Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's true, you can also swap the hunting shotgun for something else like the HSG and the M79 grenade launcher if you want some crowd control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Doesn't that pretty much remove your ability to 1-shot scrakes and 2-shot FPs though? Hunting shotgun almost feels mandatory to me at this point.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
It takes a lot of money to rack it up unless you're level six in sharp shooter, support or firebug, but I like to roll with the crossbow, mac10 and hunting shotgun. the mac10's a really good for popping heads and generally dealing with smaller things and sirens from a distance. The crossbow lets you soften up scrakes and FP's from the distance if you need too, and then just blast them up close with the shotgun.

I'm so glad the demolitions guy now gets the assault rifle with the grenade launcher on it, that's really useful for picking off smaller things up close and then still popping off grenades at things in the distance before switching back to the other grenade launcher..

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
As a level 6 support you can take the M99 and AA12. Aint nothing gonna get past you with that loadout. Only downside is being able to afford them both.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
I honestly keep forgetting about the Hunting Shotgun and figure that because it's relatively cheap it must not be that good.

Any other main or gimmick Support builds out there? M99 is a total surprise to me.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Aliginge posted:

Any other main or gimmick Support builds out there? M99 is a total surprise to me.

For a while I was rocking out with a hunting shotgun / M32 combo. It's fun as hell, you just have to be extra careful about blowing yourself up.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Aliginge posted:

I honestly keep forgetting about the Hunting Shotgun and figure that because it's relatively cheap it must not be that good.

I'd be interested to hear how M99 works offperk. I never even considered it.

For support, heres how I generally play.

Round 1: play as berserker, sell chainsaw and buy katana
Rounds 2-10: Switch to support, buy Hunting shotgun/AA12

Rounds 1-7 are generally a breeze, 8+ on suicidal and harder I start to have ammo management issues and just hope that we have good commandos and whatnot to deal with trash. On hard and below I tend not to run out of ammo

Scrakes: one katana hit to the head to stun, then crouch, aim up, and fire one alt hunting shotgun blast to the head to kill it.

Fleshpounds: Grenade, alt hunting shotgun blast, grenade, grenade, alt hunting shotgun blast. Usually kills it without you taking any damage, and the only thing that really screws me up is when like 3 scrakes and 2 FPs or some ridiculous combo like that are all clumped up.

I feel like I give up the ability to deal with scrakes and FPs if I give up hunting shotgun. BOOMSTICK TIME. BOTH BARRELS FOR THIS BASTARD. THIS IS A BIG SODDING GUN

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 30, 2012

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
As far as I'm concerned if you're not using both barrels on the super shotgun on everything you're not using it right. Even if it's a single clot.

Especially if it's a single clot.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Nothing is more satisfying then sending bits of a crawler across a map after it leaps right into your double barrel shot. loving crawlers.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Above two posters understand the art of double barrel shotgun zen. The Blue Danube Waltz plays as a clot triple backflips through the air, limbs flying in every direction.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
I finished off the Patriarch by interrupting his healing syringe with a double-blast from the hunting shotgun. It was so powerful it knocked him through the closed door to the trader's shop. :c00l: Any of you ever juggled Patriarch's corpse with the AA12 after killing him? poo poo's glorious.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
One of my favourite things to do in KF is to crouch and let a crawler leap up at me, then double-barrel-blasting the guy upwards and across the street.

Really, I don't understand the appeal in gibbing (the red mist kind, limbs are a-okay). Physics are so much more entertaining.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Is the birdcage open to non-goons, also? I played last night with a few names I didn't recognize (with clan tags, too)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I opened it up because nobody was using it and I wanted some achievements. I can close it again if Goons start using it.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I've been playing on Birdcage occasionally for the last couple of days or so.

Any chance it can be bumped up to hard again?

edit: Going to hop on now actually. Time to get some mutant/zombie/monster murderin' on!

TouchyMcFeely fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 30, 2012

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I can certainly bump it up to Hard.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Reallycoolname posted:

One of my favourite things to do in KF is to crouch and let a crawler leap up at me, then double-barrel-blasting the guy upwards and across the street.

Really, I don't understand the appeal in gibbing (the red mist kind, limbs are a-okay). Physics are so much more entertaining.

In the Departed map there's a fence between the train tracks and the street with some pallets stacked up acting as a ladder. If you crouch near those and shoot the zeds that come over the pallets, you can fling their bodies up onto the roof of the building next door. This roof has a skylight, but I'm yet to get one to fly up and drop into the building through it.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

Fudge Handsome posted:

I finished off the Patriarch by interrupting his healing syringe with a double-blast from the hunting shotgun. It was so powerful it knocked him through the closed door to the trader's shop. :c00l: Any of you ever juggled Patriarch's corpse with the AA12 after killing him? poo poo's glorious.

My friends and I usually use 4-5 supports for the final wave. All those AA12s mean the Patriarch's corpse doesn't stop slowmo flying through the air in until the very end.

Then we try to create a never-ending doshtrain between us in the final freezeframe.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
In addition to anti-blocker and the kill counter, I have these mutators installed on my server:
Patriarch HP left tells you the Patriarch's health if he kills you. It isn't really a game changer but it's kinda interesting to see that he's still at 88.92% loving health even though you loving unloaded on him for loving ever :cry:
Voting Handler Fix allows you much more flexibility in voting. You have to set up game types in advance, but you can change mutators and difficulty level on the fly. I have a bunch of game types set up - Normal, Hard, Normal with faked players... oh poo poo, that reminds me...
Faked Players allows you to increase the size of waves without increasing the difficulty level, as though there were additional players. The faked players take up server slots, which sucks, but it's pretty nice if you have three people looking for a bit more challenge but not willing to go up to suicidal.

Getting the voting handler set up is a little more complicated than the regular mutators, but the instructions are pretty clear and once you get it working you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

edit:
If you guys want to play on my server go ahead:

I have the entire map whitelist on there, so the map list can be a bit of a pain in the rear end, but it also has that one map that you were looking for but couldn't find on another server.

THE CHORSE fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 31, 2012

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

THE CHORSE posted:

Faked Players allows you to increase the size of waves without increasing the difficulty level, as though there were additional players. The faked players take up server slots, which sucks, but it's pretty nice if you have three people looking for a bit more challenge but not willing to go up to suicidal.

This one is pretty much the best mutator. It provides a small but noticeable increase in difficulty that's not quite as big a jump as normal to hard, or hard to suicidal. It's also great if you want to grind headshots to level up sharpshooter or other damage-based perks quickly.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
As a new player (I've sank about 12 hours into it since I bought it in Summer Sale) it's so drat hard to get any good at this game playing normal with pubbies. They all just leave and go to different direction, there is no teamwork at all, and everyone is just out to get the most kills per game. And when I ask for advice in between waves, or try and set up a plan, I just get laughed at basically. I always end up dying nearly every wave because nobody likes to help the new guy.

Besides that though, this game is loving awesome. I just hit level 3 Sharpshooter and it's a blast. When I get an actual teamwork server, the game really shows just how good it is.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Inudeku posted:

As a new player (I've sank about 12 hours into it since I bought it in Summer Sale) it's so drat hard to get any good at this game playing normal with pubbies. They all just leave and go to different direction, there is no teamwork at all, and everyone is just out to get the most kills per game. And when I ask for advice in between waves, or try and set up a plan, I just get laughed at basically. I always end up dying nearly every wave because nobody likes to help the new guy.

Besides that though, this game is loving awesome. I just hit level 3 Sharpshooter and it's a blast. When I get an actual teamwork server, the game really shows just how good it is.

I will totally get on the birdcage right now if you want, maybe we can get a lil goon game going

http://steamcommunity.com/id/shandrake

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Someone tell me the benefits of using the Combat Shotgun; I think M1014s are cool and I want an excuse to use one but it doesn't seem very good. :(

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Insert name here posted:

Someone tell me the benefits of using the Combat Shotgun; I think M1014s are cool and I want an excuse to use one but it doesn't seem very good. :(

Since it does more damage per shot than the AA12 but has about half the ammo capacity and slightly less weight, depending on your level you can use it as a sudden-kill gun like the hunting by just mashing the fire button, and have some weight over for a back-up gun that's not the .44. It's a mixed bag, the ability to fire as fast as you can comes in really handy but having only 6 shots and the same ammo reserve as the regular shotgun (at 5x the price) is not a fair trade-off. I think with some slight tweaking, like having 10 shots, would make it a really good alternative.

So in other words, no, if you're a level 6 support, stick with AA12 and Hunting with the .44 as the gun for the small stuff to conserve shells.

Edit: I'd like to join some Birdcage games with goons but I can never find it in the server list. :(

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 1, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Inudeku posted:

As a new player...

One thing to note is that difficulty is a factor. People tend to run off and be pubbie superstars on normal/hard just because they can (And outright expect it if you're playing westlondon/wyre/mountainpass). I'm guilty of it too, and it can be fun on normal. Sometimes people gently caress around for the first 5-7 waves as well. Another thing is there tend to be unspoken "camp here" spots in a lot of maps, and players tend to just default to there. It's harder at low levels because it takes so long to get the good weapons, and you need to survive for 4-5 waves often. Don't worry about kill count as much as staying alive. Death sets you back a huge amount of cash. Later on it becomes "spawn as L6 sharpshooter, sell crossbow, switch classes, buy powerweapons exponentially cheaper than normal cost due to perk level"

Insert name here posted:

I really want to like the combat shotgun, but basically the incredibly high price, the reload speed, shell reserve (the same as the $150 pump shotgun, of which it shares most stats) and low magazine capacity put it dead last in my shotgun priority. I would consider using it if they improved some combination of any of those things, but until then AA-12/katana/Hunting is kind of my gospel go-to setup. The rapid fire on combat shotgun does own incredibly hard though, and it's amusing to use offperk as a commando for the reload speed bonus. Otherwise, the only time I see it used is in the "3-shotgun trash removal never gonna run out of ammo" setup that was posted earlier.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 1, 2012

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Yeah it's far too expensive for me to use normally; why spend 1000 dosh when I could just save another 200 for an AA-12 (at level 5)?

I'm going to try using it on the Commando simply because I want an excuse to actually use the thing but god drat 2500 base price?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
It's the worst shotgun overall I think. All the other guns fill a certain role, and the combat shotty (and to a lesser extent the new one from the summer event) perform combinations of their jobs but not as well as the individual guns. AA12 is still the best spray and pray, HS has higher burst damage etc. I only use the new shottys when I'm doing an all shotgun run of a map, which is certainly not without its merits. If you've got s good hold spot it can be a blast (heh) to constantly rain pellets on all zeds. But if you're still learning the game or really trying to beat a map, stick with some combination of pump, HS and AA12.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
So I found this while spectating on WestLondon earlier, buried in an inaccessible part of the level geometry:

I loaded up Solo and turned noclip mode on to get a closer look:

The sign reads:

quote:

~ The ~

Thirsty
Modder
~~~~~~
Service,
Spirits,
Staticmesh
Trying to get any closer to the sign than this was impossible, as attempting to do so led to everything turning yellow and disappearing.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'll be on the Birdcage tonight lookin' for map achievements, I think I just need Aperture, Filth's Cross, and the old Circus map on Hard now.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

alg posted:

I'll be on the Birdcage tonight lookin' for map achievements, I think I just need Aperture, Filth's Cross, and the old Circus map on Hard now.

Amusingly, those were the exact same last maps on hard to get the achievements for on hard as well (along with ice cave. I had the worst luck there). Got them eventually, but I'll join up if I can.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 1, 2012

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Tonights discoveries:

Hunting Shotty is lolzy as balls for literally every use.
Support can do anything.
LAR is good in the hands of most classes but wait what the gently caress do you mean i can HS-stun scrakes with a £200 gun as a SS???

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Only as a level 6 SS I think. Still the LAR is one of the best guns in the game for any class and on any difficulty.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
When you get good at firing the LAR from the hip you become pretty unstoppable.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Propaganda Hour posted:

When you get good at firing the LAR from the hip you become pretty unstoppable.

It's like a high-level commando with the bullpup: a 50-round headshot laser. Look at all those exploding heads!

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
Am I an idiot or is pretty much every server empty ?:|

e: nm, games installed with corrupt files! this is highly entertaining

Ganson fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 2, 2012

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Hoping on the Birdcage. Anybody care to join me?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
:siren: KILLING FLOOR MOVIE COMING OUT :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz98mW5DVqA

Well not really but it's the same premise.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

alright goony goons, I'll be on the Birdcage in a little bit after I finish eating for some Saturday night Killing Floor. I have a Nightfall Character Pack leftover from the Summer Sale for some goon who doesn't actually have it!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Psalmanazar posted:

This is absolutely hilarious, is not a killing floor movie but can pass like it. Just needs Larry Enfield to be complete :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Psalmanazar posted:

If this doesn't get a stateside release I'm going to be so unbelievably bummed.

• Locked thread