Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Powdered Toast Man posted:

So, I'm in a pretty difficult situation and I'm looking for some advice.

The CFO at my $700 million company had a Crucial M4 256GB in his laptop, which was installed back in February. For some reason (actually there is a reason but it has nothing to do with me) he has no backups. Today, the SSD took a digital dump.

At first I couldn't get it to do much at all. I was finally able to get a chkdsk repair done, and I can SEE everything on the drive but I can't ACCESS the most important stuff, which is large files (PSTs). Small files open/copy off the drive just fine. I've successfully copied files up to about a gig off of the drive. As soon as I attempt to copy anything larger than that I get an I/O error once it hits the "limit." Same thing happens if I try to image/raw copy the drive.

I have reason to suspect that the person who set up this laptop did not disable the automatic weekly defrag, and that may be what caused this. How hosed are we? I'm not particularly hosed because it isn't my fault, but I want to save this guy's data if I can. Is there a particular tool that's better for SSD data recovery? Is that even possible?

I have the exact drive with the same problem. I have had 3-4 M4's die out of 50 or so. All end up freezing, locking up, randomly being accessible/detected. What firmware was on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Space Gopher posted:

If he's a C-level at a company worth the better part of a billion dollars, and he has no backups, don't gently caress with it yourself. Send it out to a big-name service like DriveSavers. It'll cost a few grand at minimum, but hey, he's Mr. Important.

It sounds like this is related to the M4 firmware bug: after 5,184 accumulated hours of power-on time, it'll start to fail. You can boot it, and it works normally for exactly 1 hour, and then it stops responding until you power-cycle it. If the data isn't worth the recovery costs, the first thing I'd do is update the firmware.

I doubt it has anything to do with defragging. Yes, defragging isn't good for SSDs, but they're not that fragile. With modern memory and controllers, you need to do a lot more than defrag once a week to wear out flash. Even if you'd been hammering it constantly with writes for the past five months, you'd probably still have some life left in the memory itself.

I considered updating the firmware but I was scared to do so.

How does recovery even work on an SSD? I mean, with an HDD if the electronics are hosed they just put the platters in another drive. That isn't exactly possible with an SSD.

5,184 hours also doesn't jive because this SSD was purchased and installed in February of this year. It's not an issue of the drive not responding. It's I/O errors and filesystem issues so I'm wondering if there's anything wrong with the drive itself, electronically speaking. It's just bizarre to me that small files open up or copy perfectly but it balks when I try to copy a 4GB PST file.

Also I do not know if TRIM was enabled and I have no idea how to find out. One other thing I can say is that there appears to be more space occupied on the drive than there should be. I've got photorec running on it overnight to see what I can get.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Alereon posted:

OCZ has announced that their upcoming Barefoot 3 controller has taped out, and that they expect to begin selling their drives between April-June of 2013. Of course, this should be treated with immense skepticism, as their previous controller launch turned out to be a hoax (the Everest controller, which was a relabeled Marvell controller).
"Initial specifications indicate that Barefoot 3 will support a significant performance increase over our current products and as its primary IT blocks are now licensed from a third party, it provides additional incremental cost benefits to OCZ," noted Mr. Petersen."

IT blocks are licensed from a third party? Sounds like another "custom firmware" situation.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Australian Goons: Scorptec are currently doing OEM LiteOn 256GB SATAIII (Marvell controller) SSDs for $185

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Powdered Toast Man posted:

5,184 hours also doesn't jive because this SSD was purchased and installed in February of this year. It's not an issue of the drive not responding. It's I/O errors and filesystem issues so I'm wondering if there's anything wrong with the drive itself, electronically speaking. It's just bizarre to me that small files open up or copy perfectly but it balks when I try to copy a 4GB PST file.

You could maybe use dd to copy smaller chunks of the file at a time to a set of partial copies, then join them together.

edit: example below

code:
dd if=/dev/crucialm4/file.pst of=/dev/backupdrive/file001.pst count=2097152
dd if=/dev/crucialm4/file.pst of=/dev/backupdrive/file002.pst skip=2097152 count=2097152
dd if=/dev/curcialm4/file.pst of=/dev/backupdrive/file003.pst skip=4194304 count=2097152 
and so on until the file is completely copied

This would yield 1gb partial files that you could then join together with cat:

code:
cat file001.pst file002.pst file00x.pst > file.pst 

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 17, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LaptopGun posted:

I bought a Intel x-25 g2 160GB
I have one of those in my home HP tablet and it's still trucking along.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

IT blocks are licensed from a third party? Sounds like another "custom firmware" situation.
And it'll be less reliable than the competition, as usual.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I upgraded my workstation SSD's so I put the vertex 3 in my company DB server because I'm curious to see if there's any truth to the bashing of ocz ssd's in the thread other than reading amazon reviews and competitors publishing articles about why ocz are scammers because they put cheap memory in cheap drives.
DB is used by our exchange server and intranet so that should put enough stress on the drive to make it fail if it's as bad as you guys say it is.

Will report when it fails

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sh4 posted:

I upgraded my workstation SSD's so I put the vertex 3 in my company DB server because I'm curious to see if there's any truth to the bashing of ocz ssd's in the thread other than reading amazon reviews and competitors publishing articles about why ocz are scammers because they put cheap memory in cheap drives.
DB is used by our exchange server and intranet so that should put enough stress on the drive to make it fail if it's as bad as you guys say it is.

Will report when it fails

Are you going to get fired when your server BSOD's in the middle of the day and everyones data gets lost?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
You mean other than the personal reports of BSODs and other OCZ related drive failures reported in this thread already in addition to all that other crap?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Are you going to get fired when your server BSOD's in the middle of the day and everyones data gets lost?

No, there's a slave DB server

edit: if I was convinced they were perfectly reliable I wouldn't be doing this experiment, if after 1 year it's still working great I'll consider that according to my own tests people are blowing isolated issues out of proportions.

But if there is any issue with this setup I'll reckon it's time to stop buying OCZ and that there's indeed some danger using these disks

Sh4 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 17, 2012

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Firmware update to 000F did not help. I'm trying systemrescuecd next to see if I can do anything with ddrescure. Photorec managed to recover ~40GB but it was all small files, so I guess it didn't even try with the big ones.

In other news, I want to murder my coworker.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I love this picture:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Bob Morales posted:

I love this picture:

What the gently caress does that even mean? :psyduck:

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I'd guess the x-axis should be labelled as bandwidth in gb/s or somesuch, but it's still humorously poor due to raw bandwidth not being a great metric for performance.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

I love this picture:

Is this the new X-Fi graph?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Sh4 posted:

No, there's a slave DB server

edit: if I was convinced they were perfectly reliable I wouldn't be doing this experiment, if after 1 year it's still working great I'll consider that according to my own tests people are blowing isolated issues out of proportions.

But if there is any issue with this setup I'll reckon it's time to stop buying OCZ and that there's indeed some danger using these disks

So you're going to assess the quality control issues across multiple of a company's product lines with a sample size of one, and that one drive has already been functioning flawlessly for a while?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

So you're going to assess the quality control issues across multiple of a company's product lines with a sample size of one, and that one drive has already been functioning flawlessly for a while?

Yeah, sorry I don't have 2 grands to buy more disks and put them into intensive testing so I can give you more accurate results, seriously what do you me to do ?

I happen to only buy OCZ SSD's, never had any problem with any of them and wanted to try consumer level SSD's in a production DB server, also I'm pretty certain databases are putting more stress on a disk than browsing forums on a macbook so it's my opinion that it should also be a real test to this particular drive reliability, let me know if you have a better idea/ done better testing

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I don't think anyone expects you to do anything, but making statements that suggest you're classifying the reliability of a line of drives based off the performance of one and discounting everyone else's issues as "overblown" sounds pretty dumb.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
ddrescue has so far been able to recover the large files. :toot:

...still gonna kill a bitch, though. :ese:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Also, seriously, testing drive reliability of proven unreliable drives in a production server? You're what's wrong with IT.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

DNova posted:

You could maybe use dd to copy smaller chunks of the file at a time to a set of partial copies, then join them together.

Powdered Toast Man has already figured this out, but you've just describe a poor man's ddrescue (which, BTW, is an awesome recovery tool).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Zhentar posted:

Powdered Toast Man has already figured this out, but you've just describe a poor man's ddrescue (which, BTW, is an awesome recovery tool).

Yeah, I love ddrescue, but it sounded like there were a few specific large files to grab, and in that case it would be safer to run dd manually rather than ddrescue the entire disk, assuming the disk is failing and should be handled as minimally as possible.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Also, seriously, testing drive reliability of proven unreliable drives in a production server? You're what's wrong with IT.

Because obviously the best way to test reliability is to to install it on a test server, install windows and let it idle or run useless stress tools.

In case the drive fails or causes BSOD it'll take the same time to replace it than it took to put the SSD in there in the first place which is 15 minutes without any downtime, I'm maybe what's wrong with IT but at least I know that with a redundant database setup I could run the master on a pentium mmx pos with known faulty parts and it wouldn't change anything nor cause downtime.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sh4 posted:

Because obviously the best way to test reliability is to to install it on a test server, install windows and let it idle or run useless stress tools.

In case the drive fails or causes BSOD it'll take the same time to replace it than it took to put the SSD in there in the first place which is 15 minutes without any downtime, I'm maybe what's wrong with IT but at least I know that with a redundant database setup I could run the master on a pentium mmx pos with known faulty parts and it wouldn't change anything nor cause downtime.
"useless stress tools" ... lol

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm waiting for a good deal on a 240GB or maybe a 120GB SSD this week. Maybe they just all sold out last week?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I have an OCZ Vertex which I guess makes me an idiot because I wasn't on this website when I bought the drive and followed the advice of Maximum PC or something. :saddowns:

It seems to run fine, although I've been having boot issues and I also can't put my computer to sleep. I believe the boot issues were because of my hosed video card, which I've since replaced, but I'm not sure because I only just replaced the card with a new GTX 670.

What's usually the problem with the OCZs? Would it be worth it to buy a different SSD for peace of mind and to see if it fixes my boot/sleep problems? If I remember correctly, the sleep problem did start after my last big upgrade, which included the OCZ.

Most importantly, since I'm using the SSD as my system disk, is there an easy way of switching over to a new one without reinstalling Windows?

Martello fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 17, 2012

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

toplitzin posted:

Woot has a bunch of refurb Corsair SSD's on sale.
Are any of them worth it?

http://tech.woot.com/plus/corsair

Refurbs with limited warranties are definitely not worth it. You'll find that they will break after 30 days. If they had any faith in them they would give you a decent warranty.

edit: Based on my anecdotal experience.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bob Morales posted:

I'm waiting for a good deal on a 240GB or maybe a 120GB SSD this week. Maybe they just all sold out last week?

The Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 256GB models are both sub $1/gig. Newegg has both for 209 right now I believe. I saw a 128GB M4 for 90 bucks the other day from Tiger Direct.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Martello posted:

I have an OCZ Vertex which I guess makes me an idiot because I wasn't on this website when I bought the drive and followed the advice of Maximum PC or something. :saddowns:

It seems to run fine, although I've been having boot issues and I also can't put my computer to sleep. I believe the boot issues were because of my hosed video card, which I've since replaced, but I'm not sure because I only just replaced the card with a new GTX 670.

What's usually the problem with the OCZs? Would it be worth it to buy a different SSD for peace of mind and to see if it fixes my boot/sleep problems? If I remember correctly, the sleep problem did start after my last big upgrade, which included the OCZ.

Most importantly, since I'm using the SSD as my system disk, is there an easy way of switching over to a new one without reinstalling Windows?

They're known to be the least reliable of the SSD's. Have your poo poo backed up and you'll be fine. You can use clonezilla to copy an image from one SSD to another.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jago posted:

They're known to be the least reliable of the SSD's. Have your poo poo backed up and you'll be fine. You can use clonezilla to copy an image from one SSD to another.

Weren't the original Vertexes actually alright? I certainly remember the early V2s were. Let's not forgot that this very thread was recommending V2s back in the day. OCZ have pulled a lot of stupid poo poo and should certainly be avoided in general, but not every single thing they've made has been terrible.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Tunga posted:

Weren't the original Vertexes actually alright? I certainly remember the early V2s were. Let's not forgot that this very thread was recommending V2s back in the day. OCZ have pulled a lot of stupid poo poo and should certainly be avoided in general, but not every single thing they've made has been terrible.

Yeah I mean the Vertex I have has always worked fine, and there definitely was a Maximum PC article that fellated it.

I honestly just want an excuse to buy new hardware I don't need.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Martello posted:

I honestly just want an excuse to buy new hardware I don't need.
Justify it by looking at the chart:

Look at how many more...units...you get! Clearly you NEED a SATAIII drive! Get a Samsung 830 and you'll have better speed than your Vertex as well as QC and reliability second only to Intel.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I love this picture:

I get that this is a lovely graph but I'm about to pull the trigger and I need to ask:

Am I gimping myself too much by running, say, a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos drive on a Sata II connector?

My 2007 computer still does its job perfectly and I'm not about to buy a new one just to run an SSD, however if an SSD is going to be running at platter drive speeds because of the old-rear end SATA II connector then I'd rather not waste my money.

Edit: I did read the OP, I'm just asking if I'm better off buying an older, cheaper drive instead of a the new fancy SATA 3 ones.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
are you a super pro workstation database rear end in a top hat rich guy? then no, don't worry about it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Jago posted:

are you a super pro workstation database rear end in a top hat rich guy? then no, don't worry about it.

Not gonna lie that sound like a sweet job.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Am I gimping myself too much by running, say, a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos drive on a Sata II connector?

My 2007 computer still does its job perfectly and I'm not about to buy a new one just to run an SSD, however if an SSD is going to be running at platter drive speeds because of the old-rear end SATA II connector then I'd rather not waste my money.

Edit: I did read the OP, I'm just asking if I'm better off buying an older, cheaper drive instead of a the new fancy SATA 3 ones.

I'm using a SATA 3 Mushkin Chronos in my iMac - which has a lowly SATA 2 connection. It works fine, it just peaks at 250MB/s instead of 300-something. I thought about going with an older SATA II drive but the newer drives are 'better', plus when I upgrade to a newer iMac with SATA 3, I'll get the increased speeds.

Don't forget that Sandforce drives advetise huge numbers for compressible data - but you won't get that for a lot of file types.

So on incompressible data you might not get that much over SATA II speeds anyway.

Edit: Even though SATA 3 blows SATA 2 away in raw benchmarks that doesn't mean real-world performance will show the same results:

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 18, 2012

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I'm using a SATA 3 Mushkin Chronos in my iMac - which has a lowly SATA 2 connection. It works fine, it just peaks at 250MB/s instead of 300-something. I thought about going with an older SATA II drive but the newer drives are 'better', plus when I upgrade to a newer iMac with SATA 3, I'll get the increased speeds.

Don't forget that Sandforce drives advetise huge numbers for compressible data - but you won't get that for a lot of file types.

So on incompressible data you might not get that much over SATA II speeds anyway.

Edit: Even though SATA 3 blows SATA 2 away in raw benchmarks that doesn't mean real-world performance will show the same results:

Excellent, thanks a million for the info.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Agility 3 120GB for $60 ($74.99 - $15 MIR) from Amazon Lightning Deal

I'm going to roll the dice and stick this in a Macbook that I don't really care about. I was going to get the 240GB but I figure I can always just sell this one in the future and upgrade (it'll be cheaper then, and that way worst case I'm stuck with a $60 drive that sucks instead of a $150 one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
The laptop in question (Dell 6420, pretty much top of the line specs) annihilated a brand new 512GB Vertex4 a few hours after we installed it.

Yeah. Now I want to stab someone at Dell. So many stabbings, so little time...

• Locked thread