Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

They're $5 a pop, the season pass is only available on PSN and saves you $5. So yeah, getting two eps free and purchasing the rest individually would save you another $5, $10 in total.

This is assuming PSN still gives you the option of buying individual episodes, which I haven't checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

...! posted:

You may as well wait for the entire season to be released, which probably won't be before 2013 at this rate.

Just completed the Dyad demo. Was extremely unimpressed. I can get why some people would like it, but it's a bit simplistic. It's not even all that pretty. This is a great example of why you should wait for demos instead of blindly purchasing something based off opinions on the internet.

On the other hand, the Dyad demo doesn't show much that makes the game interesting. Once you're passed the first 15 or so levels (which last about 2-3 minutes each at most), the experience becomes much different. Almost every level adds a new mechanic that lets you move even quicker, or a new type of enemy to watch for.

It feels simplistic because it is. Match colored pairs, sweep by matched enemies, boost through enemies, ride zip lines, go fast. Simplistic doesn't imply easy or uninteresting though.

Dyad's aesthetic may not always "pretty", but it is certainly unique. Sometimes distinguishing the enemies and their locations against the psychedelic noise and twisting backgrounds can be part of the challenge, but I get the feeling it's an intended effect.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Dyad is definitely pretty, and it's the good kind of simplistic. I bought it after playing the demo and don't regret it.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Meanwhile, in the "games everyone else has forgotten about already" department, I finally finished Warhammer Space Marine. I played through on Hard and had a good time with it. Fun weapons, good challenge without feeling "cheap," and it lasted just long enough without feeling tedious. I didn't mess around too much with the online stuff, but it seemed fun enough and all 5 of the matches I played were packed. I won't be going for the platinum though, I didn't like it enough for a huge time commitment like that. In fact, I already deleted the game since my HDD is hurting for space.

Just started Max Payne 3 and I'm liking it, but using L2 and R2 for aiming and firing instead of L1 and R1 is throwing me off. I'm playing through this on Hard as well so I'm dieing a lot, but (so far) it doesn't feel unfair. I kinda like jumping into a shootout and trying one approach, and if that doesn't work trying a different gun/hiding spot/etc. My only gripe is that it feels like I play for 5 minutes, then watch a ten minute story segment, then play another 5 mins, etc. I've only put a couple of hours into it though, so maybe that changes.

Also can't wait for those free Walking Dead episodes!

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Static Rook posted:

Just started Max Payne 3 and I'm liking it, but using L2 and R2 for aiming and firing instead of L1 and R1 is throwing me off. I'm playing through this on Hard as well so I'm dieing a lot, but (so far) it doesn't feel unfair. I kinda like jumping into a shootout and trying one approach, and if that doesn't work trying a different gun/hiding spot/etc. My only gripe is that it feels like I play for 5 minutes, then watch a ten minute story segment, then play another 5 mins, etc. I've only put a couple of hours into it though, so maybe that changes.

You can swap the L1/R1 and L2/R2 button assignments in the controls section. I hate using the R2 as the trigger in games and Max Payne 3 felt a lot better after swapping.

e: I'm through about Chapter 10 in Uncharted 3 and is it weird that I don't feel as grabbed in the story as in the first two? Does it pick up at all? Going through the Chateu and the castle in Syria just felt like chores that didn't reveal very much as to what this treasure hunt is all about, instead just creating supernatural mystery with very little afterthought by The Gang.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 31, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Aardark posted:

I bought it after playing the demo and don't regret it.

I do. It gradually turned into such a mess of shapes and noise that I could hardly control the game anymore due to how fast everything had to go to get a higher score/more stars. Meh.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
Oh dude it's a game that you have to zone out with to be successful at it. The second I start paying too much attention or concentrating too hard I get overwhelmed and start loving up. But if I just, like, let my senses guide me or some poo poo then I have a lot of fun + success.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
So now that the Expendables is up...is it any good?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

DangerKat posted:

I'm through about Chapter 10 in Uncharted 3 and is it weird that I don't feel as grabbed in the story as in the first two? Does it pick up at all? Going through the Chateu and the castle in Syria just felt like chores that didn't reveal very much as to what this treasure hunt is all about, instead just creating supernatural mystery with very little afterthought by The Gang.

I'm in the same boat as you - I was a huge fan of the first 2, but this latest installment just hasn't kept my attention at all.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dadjacket posted:

Oh dude it's a game that you have to zone out with to be successful at it. The second I start paying too much attention or concentrating too hard I get overwhelmed and start loving up. But if I just, like, let my senses guide me or some poo poo then I have a lot of fun + success.

Yeah, it's fairly heavily inspired by Space Giraffe (it explicitly references it in one level, I believe), in that it's all about getting 'in the zone' and playing on instinct. Overthinking it is just about the worst thing you can do. The later levels especially, which just get so complex and fast that all you can do is basically trust in your eyes and hands and leave your brain out of the equation.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Dadjacket posted:

I wasn't as blown away playing through 3, until about 2 chapters from where you are (I think) ship-yard. The set-pieces and whatnot aren't as impressive and numerous as 2, but the that whole section just about makes up for it.

I think that I felt similarly underwhelmed at times in 3 has a lot to do with how great 2 was, and a little to do with the story.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Uncharted 3's story is a non-engaging mess that didn't resonate with me at all. It didn't help that the game bugged out for me several times and that the big reveal is even more stupid than in the first two games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Renoistic posted:

Uncharted 3's story is a non-engaging mess that didn't resonate with me at all. It didn't help that the game bugged out for me several times and that the big reveal is even more stupid than in the first two games.
I also quit 3 in the middle, can you spoil the big reveal and what the final superhuman enemies are? Robots this time maybe?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

suddenlyissoon posted:

So now that the Expendables is up...is it any good?

I know nothing about that game, but I feel pretty confident in saying "no".

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I also quit 3 in the middle, can you spoil the big reveal and what the final superhuman enemies are? Robots this time maybe?

The group you are chasing is after some Demon sealed away in some jar and tossed into the waters in the city of Imam. Something from the jar seeps into the water creating a powerful hallucinogen and Drake drinks some of the water and begins fighting Djinn people that can teleport and are resilient and have flaming skulls. You eventually come to discover that they were just normal men and you were hallucinating the whole time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The "big reveal" is that the djinns Drake is fighting are hallucinations. Also the antagonist's supernatural powers are from mind control drugs in a dartgun he uses.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blackguy32 posted:

The group you are chasing is after some Demon sealed away in some jar and tossed into the waters in the city of Imam. Something from the jar seeps into the water creating a powerful hallucinogen and Drake drinks some of the water and begins fighting Djinn people that can teleport and are resilient and have flaming skulls. You eventually come to discover that they were just normal men and you were hallucinating the whole time.
Yep that's definitely the worst so far.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

In addition to what blackguy32 said:

The last boss is also one big QTE fight and much, much easier than the previous end game bosses. I'm not sure if this combined with the fake supernatural enemies were a response to fan complaints or a big middle finger or both but it was very strange.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

The water in the city is tainted by a Djinn's prison (Basically a magic lamp) that made anyone who drank it hallucinate and see other people as Djinn, so they basically destroyed themselves. Sully gets shot and dies but that turns out to be Drake hallucinating. The supernatural enemies are Djinn, but they're not real. He's imagining them and it's really just Marlowe's men. Doesn't make them any less annoying to fight, of course. Superpowered bastards.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Aphrodite posted:

The water in the city is tainted by a Djinn's prison (Basically a magic lamp) that made anyone who drank it hallucinate and see other people as Djinn, so they basically destroyed themselves. Sully gets shot and dies but that turns out to be Drake hallucinating. The supernatural enemies are Djinn, but they're not real. He's imagining them and it's really just Marlowe's men. Doesn't make them any less annoying to fight, of course. Superpowered bastards.

There's also the business with the poisonous spiders that protect the places you go to, and seem really important to the plot, but are then unceremoniously dropped and forgotten about by the time you reach the last area. I was convinced the bad guy used the poison from the spiders to control people, but the drug seems to have the same effect as the Djinn poison so I have no idea what they wanted to do there. Perhaps the spider poison and Djinn poison are the same? But that would make even less sense. And why the hell would a powerful crime boss like Marlowe spend so much time and resources to get her hands on a hallucinogen?. I'm sure there are many other drugs she could use to control people, like say, the one she is already using, with a dartgun no less!

So much stupid, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I still can't believe I had to go into the options and turn on "Alternative control" or whatever to make the game playable (it made the aiming feel more like UC1 and 2). I struggled with the dreadful loose aiming through half the game before I found out that option existed. Awful.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 31, 2012

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

There's also the business with the poisonous spiders that protect the places you go to, and seem really important to the plot, but are then unceremoniously dropped and forgotten about by the time you reach the last area. I was convinced the bad guy used the poison from the spiders to control people, but the drug seems to have the same effect as the Djinn poison so I have no idea what they wanted to do there. And why the hell would a powerful crime boss like Marlowe spend so much time and resources to get her hands on a hallucinogen?. I'm sure there are many other drugs she could use to control people, like say, the one she is already using, with a dartgun no less!

So much stupid, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

The spider thing really wasn't a plot hole and I don't really know why people care so much. When Indiana Jones gets dripped into an ancient tomb full of snakes, do you complain about where the snakes came from. It's simply a thing that would add nothing to take time out to bother explaining.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Renoistic posted:

There's also the business with the poisonous spiders that protect the places you go to, and seem really important to the plot, but are then unceremoniously dropped and forgotten about by the time you reach the last area. I was convinced the bad guy used the poison from the spiders to control people, but the drug seems to have the same effect as the Djinn poison so I have no idea what they wanted to do there. And why the hell would a powerful crime boss like Marlowe spend so much time and resources to get her hands on a hallucinogen?. I'm sure there are many other drugs she could use to control people, like say, the one she is already using, with a dartgun no less!

So much stupid, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Are you sure you're not just making that the spiders were poisonous? I don't remember anything being said about that, or that they were there for protection (thought it is a bit of a stretch to say they were at each location on accident).

axleblaze posted:

The spider thing really wasn't a plot hole and I don't really know why people care so much. When Indiana Jones gets dripped into an ancient tomb full of snakes, do you complain about where the snakes came from. It's simply a thing that would add nothing to take time out to bother explaining.

Yea, for me it's not so much about plot-holes (welcome to videogames, Indiana Jones, etc.), it's just that the story, badguys, and "monsters," are the least interesting in the series. I don't need a believable reason for the presence of zombies.

BlindNinja fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 31, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

axleblaze posted:

Marlowe had a conserved spider in the library, and the same spiders show up in locations connected to the mystery, including an abandoned mansion in frikkin' France. Yes, I definitely got the vibe that they were important. The poison thing is just conjunction on my part, though. I assumed the bad guy got the poison from the spiders. I wouldn't have objected if they had only showed up in the tomb with the puzzles, and if Marlowe didn't have one of them in her study.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm not gonna disagree that the overall storyof Uncharted 3 was the weakest of the series, but the villains and story have never been Unchrated's strong suit anyways. Uncharted has really good writing (as in the characters are well developed and their dialogue is really good) but the stories have always been an excuse to get from one set piece to another and really not a whole lot else.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
So, looking at the PS Store Update on the PS Blog, what are the "unforseen complications" that are delaying GTA III PS2 Classic from being released?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

SpacePig posted:

So, looking at the PS Store Update on the PS Blog, what are the "unforseen complications" that are delaying GTA III PS2 Classic from being released?
They forgot about it until the last second.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

SpacePig posted:

Licensing for one audio track
from here

quote:

We made a note about this at the top of the post. There were some last minute issues with getting clearance for a certain audio track in the game; but the teams at Rockstar are on it to review how to best get this title on PSN.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, I'm not gonna disagree that the overall storyof Uncharted 3 was the weakest of the series, but the villains and story have never been Unchrated's strong suit anyways. Uncharted has really good writing (as in the characters are well developed and their dialogue is really good) but the stories have always been an excuse to get from one set piece to another and really not a whole lot else.

I still greatly enjoyed the game , and the multiplayer is tons of fun. The formula is tried and true, but I think it become pretty tired in 3. Can't wait for the remake on PS4 (and The Last of Us)!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

BlindNinja posted:

I still greatly enjoyed the game , and the multiplayer is tons of fun. The formula is tried and true, but I think it become pretty tired in 3. Can't wait for the remake on PS4 (and The Last of Us)!

Does anyone know if it was Naughty Dog's B-team who worked on UC3, so that the main team could focus on Last of Us? That would explain quite a lot.

EDIT: The wiki on LoU says they split the UC2 team so they could work on LoU and UC3 separately.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Yechezkel posted:

Licensing for one audio track
from here

Ugghhh, I figured it was something like that. I hate when songs hold up game realeases...

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Renoistic posted:

So much stupid, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I still can't believe I had to go into the options and turn on "Alternative control" or whatever to make the game playable (it made the aiming feel more like UC1 and 2). I struggled with the dreadful loose aiming through half the game before I found out that option existed. Awful.

Imagine playing it when the game came out because that option was added in a patch I think about a month later. That being said, I really do love the game's coop modes.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Hmm, I'll have to check that out. I guess I didn't notice any big changes in the aiming. I do find it really annoying that the game won't save my Vertical Camera option to being "flipped".

Tangent but am I imagining it or did an inversed vertical axis camera control used to be the norm for games and at some point during the current generation that changed?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

blackguy32 posted:

Imagine playing it when the game came out because that option was added in a patch I think about a month later. That being said, I really do love the game's coop modes.

Did the testers fall asleep on the job or something?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Renoistic posted:

Did the testers fall asleep on the job or something?

I don't know, but many people honestly didn't realize anything felt different at all, even the game developers.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone know why Naughty Dog changed the way aiming worked in the first place? They must have had their reasons, it couldn't have been an accident.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Like every other week I regret trading in Uncharted 2 for 3

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does anyone know why Naughty Dog changed the way aiming worked in the first place? They must have had their reasons, it couldn't have been an accident.

I'm pretty sure they wanted to add some feeling of "weight" to the weapons, and botched the job spectacularly.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Renoistic posted:

I'm pretty sure they wanted to add some feeling of "weight" to the weapons, and botched the job spectacularly.

Wasn't that the same excuse Guerrilla Games gave when people complained about the aiming speed in Killzone 2?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Renoistic posted:

More likely tailoring the game to work with 3d televsions affected the controls negatively in terms of response time. But they also changed the way guns handled to have more kick. No idea how they made it so you literally could not adjust your aim on a diagonal at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

blackguy32 posted:

I don't know, but many people honestly didn't realize anything felt different at all, even the game developers.

This was me. I got platinum in the first couple weeks, and never really noticed anything amiss. I haven't gone back since they put out that patch, so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I don't remember being frustrated at all with the aiming.

As far as the last boss of U3 is concerned: I think that a boss fight in a game of that type is a little weird anyhow. I preferred the running escape in U2 from Shangri-La as a climactic moment, rather than the Lazarevic fight. I think trying to make a human-on-human fight as a "boss fight" is a little silly, especially if you've been fighting humans the whole time. If you don't have a big boss monster or device or something then think of something else. A quick time fist fight against another dude just doesn't really have the same effect.

• Locked thread