Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Denethor was awful too. A real shame too because Sean Bean's Boromir is probably the best performance and the best written character in the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Vigilance posted:

Denethor was awful too. A real shame too because Sean Bean's Boromir is probably the best performance and the best written character in the movies.

Denethor was awesome! The best thing about ROTK.

I seem to remember from somewhere (Tolkien's Letters?) that Faramir in the book is quite literally Tolkien's voice or "Mary Sue" in that story. (not really Mary Sue since Beren is his Mary Sue character).

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

FrakkinCylon posted:

I may be alone in this sentiment, but I really liked David Wenham in the role.

I'm astonished that people pay him real money to appear in films.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I was really annoyed the first time I saw how movie Faramir acted, but after watching the extras I did see their point about it destroying the menace of the ring if Captain Smug announced he wouldn't pick it up if he found it on the ground.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

bitterandtwisted posted:

I was really annoyed the first time I saw how movie Faramir acted, but after watching the extras I did see their point about it destroying the menace of the ring if Captain Smug announced he wouldn't pick it up if he found it on the ground.

Also that literally everyone in Gondor loves him, speaks ill of Denethor since they prefer Faramir, Faramir kicks all kinds of rear end every time he is onscreen, refuses the ring straight up, and then for some reason Denethor does not like him. It would be confusing to a film audience as to why Aragorn and not Faramir should be King.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's a fascinating angle. I'll never be able to unsee that about Faramir now. :psyduck:

I can see why they did what they did in the movie, though: to make him Boromir's opposite, arc-wise. Boromir started out seeming like a stand-up guy who gradually got more and more creepy and then finally broke. Faramir is introduced seeming like an rear end in a top hat but he then eventually comes around and becomes a sympathetic character. Maybe the screenwriters thought the Mary Sue thing was too obvious to be plausible on-screen, and/or just too goody-two-shoes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wank posted:

In the movie he just went crazy. In the book he wasn't crazy and had in fact a stronger mind than Saruman because he resisted Sauron. The movie would've been much better if they had shown Denethor saying that he too had a palantir.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I always thought the whole Captain Awesome thing was to show he was a worthy replacement of Aragorn for Eowyn's affections. But frankly the Romance At The Houses of Healing felt a little forced even in the book.

I did always wonder if non-book readers were left confused about Eowyn's lack of closure on her devotion to Aragorn. In the book she was practically at restraining order level but still that subplot never really went anywhere.

I love Aragorn! Don't we all, lady. Step aside for your new Elven Queen. Hope you don't harbor any resentment.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I was able to buy the romance dealie between Faramir and Eowyn in the book because it was a courtship that took several weeks to play out.

Wank posted:

I really hated his death scene in the film. The book did it pretty much perfectly; he's seen the armies that Sauron has, he knows that the army laying siege to Minas Tirith is just a fraction of Sauron's power, and that they have nothing to gain by fighting him, so he chooses to die amongst the kings of the past. Movie version? "Oh no, I am on fire! I guess I better run several miles so I can fall to my death from the top of the tallest balcony in the city!" gently caress poetry, gently caress character motivation, screw the written word, people wanna see an old man burning while he falls to his death because that's more "epic."

Love the movies but with some scenes, yeah, yeah I get where Chris is coming from.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I just hate how stupid Denethor seems in the movies. That scene with him eating the grapes and looking disgusting, his death scene, etc.

In the books he's nearly as smart and wise as Gandalf and is as much as Aragorn a living representation of the old men of Numenor. Basically he's a huge badass. I didn't at all get that impression from movie Denethor.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
He isn't stupid in the movies, he's just an rear end in a top hat.

I'm glad I don't watch movies with most of you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I haven't read the books since I was a teenager so I only remembered basic details of the story. So from a only knowing the non-Fellowship characters by the movie standpoint, Denethor came off as an insufferable chump. I couldn't at all buy that this guy was somehow masterminding running this huge city that was keeping the hordes of Mordor away from the rest of the planet. The actor playing Theoden was very convincing as someone slowly realizing the odds were against him but still wanted to go down fighting, so Jackson could handle getting this sort of performance, but Denethor, I just didn't understand why anyone was tolerating him at all in any scene.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Geekboy posted:

He isn't stupid in the movies, he's just an rear end in a top hat.

I'm glad I don't watch movies with most of you.

He's stupid and an rear end in a top hat in the movies.

I just remembered another really dumb Denethor moment in the movies. Him refusing to light the beacons to signal for help.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I thought it was quite clear that Denethor got increasingly insane and was more concerned with keeping himself and his bloodline on a throne he's merely keeping warm. It isn't verbatim with the books, but that doesn't mean it's a bad reinterpretation of him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Szmitten posted:

I thought it was quite clear that Denethor got increasingly insane and was more concerned with keeping himself and his bloodline on a throne he's merely keeping warm. It isn't verbatim with the books, but that doesn't mean it's a bad reinterpretation of him.

It's a bad reinterpretation because it doesn't tell how he got crazy. In the books he got increasingly depressed because he was mind dueling with Sauron on a regular basis. In th book he's just an insane rear end in a top hat, in the books he's a good guy worn down by the enemy and his actions though wrong are understandable.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Alhazred posted:

It's a bad reinterpretation because it doesn't tell how he got crazy. In the books he got increasingly depressed because he was mind dueling with Sauron on a regular basis. In th book he's just an insane rear end in a top hat, in the books he's a good guy worn down by the enemy and his actions though wrong are understandable.

The movie keeps enough of the plot in his dialouge that im pretty sure they were planning on the Palatir reveal. Denethor repeatedly makes reference to not being blind, and knows of Aragorn before anyone could have told him.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Out of all the major characters in the films Denethor was certainly the one that could've benefited from a little more screen-time, with Faramir running a close second. I'm also one of those geeks who was aching when they heard about the cut Aragorn-Annatar duel that got replaced by a giant troll out of nowhere. It just would've capped off Aragorn's story so well!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There is a new Hobbit production video, not sure if there is a non-facebook version yet though : http://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Nilbop posted:

Out of all the major characters in the films Denethor was certainly the one that could've benefited from a little more screen-time, with Faramir running a close second. I'm also one of those geeks who was aching when they heard about the cut Aragorn-Annatar duel that got replaced by a giant troll out of nowhere. It just would've capped off Aragorn's story so well!

Haha me too, it would be he single most changed thing from the books, but gently caress it Aragorn vs Sauron would have owned.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Oasx posted:

There is a new Hobbit production video, not sure if there is a non-facebook version yet though : http://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ

I'm always amazed that I can enjoy these production videos more than most actual tv shows or movies. They're just so incredibly well done and have so much heart and care put into them.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Oasx posted:

This is the best one yet, those sets are beautiful. Dale and Beorn's house are going to be amazing on the big screen.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Vid 8 is now on the tubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1IqqN2yaZw

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Only thing that kept bugging me in the video is how the Dwarves' nose prosthetics are so rigid. I can see that coming off at limiting their expressions enough that it bothers me on screen when they're so prevalent.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Oasx posted:

THEY SHOWED THE GIANT! THEY SHOWED THE GIANT! HOLY poo poo! HOLY poo poo!

EDIT: Rest of the vid was pretty great, too. It didn't have much of a theme so it was kind of a organized mess, but it feels like that's what the final days of shooting was like so I'm cool with it.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 23, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Oasx posted:

Didn't realize Comic Con showed an exclusive new trailer for the movie, until I saw this. When is the rest of the world going to get to see that trailer?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

I said come in! posted:

Didn't realize Comic Con showed an exclusive new trailer for the movie, until I saw this. When is the rest of the world going to get to see that trailer?

New trailer coming in September. However, the comicon footage was something different (it was 12 minutes of footage from the film) and probably won't be released to us.

Anyway, that production video was unbelievable. So much new stuff shown. Dale looks incredible. Not sure how I feel about the design of the Stone-giant though, although I must admit he was definately a giant and also definately a stone, so I dunno what I was expecting really.

Edit:

I loved this bit:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 23, 2012

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Guess who turned into a sobbing baby at the Brazilian guy who was SO STOKED to be at Comic Con. Why the hell is it not December yet?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Interesting that they built such a big set for an intact Dale. I guess they must have a lot of interpolated stuff happening there in pre-dragon times - Tolkien didn't write much about that, so that'll be new land. (Presumably it's not for fully rebuilt Dale long after Smaug's death.)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I wonder who they blurred out towards the end when Peter says his speech.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Btw - that Elf woman in my earlier post - is that Tauriel? She fits the bill (red hair), but I can't tell if that's Evangeline Lilly or not...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I loved this bit:

Hahahah that is all sorts of :3:

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Oasx posted:

I wonder who they blurred out towards the end when Peter says his speech.

That last scene seemed to be between Ian McKellen and Sylvester McCoy, so I'm guessing the big brown blur was Radagast.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Those shirts that say "Andy's Flying Serkis" are awesome.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Whoa I just realized something.

Are Orcs immortal? They're just twisted elves after all. In the off-hand chance they don't die in combat these hideous beasts live forever right?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Man I dunno how many times I've told people "duh the stone giants are just a metaphor for the bad weather, silly :rolleyes:" but that big guy there looks pretty cool. I'm okay with it :colbert:

kiimo posted:

Are Orcs immortal? They're just twisted elves after all. In the off-hand chance they don't die in combat these hideous beasts live forever right?

I don't think we have much evidence one way or the other. You could say "they're elves after all and probably inherited the immortality" but also just as well claim "they obviously lost physical stature and intelligence so the immortality probably went too".

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm not sure it's addressed directly but didn't at least Azog live for a long, long time?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

kiimo posted:

Whoa I just realized something.

Tolkien says in Morgoth's Ring:

quote:

They could be slain, and they were subject to disease; but apart from these ills they died and were not immortal, even according to the manner of the Quendi; indeed they appear to have been by nature short-lived compared with the span of Men of higher race, such as the Edain.

However, there are a few passages in his novels where it is alluded that some orcs have had rather long lifespans, e.g. Azog was killed at the Battle of Azanulbizar in 2799, while his son Bolg was killed at the Battle of Five Armies in 2941. Thus, Bolg was at least 140 when he was slain.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
In the LOTR movies it was definitely a thing that the orcs had a short shelf life and were falling apart towards the end. I don't remember if it was supposed to be all the orcs or just the Uruks, though.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

It's so awesome that they threw us this little bone in the diary. PJ knows how to keep the fans happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That giant looks amazing, I had completely forgotten that section of the book and now I'm absolutely stoked to see it.

• Locked thread