Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Having a problem getting the game to run, can anyone help?

Whenever I start it, the NIGORO logo shows up, fades out, and then the game just remains black forever. Doesn't respond to any inputs and doesn't do anything, it is using 50% CPU though. Any idea what's wrong and how to fix it? I really want to play this :smith:

EDIT: Running as administrator fixed whatever the issue was. :p

Bisse fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Your computer was valiantly trying to save you from rage and frustration

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So I think the next thing I should be doing is killing Viy. I've found what I think is the boss room, and presumably the jewel and ankh trigger are in the area behind the other eye door I can see via yagostr.exe. So it looks like I should be trying to get to the corresponding eye door in the Temple of Ruin, but I don't see any way to get past the room with the teleport... Hints?

(Alternatively, there's a miniboss in the Gate of Illusions who's been kicking my arse - I've stopped his regeneration, but it's too hard to stun him and he does too much damage. Should I be going after him instead?)

e: Also, is there any way of getting reasonable amounts of money without a guaranteed source of coin fairies?

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 27, 2012

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Suggestion, get the axe. Check the Temple of Moonlight

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Imagine playing through this game but imagine if it had fall damage.

Sorry.

Also i'd like to point out, if you like metroidvaniamulana style games, give http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/treasure_adventure_game Treasure Adventure Game a go. It's free, huge, and pretty neat.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

pumpinglemma posted:

So I think the next thing I should be doing is killing Viy. I've found what I think is the boss room, and presumably the jewel and ankh trigger are in the area behind the other eye door I can see via yagostr.exe. So it looks like I should be trying to get to the corresponding eye door in the Temple of Ruin, but I don't see any way to get past the room with the teleport... Hints?

Alternatively, there's a miniboss in the Gate of Illusions who's been kicking my arse - I've stopped his regeneration , but it's too hard to stun him and he does too much damage. Should I be going after him instead?)

e: Also, is there any way of getting reasonable amounts of money without a guaranteed source of coin fairies?

As far as the first question... look for a red demon that must be vanquished.

Part two: My line of thinking is that if you encounter any boss, mid or not, that is giving you trouble, fight it until you're almost dead, then fill his/her/its brains full of lead. You might as well go after him now because you'll get an item that you'll probably need rather soon anyway.

And for the third question, no, not really. Just find a spot where you can easily get to where you can move in and out to reset any not-coin fairies (I always used the Fountain or Waterfall or whatever it's called in the Sky) and once you get one, warp to the Chamber of Extinction and move up to start block bashing.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 27, 2012

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Hey, I beat Bahamut! Somehow.

But gently caress you, Backbeard! I get a goddamn split second to hit him and every goddamn area you fight him in is way too tight. What's even more stupid is how leaving the area resets the loving dais puzzle there, meaning I can't solve it, leave, then go back and kill him without having to navigate through that bullshit again.

And gently caress you even more, Viy! I tried that trick earlier to brute-force him but my HP drains at 4 HP a tick instead of 1 like that movie! Did Nigoro patch the game recently or does having 256 HP affect his drain?

Seriously, where are the modding tools? I want to see if I can make this game less complete bullshit (by which I mean I will seriously try to give myself unlimited pistol ammo.) I haven't gotten this mad at a game since Dissidia.

Casull fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 28, 2012

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

pumpinglemma posted:

(Alternatively, there's a miniboss in the Gate of Illusions who's been kicking my arse - I've stopped his regeneration, but it's too hard to stun him and he does too much damage. Should I be going after him instead?)

That guys not so bad. I beat him by using the Axe with the gauntlet, and a lot of shruikens. If you stand just infront of him and hit his shield with the axe three times, he will be stunned for a moment. Jump and pop him in the face with some shruikens, then move back mid-air because when he starts moving again he will jump forwards. A healing fairy will help shake off most of the damage he deals at the start of the fight.

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012
I've managed to make it all the way to the final boss.

I'm having trouble with the second form - I can't figure out a way to dodge the attack where the boss moves across the bottom of the screen. I've tried jumping over it, but I can't seem to get high enough - is my timing just off?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ineffable posted:

I'm having trouble with the second form - I can't figure out a way to dodge the attack where the boss moves across the bottom of the screen. I've tried jumping over it, but I can't seem to get high enough - is my timing just off?

Sticking to the corners of the screen seemed to work for me. What I did was stick myself there and throw chakrams right towards her midsection, and moved to the other corner if she came over to where I was.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ineffable posted:

I always stayed in the corners right below/behind her and just waited patiently for her to do that very attack, and using those opportunities to get hits in. She doesn't have a lot of stamina in that segment so it goes very quickly.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Ineffable posted:

I'm having trouble with the second form

(Despoilered "the final boss" because spoiling the topic of your spoiler is just counterproductive.)

I used flares (firing of 2-3 before running to dodge), took around 30-40ish of them. Figuring out the timing/jump height/whatever to hit her at the end of the run would probably be more effective time-wise but I couldn't be arsed and played it safe instead.

Frankly what gave me the most trouble was the third form--in terms of getting through it without taking too much damage. Frankly I had an easier time learning to avoid damage in the final form than in the third.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I'm having a good time with the game, but man it gets obtuse as gently caress after about the midway point. I've given up trying to solve the game without a guide.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

nftyw posted:

As far as the first question... look for a red demon that must be vanquished.

I'm stuck here currently as well, and can't for my life remember how it was done in the original. Could you give another hint?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Ugh. I need the cogwheel, and I remember vaguely how to do it from the original version. But where is this actually described in the remake? I'd like to try and figure out what's required from wherever it's described, but I don't feel like searching every tablet in the game again.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Velius posted:

Ugh. I need the cogwheel, and I remember vaguely how to do it from the original version. But where is this actually described in the remake? I'd like to try and figure out what's required from wherever it's described, but I don't feel like searching every tablet in the game again.

Do you know where the cogwheel is? Just talk to the fairy there and then head back the way you came. There will be three tablets right next to each other.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I know where the tasks are, as for where the fairy is, not so much. I really dislike the latter bits of the game, when you've 'finished' most of the areas and thus have no reason to check all the tablets again for obscuria.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Velius posted:

I know where the tasks are, as for where the fairy is, not so much. I really dislike the latter bits of the game, when you've 'finished' most of the areas and thus have no reason to check all the tablets again for obscuria.

Go to the top of the Tower of the Goddess and go left. That should take you to the Gate of Illusion. Follow the path till you reach the dead end with a door, that will lead you to the fairy. Then as I said earlier, go back the way you came and three tablets will appear.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Huzzah! posted:

Go to the top of the Tower of the Goddess and go left. That should take you to the Gate of Illusion. Follow the path till you reach the dead end with a door, that will lead you to the fairy. Then as I said earlier, go back the way you came and three tablets will appear.

Ugh. Somehow I forgot about that stupid breakable wall. Again. That seems to be the answer to a large majority of the game's puzzles. That and walkable walls, and teleporters in walls.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Casull posted:

Hey, I beat Bahamut! Somehow.

But gently caress you, Backbeard! I get a goddamn split second to hit him and every goddamn area you fight him in is way too tight. What's even more stupid is how leaving the area resets the loving dais puzzle there, meaning I can't solve it, leave, then go back and kill him without having to navigate through that bullshit again.

And gently caress you even more, Viy! I tried that trick earlier to brute-force him but my HP drains at 4 HP a tick instead of 1 like that movie! Did Nigoro patch the game recently or does having 256 HP affect his drain?

Seriously, where are the modding tools? I want to see if I can make this game less complete bullshit (by which I mean I will seriously try to give myself unlimited pistol ammo.) I haven't gotten this mad at a game since Dissidia.

Cheat Engine works with this game. Giving yourself tons and tons of money makes things so much easier in every way. You could give yourself infinite pistol ammo or health if you wanted, though. Just need to take the time to find the addresses; it's not hard though.

Edit: FYI, for money, it's a 2-bit integer. I think that's the right term. Anyway, the value tends to shift around whenever you restart the game, but it's easy enough to find.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 29, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kurui Reiten posted:

Cheat Engine works with this game. Giving yourself tons and tons of money makes things so much easier in every way. You could give yourself infinite pistol ammo or health if you wanted, though. Just need to take the time to find the addresses; it's not hard though.

Edit: FYI, for money, it's a 2-bit integer. I think that's the right term. Anyway, the value tends to shift around whenever you restart the game, but it's easy enough to find.

2 byte, I would hope, since 3 coins isn't really enough :v:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Byte sounds right, yeah. If you set it to 2 byte, you can find the number just by searching for whatever it displays as in-game, no fiddling around.

MechaBread
Dec 17, 2009

Jazzhooves!
Yeah if you have Win7 (maybe vista), lamulanawin uses address space layout randomization by default. I think you can disable it with a PE editor like CFF explorer. Go to the Optional Headers > DllCharacteristics and disable the DLL Can Move flag. Then most of the memory addresses should be at the same offset between runs. Can't test it myself since I have XP.

Specifically, you can find your money at any time with the pointer at x006D5650 (assuming the data section was placed at x006CE000. If not, the +offset 7650 bytes to wherever that was placed) which points to an "items" structure which has a bunch of flags for the items you currently have, and your money. The 212st byte of this structure is your 2 byte money value.

Or you could just do the cheat engine search thing. Yeah I'd stick to that.

MechaBread fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 29, 2012

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Is there a way to give yourself infinite double jumps so the hell temple can be completed in a timely manner and with considerably less insanity?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hempuli posted:

I'm stuck here currently as well, and can't for my life remember how it was done in the original. Could you give another hint?

You should be able to get the spears that you'll need in the Tower of Ruin. If you don't have a Feather yet you may need to get that first, head to the Temple of the Moon through the bronze mirror door and look for the midboos -- if you don't have access to the mirror, you should probaly get ahold of it, which might mean you have to go to the Fountain in the Sky to flood the Temple of the Sun, which requires the Helmet found in the Twin Labyrinth.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 29, 2012

MechaBread
Dec 17, 2009

Jazzhooves!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Is there a way to give yourself infinite double jumps so the hell temple can be completed in a timely manner and with considerably less insanity?

Heh. Open the exe in a hex editor. Go to 000E7BE1 and change the A4 to 00. Although, I don't think it'll help much since you still can't change direction midair. Also, you'd just be blatantly cheating at this point. :gamegenie:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

nftyw posted:

You should be able to get the spears that you'll need in the Tower of Ruin. If you don't have a Feather yet you may need to get that first, head to the Temple of the Moon through the bronze mirror door and look for the midboos -- if you don't have access to the mirror, you should probaly get ahold of it, which might mean you have to go to the Fountain in the Sky to flood the Temple of the Sun, which requires the Helmet found in the Twin Labyrinth.

I've done all of that already and do have the subweapon mentioned. I've beaten Amphisbaena, Sakit, Bahamut and Ellmac. I've also opened the way to Shrine of Mother, as well as opened the Twin Labyrinth. I feel that I should be able to reach Viy now, but I have a hunch that might require beating Baphomet. I just haven't been able to find the ankh jewel from the Twin Labyrinth, since it's location has changed from what it was in the original.

I'll take a look at the temple in hopes of finding something, though.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hempuli posted:

I've done all of that already and do have the subweapon mentioned. I've beaten Amphisbaena, Sakit, Bahamut and Ellmac. I've also opened the way to Shrine of Mother, as well as opened the Twin Labyrinth. I feel that I should be able to reach Viy now, but I have a hunch that might require beating Baphomet. I just haven't been able to find the ankh jewel from the Twin Labyrinth, since it's location has changed from what it was in the original.

I'll take a look at the temple in hopes of finding something, though.

There's a conspicuous red demon head somewhere in the Tower of Ruin you might want to check out, then.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

nftyw posted:

There's a conspicuous red demon head somewhere in the Tower of Ruin you might want to check out, then.

I actually had done that puzzle as well, but last time I checked the door was blocked. I'm not sure what opened it, but I thought the front/rear doors only opened when the boss of that area was beaten, which is why I didn't look from there and spent time bumbling elsewhere. Anyway, thanks a bunch for your help.

And by that, I just beat Viy. I was expecting a really tough fight, on par with Shu, but in the end I beat him on my first try. To be honest, I'm kind of wondering what made people consider him such a tough foe in the first place!

...Except now I'm kind of stuck at the Tower of the Goddess. I got there, got to the top of the second tower to unlock the grail, but it seems that to get forward (i.e. get to the top of the third tower and set the waterflow on) I need the lamp. To get the lamp, I need to get to the part of Graveyard of Giants that can only be accessed from Chamber of Birth and Tower of the Goddess. Alas, to get there I need to turn off the Goddess statues, which requires the plane model and, by extension, the Eye of Truth, the latter of which apparently requires me to get onto the top of the third tower. I know there's something I'm missing here, but I have no idea where to start from!

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Hempuli posted:

but it seems that to get forward (i.e. get to the top of the third tower and set the waterflow on) I need the lamp.

No.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Hempuli posted:

...Except now I'm kind of stuck at the Tower of the Goddess. I got there, got to the top of the second tower to unlock the grail, but it seems that to get forward (i.e. get to the top of the third tower and set the waterflow on) I need the lamp. To get the lamp, I need to get to the part of Graveyard of Giants that can only be accessed from Chamber of Birth and Tower of the Goddess. Alas, to get there I need to turn off the Goddess statues, which requires the plane model and, by extension, the Eye of Truth, the latter of which apparently requires me to get onto the top of the third tower. I know there's something I'm missing here, but I have no idea where to start from!

Have you read every tablet yet? One tablet near the first tower makes a funny sound after you've read it. That's part 1 of how to start it; I hope you paid attention to that particular tablet.

The second part is that you've got to ask yourself: Which field in the entire game has a lot of water?

Question time: How do I get the Death Seal? I've gotten rid of the skull walls in the Shrine of Mother, and I talked to Alsedana, but the corresponding ladder in the Endless Corridor hasn't dropped yet.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is there an easier way to get the last life sphere besides jumping on the water spouts? I can rarely get up there, but then I fall anyway near the chest. If I can get up there easier it wouldn't be near as frustrating.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mercury_Storm posted:

Why would you do that? It's the whole point of the Hell Temple, you might as well just download a 100% save game and save yourself the time.

Mr E posted:

Is there an easier way to get the last life sphere besides jumping on the water spouts? I can rarely get up there, but then I fall anyway near the chest. If I can get up there easier it wouldn't be near as frustrating.

Bounce off the guy. With a little practice it is really easy to pull off.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Casull posted:

Question time: How do I get the Death Seal? I've gotten rid of the skull walls in the Shrine of Mother, and I talked to Alsedana, but the corresponding ladder in the Endless Corridor hasn't dropped yet.

Are you sure you spoke to the right Philosopher? Check all of them to be sure.

Mr E posted:

Use the Lamp to climb the spout. Once you're up there, come at the chest and dais from the bottom, not the top.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh god fighting Mother in hard mode is downright :suicide:

Also defeated Hell in hard mode. The reward is even more amazing than I had heard

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Are the grapple claws useless or am I just a lucky bastard and got them way before I found where I need them?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Ok, wow, I have no idea how you are supposed to collect the map and anchor in the Gate of Illusion without using a guide. Seriously, this is getting ridiculous how obtuse this game is.

MechaBread
Dec 17, 2009

Jazzhooves!
Luckily that's kinda the last really obtuse area until chamber of birth;

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Is there a point to killing the ankh guardians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

That would be the entire point of the game. You can't reach the true last area until you have killed all ankh guardians.

• Locked thread