Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

dshban posted:

Josh Lawson is a handsome dude but movie posters do seem to feel the need to photoshop the hell out of him.

What is going on with the guy on the right's shirt? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Please, save your questions for Ben.

Legion of One
Feb 17, 2012

You know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun but we just don't have time for mucking about
So the other day at work we got posters for two Australian movies due out this year, have a guess which one will flop and which one won't.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I was hoping that Kath and Kim had finally disappeared. Shame.

I don't think either of them will do well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think Australians just have to accept that our movies will always look like poo poo from the advertisements. And will normally look like poo poo when you're in the cinema too.

Australian cinema is like American cinema's younger brother. Clearly looks up to them and wants to be like them, but just can't do it. ...Same goes for Australian TV, actually. Underbelly is basically the only thing we have that isn't shameful.

Legion of One
Feb 17, 2012

You know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun but we just don't have time for mucking about

spamman posted:

I was hoping that Kath and Kim had finally disappeared. Shame.

I don't think either of them will do well.

Could be worse, at least it's not the US version.....

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Cleretic posted:

I think Australians just have to accept that our movies will always look like poo poo from the advertisements. And will normally look like poo poo when you're in the cinema too.

Australian cinema is like American cinema's younger brother. Clearly looks up to them and wants to be like them, but just can't do it. ...Same goes for Australian TV, actually. Underbelly is basically the only thing we have that isn't shameful.

The Proposition had REALLY nice posters! Sure, that is just one movie but I really want to get people talking about The Proposition again. I love that movie so much.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Cleretic posted:

Australian cinema is like American cinema's younger brother. Clearly looks up to them and wants to be like them, but just can't do it.

The other problem is that it plays it horridly safe by following established demographic trends instead of attempting to create new ventures so you end up with a variation of the following:

1. Comedy - a surefire winner as they're cheap, aimed at all ages, can star whatever standup's on TV at the moment for bonus draw and all wish to be like The Castle.

2. Drama - Usually starring Gillian Anderson but from time to time Cate Blanchett or Hugo Weaving pop in to give it some "international cred". Aimed squarely at the 40+ market. Lantana is the poster child.

3. Horror/Thriller - Usually aimed at a younger audience and typically the domain of every film student graduate attracted to the Ozsploitation films of the past. Not much more than cheap scares.

And given the typical budget is $1 - 8 million all play it cheap and safe as the return is usually around $500,000 if it only stays in the country.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Oh and you forgot that every single one of them, without exception, is just as brutally Australian as they can be. Maybe it's a budget thing, but you can probably count on one hand the Australian films not set in a the suburbs, the outback, or maybe if they're really splurging a country town (that may or may not just be Adelaide or Perth). A surprising amount of them seem to be set a decade or two in the past, too. Not like, enough so that they have to go all-out to get the era right, but maybe just in the 80's or 90's.

Weirdly our made-for-TV movies actually seem to be more original. I mean sure, they're pretty much all dramatic recreations of some famous media or political event, but at least they manage to seem different.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Popelmon posted:

The Proposition had REALLY nice posters! Sure, that is just one movie but I really want to get people talking about The Proposition again. I love that movie so much.
Yes, let's all talk about the Proposition again! (It is the best movie.)

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Deborah Mailman? Named for her father, I presume? :smug:

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Is it just me or does the woman on the left in the pink dress look like Michelle Obama in this poster?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The poster for PT Anderson's "The Master" is pretty drat good.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Came up on page 118, dude.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vagabundo posted:

Came up on page 118, dude.

Of course I only searched back to page 119.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Oh hey, Dreamgirls! Didn't expect to see you in 2012!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Martin Ansin's Brazil poster, regular and variant:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

dshban posted:

Josh Lawson is a handsome dude but movie posters do seem to feel the need to photoshop the hell out of him.

I initially read this as "From the creators of Castle and immediately thought that Nathan Fillion looks really bad in this poster.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Another Mondo sale tomorrow for Klown and Adventure Time prints from SDCC.

http://e2.ma/webview/tm34c/5d69a29c58832ed5c3d25ed109d94088

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Vintersorg posted:

Another Mondo sale tomorrow for Klown and Adventure Time prints from SDCC.

http://e2.ma/webview/tm34c/5d69a29c58832ed5c3d25ed109d94088

drat that dude looks even more like a penis in the poster. Really surprised they put him in at all

Pick Hard
Sep 10, 2011

The sequel to Pontypool. The movie's writer posted this on his Facebook page.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pick Hard posted:

drat that's a busy poster. Looks like an acid trip.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Pick Hard posted:

I like that poster the same way I like a Dali painting. It makes me try figure out what the gently caress is happening.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Pick Hard posted:

Am I the only one seeing the vague shape of a skull? Either way, looks neat.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Captain McStabbin posted:

Am I the only one seeing the vague shape of a skull? Either way, looks neat.

No, you're not. I think it probably needs more crows to make it stand out more, but yeah, I think that's the intention where you see the murder of crows holding ears then pull back and see that they make up a skull.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
I f'in LOVE Pontypool and while I'm not totally sold on a sequel, I do like that poster quite a bit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Pick Hard posted:

Man, that is a lot of ears. I like the crow-skull thing that it has going on.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Thinking about buying this, as Lebowski is my favorite film of all time.. Yay or Nay? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BIG-LEBOWSKI...#ht_3139wt_1037

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Thinking about buying this, as Lebowski is my favorite film of all time.. Yay or Nay? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BIG-LEBOWSKI...#ht_3139wt_1037

quote:

This poster is divided in to 8 separate sections to make the giant art poster.

You will receive all 16 sections when purchasing. Each sections is

A3 size (42.6 x 30.3 cm / 16.5 x 11.7")

and is printed on to 250gms glossy thin card, witch ensures a very long lasting poster.
And it's a reproduction. Hell no.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, likely someone rasterbated the original Mondo poster and are trying to sell it off as an original work.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

poo poo, I didn't catch that. Glad I asked you fellas. Wish I'd known about the real thing when it came out, the only real copy on ebay is 1500.00, and that's way out of my price range.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 24, 2012

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If you were a real Lebowski fan, you'd buy a poster of Nixon bowling.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Apparently Bella gives birth to a porcelain doll in Breaking Dawn 2.

Children in heavy makeup look really weird to me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kramjacks posted:

That is fantastically awful on every level. I especially love Stewart's horribly broken neck.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 25, 2012

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

the_american_dream posted:

drat that dude looks even more like a penis in the poster. Really surprised they put him in at all

I don't see any penises in that poster, who are you talking about?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kramjacks posted:

This is the ultimate troll. It's going to rake in millions upon millions of dollars no matter how godawful the poster is (it's REALLY bad).

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh man that's just abysmal.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Wait... that Twilight poster is real? You have to be loving kidding me. I don't know anything about Photoshop, but I am certain that I could make a better poster than that. Hell, white text on a black background would seem more professional than this piece of poo poo.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I am at a loss for words. Well not entirely, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I can see a rough edge where they photoshopped out a chunk of her head to replace with blackness...

edit: or maybe it's to photoshop them together?