Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Wolfsheim, you might want to spoiler that for folks just getting started on the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Miranda July's recent film The Future was just added. I caught this at the Seattle film festival last year and it was... odd. Definitely not a flick for everyone, but if you liked arty stuff like Rubber it might be worth a watch.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wolfsheim posted:

I think it's because Walt, while being a shady cancer-having prick, never cheated, never strayed, and (as we know) did it all for his family. When she finds out something's up with him she proceeds to revenge-gently caress the douchiest guy in the world.

EDIT: Sorry :ohdear:

loving Ted was not the best thing she could have done, but there is justification for her actions. Their marriage was already falling apart, and I think by that point she knew Walt was cooking meth. Even early in the series, he's acting weird and avoiding her, and she thinks he has a marijuana habit so she completely has the right to be upset with Walt.

In closing,

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Wolfsheim posted:

I think it's because Walt, while being a shady cancer-having prick, never cheated, never strayed, and (as we know) did it all for his family. When she finds out something's up with him she proceeds to revenge-gently caress the douchiest guy in the world.

Walt murders people and puts their family in danger by involving them with multiple dangerous criminal organizations.

Skylar sleeps with a stable-seeming dude who's into her when her husband emotionally abandons her and turns her life upside down.

What a whore

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

But Walt isn't doing it all for his family, he had the opportunity to have all of his cancer treatments paid for but didn't take it because he was too proud. Ostensibly, he's doing it for his family, but really he'd rather put his family in danger and do all sorts of horrible poo poo just so he doesn't have to accept charity.

And yeah, Skylar is a good character. I really don't understand the people who watch the show and somehow come out hating Skylar and loving Walt.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 25, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I mean, I understand why people don't like Skylar, the story is ostensibly about Tony, not Manny or Elvira.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I mean, I understand why people don't like Skylar, the story is ostensibly about Tony, not Manny or Elvira.

Misogynistic Goon Hivemind

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I understand it, but it's stupid! It's like taking the comedy out of the show. Without Skylar, it doesn't really work.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

It's probably been up for awhile, but Highlander: The Series is a pretty underrated sci-fi/fantasy gem. I really have no taste for the movies, but Adrian Paul is a solid lead and the show did an admirable job delving into the mythology of the premise. It doesn't start well and doesn't end well, but there's a nice stretch where you can't quite believe a syndicated television series got this good.

I'm currently re-watching this, having been a huge fan of it when it was on. My recommendation is, if you're familiar with the concept of the series via the movies, start watching with Season 2. MAYBE the finale of Season 1. I think the show doesn't really pick up steam until the Watchers are introduced, and then after about the 4th episode of Season 2 it gets a whole lot better.

There are a few good episodes in the 1st season (the introduction of Xavier), but overall they're pretty poorly acted.

That said, I highly recommend the "Mountain Men" episode if you want to see Marc Singer's absolute WORST acting ever...to the point where I think it may be a parody episode.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

And yeah, Skylar is a good character. I really don't understand the people who watch the show and somehow come out hating Skylar and loving Walt.
I feel like people have become so accustomed to rooting for the main character and love the idea of a badass thanks to years of this stuff that it doesn't seem to matter how they are portrayed.

Similar to this discussion, I've shockingly come across a lot of people online who completely empathized with Vic Mackey's character on The Shield from beginning to end and interpreted the rest of the police force as being stuck-up babies who couldn't stand the heat of getting the job done right and should have left him alone.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

kuddles posted:

Similar to this discussion, I've shockingly come across a lot of people online who completely empathized with Vic Mackey's character on The Shield from beginning to end and interpreted the rest of the police force as being stuck-up babies who couldn't stand the heat of getting the job done right and should have left him alone.

Thanks for reminding me that I have another show to start and finish at some point.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Since we're on the subject, I just binged through the first 6 episodes of season 3 (Sunset) Walter met his new cooking assistant (speculation: unknowingly training his replacement?!) and the RV got crushed.. The show's really picking up and I'm loving every minute.

I think the reason why people see Skylar as a bitch is because of a difference in motivations.

Walt got into what he's doing to because he was at the end of the rope with no chance to live for more than a few more months. He knew he would be leaving his family with huge medical bills and no financial support. His motivation was his family. (Brings to mind John Q.)

Skylar is revenge loving her boss as revenge to her husband to piss him off. Her motivation was revenge.

How anybody can even take the other side of that is beyond me. Killed someone to defend your family? No problem. Stole money to keep your family from going bankrupt? Fine. Cheated on your spouse because you were angry? Oh hell no.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They make it very clear that Walt's motivation goes beyond providing for his family. That's just an excuse for his actions.

Skylar hosed Ted to get "revenge" on Walt. Walt fucks everyone to get revenge on the world.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 25, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

morestuff posted:

They make it very clear that Walt's motivation goes beyond providing for his family. That's just an excuse for his actions.

Skylar hosed Ted to get "revenge" on Walt. Walt fucks everyone to get revenge on the world.

True and he had chances to get out, but it really was his initial motivation.

Also gently caress our society and all that. God Bless America.

edit: When Walt showed Skylar the bag of money and admitted everything, what they should've done was talked over everything, taken the $400k, said let's get over this hump and we're all good now. I'm sorry. I forgive you. Let's move on. But that doesn't make good tv.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Check your spoilers guys, come on.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

True and he had chances to get out, but it really was his initial motivation.

Also gently caress our society and all that. God Bless America.

In the first episode, Jesse asks Walt why he wants to cook. His answer is “I am awake.”

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Check your spoilers guys, come on.

That's my bad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, don't be unfair to people who haven't seen the show yet. Anyway, the moment I think shows best what kind of guy Walt is is when he breaks open the case with the first dollar Bogdan made at the car wash and uses it in a vending machine to buy a soda out of spite.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Hey everyone pretty sure we have a Breaking Bad thread in the forum where they talk about TV shows.

Good poo poo expiring soon on Netflix:

Ip Man, the best mix of martial arts and manipulative nationalistic Chinese propaganda since Hero. Expires July 26.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, in which Robert Redford and Paul Newman are outlaws and everything is beautiful and sad and funny. Expires August 1.

Death Race 2000, the cult classic about WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU THINK "DEATH RACE" IS ABOUT?! Expires August 1.

Dog Day Afternoon. Frank Pierson, the screenwriter for this, just died, so celebrate by watching an amazing Pacino performance and stupendously tense Sidney Lumet feature come together. Expires August 1.

Downfall. Instead of making a "Hitler is angry about this video expiring on August 1" video I'll just let you imagine I've done this. Expires August 1.

The Evil Dead. Sam Raimi from back when his movies weren't dumb. Expires August 1.

All of the Ghost in the Shell poo poo expires August 1 but they're probably dubbed and not worth watching because of that. I dunno.

Mississippi Burning has Gene Hackman and Willem Defoe. Expires August 1.

I Clowns is a Fellini film I haven't seen. Expires August SECOND. Hah, motherfucker, thought I was going to say August 1, didn't you? Admit it.

Hoop Dreams is a documentary I have had on my "watch this" list for a million years but it's long. Expires August 2 so get on that poo poo.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

Miranda July's recent film The Future was just added. I caught this at the Seattle film festival last year and it was... odd. Definitely not a flick for everyone, but if you liked arty stuff like Rubber it might be worth a watch.

IMO The Future is skippable, just go back and rewatch Me and You and Everyone We Know again.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Is Rescue Me any good? It looks interesting and I like Dennis Leary as an actor instead of as a comedian.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Finally finished my 24 binge. Think it took 2 weeks? I definitely widened the parameters and opened a socket and set up a perimeter on my bandwidth.

I must've originally stopped watching somewhere in the 6th season, as I didn't remember the ending to it. I guess I caught a few of season 7 as some of those looked familiar, but most of it and all of season 8 was new to me. I didn't like the start of season 8, but the last couple episodes were pretty kickass. Favorite moment was Charles Logan pretty much making GBS threads his pants when a blacked out bulletproof Jack was coming up to his car.

I've done nothing but pretty watch 24 for the past few weeks after work, the sun feels so weird...

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Instead of TV shows that I'm afraid of having spoiled for me and that everyone talks about anyway, let's talk about Dogtooth, which I watched last night and loved every minute of, which suggests that I'm mentally unwell.

Also thank you to everyone for the Australian movie recommendations. I found the Australian film selection pretty underwhelming. Is it neglect on Netflix's part or is the Australian film industry just not quite up to snuff?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Chunky Delight posted:

Is Rescue Me any good? It looks interesting and I like Dennis Leary as an actor instead of as a comedian.

I think the general consensus is that it started out pretty good and diminishing returns set in somewhere after the 3rd season. I'm currently rewatching and enjoying it (I'm at mid season 3 currently.)

If you're looking for a little more detail, there's currently some chatter about it over in the TVIV.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chunky Delight posted:

I agree with the other poster. First 3 seasons were incredibly solid, but the show went downhill from there.

Although, even going downhill, it had some genuinely great episodes in later seasons. Just a bit ridiculous with the plotlines.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

X-Ray Pecs posted:

but there is justification for her [Skylar's] actions.

Can you explain this in detail?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Martin Van Buren posted:

Instead of TV shows that I'm afraid of having spoiled for me and that everyone talks about anyway, let's talk about Dogtooth, which I watched last night and loved every minute of, which suggests that I'm mentally unwell.

Also thank you to everyone for the Australian movie recommendations. I found the Australian film selection pretty underwhelming. Is it neglect on Netflix's part or is the Australian film industry just not quite up to snuff?

I absolutely loved Dogtooth. That final scene with the girl reenacting the scene from Flash dance is both hysterical and haunting.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Martin Van Buren posted:

Dogtooth is amazing. Probably my favorite film.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Chunky Delight posted:

Season 3, Ep 1 is the pinnacle of television.

The show itself is hard to nail down because it's an excellent, hilarious comedy. The drama is hit or miss, but there's moments where it pulls the heart strings better than any show has ever done " Goodbye, Jerry."

Where it completely falls short is that it's way too ambitious for its budget, so the action scenes are almost laughably bad sometimes.

But if you want a funny show with decent drama (much like House or Shameless), it's fantastic and one of the few shows I'll rewatch regularly.

Also, much like Seinfeld or The Sopranos, just tough it out in the early episodes. It only gets better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Have I pimped Flashpoint yet? The first 4 seasons are all up.

quote:

Flashpoint is a Canadian police drama television series that debuted on July 11, 2008 on CTV in Canada. In the United States, the series currently airs on Ion television. The series has been broadcast on the Canadian French-language network V in Quebec since March 9, 2009.[1] The series was created by Mark Ellis and Stephanie Morgenstern and stars Hugh Dillon, Amy Jo Johnson, David Paetkau and Enrico Colantoni. It was announced January 25, 2011 that Ion Television had acquired all rights to the show held by CBS including the option to continue production.

The fourth season of Flashpoint has concluded, and a fifth season has been ordered.[2] On May 1, 2012 the producers announced that the fifth season would be the last of the series.[3]

This is a great show.

quote:

The show focuses on a fictional elite tactical unit, the Strategic Response Unit (SRU), within a Canadian metropolitan police force (styled on the Toronto Police Emergency Task Force[4]). The SRU are tasked to resolve extreme situations that regular officers are not trained to handle including hostage-taking, bomb threats and heavily armed criminals. Although the team is seldom seen doing so, they often discuss their 'day job' of serving high-risk arrest warrants. Equipped with high-tech tools and a cache of weapons and explosives, members use negotiation tactics and intuition to try to avoid the use of deadly force, only implemented when other options are exhausted.

A really great show starring Keith Mars and the Pink Power Ranger. Give this show a few episodes, it's really good stuff. It's mostly episodic with a few extended plot points.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never seen Apocalypse Now, which version should I watch first considering both are on Netflix?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Abu Dave posted:

I've never seen Apocalypse Now, which version should I watch first considering both are on Netflix?

Original.

The "redux" is slower paced (and boring) and only worthwhile once you're a hardcore fan.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Unzip and Attack posted:

Can you explain this in detail?

Her husband was frequently gone for long periods of time with no explanation, she had just discovered he repeatedly lied to her (including about a second cell phone), and in her mind they were separated. She tried to throw him out, and he literally broke into the house.

Ted was a friendly guy, who actually seemed to give a poo poo about her. In a time where her husband was being awful towards her. Saying she was motivated by revenge is a really, really dumb interpretation of the show.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Abu Dave posted:

I would go with the original version first. I watched Redux a few weeks ago and I didn't really think the extra scenes added all that much. If you like the movie, it might be worth watching Redux eventually, but I don't think I'd start with it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks guys. :)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Abu Dave posted:

Thanks guys. :)

Post your thoughts after you watch it! I love reading people's first impressions of Apocalypse Now.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Season 3, Ep 1 is the pinnacle of television.

The show itself is hard to nail down because it's an excellent, hilarious comedy. The drama is hit or miss, but there's moments where it pulls the heart strings better than any show has ever done " Goodbye, Jerry."

Where it completely falls short is that it's way too ambitious for its budget, so the action scenes are almost laughably bad sometimes.

But if you want a funny show with decent drama (much like House or Shameless), it's fantastic and one of the few shows I'll rewatch regularly.

Also, much like Seinfeld or The Sopranos, just tough it out in the early episodes. It only gets better.

Seconding this. After the third/fourth season, the show starts trying too hard, and just delves into ridiculousness. I thought every character but Leary was either way over- or under- acted. They have too many plotlines going at once, and each one eventually goes off the rails as the characters make completely nonsensical decisions.

It takes about a minute into a scene to figure out if it's worth watching or skippable. I ended up skipping most scenes not involving Leary, and everything with Leary's extended family (we're a merry band of wacky alcoholics!). If you do that, it's passable after season 4. And each episode is now 10 minutes long :v:

It's a really frustrating show, because it's Really good in some episodes, and downright awful in others.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Post your thoughts after you watch it! I love reading people's first impressions of Apocalypse Now.

My first time watching it was Redux and I thought it was incredible. The added scenes (I don't know which are added and which are in the regular cut) may drag for some, but I feel like they really add a lot to the hopeless slog that the characters are going through.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

SRM posted:

My first time watching it was Redux and I thought it was incredible. The added scenes (I don't know which are added and which are in the regular cut) may drag for some, but I feel like they really add a lot to the hopeless slog that the characters are going through.

I think they do the opposite - they show too many signs of civilization when they're far up the river.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

penismightier posted:

I think they do the opposite - they show too many signs of civilization when they're far up the river.

This. Instead of a slow trek into desolation and loneliness and fear, it's a hop skip and a jump from one odd scene to another, and destroys one of the few movies that you can call tightly paced at 3+ hours.

The added scenes are good, but they destroy the whole flow, and the editing of the theatrical cut is really an unrivaled masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I saw this for the first time a few weeks ago. I was not a fan of it at all.
I wasn't having a hard time understanding the movie, just understanding what it wanted to be. At some points it tried to be really serious and evocative then it shatters it the next moment with ridiculousness. So its ends up as a very spotty comedy.
Maybe its just that its varying aspects reached a meme status by now for films and television but when Ride of the Valkyries started to play and the characters had to yell over it to continue their chat about surfing It just seemed like a silly joke.
The movie is from start to finish, people making really bad choices and then dieing.

It probably didn't help that I had previously seen the documentary Machete Maidens Unleashed! before watching this. It talks about some of the gross or shady parts of its filming which I imagine would suck some of the magic out of it.

• Locked thread