Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light and Saints Row 2 will be free tomorrow for PS+ members in Europe! Deus Ex: Human Revolution will go away as a freebie on Aug 1st, so get it while you can! It'll be replaced by another AAA title.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I'm thinking it would be a good idea for them to make Borderlands free for PSN+ subscribers next month (August), since Borderlands 2 is coming out in September.

Please do it!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'm thinking it would be a good idea for them to make Borderlands free for PSN+ subscribers next month (August), since Borderlands 2 is coming out in September.

Please do it!
It keeps cropping up in discounts a lot, I think I got it and all the DLC for €9.99 a couple of months ago. Non-PS+ too.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

It's been said countless times over the years, but Guardian of Light is one of the best couch co-op games you can get on PS3.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

bubbapook posted:

It's been said countless times over the years, but Guardian of Light is one of the best couch co-op games you can get on PS3.
It's also pretty good online.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Crows Turn Off posted:

Please do it!
This might actually get me to care about Borderlands 2. It would make sense marketting-wise, certainly.

(rented it ages ago after the buzz had died down, solo'ed, got tired of the re-tinted enemy++ treadmill... but I'd probably think of it differently if I'd gone through with a friend - and I can't imagine I'm the only one in that position)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Given the positive press, I have to say I'm very excited about Dyad today. :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

From what I've heard it's just a score attack game, see how far you can get through the same small group of levels, over and over again.

Is that really all Tokyo Jungle is? I was under the impression there was an ending, and at least some sort of storyline to it. Sounds like it ended up not being worth the hype. I'm glad I didn't jump on it, as tempting as it was. It was hard to get info because everything had to be translated.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Shalinor posted:

This might actually get me to care about Borderlands 2. It would make sense marketting-wise, certainly.

(rented it ages ago after the buzz had died down, solo'ed, got tired of the re-tinted enemy++ treadmill... but I'd probably think of it differently if I'd gone through with a friend - and I can't imagine I'm the only one in that position)
Well, I loved Borderlands, so I'm obviously excited for B2. I don't currently own it, though, and it would be nice to get it for being a PSN+ member.

And you played it completely wrong! Solo'd? What is that about? You need at least two people, and I would even go as far as to say that three people should be minimum. That's when the real fun starts.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Borderlands was a great game marred by really poo poo network & chat issues.

If that gets fixed (alongside all the cool poo poo they are doing) in 2, it's going to be stellar.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Feenix posted:

Given the positive press, I have to say I'm very excited about Dyad today. :)

The world needs more insanely trippy games. Just watching the GB quick look sold me on it despite still having no idea what the hell you're supposed to be doing in the game.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-dyad/17-6343/

Reviews from a couple of sites I usually agree with (Polygon and GameTrailers) are positive so I'm definitely gonna be picking it up today.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Guess who finally got a LBP Kart Beta code? :)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

TaurusOxford posted:

Guess who finally got a LBP Kart Beta code? :)
Likewise. Looks like another round of invites went out.

:hfive:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Are people still allowed to sign up for it? I want to try it out so bad, but I completely forgot to sign up in the window of time that signups were open.

Apparently I signed up while I was asleep or something, because I just got an invite, too!

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

...! posted:

It's really stupid. I can't believe how many companies have the balls to put out a $15 game with no demo. How many people would buy something like that?

I do. I will purchase 1000 more dyads for $15 if it means new innovative games keep popping up from badass loving devs that are open about their game and have a cool attitude about it.

By the way DYAD is up on the PSN NA store, just search for it. 1337 megs, like a boss.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Scyron posted:

I do. I will purchase 1000 more dyads for $15 if it means new innovative games keep popping up from badass loving devs that are open about their game and have a cool attitude about it.

By the way DYAD is up on the PSN NA store, just search for it. 1337 megs, like a boss.

The store's updated so no need to search. I have like a dozen games I'm in the middle of so I shouldn't have bought it but after watching a video and reading about the gameplay, I just had no choice...

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Is that really all Tokyo Jungle is? I was under the impression there was an ending, and at least some sort of storyline to it. Sounds like it ended up not being worth the hype. I'm glad I didn't jump on it, as tempting as it was. It was hard to get info because everything had to be translated.

It has a story mode, but the six or seven chapters of it that I unlocked before moving on were basically extended tutorials with a few brief cutscenes here and there. To play chapters in story mode you have to unlock them one-by-one in survival mode. They aren't hard to unlock, but assuming you'd ever like to use animals that aren't the two you start with you'll end up spending the vast majority of your time in survival mode. I think I was averaging around one/two hours of survival for every ten minutes (if that) of story mode before I just got bored and quit.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

axleblaze posted:

The store's updated so no need to search. I have like a dozen games I'm in the middle of so I shouldn't have bought it but after watching a video and reading about the gameplay, I just had no choice...

After all the time I spent on Zone mode and Detonator for wipEout HD, this should be a suitable replacement for the time being, also a platinum trophy. :D

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Yechezkel posted:

Speaking of a game finally coming out, Ratchet & Clank Collection is coming in North America on August 28 for $30, both on Bluray and on PSN. It will come with a demo for the Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time.

Is that Sly Cooper demo new to the NA version? I've had the EU version since it came out, but I haven't found a demo in it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

That loving Sned posted:

Is that Sly Cooper demo new to the NA version? I've had the EU version since it came out, but I haven't found a demo in it.

I believe its our reward for being patient.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, unsurprisingly DYAD is :catdrugs: as gently caress.

Its like Tempest, Rez and Zone Mode in Wipeout had a baby. It's hurting my eyes though.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

axleblaze posted:

Its like Tempest, Rez and Zone Mode in Wipeout had a baby. It's hurting my eyes though.

You almost say that last part like it's somehow a surprise given the previous sentence.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Is it fun? I couldnt tell what in the heck was going on in the dang video preview I tell you what.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

axleblaze posted:

I'm not epileptic, but I'm pretty sure I'd have a seizure if I tried to play that game. Holy geez. :stare:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Is it fun? I couldnt tell what in the heck was going on in the dang video preview I tell you what.

Too early to say, really. I think I'm liking it but my need to get three stars has been aggrivating on some levels, and that's not going into the trophy levels (once you get three stars on a level a seperate challenge unlocks that if you beat you get a trophy).

Out of any game I've seen, DYAD is a game you kinda have to play to understand what the gently caress is going on. Watching videos will jsut not help that much because it all just looks trippy as gently caress. As I said the gameplay is Tempest (you travel around the edge of a tunnel), meets Res (everything you do effects the music), meets zone mode in Wipeout (going faster and faster while avoiding obstacles with increasingly trippy visuals) and what I didn't mention is there's also a gem matching game in there (the way you gain speed is by matching colored objects).

Overall it's not really like anything else.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Too early to say, really. I think I'm liking it but my need to get three stars has been aggrivating on some levels, and that's not going into the trophy levels (once you get three stars on a level a seperate challenge unlocks that if you beat you get a trophy).

Out of any game I've seen, DYAD is a game you kinda have to play to understand what the gently caress is going on. Watching videos will jsut not help that much because it all just looks trippy as gently caress. As I said the gameplay is Tempest (you travel around the edge of a tunnel), meets Res (everything you do effects the music), meets zone mode in Wipeout (going faster and faster while avoiding obstacles with increasingly trippy visuals) and what I didn't mention is there's also a gem matching game in there (the way you gain speed is by matching colored objects).

Overall it's not really like anything else.

Hmmmmm alright I got a more specific question for you then, do you think the gem matching would be possible for someone who is color blind, i.e. are the gems very obviously different colors or are they combos that look the same i.e. red vs green, blue vs purple etc

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Hmmmmm alright I got a more specific question for you then, do you think the gem matching would be possible for someone who is color blind, i.e. are the gems very obviously different colors or are they combos that look the same i.e. red vs green, blue vs purple etc

I'm not far enough to tell, but I'm slightly colorblind too and haven't been having too much trouble, but they might add more colors later. I've had mroe trouble due to the sheer amount of visual overload.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I should have a PS3 again in a few days. I was curious if people are still playing Killzone 3? I thought they might have got a boost with the multi being F2P and all. I was going to grab a few cheap used games anyway and wondered if I should give it another shot.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think the dude behind Dyad's comparison to Torus Trooper is pretty apt.

Torus Trooper is pretty much all about going fast fast fast and Dyad is also about going fast fast fast. Though, Torus Trooper doesn't really send you on a acid trip through consumption.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

How is Rainbow Moon? From the trailer it looks kinda interesting, and I'm thinking about buying Dyad so I'll have to buy a $20 psn card so I thought I would pick it up as well, but I hven't found any reliable reviews (I generally trust goons more than videogame critics)

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Vincent posted:

How is Rainbow Moon? From the trailer it looks kinda interesting, and I'm thinking about buying Dyad so I'll have to buy a $20 psn card so I thought I would pick it up as well, but I hven't found any reliable reviews (I generally trust goons more than videogame critics)

I'm a couple hours in and I'm having fun with it. It starts out slow but once you start getting more party members and sub-turns things start opening up. It's straightforward without feeling overly simplistic, which is nice if you feel like getting into an RPG without learning a billion different systems and subsystems. Hard to say if it'll stay fun for the 40+ hours the game claims to be, but we'll see. My main complaint right now is the game's whole aesthetic is kinda ugly to me, and the dialog reads like the person who wrote it doesn't have a very good grasp of the English language.

One feature I find pretty hilarious is how the game gives you the option to decline random encounters. Hey, you feel like fighting these guys? Nah? Oh, OK. It's cool, maybe next time.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Roman posted:

I should have a PS3 again in a few days. I was curious if people are still playing Killzone 3? I thought they might have got a boost with the multi being F2P and all. I was going to grab a few cheap used games anyway and wondered if I should give it another shot.

It still has plenty of players, and 99% of matches still devolve into spawn camping after 2 minutes.

Team deathmatch isn't too bad though, it's just warzone that turns to absolute poo poo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I want to say now, with the least undeserved hyperbole possible, that DYAD may be the most amazing Synesthaesia game ever made.

You know how Rez came out and blew everyone's goddamn mind and ever since then there's quite a few games like that so the whole Rez-as-a-Genre thing is a little... normal now? This is like Rez, all over again. The significance and important of some truly transcendent interactive audio visual game that just makes your mouth drop and your eyes bug out and you can feel this giant smile growing and you just feel really HAPPY.

The music is goddamn awesome.

Fair warning though: The first 3 or 4 levels I was like... "Ehhh, I don't get it. What's the big deal?" Then it just kinda turned on its ear and perhaps became one of my favorite anythings ever.

I cannot think of a single gamer type I wouldn't recommend this to. (Ok maybe not Epileptics or the severely color-blind. Everyone else has no excuse.)

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
What are some good 2 man games to play on the PS3? I've got two controllers but only bought single player games, time to fix that. I was thinking Lara Croft & Guardian of Light, Mortal Kombat and probably some racing game. I've played Dirt games on PC, are they any good on PS 3?

Also, how is Vanquish? Looks interesting but kinda "standard" action at the same time

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

Skilleddk posted:

What are some good 2 man games to play on the PS3? I've got two controllers but only bought single player games, time to fix that. I was thinking Lara Croft & Guardian of Light, Mortal Kombat and probably some racing game. I've played Dirt games on PC, are they any good on PS 3?

Also, how is Vanquish? Looks interesting but kinda "standard" action at the same time

Vanquish is loving crazy awesome and very rewarding if you like fair but hard games. Balanced thoroughly on hard/very hard, and has 6 really fun challenges that are also on hard but really work well for knowing how to play extremely well. (beat challange 6 in under 4 minutes, vs standard 18+ minutes for some.) Vanquish is 1 player, if that matters. If you end up not liking Vanquish I highly suggest max payne 3, so far a fantastic job by R* vancouver, which don't exactly exist anymore. :( It has many of the same slow time combat features but in a more down to earth tone, if not downright crazy depressing.

Dyad is crazy awesome like I knew it would be. I'm happy as poo poo for Shawn McGrath, hope he keeps at it, and we get another rare gem in the future.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

Against regular enemies Vanquish isn't TOO different from your standard cover-based shooter. Where the game really shines is when larger transforming robot enemies that fill the screen with bullet hell appear. The other thing that makes Vanquish stand out is that you have a rocket booster/speed booster on your back that either lets you zoom all over the place (in fact, you get penalized for hiding in cover too long) or to slow down time for a couple of seconds so you can quickly unleash some precision burst fire.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'm working on an LP of the game right now, which is being run on hard difficulty. Here's a bit from my test video that shows you the first two levels, as well as a boss fight at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohNsxrApRSM&t=1200s

The game is so well made that even on hard difficulty, my playthroughs usually have only about three deaths. It's not Japanese Gears of War, it's Contra in 3D.

Speedball posted:

Against regular enemies Vanquish isn't TOO different from your standard cover-based shooter.

Speedball posted:

(in fact, you get penalized for hiding in cover too long)

It records how long you spend in cover, but it never actually punishes you for it. It's to emphasise that while there is a cover system, it's really just a crutch for people who aren't used to the game yet.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Add another goon to the LittleBigPlanet Karting Beta crew! :dance:

Although for some reason they sent me a US code instead of an EU one, so that was slightly annoying setting up a second PSN account...

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Troffen posted:

I'm a couple hours in and I'm having fun with it. It starts out slow but once you start getting more party members and sub-turns things start opening up. It's straightforward without feeling overly simplistic, which is nice if you feel like getting into an RPG without learning a billion different systems and subsystems. Hard to say if it'll stay fun for the 40+ hours the game claims to be, but we'll see. My main complaint right now is the game's whole aesthetic is kinda ugly to me, and the dialog reads like the person who wrote it doesn't have a very good grasp of the English language.

One feature I find pretty hilarious is how the game gives you the option to decline random encounters. Hey, you feel like fighting these guys? Nah? Oh, OK. It's cool, maybe next time.

Thanks! I'm used to the old RPGs and JRPGs (they were my favorite genre when I was a kid) so I think I'm ok with a bit of repetitiveness. I don't mind the bad english thing as I'm not a native speaker and sometimes I don't notice bad grammar (see: my post that you quoted, holy crap is it bad.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I'm enjoying Rainbow Moon so far, battles really become fun after ~20 minutes in when you get the first sub-turn. The dialogue isn't bad, just very dry and utilitarian sometimes. Also, I like the graphic style, but things are tinier than I'd like.

• Locked thread