Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

OneEightHundred posted:

You do know that most of the jokes told on late-night comedy shows aren't written by the person telling them, right?

I'm absolutely aware but it doesn't make it any less lovely. Take Jimmy Fallon breaking character and laughing during a sketch for instance.

It's usually funny when Colbert does it- because he maintains a fascade for so long that breaking character is a rare moment of tension-snapping that usually indicates a truly ridiculous story. I just don't enjoy comedians who routinely do this or cannot resist laughing while telling a joke or story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Poizen Jam posted:

I've actually not seen Gretchen Carlson. I was mostly referring to Shep Smith and the occasional times O'Reilly actually acts like a decent person. Or when Colmes actually had a backbone once in a blue moon for a fleeting moment.

Yeah, based on some of the decent things Bill O has said and done, I've been forced to admit that the man does have a conscience, despite being a windbag and a blowhard.

Mainly, I think it would be helpful if someone could impress upon him that Youtube is a thing that exists, and that it is often used to create nifty little videos of Bill O'Reilly contradicting himself, or stating stuff that is flat-out factually incorrect.

A while ago, the blogger Fred Clark noted that a lot of these old-time conservatives seem to be oblivious to the Internet, and to the fact that, when they make up a statistic or a "fact," people can saunter down to Google and fact-check that puppy in under five seconds. I think Bill O'Reilly's part of that sad little club.

I have no idea who Shep Smith is, so I'll have to look him up.

I have seen some fascinating body language from Gretchen Carlson, though. I wonder how many times a day her colleagues make her wince or twitch, and how aware of it she is.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tartarus Sauce posted:

I have no idea who Shep Smith is, so I'll have to look him up.

Shep Smith is the best (only good) thing about Fox News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkMqvy-D5hM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuF03PTNpp8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=graRYFhM2U0

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Mainly, I think it would be helpful if someone could impress upon him that Youtube is a thing that exists, and that it is often used to create nifty little videos of Bill O'Reilly contradicting himself, or stating stuff that is flat-out factually incorrect.

Like this, for example.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

:stare: How is he employed there? Did you hear the "its a states rights issue for now which may sound familiar to a couple of generations ago" at the end of the last video?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

jojoinnit posted:

:stare: How is he employed there? Did you hear the "its a states rights issue for now which may sound familiar to a couple of generations ago" at the end of the last video?

He was the first news host at the network -- he predates their switch to full-on right-wing lunacy. And his evening news program is (I believe) the highest-rated thing on the network.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Eh, Andy Levy also gets a pass too, if only because he didn't corpse during this piece of genius:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOjUKwoHUyw

quote:

I want to talk about something that happened on Tuesday night. About 8 o'clock here on the east coast R&B singer Chris Brown tweeted, "No more planking for me unless it's on a sexy lady. Lol." So I saw this tweet and I retweeted it adding, "You spelled "punching" wrong." Obviously in reference to that fact that Brown was arrested in 2009 for assaulting his then girlfriend Rihanna.

But now in the light of day, I'd like to apologize to Chris Brown and to his fans that are known as "Team Breezy." To Mr. Brown, I apologize for referencing the fact that you beat the crap out of Rihanna. It was disrespectful of me to draw attention to the fact that you put your girlfriend in the hospital. And further, it was not my place to make people remember that you beat a woman with your fists, leaving her with multiple facial contusions, a bloody nose, and a split lip. I know that now.

I also appreciate the fact that you tweeted me, letting me know that children conduct themselves better than I do. You are correct, and I could only hope to one day mature to the point where I can conduct myself in a more adult manner. Possibly by throwing a chair out of a window and storming out of a building with my shirt off. I ask only for your patience.

To Team Breezy, I would also like to say that I'm sorry. Thank you for your thousands of tweets which taught me a lot about the creative possibilities of spelling, grammar, and syntax. Possibilities I couldn't even imagine before last night. In particular I'd like to thank the female members of Team Breezy, who have taught me that as long as you can sing, you can beat the living hell out of a woman and other women will still love you.

And lastly, I apologize to everyone for using Twitter to subtly address the fact that I think it's disgusting that a guy who put his girlfriend can, a mere two years later, be warmly welcomed back into society and appear on shows such as Saturday Night Live, as if everything he did magically never happened. It won't happen again.

Really, Greg, the only thing Chris Brown is guilty of? A felony.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

prefect posted:

He was the first news host at the network -- he predates their switch to full-on right-wing lunacy. And his evening news program is (I believe) the highest-rated thing on the network.

Bingo.

He's also the highest paid guy on the entire network, which is why he can get away with openly making fun of and criticizing his stupid and insane fellow Fox News employees.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

prefect posted:

If CNN (LOL, they don't care about news anymore) or MSNBC (please do this to get Ed Schultz off my TV) ever poaches Shep Smith, Fox News will plummet down the abyss of insanity so quickly that Bill O'Reilly will be the first one jettisoned as being too moderate.

Edit to add: I would totally watch or at least DVR a three-hour block of Shep Smith, Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

If CNN (LOL, they don't care about news anymore) or MSNBC (please do this to get Ed Schultz off my TV) ever poaches Shep Smith, Fox News will plummet down the abyss of insanity so quickly that Bill O'Reilly will be the first one jettisoned as being too moderate.

Edit to add: I would totally watch or at least DVR a three-hour block of Shep Smith, Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell.

Seconding getting rid of Ed Schultz.

He such a terrible, embarrassing piece of poo poo that I'm surprised he got hired in the first place. I mean, did the executive at MSNBC even meet him before he got hired for his own show? I can barely stand watching the 5 second clips of him that occasionally get shown on the Daily Show or Colbert, so I can imagine just how awful it would be to actually meet him in person.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Olympic Game Coverage with special columns tracking the performance of countries that have legalized same-sex marriage and "increasingly atheistic" countries is now available. Other probing political issues such as determining whether or not Title IX has destroyed the US Olympic team and will Christian Kevin Durant overcome ball-hogging and overrated stars like LeBron James and Kobe Bryant to help the US Men's Basketball team win gold? Also, who will win the Men's Handball group A? Can the Tunisian Men's Handball team take on the role of underdogs and defeat Sweden, Iceland, Argentina (3 countries where same-sex marriage is illegal legal), Great Britain and France (2 countries were atheism is on the rise)?

Tune in for updates to these hot questions with absolutely no agenda behind them!

Siroc fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 3, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
The best thing to do to enrage that page would be to add the United States to the list of countries that have legalized same-sex marriage. Then when they complain about it only being legalized in some states, start a tally of states that have legalized same-sex marriage and watch Michael Phelps rack up a bunch for Maryland.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Michael Phelps: Pot-smoking hippie liberal :smug:

Production
Jun 11, 2001
Ed is out indefinitely, his wife developed ovarian cancer.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
How many athletes will be unfairly expelled based on liberal censorship of their free speech?

One athlete -- Greek triple-jumper Voula Papachristou -- was expelled from the Olympics before it officially opened based on a one-sentence joke about immigration, even though she apologized.

Here's the "joke about immigration":

"With so many Africans in Greece, the West Nile mosquitoes will be getting home food!!!"

OH MY STARS, SO FUNNY

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Loving Life Partner posted:

How many athletes will be unfairly expelled based on liberal censorship of their free speech?

One athlete -- Greek triple-jumper Voula Papachristou -- was expelled from the Olympics before it officially opened based on a one-sentence joke about immigration, even though she apologized.

Here's the "joke about immigration":

"With so many Africans in Greece, the West Nile mosquitoes will be getting home food!!!"

OH MY STARS, SO FUNNY

She also supported the Golden Dawn party, an actual Neo-Nazi party with this as their flag.

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012
I wish conservapedia would understand what a footnote is for.

quote:

Underachievement by nations allowing same sex marriage will be particularly evident.[7]

So 7 must be a citation for where they get their prophecy. To the source!

quote:

↑ In the United States, 6 out of 50 states permit same-sex marriage (Washington, D.C. also permits same-sex marriage), and 8 additional states permit civil unions. Two states (including Washington, which had previously recognized civil unions) have declared same-sex marriage legal, but implementation is postponed until after voter referendums on the laws in November 2012. Additionally, in Mexico, same-sex marriage is legal in Mexico City, a federal district roughly equivalent to Washington, DC, as well as in the state of Quintana Roo.

Oh. I guess that's there to support the unwritten corollary "the US doesn't really allow SSM, unless we don't get all the medals we're expecting."

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm touching the poop for fun, but I added the details for the Greek athletes banning in a very neutral way. I wanna see if they remove it/why.

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012
Um. From the talk page for 2012 Summer Olympics, it's good to see a question that focuses on what the home-schooled kids need to know. 11. Are the nations of Japan increasingly atheistic or increasingly theistic and/or christian? :psyduck:

quote:

Are the nations of Japan increasingly atheistic or increasingly theistic and/or christian?

Gallup poll: Christianity growing in Japan: http://www.breakingchristiannews.com/articles/display_art.html?ID=2278

Pastor Lee in Korea, 2007 - BBC: ""Our church is still growing, so sooner or later Christianity will be the major religion in Korea. All Christians are praying for that right now."[15]

I hope conservapedia is no longer pitched as a homeschooling resource. Good luck, kids. :suicide:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
What exactly are the nations of Japan and where the hell did they get this factoid:

It is estimated that over $1 trillion has been siphoned off from health care worldwide for antiretroviral drugs to treat AIDS, despite growing evidence that a good general diet can be just as effective.

On the Shep Smith front: He usually just reports the straight news. I like that about him, really professional seeming guy.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Can't wait to see Andy's reaction to the NHS being celebrated in the opening ceremony.

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

What exactly are the nations of Japan and where the hell did they get this factoid:

It is estimated that over $1 trillion has been siphoned off from health care worldwide for antiretroviral drugs to treat AIDS, despite growing evidence that a good general diet can be just as effective.

I'm guesstimating they're Hawaii, Malaysia, Japan, and Antarctica. Also one of the Koreas. Not sure which one.

No AIDs cases were successfully treated by hospitalizing the patient, feeding them a good general diet, and then discharging them. It's like we're back to the script where only homeless gay people and drug addicts could possibly contract HIV. Not just kids who live with their parents, adults who weren't aware a partner cheated, and, well, anyone. Nope, just people who can't take care of themselves.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Augster posted:

Can't wait to see Andy's reaction to the NHS being celebrated in the opening ceremony.

I thought that was utterly hilarious, and probably intentional. Well, hopefully.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Rose Wreck posted:

quote:

I'm guesstimating they're Hawaii, Malaysia, Japan, and Antarctica. Also one of the Koreas. Not sure which one.

Wow, though this is probably just some misspoke idiocy, the idea is kind of fascinating. There are a couple ways to do it:

- Areas of Japan, not historically ethnically Yamato (dominant Japanese ethnic group). For modern Japan that would include the southern Ryuku Islands including Okinawa, and in the north the Ainu Moshiri, now known as "Hokkaido", homeland of a people with about zero ethnic ties to Japan. If you want to stretch a bit historically, this would include Korea, Taiwan, and possible Sakhalin Island and the Kurils.

- Members of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere. I'm less fond of this one, since many members were pretty short-lived during WWII.

- Nations of the Japanese diaspora? Per Wiki:

I'm simply fascinated. :allears:

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

That last one seems most likely, since it would explain why Korea was mentioned (and nail down which one.) It also explains why Shinto wasn't the first possibility if people of Japan were getting more religious, since more into Shinto =! more theistic.

Bonus! Can't wait to see what happens when Conservapedia realizes they've classified the US as a nation of Japan.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They have an article about both the Meiji Restoration and the Ainu people. I think they need an anti-unification bias. Not even sure if that's the conservative stance, but I think they should follow through with the Nations of Japan thing they've started.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

- Nations of the Japanese diaspora? Per Wiki:

I feel dumb and I must be missing something here. That adds up to far more than 2.6 million. The first two alone top 2.7.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

jojoinnit posted:

I feel dumb and I must be missing something here. That adds up to far more than 2.6 million. The first two alone top 2.7.

I'm guessing that was probably caused by people updating the by-country totals without paying attention to the overall total.

Edit: I'm kind of more interested in how huge the range is for The Philippines. 100k isn't really a lot with huge numbers, but when you say "Well, it's between 20 thousand, and six times that," it's kinda weird.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 29, 2012

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'm guessing that was probably caused by people updating the by-country totals without paying attention to the overall total.

Edit: I'm kind of more interested in how huge the range is for The Philippines. 100k isn't really a lot with huge numbers, but when you say "Well, it's between 20 thousand, and six times that," it's kinda weird.

The 120,000 appears to refer to Japanese-Filipino children, who are not officially recognized by Japan as being Japanese despite being fathered by Japanese men.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Siroc posted:

Olympic Game Coverage with special columns tracking the performance of countries that have legalized same-sex marriage and "increasingly atheistic" countries is now available. Other probing political issues such as determining whether or not Title IX has destroyed the US Olympic team and will Christian Kevin Durant overcome ball-hogging and overrated stars like LeBron James and Kobe Bryant to help the US Men's Basketball team win gold? Also, who will win the Men's Handball group A? Can the Tunisian Men's Handball team take on the role of underdogs and defeat Sweden, Iceland, Argentina (3 countries where same-sex marriage is illegal), Great Britain and France (2 countries were atheism is on the rise)?

Tune in for updates to these hot questions with absolutely no agenda behind them!

Australia underprerforming because of being atheistic?

Good grief, we usually loving steamroll the medal counts. :confused:

(although we're currently one gold under kazakstan lol)

e:

quote:

Australia failed to qualify for either soccer event. This was their first time attempting to qualify out of the Asian Zone instead of the significantly weaker Oceanic Zone, so this may have been a factor. They will, however, send teams in most other team sports, since they qualify from the Oceanic Zone in those.

Alternative explaination: We don't actually play soccer much here. Its very much a minority sport. gently caress all to do with atheism!

e2: Oh my god: http://conservapedia.com/Overrated_Sports_Stars

duck monster fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 30, 2012

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

duck monster posted:

Australia underprerforming because of being atheistic?

Good grief, we usually loving steamroll the medal counts. :confused:

(although we're currently one gold under kazakstan lol)

You'll be pleased to know that as of 2008, Australia leads the Table of Tables standings here.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Siroc posted:

Olympic Game Coverage Can the Tunisian Men's Handball team take on the role of underdogs and defeat Sweden, Iceland, Argentina (3 countries where same-sex marriage is illegal)!

Wait, what? I'm really hoping this is conservapeadia bullshit because I'm going to be so disappointed if not.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Wow, I never knew there were people who were against title 9 and all that it's done for female athletes. I guess if I ever think that there's something so obviously good it can't be framed in a bad way, just look to Conservapedia.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Baseball was dropped from the 2012 Olympics??? That's a disappointment! Is the sport considered too conservative?--Andy Schlafly 15:43, 2 July 2012 (EDT)

the Olympics talkpage is a goldmine for insane rablings of Andy and Conservative.
Hell the talkpage even includes a picture of Chuck Norris

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Conservative is such a closet case.

quote:

It is no coincidence that the fit and healthy Bible believing martial artist Chuck Norris lives in the state of Texas and not the city of San Francisco! Chuck Norris is no "Nancy boy" and he is the embodiment of mental toughness.

No way was that typed with both hands.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Ahahaha, I'm dying.

The best part is that the Conservapedia folks are pretty much the worst example of "mental toughness". Anyone with an iota of "mental toughness" would conduct themselves in a professorial manner and argue their points calmly and rationally (albeit with their special branch of rationality). People like the Schlaflys and most of the rest of the CP folks will go into hysterics and hilarious angry ad hominems at the drop of a pin.

And those pants are the ugliest loving thing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hemp Knight posted:

Wait, what? I'm really hoping this is conservapeadia bullshit because I'm going to be so disappointed if not.

It's bullshit. Sweden was the third country to introduce civil unions, and has had proper gay marriage since 2009.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Loving Life Partner posted:

I'm touching the poop for fun, but I added the details for the Greek athletes banning in a very neutral way. I wanna see if they remove it/why.

Havent checked the talk page for an explanation but they removed this bit that you added:

quote:

It should be noted that Papachristou has openly supported Greece's "Golden Dawn" party, a self-styled Neo-Nazi organization with heavy ties to racist policy.

Presumably so now it just looks like liberals got upset over one little Twitter joke.

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

Conservative posted:

It is no coincidence that the fit and healthy Bible believing martial artist Chuck Norris lives in the state of Texas and not the city of San Francisco! Chuck Norris is no "Nancy boy" and he is the embodiment of mental toughness.

So what Conservative is saying is that Chuck Norris is not tough enough to move to San Francisco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rose Wreck posted:

So what Conservative is saying is that Chuck Norris is not tough enough to move to San Francisco?

Walker told me I have AIDS

• Locked thread