Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

There should be nothing wrong with these wheels, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh man, what a game last night. We were up against the team that ruined our undefeated streak earlier in the season. We were tied 1-1 most of the game with shots teetering back and forth. With a couple minutes left, it looked like we were going to a shootout.

Until I got a breakaway and buried the game-winner with 1:40 left in the game. My whole line mauled me in the corner after I scored. It was insane.

:chord:

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

EvilTwig posted:

Sorry to hear about your leg. My broken fibula took about 6 months to get back to skating, but I did not need to be operated on. Once you start to get mobile again, you might want to look at getting these cheap forearm crutches ( http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Weight-Forearm-Crutch/dp/B002VWJYV6 ) as they don't build up a callous on your side like the normal ones do.

drat, 6 months? That is a long time, but I assume mine will be about as long. I'm non-weight bearing for 4 weeks, then I can start doing PT and hopefully some assisted short distance walking...this will suck.

I'm worried that when I do get back to playing, I'm going to be so timid around the boards that I end up just being completely ineffective.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

robcat posted:

I'm worried that when I do get back to playing, I'm going to be so timid around the boards that I end up just being completely ineffective.

Sounds like you need Doug Glatt!

get well soon

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Gio posted:

There should be nothing wrong with these wheels, right?

Those are hard wheels and are meant for skating on concrete. If you are playing on concrete then they should be fine. If you are in fact playing on sport court or most inline surfaces, prepare to feel like you just stepped out onto ice ... in your inlines.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Almost forgot, during our game last night, one of our D-men kicked the puck out of our defensive zone to a winger. One of their forwards turns to the ref and starts yelling FOOT PASS! FOOT PASS! FOOT PASS REF!

:downs:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Did the ref tell him that he didn't see a distinct kicking motion, so he was gonna let it go?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be concerned only if it looked like he closed his foot on the puck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Game was 3-2 in the 3rd with ~6 minutes to go, we put the power line out there and decided to stop loving around, we had 3 bang-bang goals in a row. I wasn't winning poo poo against this guy in the face-off circle so I was pushing the puck past him and our wingers would swoop in and get the puck and start it into their zone. Worked basically 3 times with some great passing in the zone once we were in.

So these are quick goals and we've got some adrenaline rolling and stay out there. Then on the next face-off their center decided to essentially ignore the puck drop and just take a run at me and throw his shoulder into my head. No call so I follow him, he takes a shot, and goes behind the net to get the rebound, where I give him a good , clean hit at speed and knock him off the puck. I then take the puck end to end and score with a low far side snapshot.

The official skates to the bench after the drop and tells me "I saw it at center ice and I gave you the one behind the net in return because you kept it clean. Now do your part and stay on the bench the rest of the game". There was about 2 min left so it wasn't a huge request. I love officials that can explain the calls and understand and acknowledge the ebb and flow of the game. Stuff like that makes it worth biting your tongue and always being courteous to them no matter how many calls they miss.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

sellouts posted:

The official skates to the bench after the drop and tells me "I saw it at center ice and I gave you the one behind the net in return because you kept it clean. Now do your part and stay on the bench the rest of the game". There was about 2 min left so it wasn't a huge request. I love officials that can explain the calls and understand and acknowledge the ebb and flow of the game. Stuff like that makes it worth biting your tongue and always being courteous to them no matter how many calls they miss.

I would take that as a great compliment to you. The ref saw exactly what happened, understood that you were competent and knew how to handle yourself. You maintained the flow of the game without letting someone get the better of you. He recognized that and trusted you.

We've got 1, maybe 2 officials at our league that do things like this. Unfortunately they rarely work my division. Our last game, the official called an icing against a shorthanded team. This isn't the first time that it has happened.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

oddIXIbbo posted:

We've got 1, maybe 2 officials at our league that do things like this. Unfortunately they rarely work my division. Our last game, the official called an icing against a shorthanded team. This isn't the first time that it has happened.
Sometimes poo poo happens cause they're human. Case in point: Last game we were up maybe 4-2 at this point, I come on for a shift puck gets played perfectly between my feet on a break-out and I pick it up for a clean breakaway with one man behind me. I get inside their zone and am about to shoot when the whistle blows.

Ref looks around and realizes he thought that we had too many men on the ice, when we didn't, but because our jerseys are dark blue, and the other team was wearing some dark green's he got them mixed up.

Was pissed because I might've scored, but in the end it worked out cause our line managed to bang in a goal in the next 20 seconds or so.

Of course right after it goes in the same ref who made the mistake blows his whistle and is waving his hands and says "No goal!" and then proceeded to laugh.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

real_scud posted:

Sometimes poo poo happens cause they're human. Case in point: Last game we were up maybe 4-2 at this point, I come on for a shift puck gets played perfectly between my feet on a break-out and I pick it up for a clean breakaway with one man behind me. I get inside their zone and am about to shoot when the whistle blows.

Ref looks around and realizes he thought that we had too many men on the ice, when we didn't, but because our jerseys are dark blue, and the other team was wearing some dark green's he got them mixed up.

Was pissed because I might've scored, but in the end it worked out cause our line managed to bang in a goal in the next 20 seconds or so.

Of course right after it goes in the same ref who made the mistake blows his whistle and is waving his hands and says "No goal!" and then proceeded to laugh.

I can totally see how it's easy to be intently watching the play, pressure deep in the zone and sort of 'tune out' the fact that a team is shorthanded. One sees a long clear out of the defensive zone to relieve pressure and the hand goes up. Completely understood. I'm ticked that the same ref has blown this call about 5 times since I started at this rink.

This set of officials always put the resulting faceoff deep in the advantaged team's zone (as if to continue the icing) and not at center ice (as if for an inadvertant whistle). This one confuses me but at least it's consistent.

I've seen it enough to know that it's coming but I need to explain it to the 4-5 guys on my bench that start bitching up a storm when the faceoff is in our zone.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I got invited to play in a weekend tournament late next month. Naturally I said hell yeah, sign me up. I'm totally stoked. We probably don't stand a chance but who the hell cares? Wall-to-wall hockey for three days? Oh yeah.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Verman posted:

Those are hard wheels and are meant for skating on concrete. If you are playing on concrete then they should be fine. If you are in fact playing on sport court or most inline surfaces, prepare to feel like you just stepped out onto ice ... in your inlines.
I had 84s before and it was kinda like that I guess, but I managed. I want to skate on concrete as well.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Played one of the hardest games of my life tonight. It was hot, humid and started at 10:10 pm.

We only had 6 guys show up, meaning we had 2 subs. We shifted the roles around and instead of me playing as a forward, I ended up playing D instead.

Somehow I still managed to get three (almost 4) goals even though none of them were from the point. First one was skating in through a few guys, threw an in stride shot above his glove high in the glove corner. The next was a near goal and I was close to the net and saw a rebound bouncing and I made a pretty distinct kicking motion at the puck sending it in. I actually signaled to the ref that I kicked it and it was waved off. The second was one of my favorites, coming around the back of the boards back to my spot at the point, as I was leaving the goal line along the boards, I made a quick turn and shot on net completely beating the goalie far side. The third was another where I was waiting for a pass at the point, and the mass of players went towards the far side of the net with the puck coming out in front, I skated up, deked one guy and another wrist shot but this time the puck went under the arm pit.

Our stand in goalie was playing like poo poo and completely wiped out. He let in a lot of garbage but came up strong when the tie went to a shootout. I put the shot straight into his chest, we scored twice and then our goalie saved their last attempt.

Hardest win I think we've ever grinded out. I also ran over some tape and it stopped one of my wheels. Trying to back pedal and play effective D with a brake on your skate is really difficult. I still managed to make a few blocks and get off for a shift to remove it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We had 8 guys, including goalie, show up for our game last night against a full bench. It didn't end up being too terrible. We only lost 9-5, but goddamn am I tired today.

They had one dude with an absolute FILTHY wrister. It was in the back of the net, laser accuracy, before our goalie even had a chance to react. I even had my stick on his for one of his goals on a backcheck and I have no clue how he even got a shot off. He ended up with 5 goals.

In summary, 3-game weekends :getin:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 24, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know how you do it.. I am completely useless the day after I play hockey. Muscles have zero energy and my knees usually feel like they aren't quite ready to carry my full weight.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

I don't know how you do it.. I am completely useless the day after I play hockey. Muscles have zero energy and my knees usually feel like they aren't quite ready to carry my full weight.

Go hard or go home. :smug:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

xzzy posted:

You've only been playing for a little while haven't you though? I know in the beginning I was pretty bad the day after a game, nowadays I feel pretty decent the next day.

The only time that's not true is if we have a short bench, then I'm usually a bit sore.

So just keep playing more and more and your body will get accustomed to it and it won't be no big thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A little over a year, so yeah not too long.

I've been hitting the gym pretty hard the past 18 months too (gotta get my money's worth :haw:) and while my capacity has gone up measurably, I'm still pretty wimpy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, the day after games doesn't really bother me anymore unless it was a late game and I'm getting up for work the next morning (like today). My schedule is pretty brutal, especially since I'm training for Tough Mudder and also lift 3x a week. My body has gotten used to it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
It just comes with time. I remember wondering if I was even going to make it a full game my first few, but now I can play a few games in a row if needed.

Obviously your conditioning will improve over time and your muscles will get used to the workout, but I think one of the things you learn as you play more is when to use your energy and just being efficient with it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Exactly. If you don't backcheck, you don't burn precious energy :science:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I see that a lot, the more veteran dudes just kind of putter around until the puck slides in their direction.

I treat hockey mostly as exercise so I motor just as fast as my legs will push me, all the time. Which has helped, I can now catch up to dudes on a breakaway that were outrunning me 6 months ago.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Floaty Europeans? No, here we call them Euro Energy Savers.

In other news, I did the first week of C25K and I'm thinking I'll repeat it a second time, just to make sure my body is up to snuff here (and hopefully by next week I'll have a completely healthy hemoglobin count, assuming I don't already). It kind of doesn't help that Ithaca is hilly as poo poo, but I guess that just makes the exercise I'm getting all the better. I'm not really getting chances to skate at the moment but I think if my legs are in good shape and I have decent stamina from cardio that getting back into it won't be too much of a problem.

Of course my whole upper body is now wimpy as poo poo and I'm so out of practice shooting that I won't have much of anything in the way of shooting when I start up, but hey, baby steps.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

I see that a lot, the more veteran dudes just kind of putter around until the puck slides in their direction.

I treat hockey mostly as exercise so I motor just as fast as my legs will push me, all the time. Which has helped, I can now catch up to dudes on a breakaway that were outrunning me 6 months ago.

How long are your shifts?

How you "treat" hockey is mostly correct in theory (move your feet is great advice in beer league almost all of the time) although even the pros do not sprint everywhere at all times. But with that attitude you have to be very smart in how you change and you'd better hope nothing goes wrong that causes you to delay your change. If a shift is going to be longer than you want, you'd better start figuring out how to conserve energy. If you're balls out sprint chasing the puck in the defensive zone while the other team cycles you'd better have some sprint left in your tank at all times in case the chance to break up their offense presents itself.

Also if you conserve your energy at the beginning of your shift you can further increase your speed differential by having more in the tank 45 seconds into the shift when the other team is starting to get tired. Not a bad thing to try against certain teams.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

poo poo, yea, I gotta do cardio like a motherfucker. I should probably give C25K a try again.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

So often, when there's a turnover, I feel myself grit my teeth and with pure adrenaline force my legs to push hard as I can after the puck. It's a great feeling, and even when I was young, I never got this fired up in games. Yeah, I'm still an out of shape gently caress, but I find myself actually wanting to put every ounce of strength into it.

EDIT: by "games" I mean scrimmages at the end of clinics :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

1-2 minutes, depending how deep the bench is. I'm sure there's some 3 minute shifts in there too.

I don't stare at the clock though.. I usually budget for two transitions (that is, offense to defense to offense or vice versa) and then get my rear end off the ice. It seems to work okay, I've never been unable to contribute if I get stuck on the ice.

If I do have any issues with energy, it only shows up at the end of the game as I get a bit lazy when I'm running on empty. And the next day. If anyone were to ask me to play a game the day after I'd whine until they gave up and walked away. :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Don't ever turn down more hockey! Hockey is awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The spirit is willing but the body is weak.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don't ever turn down more hockey! Hockey is awesome.

gently caress yes, because there will come a day when you will no longer be able to play. Get it in while you can. :corsair:

xzzy posted:

That body can be trained and built up. Get to it. :)

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Death by hockey ranks up there as one of the best ways to go.

Also, chicks dig hockey players. I'm a NASA astrophysicist, and I seriously get 10x better reactions from girls when I tell them about my "playing hockey" than my working for NASA.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

IT admin at Fermilab here. Go-go government teat!

I'm married, so seducing girls is in my past. Wife thinks is pretty cool though, so I suppose that counts.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

NASA would probably get you more tail if the government funded it properly and education wasn't so down the toilet.

Maybe. Hockey is pretty sweet.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hey Pleads did Canada give you a grant to sponsor writing that post?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

JetsGuy posted:

Also, chicks dig hockey players.

Yeah, we do. Part of the reason I started playing was to meet guys who play hockey. Sucks for me that all the ones I've met so far are married, though. All the other chicks got there first and snapped 'em up, I guess. :argh:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

NASA astrophysicist

:stare:

:smug: How you doing?

Um, I'm in the IT field, have interests in Physics and Astronomy and yes, the ladies like Hockey players more.

Although this makes me wonder something. What are the incidences of a S.T.E.M. Field job and hockey playing or fandom?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

Hey Pleads did Canada give you a grant to sponsor writing that post?

Just a free Double Double from Tim's, there, eh! :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

IT admin at Fermilab here. Go-go government teat!

I'm married, so seducing girls is in my past. Wife thinks is pretty cool though, so I suppose that counts.

:hfive:

Also, getting the wife all worked up over your hockey playing is important too, dude.

Pleads posted:

NASA would probably get you more tail if the government funded it properly and education wasn't so down the toilet.

Maybe. Hockey is pretty sweet.

It tends to get smart girls interested. At 28, I've learned that I cannot date girls that aren't smart.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Yeah, we do. Part of the reason I started playing was to meet guys who play hockey. Sucks for me that all the ones I've met so far are married, though. All the other chicks got there first and snapped 'em up, I guess. :argh:

...and where I play most of the girls are married with kids, lol. There are some younger girls, but they tend to be super good, having played in college and poo poo.

VendaGoat posted:

:stare:

:smug: How you doing?

Um, I'm in the IT field, have interests in Physics and Astronomy and yes, the ladies like Hockey players more.

:smug: How YOU doing?

VendaGoat posted:

Although this makes me wonder something. What are the incidences of a S.T.E.M. Field job and hockey playing or fandom?

I have a sort of sample bias going on because astronomers are awesome. We play hard, any town who's hosted an AAS conference can tell you that. They do work too much, but there are worse vices.

-------

EDIT: SAS Hockey Player thread - the best SAS thread.