Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

goldjas posted:

So question about 3 things I can't figure out, 2 of which are in the confusion gate:

1. Confusion Gate: How do i get the treasure in the lower leftish? Something about fairies is what the hint says but I don't see anything in that room nor have i ever seen fairies do anything to well anything besides heal and stuff.

2. Confusion Gate: I ran into some pixie in the upper rightish part of the area (after finishing the goddess tower) who was all black, said something that I don't really remember, then upon leaving the room there was a treasure chest surrounded by like 6 lasers. I'm guessing I'm supposed to do some puzzle to get rid of the lasers but I have no idea what.

3. I think there's an important item I'm supposed to buy somewhere in the Twins place (alluded to by a tablet), something about two shops, but besides the shop selling the helmet near the beginning (and I don't even remember where that was anymore) I don't recall ever seeing a shop there.

1) You need a Key Fairy to unlock the chest. It contains an item that cuts damage you take by half

2) There's some tablets in that same area of the confusion gate that appeared after you talked to the fairy. These, in a roundabout way, entail what you need to do. You must do this before you can get very far in the Chamber of Birth.

3) The thing about two shops is talking about the two brothers, I believe. Buy a bunch of weights from the shop that sold you the helmet and you'll unlock the other shop. It sells an item that will help you in the Ruins of the Mother.

4) Grab the Bombs from the Graveyard if you don't have them yet. Then you can get another useful item in the Labyrinth which is required to do #2 above.

edit:

RaspberryCommie posted:

So how do I reach that treasure in the Chamber of Birth that appeared when I used the Maternity Statue and the Dragon Skull?

I have the Crystal skull, so I can open it. I just have no idea how to get down to it.

You need to break the blocks from the other side then make an extremely careful jump.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

tooooooo bad posted:

Though walking through all of the numbers has the same effect :confuoot:

I'm not being held responsible for bad programming! :colbert:

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010

RaspberryCommie posted:

How am I supposed to hit Palengque? all of my shots bounce off of that gun thing he has in front.

Also how do I avoid the columns when he charges offscreen and he's not there to block them?

Subweapons!

Or if you want to know exactly what to do Stay above him and spam the rolling shurikens onto his head. He goes down really quick. Bit of a pushover really.

As for not getting hit I'm not quite sure, I never found it to be an issue.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Palenque in this game seems to be (over?)compensation for him being a total cheap bastard in the original.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Yeah. I ended up using flares and spears.

I remember him being easy as hell in the original game, but this time I had a lot of fun.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

SourceElement posted:

1) You need a Key Fairy to unlock the chest. It contains an item that cuts damage you take by half

How does one get a key fairy? Also I never saw a treasure box or anything in that room, or does the magic just happen if i get the fairy in there?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

goldjas posted:

How does one get a key fairy? Also I never saw a treasure box or anything in that room, or does the magic just happen if i get the fairy in there?

Pure, random chance. Or Miracle.exe + Mekuri.exe loaded at the same time guarantees you get one every time.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

goldjas posted:

You need to reveal the chest first by placing a weight on the pedestal underneath the grail point, which must be revealed by attacking the fairy block there from the right side (from the lift).

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

quote:

Palenque talk

You guys really should give the Chakrams a try. They do ridiculous amounts of damage to everything, but Palenque in particular just melts when hit by them. Though that doesn't even compare to how easy he was pre-patch on Wiiware (this doesn't work anymore).

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
I have conquered the Hell Temple. Your traps are nothing to me.

Pretty sure thats not supposed to happen.

I have to say this hell temple is a lot more friendly that the previous one. I encourage everyone to get the forbidden treasure it hides.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Does anyone know how to make the Big Mud Man spawn? :( The Dance of Life in the appropriate room did nothing!

edit: Ahaha, this game bugs out in the best ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UhUElGGjEM

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 17, 2012

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

SourceElement posted:

edit: Ahaha, this game bugs out in the best ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UhUElGGjEM

I've been trapped in the wall/floor quite a few times, but it always semi-teleports me out.

Actually got pushed through the floor into another screen in the Twin Labyrinths which makes me wonder if you can cheese any of the game doing something like that.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

SourceElement posted:

Pure, random chance. Or Miracle.exe + Mekuri.exe loaded at the same time guarantees you get one every time.

Where do you get Miracle.exe ?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

goldjas posted:

Tower of the Goddess. It's in a shop.

Also, on the topic of bugs, the same thing happened to me that was in SourceElement's video and once, when I unpaused, was still in the looking at my laptop. I'd just glide around, hitting things with my invisible weapons all the while using my laptop. That did make it so I couldn't pause or use the grail, but entering a door solved the issue.

Huzzah! fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 17, 2012

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

goldjas posted:

Gotta have the item I mentioned that was in the Twin Labyrinths and use it in the Tower of the Goddess, to place a weight on the pedestal before that large bell drops on it.

You're at the point in the game where you absolutely need bombs to continue. So grab those if you haven't gotten 'em already and chuck 'em at the only suspicious wall in the only room in the Twin Labyrinths that has a block puzzle.

I've also reached a point where I can't progress anymore without killing the Big Mud Man in that room I asked about above. I tried loading another save file and doing the dance again, but he still didn't appear.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 17, 2012

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
You're supposed to dance in another room. Go down instead of right where the moving block is.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Klaus Kinski posted:

You're supposed to dance in another room. Go down instead of right where the moving block is.

I danced down there, though. In the room with the Goddess of Beauty, where the tablet says to dance?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
If you did, he should spawn when you go into the room.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

SourceElement posted:

I danced down there, though. In the room with the Goddess of Beauty, where the tablet says to dance?

Did you activate both Flywheel areas near the Chamber of Birth Grail Point?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

RaspberryCommie posted:

Did you activate both Flywheel areas near the Chamber of Birth Grail Point?

Indeed I did. The one on the wall and the other behind the moving statue, right? As far as I can tell, I'm doing everything correct, the big guy just isn't spawning.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So, in the Twin Labyrinths there's a little platform identical to the little floating ones that's sitting uselessly on the ground in the room one east of the poison gas room - Muburk earlier said something like 'falling from a great height' will kickstart a broken platform, but I've tried jumping up to the ceiling and falling like six times and nothing's happened. Considering I can't leave the room without grailing back to the Temple of the Sun every time I try unless I can get this thing working, because the other flying platform is just out of reach, this is getting really old really fast - am I doing the right thing here or am I supposed to do something else?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

So, in the Twin Labyrinths there's a little platform identical to the little floating ones that's sitting uselessly on the ground - Muburk earlier said something like 'falling from a great height' will kickstart a broken platform, but I've tried jumping up to the ceiling and falling like six times and nothing's happened - considering i can't leave the room without grailing back to the Temple of the Sun every time I try unless I can get this thing working, this is getting really old really fast - am I doing the right thing here or am I supposed to do something else?

You need to go to the room above that area and fall on it from there.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

RaspberryCommie posted:

You need to go to the room above that area and fall on it from there.

Are we talking about the same room? this one seems to have nothing above it. I've seen something similar in the room with the Poseidon statue and that had an open ceiling, but this is a different one.

edit: it's this one : http://lamulana.super-turbo.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Image:Ww7_E1.jpg - the one on the right is off for me

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 17, 2012

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

Are we talking about the same room? this one seems to have nothing above it. I've seen something similar in the room with the Poseidon statue and that had an open ceiling, but this is a different one.

edit: it's this one : http://lamulana.super-turbo.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Image:Ww7_E1.jpg - the one on the right is off for me

e: nevermind thinking of the wrong puzzle.

e2: Go left two rooms from the Temple entrance.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 17, 2012

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

e: nevermind thinking of the wrong puzzle.

e2: Go left two rooms from the Temple entrance.

Ah, that worked.. such an odd puzzle - you don't even need it active to go back and forth, all it does is make it really annoying if you accidentally fall.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I believe I just figured out my issue.

When you pick up the Cog of Souls or whatever a little tablet appears with a fitting mark on it. I never "activated" that tablet with the item, so the mud men never spawned.

...yep! The Big Mud Man That Runs just spawned after I "activated" the item in the Confusion Gate.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
Oh god, Viy just murders me.

I just can't survive long enough and I have 250 health. Due to how the fight proceeds, it's just this short battle of attrition unless you get hit really hard. Attacking him with any weapon means taking a hit in return. How much do subweapons do? I've been using rolling shurikens in the little window after his eyelid opens but I've no idea how effective they are.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Argas posted:

Oh god, Viy just murders me.

I just can't survive long enough and I have 250 health. Due to how the fight proceeds, it's just this short battle of attrition unless you get hit really hard. Attacking him with any weapon means taking a hit in return. How much do subweapons do? I've been using rolling shurikens in the little window after his eyelid opens but I've no idea how effective they are.

Take out your weapon of choice, hang out near where his eyeball pops up with a shield out, and attack as fast as possible. I could get about 6 axe hits doing this, and then it's just a matter of patience until you get can a platform that hasn't been destroyed next to his eye again to repeat the process.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
edit nevermind, think I understand

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 17, 2012

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Control Volume posted:

Take out your weapon of choice, hang out near where his eyeball pops up with a shield out, and attack as fast as possible. I could get about 6 axe hits doing this, and then it's just a matter of patience until you get can a platform that hasn't been destroyed next to his eye again to repeat the process.

This really helped a ton. Lots of failed attempts, and then a run where I won had him give me three big openings without a destroyed platform. Got trapped under a platform at one point so it was much closer than it should've been but drat.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

An hour in and this game is already making me feel like the smartest and dumbest guy at the same time. I'm still romping through the first area of the ruins, although I have popped into others as well. I just recently got the Holy Grail but now I kinda feel stuck and I sort of just want to know how I should be approaching this game. I never played the original La-Mulana so I'm still getting used to how I should think about this game.

Two specific problems.

This place. I know what I should do but I think the execution is the problem. Spoilered just in case this is the right answer. Push the blocks onto that pressure plate at the bottom right, right? Or should I just push one? My problem is that if I push a block down it just falls NEXT to the pressure plate but not on it, and I don't think I can pull. So should I be using the two blocks on the lower level to do a kind of staggered pile which would allow me to push the last block onto the plate? Or holy poo poo if I just stack the two blocks will the last block's inertia from the second level just carry it onto the plate by itself?

EDIT:It did god drat I love this game

OK this I am still stuck on. I mostly want to know if I should be able to get into the central area where the two open chests and one stone tablet are, of if this is something I'll have to come back to later with an item?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Der Shovel posted:

An hour in and this game is already making me feel like the smartest and dumbest guy at the same time. I'm still romping through the first area of the ruins, although I have popped into others as well. I just recently got the Holy Grail but now I kinda feel stuck and I sort of just want to know how I should be approaching this game. I never played the original La-Mulana so I'm still getting used to how I should think about this game.

Two specific problems.

This place. I know what I should do but I think the execution is the problem. Spoilered just in case this is the right answer. Push the blocks onto that pressure plate at the bottom right, right? Or should I just push one? My problem is that if I push a block down it just falls NEXT to the pressure plate but not on it, and I don't think I can pull. So should I be using the two blocks on the lower level to do a kind of staggered pile which would allow me to push the last block onto the plate? Or holy poo poo if I just stack the two blocks will the last block's inertia from the second level just carry it onto the plate by itself?

EDIT:It did god drat I love this game

OK this I am still stuck on. I mostly want to know if I should be able to get into the central area where the two open chests and one stone tablet are, of if this is something I'll have to come back to later with an item?

Come back to that one later.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

After Shu http://i.imgur.com/vDVen.jpg I was just marveling at the lady ghosts I just saved, come on La-Mulana (I don't remember this from the original)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The lack of an OSX version of this game makes me cry. :negative: Has anyone figured out how to make it work?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 17, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
The Shu trap was hilarious and I laughed so hard even though I had to do it all over again.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Antinumeric posted:

The Shu trap was hilarious and I laughed so hard even though I had to do it all over again.

That happened to me even though I was explicitly staring and waiting I tried to run instead of using the grail, that was my mistake I love all the instant death traps because they're always so visible from the get go, meaning that you kinda 'should' expect it, but don't because 'oh it's just a background element' (it's also never 'just' a background element)

So spoilers about 'the last normal boss' Tiamat, so I went into this fight expecting to be able to use two clips of ammo and just wrecking her, and the game threw me for a loop and made me use bombs and axes, and killed me three times. That was an impressively satisfying boss though

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I cannot begin to describe how tired I am of seeing this specific room. Ninja comes out of nowhere and knocks you off a precarious platform? Flying bird shoots a laser at your back? Mis-thrown bomb blow you clear off the platform? Bad jump completely miss the tiny platform? Back to Land of Hell 2 with you!

15/35 in and I believe Hell Temple has beaten me.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shanty posted:

Come back to that one later.

OK, roughly when should I be pushing into the adjacent areas from the entrance? It feels like I can't do much anywhere, but I realize it may be in large thanks to me not getting what I should be doing yet.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I've come across some fairly weird things that don't seem to (at least clearly) belong to any puzzle I've found. Anyone have a clue what these are about?

In the Twin Labyrinths, a transparent version of the shield-and-axe enemy spawned where only one normal version normally spawns. The transparent one didn't hurt me, and neither could I hit it in any way I found. Huh?

I came to Inferno Cavern from the gate from Tower of Ruin. The first time I used the gate, an elevator with a pedestal rose up in the background - I was too far to get to it before it rose out of the screen, and haven't seen it since. Maybe it only spawns on the first time you enter the room..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Well, I finally beat the game

I'm a bit upset mother wasn't a puzzle boss anymore, it was just a "yup do a lot of killin', but the immediate "time bomb set get out fast" made up for it.

also in the credits under special thanks, madamluna and deceased crab were both there, how polite of nigoro

time to go to hell

• Locked thread