Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

HOLY poo poo YES
I like screen cracking when you get hit with an explosive. It just shouldn't trigger when autos hit you.

Also, the launcher is now advertising a tournament on August 1st. So teams will have about a week to get used to major changes in the mechanics and possibly learn new routes :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Soooo should I pick up the dust devil or the FMD? I play raider about 3x as much as jugg, so I'm leaning that way. is the arx sticky bug fixed?

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

despise you posted:

Its fun to do, but theres really no point to it. Everyone cries because you're essentially trolling the game by not capping the flag, so you end with half your team trying to intercept it so they can cap, all while being chased by the entire enemy team. Its way better in a private server where you can set up specific scenarios and no one reports you. Check out this video.

http://youtu.be/eTMqazitz94

Yeah, I've seen some guys doing this on the far end of Katabatic while they were stomping the crap out of us. It's not such a great feeling -- on the other hand, they're obviously that much better than me that who cares that we got stomped?

despise you
Jan 20, 2007

psivamp posted:

Yeah, I've seen some guys doing this on the far end of Katabatic while they were stomping the crap out of us. It's not such a great feeling -- on the other hand, they're obviously that much better than me that who cares that we got stomped?

Yah, pretty much the standard response is that we could have capped you out 5-0 in 5 minutes, or we can play our fun minigame and you guys TDM and everybody goes home with a shitload of XP.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Switched to Gasts Rifle on Soldier today, yeah seems like a no brainer upgrade actually even though the normal AR has a higher total clip damage. (2240 vs 2040 on the Gast)

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

So I have to work late tonight. I will be home around 8pst so if anyone wants to stick around until then for some capping help I'll be in the mumble.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I bought T:A a long time ago while it was still in beta, I'm looking to check it out again but I'd like to keep all the stuff I had then. how can I register the copy I bought on Steam?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Taffer posted:

I bought T:A a long time ago while it was still in beta, I'm looking to check it out again but I'd like to keep all the stuff I had then. how can I register the copy I bought on Steam?

run the launcher, click the gear button, put -steam in the field. this also works for if you bought the starter pack on steam.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Also everything is stored on HiRez's servers with your account. You could download a new copy and you wouldn't lose anything as long as you were logging into the same account.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

despise you posted:

Yah, pretty much the standard response is that we could have capped you out 5-0 in 5 minutes, or we can play our fun minigame and you guys TDM and everybody goes home with a shitload of XP.

This has happened in my games a couple times and I decided to just snipe them, if my team is losing badly I want to lose fast so the teams might be more balanced the next game.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
did they add a match system of some kind or is this a fluke?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'm thinking the Bolt Launcher for the Pathfinder at 70% off is a good deal?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Artificer posted:

It certainly drives me crazy. I'd get it if you chase a lot.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

despise you posted:

Its fun to do, but theres really no point to it. Everyone cries because you're essentially trolling the game by not capping the flag, so you end with half your team trying to intercept it so they can cap, all while being chased by the entire enemy team. Its way better in a private server where you can set up specific scenarios and no one reports you. Check out this video.

http://youtu.be/eTMqazitz94
Linked for all the flag passing I guess, but all I'm thinking is "Holy poo poo, everyone is so freaking high in the air"

Artificer posted:

Yes. Also, Yes.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

padijun posted:

did they add a match system of some kind or is this a fluke?

Yes, they recently overhauled matchmaking. The prospective patch notes for next week's patch is a bunch of other awesome poo poo.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Yes, they recently overhauled matchmaking. The prospective patch notes for next week's patch is a bunch of other awesome poo poo.

you'd think it's a good thing, but I keep getting killed by people who are way better than me with bullet weapons. on the other hand, people don't play capture the generator and will actually respond if you [VUS]

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

padijun posted:

you'd think it's a good thing, but I keep getting killed by people who are way better than me with bullet weapons

They're also fairly heavily nerfing the Chaingun / Jackal / etc with the next patch so :o:

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
One issue I've had with the new matchmaking is that I was unable to quit and find a new server, it just placed me in the same match over and over again.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Fina posted:

One issue I've had with the new matchmaking is that I was unable to quit and find a new server, it just placed me in the same match over and over again.

That also happened before new matchmaking, it is just a higher chance of it happening.
Good luck getting away of generally terrible CTF matches.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So I've played like 5 games so far, but I have had issues in three of them with dudes just grabbing a flag and running a million miles an hour all over the place with no one able to kill them. As they just run around the outskirts of the map endlessly. Is this just a phenomenon of bad players not being able to kill a good one? I'm not familiar with this type of bullshit annoying runaway being so strong in a CTF game, or there being so much wilderness to chase some rear end in a top hat across.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I got a new mouse and can no longer aim with the NJ5B online, but I can now aim with the doombringer gun a lot better.

Tribes works in mysterious ways.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

So I've played like 5 games so far, but I have had issues in three of them with dudes just grabbing a flag and running a million miles an hour all over the place with no one able to kill them. As they just run around the outskirts of the map endlessly. Is this just a phenomenon of bad players not being able to kill a good one? I'm not familiar with this type of bullshit annoying runaway being so strong in a CTF game, or there being so much wilderness to chase some rear end in a top hat across.

For stopping a would be capper there are three ways
1) Chase the capper
2) Sentinels, the sniper class of this game
3) Stopping the capper from even touching the flag.

In detail:
1) The problem is that chasers almost always start from standstill and it takes time to go to the higher speeds. Generally, chasing is underpowered, but hey, at least Pathfinders get the Impact Nitrons for both accelerating and forcing flag drops.
2) A Sentinel player will be invariably really bad and never land a shot, or really good and lock out the cappers from escaping. And of course, the latter are less common
3) Heavy on Flag (Hof) and static defenses like mines and turrets are the best solutions currently. And HoF is a role where you will also get bombarded by Juggernauts/Infiltrators (if they're not beelining to the generator)/Raiders (same as Infiltrator) with hardly anyone going to chase them out, and no one will thank you for your critical role.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

mango sentinel posted:

That's definitely a symptom of only bad players being in the game. A single good sentinel can stop that with no problem at all, and good players with bullet weapons won't have all that much trouble either.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Workshop abandoned due to rain (I was called to a scrim)

This is still a great time for newbies to the game to start joining the Slamurai/Goon mumble. Most of the people who join this Mumble know what they're talking about.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Grab a Shrike and run him down.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Alternatively, be a Sentinel and shoot him in He Butt.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I want to combine Blacklight's interface with Tribes somehow.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yeah, I got burnt out on Blacklight's gameplay pretty quickly but the UI stands very tall over T:A's iPad menus.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I just got an artillery shot on the enemy flag runner from the top tower on sunstar. the FMD is a beautiful new god

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

padijun posted:

I just got an artillery shot on the enemy flag runner from the top tower on sunstar. the FMD is a beautiful new god

Flag Defender + Artillery Shot = Happiness

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

padijun posted:

I was worried when I unlocked it, as I had to re-learn my shot placement. I was relieved when I realized that I am a fire-raining death god from any point of the map.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Yeah, the shot placement is a lot easier because you're actually using the ladder sight instead of landmarks in the skybox

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Yeah, I got burnt out on Blacklight's gameplay pretty quickly but the UI stands very tall over T:A's iPad menus.

Hahah seriously? It's a fun game but the ui is poo poo.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dony posted:

Hahah seriously? It's a fun game but the ui is poo poo.

I haven't found the Blacklight UI to be offensive at all, especially when put up against Ascend.

What feels more like a functional PC settings menu,

this

or this?

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Flag Defender + Artillery Shot = Happiness

Best Shot I have ever done was Artillery Shot + Flag Defender + Air Mail. Flag Carrier must have just got over a hill for that shot.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I haven't found the Blacklight UI to be offensive at all, especially when put up against Ascend.

What feels more like a functional PC settings menu,

this

or this?
The options menu is fine in Blacklight, but the customization and marketplace areas are total clusterfucks. TA's is a little long-winded, but at least I know where I'm going and can navigate it with ease.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

MadHat posted:

Best Shot I have ever done was Artillery Shot + Flag Defender + Air Mail. Flag Carrier must have just got over a hill for that shot.

Cha-Ching!

My hopes/dreams for the Jugg update:

-New Perk: Safeties Off (mortars explode on impact regardless of range)
-New Pack: Overdrive (200% jet power and drain while active)
-New Badge: Mortar Mail (self explanatory)

Yeah, it's OP, so what? Wanna fight about it?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Safeties off would be so insanely overpowered it's not even funny. Also, it's way more niche than a perk should be. Yes, I'll fight about it. :colbert:

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Profanity posted:

The options menu is fine in Blacklight, but the customization and marketplace areas are total clusterfucks. TA's is a little long-winded, but at least I know where I'm going and can navigate it with ease.

That's what I meant. I'm gonna mess with the settings once. Blacklight's equipment menus are terrible. THe UI is overloaded with information but leaves out poo poo like why a bunch of helmets I have are locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ok yeah the equipment menu is really obnoxious and if you're like me you spend shitloads of time there making neat guns and looking at numbers so I concede my point.

• Locked thread