Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yeah, it can take quite a few tries, but keep at it. Same thing for getting a "hot" day.

The one that stumped me was 'falling stars'. If you look closely in the background of the sea there are ALWAYS falling stars. I thought that was it, not the very obvious golden rain shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
How do I get more chain links? I have everyone use the same color, but the last attack ends it. Just luck?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mostly luck, but high tension and high affinity between party members will make additional chain links more likely.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Nathilus posted:

The one that stumped me was 'falling stars'. If you look closely in the background of the sea there are ALWAYS falling stars. I thought that was it, not the very obvious golden rain shower.

Falling stars seemed like it took forever to occur. I found it far easier to conjure up a thunderstorm. Thankfully, there aren't many situations in which you need the falling stars to get your drop/item.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Ok, so I'm glad I stuck through my issues in the beginning, game has been a blast. So I have a question on Skill linking...just what does it do? The game doesn't seem to explain it, does it just give that skill to the other character?

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

shaitan posted:

Ok, so I'm glad I stuck through my issues in the beginning, game has been a blast. So I have a question on Skill linking...just what does it do? The game doesn't seem to explain it, does it just give that skill to the other character?
That's correct. You will be able to link more skills between characters as you build affinity between them. The limiting factor on skill linking is Affinity Coins, as each skill linked costs varying amounts Coins. If you don't have enough Coins, you can't link a skill. Coins are fully refunded if you delete a skill link, and are most easily earned by killing Unique Monsters for the first time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Another important detail is that skills stack when present on multiple characters. So example, Shulk has a skill that heals everyone for 5% their max health after a Chain Attack. If you link that to Reyn, then it becomes a 10% (5%+5%). I would imagine that only applies if both Shulk and Reyn are in your party but I can't say for certain.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Tip for people trying to get Dust Elements for the Special Level 2: do the quest "Dangerous Ambition", and go where Dadada is. In this area is two of the Caeris Nebula right next to each other. Save in front of them, fight both, and if you dont get them, reload, bish bash bosh.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

C-Euro posted:

I would imagine that only applies if both Shulk and Reyn are in your party but I can't say for certain.

That particular skill is marked as "battle party" so yes it's only active if people with that skill are in the party. I'll also add that there's no practical difference between the original owner of a skill and someone it's linked to, you can have three people who aren't Shulk in the party and still get that 15% heal so long as all three have that skill linked.

Only skills marked as "always active" take effect whether someone with that skill is in the party or not (so if you get that Exp Up skill early on then you'll be overlevelled even if you leave that character on the bench :v: )

Edit: the issue's confused a little by some "always active" skills being self-only (like being able to equip heavier armour), but it should be pretty clear from reading a skill's description whether it's like that or if it's meant to affect everyone.

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 25, 2012

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
So, I don't find the nopon's way of speech cute. I find it annoying. However, in Frontier Village, there is a nopon who says they studied our lanquage for years, and calculated the perfect cuteness ratio or something. Basically they do it on purpose to appear cute. So, yeah.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Deep Winter posted:

So, I don't find the nopon's way of speech cute. I find it annoying. However, in Frontier Village, there is a nopon who says they studied our lanquage for years, and calculated the perfect cuteness ratio or something. Basically they do it on purpose to appear cute. So, yeah.

Soon you'll find out nopon are petty little douches who hold grudges forever and it will be glorious

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Soon you'll find out nopon are petty little douches who hold grudges forever and it will be glorious

Riki is also one of the most cunning party members. Everyone else is pretty straightforward, but he always seems to have some sort of hidden agenda.

His battle quotes reveal his wit too:

Riki: "Sidekicks try hard"
Reyn: "What, who do you calling sidekicks?"
Riki: "Don't see anyone else, must be you!"

:D

Or another,

Riki: "Riki try hard!"
Seven: "I know, I was watching."
Riki (suavely): "Is Riki so handsome?" :3

I also found his speech annoying at first but he really grew on me.

Speaking of annoying speech, jeez I can't stand the 'One hit kill... OR SOMETHING! TEE HEE!' quote. That character sounds reasonably intelligent in the game except for during that one quote, when she sounds like a vapid valley girl.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Nathilus posted:

Speaking of annoying speech, jeez I can't stand the 'One hit kill... OR SOMETHING! TEE HEE!' quote. That character sounds reasonably intelligent in the game except for during that one quote, when she sounds like a vapid valley girl.

That character's very fabric of existence is woven from concentrated japanese nerd fanservice. The background, their nature, their look, the character, the speech... Throwing in meta-gamey nerd lingo one-liners is really just another drop in the bucket.
Of course that character can't really know what they're talking about (the glorious boy's club of games), so they add... that. Yeah, it's pretty disgusting.

I just always try to keep in mind to hate the intended audience and maybe the creators and not the character themselves.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Deep Winter posted:

That NPC says right after that he was just bullshitting you.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Last Celebration posted:

That NPC says right after that he was just bullshitting you.
Nopon sneaky

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I'm pretty sure that the Nopon are actually the real guys running things.

No, seriously, that whole several dozen hour story that explains everything in a convoluted manner about what's going on? Cover up. It's all part of the Nopon plan.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I'm working on colony 6 right now, I just got all the level 1 quests completed, but when I go to select one of the level 2 quests it won't let me complete it even though i have everything needed. Is there something I need to do to unlock them of do I have to do them in order from top to bottom?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

shaitan posted:

I'm working on colony 6 right now, I just got all the level 1 quests completed, but when I go to select one of the level 2 quests it won't let me complete it even though i have everything needed. Is there something I need to do to unlock them of do I have to do them in order from top to bottom?

You're probably missing a lot of money and don't realize it. The Colony 6 things can get pretty expensive.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

HenryEx posted:

Throwing in meta-gamey nerd lingo one-liners is really just another drop in the bucket.Of course that character can't really know what they're talking about (the glorious boy's club of games), so they add... that.
You really think that's why? I just took it as a tacit acknowledgement that using gamer lingo is out of place in a a world that apparently doesn't have video games.

I mean it's still an annoying line because it makes her sound stupid, but I think you're reaching a bit.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Chaltab posted:

You really think that's why? I just took it as a tacit acknowledgement that using gamer lingo is out of place in a a world that apparently doesn't have video games.

I mean it's still an annoying line because it makes her sound stupid, but I think you're reaching a bit.

Yeah I think it's reaching too considering it's one specific instance out of hundreds where the character sounds "dumb"; if there were a consistent trail of this then that'd be something to look at. There have been plenty of lines Reyn spits out that make him sound just as dumb, so focusing in on this one as the golden example of inept writers seems strange.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Calaveron posted:

You're probably missing a lot of money and don't realize it. The Colony 6 things can get pretty expensive.

I'll check but I have over 250k saved up, I thought it was only asking for 20k.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Either that or it may be a quantity issue, especially if your Wii/TV setup is like mine and you can't actually read the text clearly.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I finished it a few days ago and still can't stop thinking about the game. Now I'm all bummed that I'm going to have to wait years to play another JRPG as good as that one. What a superb game and fine high water mark for the genre though. I can definitely say it's one of those games that's going to stick with me for life. It's not like it was perfect but the vision they had for the world and plot was pretty awesome and it's so ridiculously playable that any of its slight problems seem like nothing. Not to mention the gorgeous soundtrack. This is up there with some of the best RPG soundtracks of all time with a dash of Chrono Cross thrown in.

Seriously, if I had to grade this game, it would be like that scene out of Christmas Story. A PLUS PLUS PLUS PLUS PLUS PLUS...

If I have one thing to complain about its that character battle sayings are still randomly popping into my head. (rikisneaky)

I have to give serious props for the fact they never killed Dunban off. I really liked the character and voice work so I was bummed from practically the opening cutscene, sure that as the Awesome Veteran Hero character he was going to get killed off quickly. Instead he hangs around for the entire game being completely loving awesome. I'm pretty sure someone got arrested for breaking the Anime Laws on that one.

After I first played him in battle I thought that it wouldn't get any better than that but he just keeps getting more awesome up until the penultimate boss fight, where he blocks a Godlike being one-handed while delivering a rousing 'believe in yourself' speech. gently caress yes.

In fact, all of the characters are awesome.I thought Seven, Riki, and maybe even Reyn and Sharla were going to turn into annoying token characters. But no, everyone gets loving character development and it rules. Sharla does end up sort of sucking by making battles boring as gently caress and tricking you into thinking you need her, but she just stayed out of my party and still got her 15 minutes of glory on the Mechonis.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 29, 2012

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So I think I broke Xenoblade :ohdear:

I was doing the quests Brave Actions and Protect the Captial! in Alcamoth. Somewhere along the line you have to kill a couple of Bono Nebulae during Protect the Capital.

Well, I killed the monsters, got the Quest Complete window, and received the rewards. However, the quest isn't marked as complete in the log (still says "Kill two Bono Nebulae at Eryth Sea" with an empty checkbox. Killing more of them or talking to the quest commissioners doesn't do anything (they just talk as if I hadn't accepted it yet or am still doing it).

Anyone know what's up? I tried saving/reloading, leaving the area, turning the Wii on and off again. Nothing. Is the quest stuck in Limbo forever or am I just stupid and can't figure out what to do? :psyduck:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 28, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
How do people build Shulk? Once you stop fighting mechon, he just sort of sucks for everything but dealing with visions.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

How do people build Shulk? Once you stop fighting mechon, he just sort of sucks for everything but dealing with visions.

Shulk is a glass cannon who relies heavily on positioning to get the job done but is capable of dealing monstrous damage (try out Monado Buster on a 4x Chain Attack and watch your numbers skyrocket). His final Skill Tree also gives your party a ton of buffs whenever visions arrive, which means that any enemy capable of knocking your party onto the ropes will be promptly vaporized once they do. He's one of the duller characters to play, but still has his uses.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Back Slash deals a crapload of damage, it's probably the hardest hitting move in the game outside a Chain Attack. Light Heal is pretty good as well. Other than that I stack him with Haste and Double Attack from gems and skills and usually don't even bother with any of the other skills except the Aggro Reducing one. Use your massive Talent Art gauge generation to trivialize any battle by spamming whatever Monado Art you want. Enchant is actually pretty good against non-Mechon enemies since it increases weapon damage by a goodly amount at high levels of the skill. Armor is of course, hilarious to spam. Other than that, spam whichever Monado damage dealing art you have leveled the most. I usually go for Buster as it is the hardest hitting, Cyclone can good for the huge area but it deals much less damage.

Mak0rz posted:

So I think I broke Xenoblade :ohdear:

I was doing the quests Brave Actions and Protect the Captial! in Alcamoth. Somewhere along the line you have to kill a couple of Bono Nebulae during Protect the Capital.

Well, I killed the monsters, got the Quest Complete window, and received the rewards. However, the quest isn't marked as complete in the log (still says "Kill two Bono Nebulae at Eryth Sea" with an empty checkbox. Killing more of them or talking to the quest commissioners doesn't do anything (they just talk as if I hadn't accepted it yet or am still doing it).

Anyone know what's up? I tried saving/reloading, leaving the area, turning the Wii on and off again. Nothing. Is the quest stuck in Limbo forever or am I just stupid and can't figure out what to do? :psyduck:

One quest requires you to kill Bono Nebulae, the other requires Buono Nebulae. Yes, they are different enemies, it's not just a typo.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Vil posted:

Either that or it may be a quantity issue, especially if your Wii/TV setup is like mine and you can't actually read the text clearly.

Yeah I'm a dumbass, I read something as needing 1 and I had 3 of the item, but it needed 3 and I only have 1.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ojetor posted:

One quest requires you to kill Bono Nebulae, the other requires Buono Nebulae. Yes, they are different enemies, it's not just a typo.

Wow, what a nuisance. I didn't even notice there were two different spellings to begin with! Thanks for the info, go the quest done in no time after that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I used him (with double attack gems) to beat the final boss because I could have monado shield + speed up at all times. When your tank character gets a free pass at some skills due to shield, while dodging 90% of everything else with speed, Shulk proves his worth.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shulk is awesome for his support. 75% damage reduction from Physical and Ether attacks for 15 seconds? Hell yes. Load him up with Haste and Double-Attack and wade into enemies.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

HenryEx posted:

That character's very fabric of existence is woven from concentrated japanese nerd fanservice. The background, their nature, their look, the character, the speech... Throwing in meta-gamey nerd lingo one-liners is really just another drop in the bucket.
Of course that character can't really know what they're talking about (the glorious boy's club of games), so they add... that. Yeah, it's pretty disgusting.

I just always try to keep in mind to hate the intended audience and maybe the creators and not the character themselves.

That's an awfully cynical way of looking at it. I read it more as, "I am a super awesome badass robot warrior and...poo poo, guys, I can't keep a straight face."

Either way: gently caress intended audiences. You play they game, you take from it what you like. :colbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Dammit Desiree, I have 4 stars with Colony 9 give me the quest for the 4th skill tree already :argh:

Speaking of loose ends at Colony 9, has anyone been able to do Challenge 4 there? To kill Wallside Gwynry? The spreadsheet says to check the dead end east of Warehouse 2 in Tephra but I've been sitting there for a while now with no monsters showing up (apart from the little lizards that spawn there by default)

VV Holy poo poo that worked the first time I tried it. Thanks.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 30, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Dammit Desiree, I have 4 stars with Colony 9 give me the quest for the 4th skill tree already :argh:

Speaking of loose ends at Colony 9, has anyone been able to do Challenge 4 there? To kill Wallside Gwynry? The spreadsheet says to check the dead end east of Warehouse 2 in Tephra but I've been sitting there for a while now with no monsters showing up (apart from the little lizards that spawn there by default)

Save at the spawn point and reload, reload, reload until it spawns. UM's, once killed, respawn completely randomly, and it can take forever to make them reappear.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

C-Euro posted:

You probably killed it the first time before. Save and reload until it respawns.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

C-Euro posted:

It only spawns when you're really close to 5 stars. I think it's something like 4/5th of 5.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

C-Euro posted:

Have you done the pre-req quest? You have to do Jackson's quest in colony 9. Jackson's Awakening it is called. He hangs out behind a house in the residential district.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Hondo82 posted:

Have you done the pre-req quest? You have to do Jackson's quest in colony 9. Jackson's Awakening it is called. He hangs out behind a house in the residential district.

To get him a new job? Yeah, I did that.

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
So, when are we getting a sequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I'm nearing the end of this, and the more I play the more the game's flaws become annoying.

I got exhausted of it just before the final dungeon area, and decided to try to push through it, only to find that I was severely underlevelled to fight the end boss, not even able to touch him except with Riki/Melia's attacks, which weren't close to enough. So I dropped it for a few weeks, came back to it, and am slowly (very slowly) doing the necessary grind.

So yeah, great jrpg and all that, but goddamn can I get a game that I don't have to play with a spreadsheet/internet/gamefaqs next to me so I can not only avoid spoilers but also not have to do the 'find the chest/bauble with the 1% chance of spawning what you need' thing that permanently turned me off the Final Fantasy series? And trading oh god. Trading could have saved this, but failed utterly, almost making things worse.

I did appreciate having Juju tell you where the gently caress to try to find some of the stuff, but so much of that and other quests turned into wiki pokearounds where I'd have to plan out 9-10 steps to get a single item because this begat that which begat that.

Area affinity can suck it too. At least gem crafting wasn't critical for non-80+ level stuff.

These probably wouldn't be such sticking points if it weren't basically mandatory to do them, given the large gap between the party level where the storyline dumps you out and the party level necessary to beat the game.

I was hoping to do this game with no spoilers, no internet/wiki, but it wasn't meant to be. But maybe they'll learn from this and improve, it's obvious they're trying to correct a lot of flaws that previous jrpg titles suffered from.

• Locked thread