Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yellow is definitely more energetic and fun to listen to, but Green has The Line Between that, at its peaks, sounds like old baroness. The lyrics are iffy, but otherwise it's probably the heaviest song on the album. The intro riff is incredible, at least.

I feel like Green will take the longest to grow on me, but I don't think it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Booked Baroness tickets. Looking forward to impending loud music. Damned jealous of Manchester though, who got Bossk for support :argh:

edit: that new Ufomammut track sounds great so far!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hemophilia posted:

Yellow is definitely more energetic and fun to listen to, but Green has The Line Between that, at its peaks, sounds like old baroness.

Yeah this is my favourite track on Green by far.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ufomammut's ORO-Opus Alter out 14th of September.
Check out the first released song, Oroborus.

This is awesome, September won't come soon enough.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Not Very Metal posted:

This is awesome, September won't come soon enough.

Yeah seriously, it starts out almost like old Filter or something, and just builds and builds... man, that rules.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Idioteque Dance posted:

Damned jealous of Manchester though, who got Bossk for support :argh:

Really? I thought Bossk split up, and I can't see them on the venue website. Great news if they're playing gigs again, I might have to head to Manchester tomorrow.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Idioteque Dance posted:

Booked Baroness tickets. Looking forward to impending loud music. Damned jealous of Manchester though, who got Bossk for support :argh:

edit: that new Ufomammut track sounds great so far!

drat jealous of anyone seeing Baroness. The London date sold out before I realised there was one. Commencing first listen of Y&G as we speak and so far I think it's fantastic. I like that the preview tracks they released didn't give away all of the album's secrets. I knew it wasn't going to be heavy in the way that earlier Baroness was, but it is still mellower than I was anticipating. I hope I enjoy the rest of the album! Sea Lungs just started and it sounds loving awesome...

e: I loved the whole album, but that was a lot to digest! Looks like I have many repeat listens ahead of me! What a shame :(

nomapple fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 11, 2012

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl
:aaaaa: That new Ufomammut song. Holy poo poo.

Didn't even realise Baroness are going to be in the UK, I'll be booking tickets in the morning :)

Loving 'Yellow' so far.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
As someone who has recently discovered Baroness I'm disappointed with the direction the new album has taken, but it's hard to get mad at a band for wanting to play the music they want to play.

Meatslam
Apr 9, 2009
Does anyone know of any bands with a sound similar to Boris' Statement or Heavy Friends? I love the fuzzy high pitched shredding in those songs but am not a fan of drone in general.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

Meatslam posted:

Does anyone know of any bands with a sound similar to Boris' Statement or Heavy Friends? I love the fuzzy high pitched shredding in those songs but am not a fan of drone in general.

Church of Misery, Wo Fat, Bongzilla, Hackman, HUGENELK and possibly The Sword and Weedeater to name a few.

The first two especially. Pretty sure Church of Misery and Wo Fat based all of their music on Heavy Friends specifically.

Meatslam
Apr 9, 2009
Church of Misery was just what I was looking for, thanks a lot!

Edit: Hmm, all of their songs seem to be about serial killers. Weird.

Meatslam fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 12, 2012

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Welcome to stoner rock. WEEDBONGSATAN.

Perhaps Lowrider or Truckfighters would work for you?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Meatslam posted:

Yeah that's kind of CoM's "thing".

Check out some random selection from the Melvins' catalog too. They're a little more straightforward (well, depending on the album/song/era/day of the week), but they influenced Boris a lot (who named themselves after a Melvins song!)

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Yellow has a few ok songs. Green is just terrible front to back. I was just struck by how bad it all was that I put on Red to cover up the bad taste... the music actually sounds quite similar which is interesting. The real problem with this 2xLP is the vocals. They're hard to ignore and they're just BAD.

I never really got into First of Second so I think I'll just not open the LPs when they come from Relapse and pretend that First and Second is the new double album.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I didn't want to admit it to myself, but there are only about 5 songs between the Yellow and Green that aren't complete and utter poo poo. There are inklings of genius that show up now and again, but the albums are mostly marred by lovely vocals and even worse lyrics.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Had to post this here so I could rage on Southern Lord. I ordered the new Earth album when I ordered Dopesmoker on vinyl, for which I was charged but never shipped. I assumed they were shipping it with the Sleep record and I was fine waiting. I get my Sleep record and no Earth record so I email them back asking what was up and when it would ship. They finally get back to me after a week or so saying that the Earth record isn't available. Thanks for taking my money, sitting on it for two months, and then not refunding my money once you knew it wasn't available and I had to email to ask where the crap I paid for was. Never ordering from them again if at all possible.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
On the flip side of that, I'm going to rave about Napalm Records. I ordered a vinyl copy of Ahab's Divinity of Oceans. They sent me The Giant. I wrote to them asking what could be done, and they wrote back saying they'd send the right one and I could keep The Giant.

Guess the lesson of today is gently caress Southern Lord, praise be to Napalm.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

quote:

gently caress Southern Lord
My Sleep T-shirt kind of bumps at the seam on each shoulder near the collar. It seems like it wasn't stitched together properly. :bahgawd:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I was kinda bummed to hear about Unearthly Trance calling it quits, but then I discovered that we get all the members of Unearthly Trance + Tim Bagshaw (ex-Electric Wizard, Ramesses) in a new group called, Serpentine Path?

Excellent!

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Finally got to hear the new Ahab and I like it a whole lot. Antarctica is one of the best songs they've done

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
Just pre-ordered Om's Advaitic Songs on vinyl. So excited. AND I just found out they are actually coming through my city in September!

I am totally fanboying out right now.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Meatslam posted:

Not just serial killers, but also spree killers and other types of mass murderers.

:eng101:

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Well, today I listened to Dopesmoker for the first time. Never before have I wished I smoked weed.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Well, today I listened to Dopesmoker for the first time. Never before have I wished I smoked weed.

this thread is full of precious little moments

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That song will take you half way there anyway.

The legit release of Y+G is around now isn't it? I don't think it's bad so far but a few of us were definitely suckered by the hype machine. Guess it doesn't happen here much, given there are no really popular bands (except Sabbath) so it's mostly low key releases. Then every once in a while you'll put something new on that you have no expectations for and within 5 seconds you're like "FFFFUUUUUCK."

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Asnorban posted:

...My friend sent me a link to March to the Sea with "Check out this badass new Foo Fighters song!"...

nuncle jimbo posted:

Your friend is dumb and you should hit him for me. Tell him the internet sends its regards.

pitchfork posted:

It's what Torche have done well in the past, especially on Meanderthal, but it's bigger, more spacious and stadium-sized here. (Like if Torche actually were the Foo Fighters.)

Looks like dumb friend deserving of a punch wasn't the only one.

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Since I got the record I have been listening to it a few times a week and each time it gets better.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Is there a band out there that combines the sound of Isis/Rosetta with the heavy/thick fuzzed out tone of Electric Wizard's Dopethrone/Bongzilla?

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Bongripper is the first that comes to mind, check out Satan Worshipping Doom.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I do agree with you completely, but I already love Bongripper. Hippie Killer has some killer parts that fit that bill perfectly, but it's all instrumental. I like hearing SOME vocals.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

I love them so much.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
The new Elder is streaming over at The Obelisk: http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2012/07/19/elderspiresburnstream/

I'm really liking the second track.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I do agree with you completely, but I already love Bongripper. Hippie Killer has some killer parts that fit that bill perfectly, but it's all instrumental. I like hearing SOME vocals.
Maaaaybe Thou? Doesn't have the stoner attitude but it's a good crossover. the Archer and Owle is great, and the Sabbath covers EP is good fun.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Really excited for the OM release on Monday, can't wait to hear it! I also recently ordered the new Witch Mountain so I'm really looking forward to hearing that. I checked out a couple of tracks on Youtube, and I have South of Salem, but I am looking forward to hearing the whole album. As stoner/doom goes I think it's between Pallbearer/High on Fire/Ahab for my AOTY. It's been an amazing year for doom, that High on Fire album has so much replay value.

e: Oh, and Y&G is up there too, but reception in this thread is pretty mixed, and even though Baroness are part of the genre, I do not consider Y&G to be, as much as I'm loving the hell out of it.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Juaguocio posted:

The new Elder is streaming over at The Obelisk: http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2012/07/19/elderspiresburnstream/

I'm really liking the second track.

New Elder? Yes Please! I wish it was a whole new album instead of two songs.
I only started digging into them a couple months ago. Dead Roots Stirring is a fantastic album. It took me 3 or 4 casual listens to realize that. Their songs flow so well.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

New Elder? Yes Please! I wish it was a whole new album instead of two songs.
I only started digging into them a couple months ago. Dead Roots Stirring is a fantastic album. It took me 3 or 4 casual listens to realize that. Their songs flow so well.

Anyone listen to Old Man Gloom's new album "No"? I don't remember seeing reviews and I'm a huge Aaron Turner fan, so I'd like to know if it's any good.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

vanov posted:

Anyone listen to Old Man Gloom's new album "No"? I don't remember seeing reviews and I'm a huge Aaron Turner fan, so I'd like to know if it's any good.

I got a big kick out of it. If you like what Aaron does, you probably will too.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'd definitely recommend it, too.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
DOPELORD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M_AXWJx9kA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Also known as the song I will be blasting at full volume when my girlfriend goes on vacation tomorrow.