Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Radish posted:

I bought an action replay to soft mod my PS2 and load games on it to reduce load times and stuff. I got the last level of DS2 without too much difficulty then realized to beat it I was under leveled to a significant degree so I just downloaded a save off of gamefaqs or something and beat it that way. Probably the biggest bet peeve of mine regarding RPGs in general are when you can get through the game fairly easily but then the last half hour ramps up the difficulty and requires grinding since you put your guys together the "wrong" way or used specific characters.

DS2 was way guilty of this. My team was loving awesome and demolished everything. I even enjoyed the other bosses. Right up until thethe 3rd phase which I thought was throwing blank damage but it was actually physical. I ended up fusing a Rangda and didn't even bother leveling itbingo, dead boss.

This also made me enjoy the next plays even more. Beezlebub was my bitch on the 2nd time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Alteisen posted:

Maybe on a 2nd run sure, but the human bosses are the worst and you won't have the OP tools for them till you actually kill them and crack them.
Stuff like multi-strike are cracked way before the human bosses that I am referencing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

I bought an action replay to soft mod my PS2 and load games on it to reduce load times and stuff. I got the last level of DS2 without too much difficulty then realized to beat it I was under leveled to a significant degree so I just downloaded a save off of gamefaqs or something using the AR and beat it that way. Probably the biggest bet peeve of mine regarding RPGs in general are when you can get through the game fairly easily but then the last half hour ramps up the difficulty and requires grinding since you put your guys together the "wrong" way or used specific characters.

I've never had this issue with other rpg's, to be honest it seems to be more of an Atlus thing, DS2 is an especially egrerious example as you have both regular levels as well mantra grinding, also the double gently caress you in which only Gale and Cielo ever stick with you through the entire game, its not fun at all to reach that point and realize you have to start from scratch with new people.

quote:

Stuff like multi-strike are cracked way before the human bosses that I am referencing.

And those guys will still demolish you, like you're a level 1 chump using a pixie.

I know precisely who you speak off, that's the point I gave up and sold the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm not really sure the point you're trying to make other than you got mad. The entire game is pretty transparent about skills so anything the AI does to you outside of bosses can be done right back to them and this includes most of the humans. In the case of bosses there are usually less dramatic options that accomplish the same thing like evil flow.

You argue that the game didn't give you the tools before those fights, but you have access to most game breaking stuff before those points. I am pretty sure can use the Evil Flow+Matchless combination by then with a lower ranked matchless until you get the plot demon later on in the day. You can certainly have access to assassinate/pierce before that day. You certainly have high AGI characters by then and thus can zerg with stuff like multi-strike or straight up spells if you really want (actually zerging works really well everywhere in the final half of the game outside of the very final fight).

I can appreciate that the game takes a difficulty spike at that point that may catch most people unaware, but the game does a pretty good job trying to tell you that you probably want to play the final day(s) a little bit differently if you haven't already started abusing alpha strike combinations. For me it was when I first fought Keito on the final days and got one rounded that I realized the game wasn't going to cop out with weaker bosses. To me, it was pretty obvious that if something one rounds me, then I should just one round them first in the same manner that I was just killed.

Usually if I wiped it was because I did dumb things like miscount a tile when approaching a boss with breath or because I decided to multi-strike a physical reflect boss :derp: The harbour boss was a challenge for me cause I stupidly didn't have any warp/flight with me on hand (a mistake I never repeated afterwards) as I did not think the game would place summon tiles in locations like that, so I lost by attrition afterwards.

In the end, I really can't put DS2 in the same realm of bullshit as the leading contender of Digital Devil Saga 2 where party mates come/go and your reward for liking the unlucky characters is playing catch-up.

Pierce posted:

My team was loving awesome and demolished everything. I even enjoyed the other bosses. Right up until thethe 3rd phase which I thought was throwing blank damage but it was actually physical. I ended up fusing a Rangda and didn't even bother leveling itbingo, dead boss.
Yeah I think this particular phase is definitely a fail for me since the entire thing folds in on itself with that one ability and if you can count tiles. There really should have been much more interaction with the arms but I guess they decided the fight was long enough as it was.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 17, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

You argue that the game didn't give you the tools before those fights, but you have access to most game breaking stuff before those points.

I haven't said this at all dude, I was very diligent in fusions and skill cracking and the game constantly bitched slapped me down with some stupidly overpowered enemy, demon or human. Even that horrible SDF mission in DS1 didn't make me feel that irritated, bullshit after bullshit topped off by a boss wayyyyyyyy above in terms of levels topped with some gimmick to make the fight even more irritating(that giant sea mine as a good example).

At least in DS1 your proper prep would be rewarded with a smooth battle.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Alteisen posted:

I haven't said this at all dude, I was very diligent in fusions and skill cracking and the game constantly bitched slapped me down with some stupidly overpowered enemy, demon or human. Even that horrible SDF mission in DS1 didn't make me feel that irritated, bullshit after bullshit topped off by a boss wayyyyyyyy above in terms of levels topped with some gimmick to make the fight even more irritating(that giant sea mine as a good example).

How? Seriously, by the final day of DS2 I was deliberately holding myself back because some of skills you crack are flat out broken and destroy any sense of challenge the game has.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In my playing of DS2 the only boss I found particularly bullshit was the loving skyscraper one and it wasn't due to difficulty it was because that boss was so loving gimmicked that it took me multiple tries before I finally wasted the damned thing. That being said though, as Rascyc is saying, DS2 is an easily breakable game like any other JRPG, it just takes a bit of prep and foresight in what you want and know your characters need. For instance: I wanted Jungo to be my physical user and overall powerhouse of my team.

ALL OF THE THINGS WERE DEAD FROM JUNGO'S FIST, even by the halfway point. Although I made the choice in going for Al Saiduq's ending and made the last boss harder than he really needed to be.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sex_Ferguson posted:

ALL OF THE THINGS WERE DEAD FROM JUNGO'S FIST, even by the halfway point. Although I made the choice in going for Al Saiduq's ending and made the last boss harder than he really needed to be.
Heh, speaking of that guy. Did anyone kill the special boss in their first game that shows up on that path's first stage? I took one look at that thing on my first play through and said gently caress no and plowed through the stage before it could catch up to me. I kind of regretted it a few stages later and had wished I had knuckled down to fight it.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Is there a trick to earning money in Devil Summoner 2? I never have enough and it bugs the hell out of me.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Rascyc posted:

Heh, speaking of that guy. Did anyone kill the special boss in their first game that shows up on that path's first stage? I took one look at that thing on my first play through and said gently caress no and plowed through the stage before it could catch up to me. I kind of regretted it a few stages later and had wished I had knuckled down to fight it.

You mean Shiva? Had the AO with Recarm and the MC throwing himself at the dude multiple times. It worked!

(Then because I forgot to raise the Fate levels of Jungo and the dancer girl I had to fight the next stage with only 2 characters as well.)

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Rascyc posted:

I did, much like Pureauthor did. Fellow goon Feinne not only beat it on first run, but completed the first run with no casualties, on Al Saiduq's route.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
I've been playing Strange Journey off and on for the last week. Surprisingly I really like it! I wasn't a huge fan of Nocturne, and I didn't like Etrian Odyssey much either, both of which felt way too "empty" to me. Having some character dialogue in between missions in Strange Journey somehow makes the game flow a lot more enjoyable. I'm also loving the chance to play a JRPG where none of the characters are teenagers.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

MaterialConceptual posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of Nocturne.

How does it feel to have terrible taste? :colbert:
I'm joking - I personally loved Nocturne precisely because of the "emptiness". Not many games get that feeling right these days.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quick question about Revelations Persona (er, PSP version): is there any reason to complete the maps and explore every tile? In other dungeon crawlers there will be invisible events or items in unexplored tiles but so far the dungeons are nothing more than empty halls with the occasional trap.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

al-azad posted:

Quick question about Revelations Persona (er, PSP version): is there any reason to complete the maps and explore every tile? In other dungeon crawlers there will be invisible events or items in unexplored tiles but so far the dungeons are nothing more than empty halls with the occasional trap.

No reason at all.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011

Rascyc posted:

I gave the AO a Dragon and a Kishin, and had him poke that boss to death with Holy Dance from a distance. The AO gets turns pretty fast - I don't think the boss got a chance to do much.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Rascyc posted:

Yeah I think this particular phase is definitely a fail for me since the entire thing folds in on itself with that one ability and if you can count tiles. There really should have been much more interaction with the arms but I guess they decided the fight was long enough as it was.

That was my major hold up. I was pretty sure all 3 needed to be destroyed and was not running a dragon at that point as I had nastier tanks instead.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

RadicalR posted:

How does it feel to have terrible taste? :colbert:
I'm joking - I personally loved Nocturne precisely because of the "emptiness". Not many games get that feeling right these days.

I'm going to go back and give it another try after I finish Strange Journey. It's been a long time since I last played it so maybe things will be different this time around.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

MaterialConceptual posted:

I'm going to go back and give it another try after I finish Strange Journey. It's been a long time since I last played it so maybe things will be different this time around.

I hear you on the "Not particularly interested in finishing Nocturne"
Myself, because I'm not exactly interested in Law vs Chaos vs Neutral and I feel the soundtrack just doesn't come close to the level of memorability and catchiness the Persona series has.
The press turn system is good but the fusing just feels extremely archaic when you come from newer games.

I'll slowly make my way through the second half of the last dungeon someday though, someday.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think if you've picked any side besides "gently caress everyone else" in Nocturne, you're doing it wrong. Because, seriously, gently caress everyone else in that game.

Isn't the fusion system essentially identical to every other game besides Devil Survivor?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Oh my god gently caress Pale Rider in Devil Summoner 2 :argh: By the time there's three of him out there, I go down in like 30 seconds.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

I think if you've picked any side besides "gently caress everyone else" in Nocturne, you're doing it wrong. Because, seriously, gently caress everyone else in that game.

I agree with this so much. On my first playthrough, I literally did not give a poo poo about anyone's side because all of them were absolutely insane and each one had poor reasoning for why I should take that side. It's the precursor to Strange Journey's choices in that any side besides neutral is an absolutely stupid choice to make from any logical person's point of view. I mean, Nocturne's a good game, but the choices were not a strong point of the game, nor was it even the story. The empty atmosphere was great and gameplay was really good, but monster recruiting is still tedious, dungeons are still dull except for the Amala ones, and really the story takes a while before anything actually happens (Around the Obelisk is when it finally got to that point). Hopefully SMT4 can improve on Nocturne's flaws.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Cityinthesea posted:

Is there a trick to earning money in Devil Summoner 2? I never have enough and it bugs the hell out of me.

Nope. Unless you want to scrape by with money, get used to doing the sidequests that give you money or sellable items, Ox Bezoars can give you 1k in a pinch, Beads can be traded for Balms of Life, and Somas are better off sold than kept because you can only have 1 in your inventory and they're wasted if you pick up any more. Really, only keep Somas if you are about to face a Fiend or in the final dungeon.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Persona 4 questions! So I was exploring the September dungeon when I happened across a room where Yosuke and Teddie were just hanging out chatting. Does this just happen randomly? I haven't seen it in any dungeon up to this point. Also, I remember reading that in the next month or so is where the good ending / bad ending decision happens- with minimal spoilers, what do I have to do to not get the bad ending? Is it worth having a second save to see what happens for both, or should I just go for the good one?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

DeathBySpoon posted:

Persona 4 questions! So I was exploring the September dungeon when I happened across a room where Yosuke and Teddie were just hanging out chatting. Does this just happen randomly? I haven't seen it in any dungeon up to this point. Also, I remember reading that in the next month or so is where the good ending / bad ending decision happens- with minimal spoilers, what do I have to do to not get the bad ending? Is it worth having a second save to see what happens for both, or should I just go for the good one?

Yeah, it's random and very rare, though I see it more in later dungeons. As for the good/bad ending split... be patient and be observant, and remember the primary theme of the game is seeking truth.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Read this: http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/persona-4-ending-guide-spoiler-free/1277/

There's no real point in getting anything other than the True Ending. Although, The Golden added yet another ending that certainly looks...interesting.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I think it's worth saving and checking out the bad ending just to see how depressing it is. Your last chance to save beforehand is pretty obvious, as it's one day during a set of exams where the game actually stops and allows you to save before going on to the next day.

But yeah, the only difference between the good and true endings is that the true ending has more stuff added on, so you don't miss anything by skipping the good end.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Okay, this is one awesome homage:

The original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-TfJ9c-m1E

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Ahahahaha, "Turn it off" indeed.

Wonder how many people got the reference?

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!
Wait, does that mean the "Turn it off" video/story isn't fake and SMT1 will actually do that if you're willing to reset enough times, or did Atlus know about that story and decided to put it in there for laughs?

I really want to believe that it's the former. :v:

VVVVV That is awesome.

Silly Voodoo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 24, 2012

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Silly Voodoo posted:

Wait, does that mean the "Turn it off" video/story isn't fake and SMT1 will actually do that if you're willing to reset enough times, or did Atlus know about that story and decided to put it in there for laughs?

I really want to believe that it's the former. :v:

It is for real, but only in the first release. ATLUS took out the code after that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm sure these aren't new to most people but I just wanted to post them because Kazuma Kaneko owns :allears:

I like to think he just prances around that flower field when he's brainstorming new designs :3:

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

October in Persona 4 was... :psyduck:

Really? I mean, it's probably not the worst thing ever put into a JRPG, but it seriously just felt like I was watching the worst filler episode possible, especially after Naoto joined and it was revealed the killer is still at large. Any momentum they had from that was totally killed by LOL AWKWARD CLASS SHOW. Oh well, the game is still pretty good so far, that just totally killed the mood.

Also, Teddie gets really annoying when he's not in his bear suit. Go back to your puns, you were better as an empty suit. Constantly talking about the girls gets really old really fast.

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 25, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

DeathBySpoon posted:

Also, Teddie gets really annoying when he's not in his bear suit. Go back to your puns, you were better as an empty suit. Constantly talking about the girls gets really old really fast.

Would you characterize him as unbearable?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
His character outside of the bear suit is bad enough to put me in kodiak arrest!

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Just beat Persona 4! Reactions / thought dump to follow. Major spoilers, obviously (And some P2:IS spoilers too):

I actually really liked everything that happened in the true ending. I felt it actually tied the whole game together and reminded me a lot of P2:IS where (correct me if I'm wrong, its been a while since I played it) the collective unconscious was bleeding into reality, causing the rumors to become true. I really liked the way they wrapped up the cause and origin of the Midnight Channel like that. My biggest gripes with the game are almost all related to the social side of it- Yosuke's a huge rear end that should have had multiple "Punch Me" options, Teddie's explanation was pretty good but the dreamy prettyboy thing was embearrassingly bad, and the "LOL GUYS LETS SNEAK PEAKS AT THE GIRLS / GET THEM TO WEAR BIKINIS" thing got really really old after the billionth time it was brought up. It's bad enough that I'd hesitate recommending it to my friends because of how pervy it was, when its otherwise a really good game. The lead up to Nametame was great, as I was totally ready to chuck his rear end into the TV, but kept another save file so I could keep on going to the true ending. Definitely felt bad about that soon after. Adachi was perfect for the killer and my only complaint there is that by the end, there were no other possible suspects. Dojima almost could have been if it weren't for the fact that Nanako had just been kidnapped previously and he almost died trying to get her back. If they had reversed the order of those events, it could have worked really well- Accuse Dojima or Adachi, and then while the party is distracted with that, Adachi gets away and takes Nanako into the TV with him or something. There are lots of things that could have been smoothed over, regardless. That said, there were two plotholes that stuck out to me:

-When Teddie is having his existential crisis, they go into the TV to look for him. They can't find him, so they just... leave? How? It was a pretty big deal for most of the game that only Teddie could get people out of the TV world.

-When Nanako is kidnapped, the party explains to Adachi about the TV stuff and why they need to go asap. Then, when they accuse Adachi of being the murderer, he says something like "You think I threw them in?" and it's the big "A-HA!" moment. Except... we just told him about the TV world a few days ago. Oops.

Overall I enjoyed it, and it'll take some thinking as to whether I liked this or P3 more. P3's end sequence is just so good, and I felt like it had less of the creepy stuff (mostly...) but P4 really tied together well with the last day's events.

Lastly, a few questions- does anyone have an explanation of exactly how the Izanagi / Izanami myth is represented in the game? Given your starting Persona, it seems like Yu is Izanagi, and the TV world could be the underworld that he goes in, but from there the rest of the myth that you're told in class doesn't seem to line up with the game's events. I'm awful at this kind of stuff though, so maybe I'm just missing something really obvious.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

DeathBySpoon posted:

-When Teddie is having his existential crisis, they go into the TV to look for him. They can't find him, so they just... leave? How? It was a pretty big deal for most of the game that only Teddie could get people out of the TV world.

Stack o' TVs that Teddie summoned the first time he let the gang out. They're there for the rest of the game, I assume he just never magicked them away.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I dunno man the end of Aigis's social link is 10x creepier than anything P4 did.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DeathBySpoon posted:

Lastly, a few questions- does anyone have an explanation of exactly how the Izanagi / Izanami myth is represented in the game? Given your starting Persona, it seems like Yu is Izanagi, and the TV world could be the underworld that he goes in, but from there the rest of the myth that you're told in class doesn't seem to line up with the game's events. I'm awful at this kind of stuff though, so maybe I'm just missing something really obvious.

From the sounds, you haven't actually achieved the True Ending. Keep in mind that December is only the Good Ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DeathBySpoon posted:

October in Persona 4 was... :psyduck:

Really? I mean, it's probably not the worst thing ever put into a JRPG, but it seriously just felt like I was watching the worst filler episode possible, especially after Naoto joined and it was revealed the killer is still at large. Any momentum they had from that was totally killed by LOL AWKWARD CLASS SHOW. Oh well, the game is still pretty good so far, that just totally killed the mood.

Yea Naoto's dungeon and october is quite weak and the game starts to go poo poo a little, picks up around november at least and doesn't let up till the end.