Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

penismightier posted:

What aspect of Ran do you find cheesy?

And what part of Seven Samurai do you think drags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

GonSmithe posted:

And what part of Seven Samurai do you think drags?
I have a friend who said Avatar is modern day Citizen Kane in the middle of class. Is this him? I can recommend everything Kurasawa in HD is like rediscovering Film.
And those who recommended the Legend of Bigfoot, thank you. It's the worst investigative documentary I have seen. It's like a political hit job cept replace the politicians with Sasquatch.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Mary and Max is great, made me shed a tear at the end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I went into Mary and Max blind and was very pleasantly surprised. It's been in my queue forever, too.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

The final 20 minutes or so of that was pure, uncut :smith: I was on the verge of tears from right around the "Que Sera Sera" until the end, holy poo poo.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I went into Mary and Max blind and was very pleasantly surprised. It's been in my queue forever, too.

Yeah, I had no idea what it was before I watched it but it's one of the most charming things I've watched in a long time, the claymation is astounding and the story and characters are fantastic.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

owsley posted:

Echoing Fishing with John. My love for Tom Waits and Jim Jarmusch compelled me to search for this a while back, and I was floored when I found out it was added to Netflix. The episode with Willem Defoe is the best one IMO. I was sort of disappointed by the Tom Waits episode when I watched it, though. I found out that Tom was pretty angry with Lurie after they filmed the episode, and apparently didn't speak to him for two years after this. Might have had something to do with it.
Assuming the seasickness was legitimate that might have something to do with it. He came across as grouchy.

I think I liked the Jarmusch one best, if only because I think (not positive, I could have missed stuff in the Dillon episode) it went the furthest with the sound effects (like the schoolchildren when they're fishing for bait and repeating lines from Jim and the Narrator and strangeness (underwater sideways camera). And the starting bit with "The eyes of a fisherman" as John pulls up to Jim, who looks pretty boyish at that time got me good.

The Defoe one led to my biggest laugh, though, with the start of Hopper's episode and "I was wrong, John isn't dead!".

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

hypersleep posted:

Some movies I like that I noticed are on Netflix:

Ghost Dog
Severance - Fun British horror comedy.

I didn't care for how much the Mafiosi were such horrible ethnic stereotypes (despite the one guy listening to Flavor Flav/Public Enemy on the radio) in Ghost Dog, but aside from that I thought it quite good.

Severance is what might result if the cast of The Office (British version of course) went to summer camp at Jason's Friday the Thirteenth camp. In other words, you should all definitely watch it.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Severance is a blast and people with eyes should watch it.

If you're into documentaries and wacky grindhouse/B-movies, I highly recommend Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild , Untold Story of Ozploitation. Covers all kinds of great Australian B-Movie ground from their wacky car chase films to their offbeat horror stuff. Very interesting stuff.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Glamorama26 posted:

If you're into documentaries and wacky grindhouse/B-movies, I highly recommend Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild , Untold Story of Ozploitation. Covers all kinds of great Australian B-Movie ground from their wacky car chase films to their offbeat horror stuff. Very interesting stuff.
This documentary is a ton of fun and will give you a whole list of amazing movies to look for afterward.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Glamorama26 posted:

The same director also did Machete Maidens Unleashed which is just as much fun, covering all the movies made in the Philippines during the '70s.

Supposedly he's also doing a Cannon film documentary which could be better than both of these.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Ran has extremely cheesy costuming and visual effects in general. It's a small complaint as the film itself is one of the finest made in the 1980s, but you can definitely tell it was made in 1985. Many of the characters look like they were outfitted by Rick Astley and the makeup and weapon effects are distractingly bad in some scenes. Again a small complaint but I feel that Kagemusha lacks these weaknesses.

As for Seven Samurai, the length of the film (3 and a half hours) is not something you can expect everyone to appreciate. The characterization is outstanding but it's not a tight film and its scope is very personal, which again isn't for everyone - Kagemusha's scope is much more grandiose, which makes its length less noticeable in my opinion.

All three films are definitely worth watching - I think Kagemusha is the most accessible of the three.

EDIT - I also must confess I'm a huge nerd over the Sengoku period and Takeda Shingen/Oda Nobunaga being the primary characters makes the film that much more enjoyable for me personally.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 30, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I feel like Kagemusha's scope is very, very personal, which is why I prefer it to Ran. Seven Samurai seems like the most ambitious of the three, storytelling-wise.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I've just finished the first part, but I'll go ahead and recommend Woody Allen: A Documentary. There aren't many revelations if you're a Woody fan, but the archival footage is pretty great and it's nice as a greatest hits compilation of his early career.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Just watched Make Believe, the documentary about teen magicians, and wanted to recommend it. It's a great look into a unique subculture, and it has a really heartwarming ending.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Can anyone recommend me a WWII to Modern Day war film that's on instant? I wanted to watch The Hurt Locker, but it's not there. I'm looking for something more Hollywood-esque, something that's not Restrepo, but more like Private Ryan.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Black Hawk Down, Jarhead, Apocalypse Now.

I've heard good things about The Thin Red Line, but I've never seen it.

edit; the longest day

Xandu fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 31, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Can anyone recommend me a WWII to Modern Day war film that's on instant? I wanted to watch The Hurt Locker, but it's not there. I'm looking for something more Hollywood-esque, something that's not Restrepo, but more like Private Ryan.

In addition to Xandu's recommendations (The Thin Red Line is amazing by the way), Play Dirty, which I haven't seen but that might be good, is available. And if you want to see one of the grandparents of all current war movies (and also you don't want to watch The Longest Day), Battleground is streaming and is pretty good (and has Ricardo Montalban). Oh, and Saints and Soldiers seems to have a cult following.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Buffalo Soldiers is kind of a war movie, I guess?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I just discovered the wonder of Bobs Burgers thanks to Netflix. If you haven't given this show a chance you should, it's really great.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Xandu posted:

Black Hawk Down, Jarhead, Apocalypse Now.

I've heard good things about The Thin Red Line, but I've never seen it.
Thin Red Line is great, but it's about as far from Hollywood as you can get.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

fenix down posted:

Thin Red Line is great, but it's about as far from Hollywood as you can get.

Yes and no. There are some scenes that are right at home in a Hollywood war movie, but many others that wouldn't be. Not to mention the cast is something of a who's who.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Silver Bullet streams tomorrow.

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Just watched Make Believe, the documentary about teen magicians, and wanted to recommend it. It's a great look into a unique subculture, and it has a really heartwarming ending.

I was just about to post about this documentary. It was fantastic. Derek's line I want to be Asian when I grow up was awesome. Even better when his mother repeated it at the end of the film. It's a good movie if you want to see a bunch of great nerds.

I'm also pretty sure Krysten falls somewhere on the autism spectrum.

owsley
Feb 23, 2011
Does anybody else have problems with the aspect ratio on some movies? It doesn't happen often for me, but two I can think of right now that I've found that always have the wrong aspect ratio for me are Woman is a Woman and Blame it on Fidel. I know there are some others but these are the only ones that I can remember. It makes them unwatchable...

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I wish they would at least mark the aspect ratio somewhere in the description. It is happening less often, but it's annoying that I sit down ready to watch a film only to suddenly realise it's a pan and scan version or something. It's happened often enough that when I start watching a film from the 50s that is in fullscreen I pause it to make sure that's what it was like when it comes out.

Same irritation with foreign films that don't state whether they are dubbed or subtitled. (Many are subtitled even though the audio still lists as "English".) I find that annoying with digital distribution in general. There have been several occasions where I rent something off Vudu, Amazon or the PSN store only to find out it's been dubbed, with nowhere in it's description does it notify you of that fact.

Also, not a fan of Netflix using the Criterion covers for films that are clearly not the Criterion versions.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 31, 2012

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Squirtle Squadee posted:

It's in my queue so I haven't seen it personally, but I've heard great things about 9th Company, a Russian film about the Soviet-Afghan War that came out in 2005. It is subtitled, but I tend to prefer that to dubbed-English.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Squirtle Squadee posted:

No Man's Land is a horribly depressing film about three soldiers in the Bosnian-Serbian war. It's excellent, though.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Thanks, guys. I'll be sure to check some of these out. The last thing I watched was Malcolm in the Middle, and I stopped when it started to get really bad. If I wasn't sharing the account with my brother and my friend, it'd be going to waste.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fantastic documentary. Fantastic.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
ESPN's 30 for 30 documentaries are now on Netflix. Wow. If you like sports, these are a bunch of good documentaries about a wide-range of topics. Even if you don't like sports that much, it's still worth checking out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Demented Guy posted:

ESPN's 30 for 30 documentaries are now on Netflix. Wow. If you like sports, these are a bunch of good documentaries about a wide-range of topics. Even if you don't like sports that much, it's still worth checking out.

This is big news if you don't have ESPN. 30 for 30 is the best series of short subject documentaries I've seen in years.

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.

Demented Guy posted:

Even if you don't like sports some of them are still fantastic. I would single out "The Two Escobars" as an incredible documentary with many non-sports themes. Additionally "June 17, 1994" is a really different take on how to do a documentary (it's basically just edited news footage without interviews or analysis) that's completely engrossing.

Among the more directly sports documentaries "The U", "Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. New York", and "Pony Excess" are all fantastic.

Everyone should watch "The Two Escobars" though.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
30 for 30 series is tremendous. Run Ricky Run, The Two Escobars and Once Brothers being my favorite entries. It's ALL good stuff though.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

That was amazing, thank you.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Winning Time without a doubt is the most Fun movie I've seen in years, just straight up put a smile on your face storytelling.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hell yes, the original Helen Mirren "Prime Suspect" is up!

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Prime_Suspect/70157296?trkid=2734348

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Glamorama26 posted:

30 for 30 series is tremendous. Run Ricky Run, The Two Escobars and Once Brothers being my favorite entries. It's ALL good stuff though.

Into The Wind is brutal and heartbreaking and will likely make you feel like you've wasted your entire life. It's amazing and I will never watch it again.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

Demented Guy posted:

possible good trade for all the giallo stuff that expired? we'll see how the score stacks up at the end of the season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Acute Hepatitis posted:

possible good trade for all the giallo stuff that expired? we'll see how the score stacks up at the end of the season

Wait I still haven't gotten around to the giallo stuff in my queue nooooo.

• Locked thread