Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Deathclaws moving into the Sloan quarry is a very recent thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Kharmakazy posted:

If I remembered picking up my package from primm, I would already know where primm is and wouldn't need directions.

I don't think you necessarily did, unless I'm mistaken. Nash doesn't seem to recognize you and you weren't contracted for that particular package until the last second. It's entirely possible the package was procured at another pick-up point on your behalf after being contacted about the offer.

Kharmakazy posted:

Also, why the hell were you in goodsprings to begin with? You picked up your package in Primm. Were you originally planning to head north through the rapezone to drop off your package?

If I remember the prequel comic that Avellone scripted correctly you weren't in Goodsprings when Benny and the Khans humped you. Goodsprings was just the closest, safest point where they could do the deed and have a place to stay afterwards before journeying on.

EDIT: And in addition to the Deathclaws moving in so close around the Quarry and Goodsprings being a recent thing, it's perfectly doable to sneak through the back exit from Goodsprings and go up through Cazador and Deathclaw territory straight into Vegas' surrounding areas at level 1.

As for the heading north thing, probably. It's implied that due to the nature of having to travel across the more dangerous parts of the wastelands that the Couriers who survive for any significant amount of time are pretty tough.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

I don't think you necessarily did, unless I'm mistaken. Nash doesn't seem to recognize you and you weren't contracted for that particular package until the last second. It's entirely possible the package was procured at another pick-up point on your behalf after being contacted about the offer.

If I remember the prequel comic that Avellone scripted correctly you weren't in Goodsprings when Benny and the Khans humped you. Goodsprings was just the closest, safest point where they could do the deed and have a place to stay afterwards before journeying on.

As for the heading north thing, probably. It's implied that due to the nature of having to travel across the more dangerous parts of the wastelands that the Couriers who survive for any significant amount of time are pretty tough.

The instructions clearly state I am supposed to pick the package up in primm (the only mojave express in the game) and deliver it to the gate at vegas.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Kharmakazy posted:

If I remembered picking up my package from primm, I would already know where primm is and wouldn't need directions.

It's implied pretty heavily that you don't really remember what you were doing. Also, why the hell were you in goodsprings to begin with? You picked up your package in Primm. Were you originally planning to head north through the rapezone to drop off your package?

Yeah, actually, it's supposed to be a pretty normal path. Rapezone was a pretty recent addition. Also, it's fair to assume The Courier woudl've been more on their game if they didn't just recently wake up from the dead.

Though still, being not-a-vault-dweller is probably the weakest part of the narrative. You wander around like a newbie, and have no goddamn idea idea where anything is despite supposedly being a courier skilled enough to be trusted with top-secret NCR packages.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Kharmakazy posted:

The instructions clearly state I am supposed to pick the package up in primm (the only mojave express in the game) and deliver it to the gate at vegas.

Mhm. The instructions were originally for Ulysses, though, who lives in New Vegas. It's entirely possibly your last minute signing on resulted in a rushed change of plans.

You can play your character as having amnesia from the fuckin' bullet wound in their head, but it's not a pre-established fact of the narrative, is all I'm saying. There's just as much there to support it not being amnesia (I'm pretty sure the developer's statements prior to the game's release addressed this pretty bluntly as well) and you don't have to ask for directions to Primm.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Dan Didio posted:

Mhm. The instructions were originally for Ulysses, though, who lives in New Vegas. It's entirely possibly your last minute signing on resulted in a rushed change of plans.

You can play your character as having amnesia from the fuckin' bullet wound in their head, but it's not a pre-established fact of the narrative, is all I'm saying. There's just as much there to support it not being amnesia (I'm pretty sure the developer's statements prior to the game's release addressed this pretty bluntly as well) and you don't have to ask for directions to Primm.

Good storytelling or bad, The Courier definitely doesn't suffer from amnesia. At least not in the typical video game sense of the term. Various conversations can spark The Courier to remember being here or there in the Fallout world. For example: one of the people in Novac lets The Courier mention they're at least somewhat familiar with New Reno's nightlife.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I think it is pretty heavily implied that the Courier's short term memory on the exact events leading up to being shot is gone, but not his full memory. It is like many people who get put into a concussion, where memory is often lost on getting to being concussed.

And it is not implied that you don't know where Primm is, but rather that you don't know where Goodsprings is, which makes sense seeing as how much of a podunk, middle of nowhere nothing it is. Or at least, that is what I felt, as you never need to ask people where Primm is, you can just up and leave for there after parting from the Doc. It is just an option you can take of many.

Edit: In fact, the only thing I found slightly skewish about the Courier's backstory is the fact that they are trusted with top secret packages from the NCR, yet you are absolutely neutral with them opening the game. Obviously this is for gameplay reasons, it just is a slight nitpick.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 23, 2012

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

What in the game suggests this isn't the case? All of the starting dialogue options seem to be the character attempting to learn what the heck is supposed to be going on.

I mean, I understand from a gameplay perspective it helps to feed the character information, but he is constantly asking questions like.. who is the legion, who is the NCR, who are the powder gangers, he has no clue where vegas even is.

I have a very hard time viewing the perspective that this character remembers everything he did before he was shot.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I would genuinely like to know what bits of the story lend credence to the idea that he remembers everything.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Kalos posted:

Though still, being not-a-vault-dweller is probably the weakest part of the narrative. You wander around like a newbie, and have no goddamn idea idea where anything is despite supposedly being a courier skilled enough to be trusted with top-secret NCR packages.

I'm guessing you mean the package mentioned in Lonesome road. It wasn't a top NCR package. They had no idea what it was and only knew that it might have some connection to Hopeville. It just happened that you took it and not some other courier.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Roobanguy posted:

I'm guessing you mean the package mentioned in Lonesome road. It wasn't a top NCR package. They had no idea what it was and only knew that it might have some connection to Hopeville. It just happened that you took it and not some other courier.

I'm pretty sure that a package Taken from Enlclave (NCR's biggest enemy in history) ruins to a major war front with the Legion (NCR's biggest current enemy) isn't going to be entrusted to some random wastelander.

At the very least, it's going to be put in the hands of someone who knows where the town is.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Kalos posted:

At the very least, it's going to be put in the hands of someone who knows where the town is.

The courier did know where the town was though. It was already stated that you had passed through there multiple times. It was never stated that the courier had spent a significant amount of time in the Mohave though. It would be understandable if he didn't know all the locales yet. Also you can see New Vegas from practically anywhere, so you always knew your were going in the right direction.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Kharmakazy posted:

What in the game suggests this isn't the case? All of the starting dialogue options seem to be the character attempting to learn what the heck is supposed to be going on.

I mean, I understand from a gameplay perspective it helps to feed the character information, but he is constantly asking questions like.. who is the legion, who is the NCR, who are the powder gangers, he has no clue where vegas even is.

I have a very hard time viewing the perspective that this character remembers everything he did before he was shot.

Who is 'he'? My character never asked those questions.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Roobanguy posted:

The courier did know where the town was though. It was already stated that you had passed through there multiple times. It was never stated that the courier had spent a significant amount of time in the Mohave though. It would be understandable if he didn't know all the locales yet. Also you can see New Vegas from practically anywhere, so you always knew your were going in the right direction.

Which means I should at least be able to mark it, and the town I came from, on my map without someone explicitly telling me its exact location.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Kalos posted:

Which means I should at least be able to mark it, and the town I came from, on my map without someone explicitly telling me its exact location.

You never had the map until you got it from Doc Mitchell. Besides if the courier went to Primm (and somehow never met Johnson Nash) first it would make some sense that he try and travel to Vegas via the Sloan/Quarry Junction road.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Hank Morgan posted:

You never had the map until you got it from Doc Mitchell. Besides if the courier went to Primm (and somehow never met Johnson Nash) first it would make some sense that he try and travel to Vegas via the Sloan/Quarry Junction road.

It's a map. Putting a dot on it isn't exactly long-lost sorcery... evidenced by you being able to put dots on it the exact moment you get it.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Hank Morgan posted:

So your explanation for the fact that everyone can mark towns on my map but me from memory is what?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I want to say that in Sawyer's formspring he said that the courier came up through Mojave outpost before it was closed, and was planning on going north through quarry junction, unaware of the danger there.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Kalos posted:

It's a map. Putting a dot on it isn't exactly long-lost sorcery... evidenced by you being able to put dots on it the exact moment you get it.

Kharmakazy posted:

So your explanation for the fact that everyone can mark towns on my map but me from memory is what?

These are such stupid things to argue about. It would be dumb as hell if you could just go and mark every location in the game by using an online map. Are you also complaining that you couldn't mark poo poo on your map in Skyrim or Oblivion?

Also, when is it ever stated in game that the courier would know where these towns are. I can't remember any dialog in the game even mentioning that you have ever been to the Mojave. You can get dialog about visiting Utah, going to New Reno and various other poo poo, but not that you already know where multiple towns are in the desert, so why should you be able to mark these unknown towns on your map?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I don't think there is an real point to be made. The thing about the map was a bit nit-picky. Dude shows up in the Mojave as a blank slate and plays everyone against each other just like the Man with no Name. Everything else is just necessary exposition for the player. The beauty of the game is that you can play it off as a guy with amnesia or apply a history to the character. All of which can feed into the gimmick of your play through.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.

Kharmakazy posted:

Probably the same reason your Pip-Boy handily points you exactly to your current mission objective, even though the Courier wouldn't have that easy a time of it: Sometimes gameplay trumps narrative.

And also what Roobanguy and Hank Morgan said, thus making the paragraph that once stood here redundant. Good thing I preview before I post I guess?

On an unrelated note, I just got New Vegas + all the DLC a few days ago, and have been grabbing some mods for it, even though they're not nearly as necessary as they are for Oblivion or FO3. I already have Project Nevada, WMX, and Fellout, and a friend recommended EVE, so I'll grab that too. Any other recommendations that will improve my F:NV experience or add some cool things?

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

SilverWingedSeraph posted:

Probably the same reason your Pip-Boy handily points you exactly to your current mission objective, even though the Courier wouldn't have that easy a time of it: Sometimes gameplay trumps narrative.

And also what Roobanguy and Hank Morgan said, thus making the paragraph that once stood here redundant. Good thing I preview before I post I guess?

On an unrelated note, I just got New Vegas + all the DLC a few days ago, and have been grabbing some mods for it, even though they're not nearly as necessary as they are for Oblivion or FO3. I already have Project Nevada, WMX, and Fellout, and a friend recommended EVE, so I'll grab that too. Any other recommendations that will improve my F:NV experience or add some cool things?

If your machine can handle it, I'd suggest maybe a few graphics mods and the mods that open up Freeside/Las Vegas and add NPC's to them so they don't feel empty. It works pretty well too - both were meant to be one big area, but console limitations.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.

becrumbac posted:

If your machine can handle it, I'd suggest maybe a few graphics mods and the mods that open up Freeside/Las Vegas and add NPC's to them so they don't feel empty. It works pretty well too - both were meant to be one big area, but console limitations.
Regrettably, my machine is pretty old and I'm probably lucky the game runs as well as it does, so that's not an option for me. :(

ArchetypeBlue fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 23, 2012

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

SilverWingedSeraph posted:

Get the invisible wall remover mod. There are a bunch of otherwise climbable slopes that you can't climb due to invisible walls that were put there for console memory reasons.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I got this game awhile ago for 360, and I just can't seem to play it "right". I'm totally loving confused as to what to do, and I'm basically roaming around not making much progress. I've got a few quests on my list, but when I go to the towns that the quests are supposed to be in, I can't seem to find poo poo to do.

I'm only a level 3, and I've been playing for 4 hours. When does this game actually start getting fun? My guy seems weak, and I know there is a good game in here, I just can't seem to find it. I basically want tips on what I should do for the first 5 hours or so of gameplay. I've been to lots of the locations, but can't seem to get much traction as far as the quests go.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Does anyone have any recommendations for a character build? Gonna do a new run in hardcore, but I'm having trouble coming up with a cool character idea.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

WMain00 posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a character build? Gonna do a new run in hardcore, but I'm having trouble coming up with a cool character idea.

Trogg is always the answer.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

I got this game awhile ago for 360, and I just can't seem to play it "right". I'm totally loving confused as to what to do, and I'm basically roaming around not making much progress. I've got a few quests on my list, but when I go to the towns that the quests are supposed to be in, I can't seem to find poo poo to do.

I'm only a level 3, and I've been playing for 4 hours. When does this game actually start getting fun? My guy seems weak, and I know there is a good game in here, I just can't seem to find it. I basically want tips on what I should do for the first 5 hours or so of gameplay. I've been to lots of the locations, but can't seem to get much traction as far as the quests go.

There is no single playing it the right way but a good start is to follow the They went that-a-way quests around in a U until you get to the Novac region.

WMain00 posted:

Look at some books on your shelves and pick a character from one of them. Tailor your build to that character.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 23, 2012

tables
Jul 7, 2011

tables

Leon Einstein posted:

Which towns have you been to? From my experience, when I followed the main quest, I got quests and locations popping up all the time.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

Look at some books on your shelves and pick a character from one of them. Tailor your build to that character.

I do that with Skyrim quite alot actually. Never tried it with Fallout though.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I found my Fallout 1 spiral-bound manual the other day, and actually made Mushroom Clouds. They are delicious. That is all.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

tables posted:

Which towns have you been to? From my experience, when I followed the main quest, I got quests and locations popping up all the time.
I've been to Goodsprings, Primm, Novac, Mojave Outpost, that one that the Legion destroyed, and a few more in the south-west area. I'm on that new Sheriff for Primm quest, and the NCR guy said no. So now what do I do? The quests just seemed lovely. I had one to rescue some powder gangers, and some wolves came and ate everybody, so there went that quest.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What NCR guy? The Major at the Mojave Outpost? He says yes if you have a Barter of 20 or if you do some really basic quests for him. Its really obvious that helping him out gets him to help out too. Or do you mean the Lieutenant near Primm? Because he tells you to go talk to the Major at the outpost.

Are you reading anything people tell you, or are you just skipping all the dialogue and following quest arrows?

edit: There are also two other people who could be sheriff, talking to some people in Primm might help.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 23, 2012

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Yeah, I must not be paying close enough attention or something. I talked to the Lt. at the Mojave Outpost. Basically, I'm wondering if there is a good route for me to get leveled up a little faster. I seem weak as poo poo. Also, it's tough to know which quests are worth doing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

WMain00 posted:

I like playing my courier as a gay ex-NCR Medic and an amateur archaeologist. I gave him high intelligence, high charisma, and low strength. Tagged guns, speech, and medicine. Take good-natured.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, I must not be paying close enough attention or something. I talked to the Lt. at the Mojave Outpost. Basically, I'm wondering if there is a good route for me to get leveled up a little faster. I seem weak as poo poo.
You are weak as poo poo, and you'll be there for a bit. Nobody gives two fucks about you yet, so give them a reason to. Incidentally, helping out at the Mojave Outpost (talk to Ranger Jackson) gets you a service rifle and ammo, some repair kits, and some really nice food items. It also happens to be the same quest that gets you approval from the Major to send reinforcements to Primm.

You're going to feel like someone can push your poo poo in if you step in the wrong place for a while, I'm afraid. Where you can safely step does keep getting bigger, so there's that.

Are you dying a lot or just feel aimless?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Are you dying a lot or just feel aimless?
I'm not dying too much; just feel aimless. I'll do some of those Mojave Outpost quests I guess.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Hank Morgan posted:

I don't think there is an real point to be made. The thing about the map was a bit nit-picky. Dude shows up in the Mojave as a blank slate and plays everyone against each other just like the Man with no Name. Everything else is just necessary exposition for the player. The beauty of the game is that you can play it off as a guy with amnesia or apply a history to the character. All of which can feed into the gimmick of your play through.

Eh, you can play it as an amnesiac, but the game doesn't really support it unless you go out of your way to not pick certain dialogues. In the early towns when you're asking about the NCR, you're never asking "who are they?" but rather "what can you tell me about them?" which basically means "how established are they as a presence here, and how do the locals feel about them?"

Really, all we know about the Courier is that he/she has couriered across NCR territory for several years, and if you took the Lady Killer perk, was loving one or several ladies in Montana roughly eighteen years prior.

Leon Einstein posted:

I had one to rescue some powder gangers, and some wolves came and ate everybody, so there went that quest.

That sounds hilarious. How you accidentally drew a bunch of nightstalkers towards the Legion camp to overrun and devour everyone is beyond me, but it's probably the best way that quest could've gone.

Honestly, much like every other Obsidian game, the first few towns are pretty weak and the good stuff doesn't happen until later. I liked helping Goodsprings fend off the Powder Gangers (well, the various planning and such, anyway) but Primm and the Mojave Outpost don't have a lot going on. My advice for a first time player would be to follow the general plot thread for the main quest until getting to Vegas proper, where you are heaped quest after quest (playing pimp/debt collector for the Garrets, helping the Kings, guarding the door at the Silver Rush, the bounty hunter bits at Camp McCarran, etc) and it's almost all good stuff. Then once you actually decide to go to the Strip and follow up on the whole "find the guy who shot you" bit, the narrative opens up even more and you're basically being tapped by all the major players in the Mojave to work for them at the detriment of others. Also by this time you'll have gained a few levels (and possibly a follower) so you can actually start exploring off the roads and not getting gang-raped by all the terrible things that live there.

And that's not even counting the DLC :allears:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The Courier is not an amnesiac. Questions about the NCR, Legion, local goings on, etc. are present so the player does not stumble around without a clue. We can't assume any given player is familiar with these factions.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

rope kid posted:

The Courier is not an amnesiac. Questions about the NCR, Legion, local goings on, etc. are present so the player does not stumble around without a clue. We can't assume any given player is familiar with these factions.

I always interpreted it as the courier not being from around these parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Rope kid, what ever became of the Van Buren data?

I know the project was canceled and is forever lost to civilization, but what of the actual data that existed when it was canceled? I know the tech demo is still floating around the internet, but more of the game existed than was included in that, right? Is it in an archive somewhere owned by Bethesda, or former members of interplay, or something? Even when canceled, I can't imagine these kinds of things would just get thrown out.

I guess I don't really expect you to know the answer to this, but I'm curious and you seem as likely a candidate for someone who does as anyone else. I mean I don't really know how to get ahold of Avellone, I don't think we frequent any of the same forums or anything.