Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

So, I've had this copy of RE5 Gold lying around and I'd at least like to attempt to beat it before I forget about it again and the PS whatever comes out next year. Basically, if you'd like to co op with someone who really hasn't played the game (what a shock), hit up HappyPantsDance on the PSN. Let's kill zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Green Puddin posted:

So, I've had this copy of RE5 Gold lying around and I'd at least like to attempt to beat it before I forget about it again and the PS whatever comes out next year. Basically, if you'd like to co op with someone who really hasn't played the game (what a shock), hit up HappyPantsDance on the PSN. Let's kill zombies.

Dang, I'd totally take you up on this if I wasn't stuck out of town on business :( You can add me if you want. I'm always up for some co-op shenanigans. This goes for anyone else here too.

PSN ID: Firefox357

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
Same here, sent HappyPantsDance a friend invite. Almost forgot I had this game...

Adding FireFox357 also for other possible co-op brosef crew.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Does anyone else think Little big planet 2 sucks? I try to like it because of the aesthetic and its cool in theory but it isnt fun to play. The actual jumping and physics are so floaty and imprecise that theres lots of frustrating deaths, especially with the grappling hook and other attachments. Also all the gimmicky levels like the sidescroller stuff are really lovely sidescrollers. The user created content mostly sucks poo poo or looks kinda cool but sucks poo poo to play. Why does this game suck

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Does anyone else think Little big planet 2 sucks? I try to like it because of the aesthetic and its cool in theory but it isnt fun to play. The actual jumping and physics are so floaty and imprecise that theres lots of frustrating deaths, especially with the grappling hook and other attachments. Also all the gimmicky levels like the sidescroller stuff are really lovely sidescrollers. The user created content mostly sucks poo poo or looks kinda cool but sucks poo poo to play. Why does this game suck

I agree, I like it a lot actually because it's a game that's good when goofing off with a friend. I won't deny though that the minute you try to play it like a "real game" or put it next to even the floaty animal mascot platformers of old, it really falls short. I was actually very let down by how loose the controls remained after LBP1.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Yeah, those are exactly my feelings on LittleBigPlanet ever since the first one and people always call me crazy. The physics always felt like I was being dragged down too hard to the ground after jumping, which was the exact opposite of what I expected from a cutesy platformer. Plus the whole background/foreground mechanic where you have to duck in and out of them to do certain things sucks. And yeah I'm really tired of playing LBP games, turning on the Top 10, and seeing poo poo like "I made a calculator!" or "Play my free version of Tetris!" that looks cool but sucks, or stupid poo poo like "Hey get 15 free trophies in a minute!" and maybe ONE cool sidescroller level. The LBP concept is so loving awesome but I've never liked the game behind it.

I got the LBP Vita beta awhile back and played it all of once, seeing that it was the exact same as LBP 1 and 2. Only now it's even more frustrating because they have poo poo like front and rear touch screen integration, motion controls, and camera functionality. So now you have dumb poo poo like jumping up and tapping a thing then blindly swatting at the back of the Vita to push out a platform and then shaking the drat thing around to open a door at the end of a hallway and it's just abhorrent.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I liked 1, despite the floatyness, but I lost interest in 2 rather quickly. It seems like every single level has some stupid gimmick that you need to utilize. I mean, OK its cute and all that I'm shooting a cupcake or whatever, but I don't want to play entire levels with the stupid thing. I just want to platform, drat it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I agree with you guys for the most part. I also don't understand why LBP games have really rough unpolished graphics. They're PS3 exclusives, c'mon son.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

I agree with you guys for the most part. I also don't understand why LBP games have really rough unpolished graphics. They're PS3 exclusives, c'mon son.

What? Those games are gorgeous.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
LBP2 is my favorite PS3 game. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LBP2 is really impressive as a creation tool but really not very fun to play.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

How to play LBP2:

1: Get drunk.
2: Find a shark attack level.
3: Enjoy.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I like playing LBP2 with friends, but browsing user levels is really frustrating. I'll probably play it once every couple of months just to try a level one of my more LBP-obsessed friends has recommended.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Green Puddin posted:

How to play LBP2:

This was exactly how I played LBP1 with friends and it's way more fun than it should be. Stuff like that which makes use of LBP's physics is an absolute hoot to play.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Green Puddin posted:

How to play LBP2:

Everything seems more fun when you're drunk so that doesn't really mean anything.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, when did everyone turn on LBP?

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
About six hours after I put the disc in.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

After I played LBP's beta for like an hour.

edit: but I should elaborate that I got it as a Christmas gift also and beat the single player, so I didn't base my opinions off the beta alone.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 24, 2012

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I only bought LBP to hear Stephen Fry whisper sweet nothings into my ears and wasn't disappointed.

edit: and to make dick rockets flying into anuses since i'm a child

GUI fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 24, 2012

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Everything seems more fun when you're drunk so that doesn't really mean anything.

Seriously? Thank you for this information! I'll have to do more things when I drink now!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GUI posted:

I only bought LBP to hear Stephen Fry whisper sweet nothings into my ears and wasn't disappointed.

edit: and to make dick rockets flying into anuses since i'm a child

That's definitely a plus. Honestly I don't hate LBP but the games have a ton of flaws that can really bother me. The engine is like 50/50 when it comes to feeling really fun and unique vs completely clunky.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Green Puddin posted:

Seriously? Thank you for this information! I'll have to do more things when I drink now!
Well...yeah. I often hear the argument that games are fun when you're drunk and with your friends, and the thing is almost anything is fun under those conditions, because it's the booze and the friends you are enjoying, so it's not particularly a reflection on the game itself. Just being drunk is less so I guess, but still.

edit: as an online game, making precision jumping important would have ruined LBP from the start, right?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 24, 2012

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

That's definitely a plus. Honestly I don't hate LBP but the games have a ton of flaws that can really bother me. The engine is like 50/50 when it comes to feeling really fun and unique vs completely clunky.

I can see what you're getting at and I feel the same way. I think because of the way that Media Molecule has coded the physics, anything that relies on precision platforming is absolutely horrific. On the flipside however, anything that relies on the crazy physics for fun (for example shark attack levels) are absolutely brilliant to play.

It all depends on whether levels take into account what the engine is good at to be honest. It's like if Namco decided to use the Ridge Racer engine to make a simulation racing game, it just wouldn't be fun at all compared to using the physics engine to its advantage (sliding sideways everywhere at ridiculous speeds). I think the same is true for the LBP engine and what it's application is with levels.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I don't think it's possible to hate LBP after you've played it with friends online / offline. Sure some of it might seem extra difficult or impossible at times due to how it handles multiple players, but at the same time that's what made it so fun for me. Heck I've been playing through LBP2 a bit at a time since PS+ with a friend and it's a ton of fun. And I haven't even done any player made maps with them yet, just the story stuff!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think the clunky feeling issue is just that most of us have poured hours into Marios, Super Meat Boy, insert really tight platformers here, and can't separate the general platformer feel from LBP. It doesn't need to be tight and flawless from a control standpoint but it's really difficult to convince yourself of that. Hopefully no one reading this decides to pass on the games because they do have a lot to offer. You shouldn't buy LBP to test your platformer skills, you should buy it to experience a pleasant world full of interesting ideas and designs. Like others have said, get a buddy beside you and have a fun time without taking the game serious.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The UK is getting PS3 consoles in three different colors this week: Red/Silver/White.

America is stuck with drab black.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Chemtrail Clem posted:

I played LBP2 about 5 times, and I couldn't bring myself to put it in my PS3 again. Did they fix the laggy, lovely connections? When I played it, the screen would flicker between "loading" and the game screen so fast when I was online that it was actually seizure-inducing.

On another note, I just found out how many N64, NES, and SNES games Nintendo has been putting on their store when I hooked my Wii up for the first time in months. Why are the PS Classics so lacking still? Where's the Mega Man X series? Where's Gran Turismo 1? Where's all the other games I used to play on my PSX? And why are do they keep putting up non-translated Japanese games? There's nothing more annoying than buying Mega Man 2 and trying to figure out what the menu says, yet all the in-game text is in English.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 24, 2012

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

I love platformers and user-created content, but I just can't get into LBP2 no matter how hard I try. The level editor is really cool, but I'm not smart or creative enough to make good use of it. Meanwhile, the gameplay is really floaty and imprecise, making difficult levels frustrating, and easy levels... well, easy levels are boring. Dicking around seeing what people have made is cool enough, but the actual experience of playing the game bores the crap out of me.

It's a bummer because I want so bad to like LBP because it seems like exactly the kind of game I would love.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I will agree that the floaty jumping sucks rear end, but the LBP games are pretty fun. If you're looking for fun LBP2 levels in the in-game browser, you're doing it wrong. Go to lbp.me and queue up your levels there.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

LittleBigPlanet has awesome art design, lighting, physics, customisation and Stephen Fry's voice. Also, I didn't have trouble acing both games despite the platforming being allegedly 'awful'.

In other news, Kotaku turned out to be full of poo poo, because Final Fantasy Versus XIII is still in development.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-24-final-fantasy-versus-13-still-alive-square-enix-confirms

The boss of Square Enix, Yoichi Wada said on Twitter:

Yoichi Wada posted:

There's someone making a false rumour that Versus was cancelled," he said. "Haha... just a minute ago, the regular Versus meeting ended. If you saw the presentation of the city, it'd knock you off your feet - lol.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sony is shutting down online multiplayer for the following games.
(Apologies if this was posted earlier.)

•The Eye of Judgment Legend (PSP) – August 31
•MotorStorm Pacific Rift (PS3) - October 1
•MotorStorm Arctic Edge (PSP) - October 1
•SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 3 (PSP) - October 1

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/726223/sony-pulls-the-plug-for-online-support-for-four-titles/

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Harlock posted:

The UK is getting PS3 consoles in three different colors this week: Red/Silver/White.

America is stuck with drab black.

gently caress I want the white console so badly

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Cartoon Man posted:

Sony is shutting down online multiplayer for the following games.
(Apologies if this was posted earlier.)

•The Eye of Judgment Legend (PSP) – August 31
•MotorStorm Pacific Rift (PS3) - October 1
•MotorStorm Arctic Edge (PSP) - October 1
•SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 3 (PSP) - October 1

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/726223/sony-pulls-the-plug-for-online-support-for-four-titles/

Good thing that Arctic Edge and Fireteam Bravo both work on the (beta) ad-hoc plugin.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

That loving Sned posted:

In other news, Kotaku turned out to be full of poo poo, because Final Fantasy Versus XIII is still in development.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-24-final-fantasy-versus-13-still-alive-square-enix-confirms

The boss of Square Enix, Yoichi Wada said on Twitter:
Well, in Kotaku's defense, it is a fairly reasonable thing to think, FFV13 is vaporware as hell right now.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

axleblaze posted:

Man, when did everyone turn on LBP?

If there's anything I've learned on these forums, there are always a good number of goons who hate something, even if it's well-regarded by the general public. The Avengers and Dark Knight Rises topics are good examples.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh lordy no! People dislike things that other people like! GOON-PHENOMENON!

Or maybe just differing opinions. I liked LBP1, but felt the multiplayer usually made it harder to accomplish anything. LBP2 was pretty good. LBPKarting Beta is rad.

Dark Knight Rises is a bad movie. And I loved TDK.

:)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
LBP is decent at times, but I can never shake that feeling that I am having "fun" more because I am impressed that people actually made the levels I am playing more than the actual platforming. I mean I have played a couple of titanic levels and set piece inspired levels, but the actual action is pretty mediocre, but I am always impressed that people were capable of making it using the LBP tools.

Behonkiss posted:

If there's anything I've learned on these forums, there are always a good number of goons who hate something, even if it's well-regarded by the general public. The Avengers and Dark Knight Rises topics are good examples.

Do we really need to get into this "goony" nonsense? There have been people since day 1 who have hated the floaty controls. I have hated from day 1 how goofy the game handles "enemies".

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I appreciate LBP for its charm (which it has tons of) and the building tools. It's just that I have no desire to create something that's limited to the game because of the other downsides it has, which have been brought up by others. The games have a lot going for them but personally I can't find much fun in them in the end. The charm can keep me interested only for so long.

But that's just my opinion. Or perhaps it's because I'm part of the goon hivemind haters of things some people like. :tinfoil:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Until now I didn't know other people disliked LBP for the same reasons I did so I couldn't have been part of the hive-mind...unless it's subconscious and I didn't even know it? Scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
When was the last time anyone had any fun with a floaty platformer? That's right, never.

And that's why I don't like LBP. :colbert:

• Locked thread