Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

Just going to wait until the super-extended-platinum 24-Blu Ray discs Hobbit-LOTR collection. It'll be out, eventually.

By the time it does, everyone who has started watching The Hobbit will be almost done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Somewhere there is a child being born who is going to have to work at a theater that will show all six Middle Earth movies in a row.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

This is a good list, I had definitely forgotten about a few of these things and will remind people of them. Thanks!

Cheers :}

Ooh! I'd forgotten another big one. Jackson said aaages ago:

Jackson posted:

We're developing a lot more character and personality in the villain side of the story , too. We are having to deal with Sauron a little bit more specifically in this; how exactly he manifests himself and what form he's in, and how that is ultimately going to lead into what he becomes in the trilogy - and what he has been in the ancient past. That is something we are absolutely dealing with, much more so than what's in the book. You have to. People will be expecting it. It's before Lord of the Rings, so we're going to learn a bit more about X, Y and Z...

Emphasis mine. If we are seeing what Sauron was in the ancient past, then we should be seeing how he transitioned from that, to his form in Dol Guldur. This implies to me that we may get a flashback to Numenor, where we see its destruction (holy shitballs!), and Sauron losing his ability to assume a fair form, and possibly the stuff leading up to that (his seduction of the Numenorean kings etc.) We may also see more of the forging of the rings and various shitstorms that stemmed directly from that - especially the forging of the Dwarven rings, because that is quite relevant to the Thrain/Dol Guldur subplot, which we know we're getting.

The Appendices really are a dense treasure trove of cool stuff.

I will update my list with this extra possible ancillary cruft.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Actually I think the narrative is improved by enabling the death of Smaug to exist as the climax of a film.

I was never convinced that the Smaug arc could be done justice if the death had to occur halfway though the final film, after only meeting him at the start.

Now we can get a whole film about a dragon...and some other stuff.

This is why I think three films will work. I always hated that Smaug isn't the climax of the Hobbit story, and allowing him to be the climax of one of the films is perfect. It also means the second Hobbit flick will be the Empire Strikes Back of the Hobbit trilogy: badass villainy, and ends on a downer, as now the five armies are coming together.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Film 2 could end, along with the death of the dragon, with Bilbo hiding the Arkenstone while Thorin swears vengeance on whoever has it (I think I'm remembering that right), along with flashbacks/inner monologue referencing Smaug's "how do you think you'll get all this home? comments "

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

foodfight posted:

Somewhere there is a child being born who is going to have to work at a theater that will show all six Middle Earth movies in a row.

I mean, that marathon will be potentially happening for the first time around summer 2014, so that child could have been born in like 1996.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Slate Action posted:

I mean, that marathon will be potentially happening for the first time around summer 2014, so that child could have been born in like 1996.

Jackson started planning the LotR trilogy in 1995. This child must rise and fulfil his destiny.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron
The third film could literally be three hours of Gandalf washing his wizard knickers and I'll still be there demanding they take my money; I've such a boner for Middle Earth so to hear we're getting to spend a little more time there is really exciting! :woop:

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Honestly, I would still pay to go see a third movie of just helicopter shots of New Zealand with a backing orchestra.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slate Action posted:

1998 if they're just getting their first summer job.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Eh, I just posted this elsewhere on the internets, but I see no harm in posting it here also. Food for thought on what the Summer release date for film 3 could mean.

Apparently the third film comes out in Summer 2014 - i.e. only half a year after the second film. This strikes me as an odd situation given the previous pattern of LotR and the first two Hobbits.

What could this mean for the films?

My first kneejerk reaction to the news was "Oh of course, because they don't want to go head-to-head with Avatar 2 at Christmas". That would be understandable, but then yesterday some news appeared confirming Avatar 2 would not make a winter 2014 release after all. Very strange timing for this news, I must say.

http://screenrant.com/...sequel-delayed-2015/

The Avatar news does however state that Cameron wants to make extensive use of Peter Jackson's studios for the production of the new Avatar films (of which there are likely to be three). Is it possible that Wellington had already committed to a massive Avatar production post-Hobbit, and there simply wouldn't be the resources available to work on Hobbit 3 late in 2014?

So there's some food for thought. But if that theory holds no water, what else could be the reason for the release date?

Does the rapid release of film 3 imply that in actual fact, there is not a massive amount of work to do on it? For example, suppose Jackson has already shot enough footage for two 180-minute films. Re-cutting this into three 140-minute films will only require the creation of one more hour of content. This seems like a rather likely option, especially as Warners would much MUCH rather have shorter films and more of them, than long films which limit the number of screenings per day.

My feeling is that Jackson always planned for two films, but his fondness for shooting lots and lots of footage to give himself more options in the editing room led him to request more shooting time. Warners saw this opportunity to greenlight the request on the condition that he uses the extra footage to turn the 2-films into a theatrical trilogy instead. This worries me a little bit because I don't think I am alone in thinking that films often don't benefit from an "include everything you shoot" approach. The LOTR EEs I feel have a lot of extra scenes that are quite subpar compared to the theatrical scenes, and I wouldn't want the quality of The Hobbit to be diluted because PJ is forced to include almost everything he shoots in order to have a decent running time. I would much rather have 2 tight theatricals + a bunch of "take-it-or-leave-it" leftovers in EEs than 3 diluted theatricals.

What are the consequences of the summer release in terms of post-production on film 3? During production of the LOTR trilogy, on each of the three films, post-production always went right down to the wire, with RotK being finalised at a ludicrously late stage in the game, even though it had a whole year to itself. Is WETA's workflow so good now that they can properly do justice to the final film in the time they have available? This strengthens the theory that the films must be individually shorter now. I have to assume that PJ thinks that they can do post on films 2 and 3 more or less in parallel, so that film 3 can be released only 6 months after film 2.

So, in conclusion, my strong suspicion is that despite now getting a trilogy, we are probably only getting maybe something of the order of an hour of extra footage on top of what we'd normally have, had the situation not changed like this.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Unfortunately I don't think we're going to get the start of the quest to the end of Smaug in one film, and as a result I think the first will be the worst of the three, considering that the whole genesis of the adventure is a quest to slay a dragon, and we likely never even see a hint of that dragon in the film. Imagine if Star Wars ended before the battle of yavin.

It's not like we were going to see Smaug in the first movie even when it was just two parts, though. As long as they don't push him all the way to the third movie, I'd love a entire second movie devoted to the Smaug conflict.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

It doesn't require much speculation, Jackson himself said that they got into the editing room, looked at their heap of footage, and instead of actually going through the edit process and giving us the best of it, they decided to give us all of it (except they spin it such that everything they shot was gold). According to some in this thread they could maybe make a 4th film from the scraps and extra takes, and sell that for a handsome profit.

edit:

spixxor posted:

It's not like we were going to see Smaug in the first movie even when it was just two parts, though. As long as they don't push him all the way to the third movie, I'd love a entire second movie devoted to the Smaug conflict.

Yeah thats why even their initial plan for splitting the film in two was bad. What it should have been was the beginning of the quest to slay Smaug until the end of it. I wouldn't complain at all about a 2nd film that includes both the extra material and the Battle of the Five Armies, because like I said before thats kind of awkwardly tacked on even in the book.

MANIFEST DESTINY fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 31, 2012

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

As opposed to his many enthralling lines of dialogue in the books wherein he talks about Kheled-zaram, gushes about Galadriel, talks about the Glittering Caves when we see him again after he fights offscreen for 20 pages, and then is scared underground a bunch. Oh also after he is literally ignored for most of the RotK, we find out in an appendix that he chilled in the caves after the war then got on a boat with T-Pain and Legolas.

That's still better than giving him nothing but cringe-worthy joke lines.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 1, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jesto posted:

What would people have trimmed? Aragorn becoming King? The Hobbits returning to the Shire? Frodo leaving on the boat? The book passing from Frodo to Sam, as it passed from Bilbo to Frodo?

The last two, or at least that's what I would do. It'd be pretty easy to imagine Frodo just settling down in the Shire and smoking pipeweed for the rest of his days which is Good Enough for most audiences.

Quality_Guaranteed
Jan 23, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

computer parts posted:

The last two, or at least that's what I would do. It'd be pretty easy to imagine Frodo just settling down in the Shire and smoking pipeweed for the rest of his days which is Good Enough for most audiences.

Yeah, the part where they're in The Green Dragon and silently toast each other would be the best way to end it.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Jesto posted:

Wait, people had a problem with Return of the King's endings? Why?
People kept on thinking it was actually ending with Sam and Frodo adrift on a rock in the middle of a lava stream...or wait it's after this bit....no wait after here! Jackson admits even back in The Fellowship that there's a deliberately unconventional act structure, noting how when they arrive in Lothlorien the film should be pacing up to build the final act - in part from having to shift the story dramatically.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
All I ask for the Hobbit is to go easy on the slo-mo. It's the only thing that pains me when rewatching the LOTR movies.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AAAAAAAAATTEEEEEEEEEERCOOOOOOOOOP :black101:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

NarkyBark posted:

All I ask for the Hobbit is to go easy on the slo-mo. It's the only thing that pains me when rewatching the LOTR movies.

Not as bad as King Kong.

*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "S"*
*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "K"*
*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "U"*
*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "L"*
*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "I"*
*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "A"*
*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "N"*
*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "D"*

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really liked that year where Hollywood tried to sell us Adrien Brody as an action hero.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Quality_Guaranteed posted:

Yeah, the part where they're in The Green Dragon and silently toast each other would be the best way to end it.

You jerks are robbing people of the best scene.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

But it would have kind of missed one of the most important parts of the story and just made it 'and Frodo was awesome forever, the end!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kiimo posted:

You jerks are robbing people of the best scene.

ImpAtom posted:

But it would have kind of missed one of the most important parts of the story and just made it 'and Frodo was awesome forever, the end!"

Okay, out of context of the rest of the film (and the film series) that scene is great, but in the context of the film it's an epilogue to an epilogue about a story line that is never really elaborated on in any of the movies (all we're told is "The Elves are leaving!" why? who knows. where? who knows. They're just leaving).

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
It honestly seemed kind of dickish of Frodo to just go 'Welp, see ya!' at the end, since one of the subplots had been Arwen giving up on the Undying Lands in order to be with the one she loved.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Quasimango posted:

It honestly seemed kind of dickish of Frodo to just go 'Welp, see ya!' at the end, since one of the subplots had been Arwen giving up on the Undying Lands in order to be with the one she loved.

I thought Frodo was dying and going away was his only choice.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Hedrigall posted:

Not as bad as King Kong.

God that was funny. That was the moment I got over my disappointment and just started laughing at how bad the movie was.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I think it's more like he had chronic pain from the loss of the ring and his wounds, and the Undying Lands are like Canada with their universal health care and medical marijuana.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Jesto posted:

Wait, people had a problem with Return of the King's endings? Why?

People really had to go to the bathroom

Hedrigall posted:

Not as bad as King Kong.

Haha, yeah

tofes fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 1, 2012

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

tofes posted:

People really had to go to the bathroom

Is this where I admit I went to a marathon showing of the three extended versions of lotr. Because I did, and had a giant soda with me the whole time. I think by the time the Hobbits were heading back to the Shire I was cursing silently for Frodo to just taking the loving boat already so I can go pee.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Vigilance posted:

Is this where I admit I went to a marathon showing of the three extended versions of lotr. Because I did, and had a giant soda with me the whole time. I think by the time the Hobbits were heading back to the Shire I was cursing silently for Frodo to just taking the loving boat already so I can go pee.

You had a giant cup and it was dark I fail to see the issue here!

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

My cousin's friend knows a guy from a bar who works on the Hobbit and said that the third movie is going to be a Rashomon-like telling of the events surrounding the Battle of the Five Armies from five different perspectives.

Edit: The Elven perspective has 75% more Tra-la-la

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Giodo! posted:

My cousin's friend knows a guy from a bar who works on the Hobbit and said that the third movie is going to be a Rashomon-like telling of the events surrounding the Battle of the Five Armies from five different perspectives.

The Eagles' perspective will be the only one that matters.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Does the rapid release of film 3 imply that in actual fact, there is not a massive amount of work to do on it? For example, suppose Jackson has already shot enough footage for two 180-minute films. Re-cutting this into three 140-minute films will only require the creation of one more hour of content. This seems like a rather likely option, especially as Warners would much MUCH rather have shorter films and more of them, than long films which limit the number of screenings per day.

I would say this is correct. They probably got to the point where they realised they had a cut of The Hobbit:EE that was about 6.5 hours long and someone said: "you know - that's about 3 movies in length".

If they were more comfortable about there being little risk with LOTR and if it came out post-Harry Potter we could have ended up with a 6 film LOTR or something.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Giodo! posted:

...How serious are you?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Bilbo's inability to heal or fit back in after his experiences are basically the entire point of the series, so leaving off his exit into the Undying Lands cracks the whole thing thematically.

Just like Tolkien's WWI experiences had taught him that it's easier to die in the heroic quest than to live on afterwards (making the Hobbits live after their trek to Mount Doom was actually pretty revolutionary in terms of heroic fiction - and a much more brutal thing for the characters to deal with in many ways), it's the lingering pain and the otherness that the horrors of war instill on their survivors that are the real battle scars for all soldiers. The Houses of Healing were the weakest part of all that, but the need to show poor Frodo being unable to leave his experience behind him was 100% essential.

If you told me I had to choose between that scene and, say, the Battle of Helm's Deep, I'd take that scene.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Szmitten posted:

...How serious are you?

You don't understand jokes.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Golly, these look comfortable :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
gently caress that thing.

• Locked thread