I find myself internalizing the emotions of a video game character, but that scene did it perfectly. There are several scenes in that game that do that actually, but that one was just so satisfying.

edit: while we're sharing, I killed the Oragami killer and got the detective fired

BlindNinja fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 16, 2012

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Alright! I beat that Extreme MGS2 Harrier after a billion tries. Now the only big worries I have are Vamp, the Soldier Fights, and the Ray Armada. ... :smith: It's not any easier at all from here on, is it.

I suppose I'll ask this here though, since I'm sure I will have trouble with it- when Vamp's HP gets to around 1/3rd, he enters a sort of "berserker" mode where he runs and flips around on the catwalks. It's pretty hard to dodge him like this, and even harder to attack him. Are there any good strategies for what to do at this point? At this point, all I'm expecting is to use a billion grenades and cross my fingers that I'll get lucky again after a bunch of tries.

edit: Got Vamp after an hour and a half of battling. Pretty much won thanks to luck, like I said. :shobon: I hope I won't have a problem with the Rays. I'm usually pretty good with them. The fight itself is kind of fun. Leg shot, head shot, repeat.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 16, 2012

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

I said come in! posted:

I let the detective with the fancy glasses, die. I didn't like that jerk.

Naaarrman Jaaydan, god I hated the voice actor for him.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

The Grimace posted:

Alright! I beat that Extreme MGS2 Harrier after a billion tries. Now the only big worries I have are Vamp, the Soldier Fights, and the Ray Armada. ... :smith: It's not any easier at all from here on, is it.

I suppose I'll ask this here though, since I'm sure I will have trouble with it- when Vamp's HP gets to around 1/3rd, he enters a sort of "berserker" mode where he runs and flips around on the catwalks. It's pretty hard to dodge him like this, and even harder to attack him. Are there any good strategies for what to do at this point? At this point, all I'm expecting is to use a billion grenades and cross my fingers that I'll get lucky again after a bunch of tries.

edit: Got Vamp after an hour and a half of battling. Pretty much won thanks to luck, like I said. :shobon: I hope I won't have a problem with the Rays. I'm usually pretty good with them. The fight itself is kind of fun. Leg shot, head shot, repeat.

I can only assume you're probably dog tagging it up too while playing (I think that's needed for the Platinum?) and I'm in awe, sir/madam. Keep it up, man, you can do it. Then you too will join the ranks of insane Europeans that laugh in the face of the "normal" challenge other regions think is hard.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Harlock posted:

It's me. I'm the guy who used to play fighting games just to see everyone's ending video / epilogue.

Harada's already announced everyone in Tekken 6 will get a traditional Tekken ending, which usually involves an epilogue and a hilarious ending movie, rather than just a 'you win' screen. He's also announced there will be a swimsuit DLC - for everyone, including the burly 8 foot robots and the panda, bear, kangaroo and tyrannosaur.

Guy knows what his fanbase likes.

Question Mark Mound posted:

What? poo poo, when did that happen?

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Stelas posted:

What? poo poo, when did that happen?

I'm guessing you're confusing things. We're talking the old XCOM. The two new ones are still going, especially the one that matters (though I don't think the other is so bad; people just hate something new with an old name).

Which inflames a little rant I've expressed to friends: you can't have it both ways. Either a game is cranked out and is seen as "just another one of those" (Call of Duty) or they go and try to change it up and people spaz out (XCOM, Devil May Cry, whatever). WHO GIVES A gently caress. The old games are still there, and they aren't made less by a new game, so let 'em gently caress with it. And if they don't, if the formula is good, stop whining about how similar it is; you're probably not buying the games anyway, the people that like that kind of gameplay are.

Basically, shut the gently caress up and let people make something. It's not an issue here as much as elsewhere (I think? It's been a while since I had to brave any kind of place outside of here. I think I like being an Internet hermit).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a tryon function... maybe you use the analog stick to switch windows and it's in there?

I actually like the PSP TO quite a bit and it's a really good remake, but I prefer the gameplay of FFT. In TO way too many battles consist of 3 or 4 units flinging poo poo at slowly approaching enemies and by the time my melee team is there everything is dead.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

EC posted:

Did someone say Shadows of the Damned? Is there any way to buy that loving soundtrack? No?

I found a place to buy a copy online, unfortunately it costs a good $70. Shame there's no way to get any of GHM's other soundtracks, I'd love a No More Heroes 2 soundtrack but unfortunately they only pressed 1000 of them.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

TO and FFT both have systems that keep bringing me back. I really prefer FFT's job system and JP when it comes to building up characters, but I really like the amount of party members that are allowed to join in battles in TO. Both games allow the player to make some really kick rear end characters, but... both games also suffer strange quirks, like FFT's Treasure Hunting in Midlight's Deep, or grinding crafting even at high levels. The gameplay in both of them shines through all of the cons.

SamBishop posted:

I can only assume you're probably dog tagging it up too while playing (I think that's needed for the Platinum?) and I'm in awe, sir/madam. Keep it up, man, you can do it. Then you too will join the ranks of insane Europeans that laugh in the face of the "normal" challenge other regions think is hard.

Haha, thanks. Yeah, Extreme is the last mode I need dog tags for, and I think I just got Hideo Kojima's. God, I hope I didn't miss any. I'm too afraid to look!

I honestly do not think I could handle European-Extreme though. As I understand it, there are no rations available at all in that mode? Christ, I would never make it past certain story parts. Fortune and the Arsenal Tengu battle had me using rations like candy.

Just need to beat the Rays and Solidus. I think I'll save that for tomorrow though, I've had a long enough day as is. :unsmith:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Grimace posted:

TO and FFT both have systems that keep bringing me back. I really prefer FFT's job system and JP when it comes to building up characters, but I really like the amount of party members that are allowed to join in battles in TO. Both games allow the player to make some really kick rear end characters, but... both games also suffer strange quirks, like FFT's Treasure Hunting in Midlight's Deep, or grinding crafting even at high levels. The gameplay in both of them shines through all of the cons.

Haha, thanks. Yeah, Extreme is the last mode I need dog tags for, and I think I just got Hideo Kojima's. God, I hope I didn't miss any. I'm too afraid to look!

I honestly do not think I could handle European-Extreme though. As I understand it, there are no rations available at all in that mode? Christ, I would never make it past certain story parts. Fortune and the Arsenal Tengu battle had me using rations like candy.

Just need to beat the Rays and Solidus. I think I'll save that for tomorrow though, I've had a long enough day as is. :unsmith:

As someone who beat MGS2 on Extreme back in the PS2 days before there was any reward for it -

gently caress MGS2 on extreme. I'm looking at the trophy list for MGSHD now and I actually did everything in the MGS3 and MGS2 lists back in the day, no way I'd do some of it again. The worst part was definitely beating Extreme to finish off the Dog Tag collection.

It was legitimately very hard. I had so many saves and sometimes I would have to redo a boss because I needed more rations and couldn't beat the current one with what I had. I've beaten a lot of difficult games and I think MGS on Extreme was among the worst.

The good thing about the trophies is it looks like you get a lot of them for doing the optional easter eggs, so more people will see them. I always thought that was how you were supposed to use trophies.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
It took a couple hours but I'm starting to really enjoy Infamous 2. It's too bad that the new Cole sounds like such a whiny douche.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

As someone who beat MGS2 on Extreme back in the PS2 days before there was any reward for it -

gently caress MGS2 on extreme. I'm looking at the trophy list for MGSHD now and I actually did everything in the MGS3 and MGS2 lists back in the day, no way I'd do some of it again. The worst part was definitely beating Extreme to finish off the Dog Tag collection.

It was legitimately very hard. I had so many saves and sometimes I would have to redo a boss because I needed more rations and couldn't beat the current one with what I had. I've beaten a lot of difficult games and I think MGS on Extreme was among the worst.

The good thing about the trophies is it looks like you get a lot of them for doing the optional easter eggs, so more people will see them. I always thought that was how you were supposed to use trophies.

I did this too, and I don't think I'd do it again either. There is one cool thing about MGS2 on extreme though. Once you finally beat the Rays, which will make you hate life, you get to do the Solidus fight which is probably the hardest thing in the entire goddamn game. But after spending a long time on it, I remember it turning into this sort of transcendent experience that revealed how awesome the sword play could've been if it was utilized more. Because Solidus will force you to become perfect.

When I finally beat that battle, and had all of the dog tags, I felt like it was worth it, because it felt like conquering something.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SamBishop posted:

I'm guessing you're confusing things. We're talking the old XCOM. The two new ones are still going, especially the one that matters (though I don't think the other is so bad; people just hate something new with an old name).

Oh, phew. Yeah, I am - I was absolutely positive that the VC comment had come from one of the two newer remakes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nails posted:

I did this too, and I don't think I'd do it again either. There is one cool thing about MGS2 on extreme though. Once you finally beat the Rays, which will make you hate life, you get to do the Solidus fight which is probably the hardest thing in the entire goddamn game. But after spending a long time on it, I remember it turning into this sort of transcendent experience that revealed how awesome the sword play could've been if it was utilized more. Because Solidus will force you to become perfect.

When I finally beat that battle, and had all of the dog tags, I felt like it was worth it, because it felt like conquering something.

Yeah what the gently caress was that fight. The end of the game made you a god at MGS2, when I was younger I would buy a game and play through it like 10-11 times but when I beat MGS2 on Extreme I just went around school telling everyone I did it and never played it again.

The Ray fight had me doing some crazy cartwheel > missile cancel stuff, pulling out the sword to block machinegun fire, and by the time I could finally beat it I didn't get hit once the whole time. Then I had to do that loving mash triangle bit until my finger fell off.

Do people know that when you fight Solidus and he shoots those missiles, you can slash all of them in half with a perfectly timed sword combo? Well guess what, you're gonna have to know :v:

Do the VR missions expand on the gameplay that much? Especially the sword bits, so underused. I'm thinking of picking it up for Vita when I finish Peacewalker.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I remember fighting fortune in extreme with beeping health and no rations which took me ages because I saved at that spot. Beating it like that was something else let me tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Does anyone know if this PS2 card reader for PS3 will work on my PC? And if there is a cheaper option?

• Locked thread