Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only thing I'm upset about today is being cheated out of stories of how awesome Coyote is. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Saoshyant posted:

Going on a rant here for a moment, but Coyote breaking the fourth wall is something that does not work and I hope we'll never see again. It took me away from the story immediately. Coyote can take the mooon out of the sky, create a whole race of people, make a sword out of a tooth, or split into bits and untangle himself in impossible ways. That's great, that's what we love about him. But he is part of a story, and breaking the fourth wall to remind me that I am indeed reading a story is not something I wanted to see. It's not clever and is passé as hell now that everyone and their dog already did it.

And even if he was being "so meta" that he was merely pretending to break the fourth wall, it still breaks the flow. Sorry for being picky like this, but this really annoyed me. It broke the flow. Do not break the flow -- it feels like a posh orchestra being interrupted by a bunch of hooligans with vuvuzelas. And I have a headache now.
Relax.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz_NvNLbeE0

SynthOrange posted:

The only thing I'm upset about today is being cheated out of stories of how awesome Coyote is. :(
You could always make up your own, you know. It's not like there's a lack of precedent.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

SynthOrange posted:

idonotlikepeas posted:

I am seriously looking forward to seeing the way Tom illustrates a series of stories about Coyote. I can't wait for this.

Awwww.

Why do I feel like Coyote just tricked me, too?

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

It's not clever and is passé as hell now that everyone and their dog already did it.

Just because you feel other authors have abused the technique of breaking the 4th wall in their writing doesn't mean that Tom should avoid it. It can still be done right--for example if done by a character who is well-established as taking liberties with reality within the story. It provides an opportunity to add characterization (we now get Coyote speaking instead of a detached "A while later..."), it reinforces the idea that Coyote is operating on a different level from Annie and everyone else, and we get a little joke peppered in as we come back and re-establish the scene.

Reformed Pissboy fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 25, 2012

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I thought that was some awesome 4th wall breaking. I laughed :)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"And then, Coyote told the Fire Head Girl his terrible secret. She was amazed. What did he tell her? We will never find out."

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

He loves humans cuz they're so fun to pull one over on.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I thought it was funny and ok for a thing like Coyote to do, but it might have been better overall if it turned out that the "camera" he was facing was actually a bug or something. Which would be a bit of a rip-off of that Simpson's joke now that I'm reminded of it, but the Simpsons have done every joke so that's ok.

I think it's alright because he's not necessarily actually addressing the reader, even though he's facing us. It's the sort of thing he would just say out loud anyway. Keep in mind that he actually did say all of that out loud, so it's not like a real narrative box.

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan

Saoshyant posted:

Going on a rant here for a moment, but Coyote breaking the fourth wall is something that does not work and I hope we'll never see again. It took me away from the story immediately. Coyote can take the mooon out of the sky, create a whole race of people, make a sword out of a tooth, or split into bits and untangle himself in impossible ways. That's great, that's what we love about him. But he is part of a story, and breaking the fourth wall to remind me that I am indeed reading a story is not something I wanted to see. It's not clever and is passé as hell now that everyone and their dog already did it.

And even if he was being "so meta" that he was merely pretending to break the fourth wall, it still breaks the flow. Sorry for being picky like this, but this really annoyed me. It broke the flow. Do not break the flow -- it feels like a posh orchestra being interrupted by a bunch of hooligans with vuvuzelas. And I have a headache now.

I was also somewhat displeased with this one. Although it works, I don't think it was a great idea. I also intensely dislike the rather overwrought cliffhanger. Although I understand he may be doing this to devote an entire page to the great secret, now that I think about it.This one just feels like stalling, however. It seems that Slidell could do, and has done, a better job in the past.

I agree Tea is different, as she is just a way to explain what is going on, as opposed to a dull text statement.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
Augh we're only supposed to have cliffhangers on Friday, this is unfair!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it's weird to call it a cliffhanger when it only exists as one for two days.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Regy Rusty posted:

I think it's weird to call it a cliffhanger when it only exists as one for two days.

It's more of a ledge, like jumping off your kitchen counter.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

KSAF Staff Report posted:

I also intensely dislike the rather overwrought cliffhanger. Although I understand he may be doing this to devote an entire page to the great secret, now that I think about it.This one just feels like stalling, however.

No, this is ok, and it works fine, especially on paper if it's on an odd-numbered numbered page, meaning you have to turn the page right after the "cliffhanger".

I don't think we'd have a cliffhanger for the sake of a cliffhanger on something that once it's been archived is only a click away.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Saoshyant posted:

Look at it this way: he just spent a whole day listening to Annie tell stories about him in, presumably, the third person. He's just responding in kind. There doesn't have to be any fourth wall breakage, he's just being a goofballs like always (in a way that serves a handy narrative purpose!)

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Coyote just isn't professional. He's always looking at the camera and laughing when he shouldn't be. Not like that consummate master City Face.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
I was actually hoping he's spend a few pages telling Annie's story of Coyote, this jump seems kinda abrupt.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Goddamn it Tom.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Coyote absolutely loves having an audience, so breaking the fourth wall is pretty much in character for him.

I did want to hear the story though :(

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
It's not the first time he's spoken to us.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Coyote's had so many stories told about him he just always assumes he's in one right now.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Do people in this thread just not know what the word "cliffhanger" means? "Waiting to see the next comic" is not a cliffhanger.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, seriously, this has nothing to do with Sylvester Stallone.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Quiet you.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
It's kind of a frustrating end of the page, but it's a good setup for the change to a Coyote-style page.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, seriously, this has nothing to do with Sylvester Stallone.

Or Sylvester McCoy.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's also important to remember that cliffhangers (even though a 2-day delay doesn't really qualify as one) aren't even an inherently bad thing. They're a useful way too keep the audience's attention and make them think about the series, especially if they get some closure of another arc along with it.
Nice example of a well done cliffhanger right here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1002

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Coyote's "4th wall breaking" can just as easily be him narrating things going on to no one because he is silly like that! Stop being so rigid, y'all.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah, I didn't read his "breaking" any differently than I did this:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=504

And if THIS is wrong, then being right is bad :saddowns:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Zorak posted:

Coyote's "4th wall breaking" can just as easily be him narrating things going on to no one because he is silly like that! Stop being so rigid, y'all.

Yeah ok I can read it like that if I want, but what matters is what you get when you initially read it, not when you think it over, and when I read it it felt clunky. Like someone else said it would have been better if Coyote was shown to be addressing an imaginary audience/a beetle or something rather than the reader.

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan

Waffnuffly posted:

Yeah, I didn't read his "breaking" any differently than I did this:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=504

And if THIS is wrong, then being right is bad :saddowns:

Did anyone make an avatar with the antelope at all?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Eh, I just saw it as him breaking out into an announcer voice and being overly dramatic for the hell of it. Hell, I do it all the time with my friends.

Smooglii
Feb 22, 2011

Battle stations!
I'm not bothered too much by it, but I think it could have worked better without panel 2. The first panel by itself could be taken as just a narration; he may or may not have actually said it in front of Antimony, and if he did, it wouldn't be out of character at all. With a punchline, it's a little bit cheaper and it stands out more.

Although I think that and the final panel are probably just filler for the sake of allowing the next page to be a "storytelling" page.

Also, check out the thumbnail for this chapter:

Something to do with the seed, maybe?

(By "thumbnail" I obviously mean the actual nail of that thumb because dang that's more menacing than they were when they were huge)

Smooglii fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 26, 2012

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Annie will turn around and say "I don't want to know, whatever, I'm heading back to school" or something that will cause us all to rage.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

:catstare:

Hang on, let me just read that again, maybe I-

Nope, still :catstare:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Uh. Well. :catstare:

That is some well-kept secret, I must admit.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Huh.

I can see why you might want to keep that a secret.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Hmm. :catstare:

I wonder if this is going to be clarified.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Clearly more fourth-wall breaking.

Coyote is getting meta.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't understand anything any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

This doesn't answer anything at all. In fact, it raises more questions!