Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
Yukari's potential is probably the highest of all. Wind magic = fast movement, and an archer that heals herself on the go means she has a high chance of being a zoning goddess. Not so much the Hawkeye in trickery, more the traditional Mina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
There is already a zoning character that can heal herself. They're gonna have to do better than that.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 22, 2012

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Put in Jack Frost, obviously.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Raidou Kuzunoha and Demifiend need to be in this game and canon is not an acceptable barrier.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
To be fair they could probably gin up an excuse for at least Raidou (he got to 2012 via the Akarana Corridor or something)

I wouldn't be super surprised if they put in whoever the SMTIV protagonist is going to be in the future.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Countblanc posted:

Put in Jack Frost, obviously.

I would enjoy this, but moreso if his persona was the main character from Persona 3.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mio Bison posted:

Raidou Kuzunoha and Demifiend need to be in this game and canon is not an acceptable barrier.

The correct-est opinion. Raidou 4 Lyfe.

edit: also maybe that dude from Strange Journey. A machine gun dude could be cool, but if I had to pick between him and a grown up Eikichi and his El Mariachi machine gun then I'd take Mr. Sushi Glam Rocker.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

I really can't get the desire for Yukari being in this.

Yukari adds another demographic of anime waifus that isn't covered at all by any of the wafius already in the game, was basically the heroine of persona 3 until they realized how popular aigis was and made FES, and since she was in everyone's party at all times I guess people just got attached to her.

As for moveset like the other guy said make her play like mina/hawkeye and have her zoning game be less about setups and screen control and more about putting lots of projectiles on the screen, I dunno, I never really wanted her but I can see it working out okay.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
No, even in the vanilla game, Aigis pretty much overtakes the other options and becomes the main heroine, for as much as you can have one in Persona 3. Aigis has the most to lose going into the final battle, and I believe she's the one that shows up on the roof during in the ending, unless FES/Portable does things to change that.

Mitsuru can be seen as more the main heroine over Yukari, since Mitsuru has the whole "fix what my family started" angle, and is the leader until you show up in the game. The only claim Yukari really has for being the main heroine is being the only playable female for the first fifth of the game.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

What about the fact that Yukari gets way more actual character development stuff outside of slinks compared to everyone else? Being in an identical situation to the protagonist and getting the most scenes with him out of your entire party (who aside from Junpei really don't get any at all?). I'm not sure how Mitsuru can really be anything resembling a heroine when outside of slinks you talk with her twice in the entire game. Aigis being the only person on the roof until the psp game is A Thing, but I dunno, I don't really wanna sit here white knighting a videogame character.

So, Elizabeth, why is she bottom tier? Is she reverse Phoenix where her options just dont make up for her health, or is everyone else just even dumber? Like, I'm still gonna sub her because she looks really fun to play, but I wanna know what excuse to use to justify my losses.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

darealkooky posted:

So, Elizabeth, why is she bottom tier? Is she reverse Phoenix where her options just dont make up for her health, or is everyone else just even dumber? Like, I'm still gonna sub her because she looks really fun to play, but I wanna know what excuse to use to justify my losses.

Yeah more or less. She's a "glass cannon" and her defensive options are loving terrible, and her offensive options aren't good enough to make up for it.

Look at it this way, Aigis has better HP, better mixups, better defensive options, better reversals, better mobility, and she has better average damage output.

But even still, Elizabeth has some decent stuff and can still hold up pretty well. Some of her advanced stuff is scary as hell, and she can actually take a decent amount of damage if you play smart with your Bursts, Concentrates, and Diaramas.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Aigis definitely becomes the main "heroine" in P3 in that she's widely popular and takes center stage in the plot near the end, but I think that Yukari is definitely her equal in development. Especially when it comes to The Answer, where she goes through a real transformation as the course of the story goes through. Her actions are incredibly believable and reminiscent of the stages of grief, and so she's definitely my favorite part of the Answer. Not counting that, her evolution as a character in the core game is also something I really enjoy. So yeah, Yukari is my biggest hope at this point.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah more or less. She's a "glass cannon" and her defensive options are loving terrible, and her offensive options aren't good enough to make up for it.

I see, that sucks. When I see her do a 50% combo from fullscreen into a grab reset into another 50% combo from fullscreen against a character like chie who apparently has megadumb pressure I guess I just found it hard to believe.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Baofu's persona is Wind based and also uses a ranged weapon so it should be him.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yukari is almost as bad as Aigis and she's already in it so no thank you please add Baofu or Shinji somehow thanks

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

darealkooky posted:

I see, that sucks. When I see her do a 50% combo from fullscreen into a grab reset into another 50% combo from fullscreen against a character like chie who apparently has megadumb pressure I guess I just found it hard to believe.

Well, don't counter her out obviously. Being low tier in this game isn't really that big of a deal.

And yeah she can be really scary if she lands a big combo into a Fear based reset. That's usually 100% on most characters.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Being low tier in this game isn't really that big of a deal.
Relinking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWNRWwZDZ0c

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, Elizabeth and Kanji are considered to be the low tier of the game, but that's just a given, considering their design philo-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDfEMvRueAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VooKojs7DDk

:catstare:

(I'm totally looking forward to playing both of them, character placement be damned.)

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You do realize that a lot of players are saying that tier placement is similar to Guilty Gear AC in that every one of the low tier characters is still quite strong with several good tools right?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

You do realize that a lot of players are saying that tier placement is similar to Guilty Gear AC in that every one of the low tier characters is still quite strong with several good tools right?

:thejoke:

Really, though, ASW has done a drat good job with this game. These next two weeks are going to be harsh ones indeed.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 23, 2012

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

S-Alpha posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VooKojs7DDk

:catstare:

(I'm totally looking forward to playing both of them, character placement be damned.)

FYI This video is a tournament with a skill cap. So pretty much no one who's actually great at the game is playing. They're not terrible either, but it's a bad way to disprove a tier list.

Grapplers are notoriously good at low to mid level play...

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Waterbed posted:

FYI This video is a tournament with a skill cap. So pretty much no one who's actually great at the game is playing. They're not terrible either, but it's a bad way to disprove a tier list.

Grapplers are notoriously good at low to mid level play...

I didn't know it was a low level tourney, by virtue of not knowing the language. But it's still an impressive showing nonetheless. And I'm not trying to 'disprove' a tier list, but it's always fun to watch when low tier characters put on a good show. Chill.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hopefully Atlus will have a bunch of setups for this at Otakon this year. I'm kind of expecting that they will, but I don't think they've announced anything yet like they did for Evo. Otherwise we'll have to cram onto the slim few Japanese setups people manage to bring for it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Crossposting from the Megaten thread:

Okay, this is one awesome homage:

The original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-TfJ9c-m1E

Seems like ArcSys has some big Megaten fans.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

If you want anymore wallpapers about Persona 4 Arena, the official website has a game you can play to get them here.

Here's an example, the other wallpapers are online too and it's not hard for me to just edit this post with 'em all I guess:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bunch of new screenshots from Story/Challenge/Network/Lesson modes: http://worthplaying.com/article/2012/7/23/news/86627/

Looks like there's a good 30ish combo challenges for every character, that'll be fun. :I

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Bunch of new screenshots from Story/Challenge/Network/Lesson modes: http://worthplaying.com/article/2012/7/23/news/86627/

Looks like there's a good 30ish combo challenges for every character, that'll be fun. :I

The title options look pretty great.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Wait, is that title a Chief Wiggum reference? :psyduck:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm guessing how it it works is that you just unlock a bunch of word bits and can put 3 of them together to make your title.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

That's actually really cool. I bet there will be some hiimdaisy references snuck in.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

Crossposting from the Megaten thread:

Okay, this is one awesome homage:

The original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-TfJ9c-m1E

Seems like ArcSys has some big Megaten fans.

*casually expects everyone to be able to read Hiragana*

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PunkBoy posted:

That's actually really cool. I bet there will be some hiimdaisy references snuck in.

"I HAVE TO PEE"

"WOO TV WORLD!"

Personally, I want I'm going Bear-Zerk.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

demons. posted:

*casually expects everyone to be able to read Hiragana*

The original SMT has an urban legend/Easter egg where the game has an extremely small chance on boot to show a screen with the words "TURN IT OFF" repeated instead of the game. That's the video he posted.

The screenshot of P4A has the same message. Who knows when you see it! :haw:

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

Ryanbomber posted:

I'm also curious about what they will change it to for the western release. Having some random moon runes will probably make most people think they didn't translate it correctly.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

Ryanbomber posted:

The original SMT has an urban legend/Easter egg where the game has an extremely small chance on boot to show a screen with the words "TURN IT OFF" repeated instead of the game. That's the video he posted.

Oh, that's sick.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Colonel Campbell: Seriously though, you really have been playing the game a long time. Don't you have anything else to do with your time?

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

The move list videos for Teddie, Elizabeth, Labrys and S[-Tier] Labrys are up.

Tangentially related - what's the taunt command in the game? Is there a "taunt" button like in BlazBlue or is it some button combo that I haven't seen?

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

Antillese posted:

The move list videos for Teddie, Elizabeth, Labrys and S[-Tier] Labrys are up.

Tangentially related - what's the taunt command in the game? Is there a "taunt" button like in BlazBlue or is it some button combo that I haven't seen?

Labrys looks awesome and her music is really nice. Add another character I'll want to learn, along with half the entire cast. I haven't seen or read anything about dedicated taunts existing but hopefully someone who has actually played the console version can correct me.

They also just added a short behind the scenes recording session that just shows Yosuke's voice actor being...Yosuke.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

As far as I know, taunts are Passive, meaning they activate if you just stand or crouch and do nothing for a little bit. There is no mappable taunt button for certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Atlus has hosed gamers for the last time I'm gonna start a boycot!!

• Locked thread