Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Muncher
Dec 21, 2005
I had a fog bank holding off a 20/20 hamlet back goliath in a sealed game. I was able to drop in my 7/7 wurms without repercussions. If you have a durdly deck, you can do a lot worse than that for your 2 drop. If your top end is high, then it is important to stay alive in the early turns to even get there. Early fog banks and late kraken hatchlings really help that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Entropic posted:

Unless their exalted deck is running Tormented Soul or Spiked Baloth (it is).

Spiked Baloth, the green card? I haven't seen any non W/B decks that relied heavily on exalted...

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

JAMOOOL posted:

Spiked Baloth, the green card? I haven't seen any non W/B decks that relied heavily on exalted...

G can pair nicely with B or W, both colors that run exalted. Plus green has access to Rancor which is incredible in a base W or B exalted deck.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Certainly, but those decks are usually fighting over exalted dudes. Outside of the trampler and Rancor there's not a whole lot of synergy there - green decks generally want to attack with a bunch of ground pounders. Either way, yeah, Fog Bank is pretty good

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah, but if you've got an early pick in an otherwise dead pack, picking up some Exalted for value isn't too bad if your BG / WG or something like that. Curving Knight of Infamy in to Centaur Courser is pretty awesome. If they've got a slow start then you have the option to just punch through for 5 and if they've got something on the board you can attack with a 4/4 Centaur.

Right now people are going pretty much all-in on the BW Exalted plan but either one can pair well with green.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
W/g Exalted is a thing. Trample + Exalted is really good.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Yeah BG exalted is good too.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Certainly. I guess what I'm trying to say is Fog Bank is plenty good vs. Exalted.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

(this was from a draft on tappedout.net)

What do you think? Playable? The main win con seems to be the Entrancers although I suppose the flyers could get there eventually. I just couldn't believe that I kept getting passed O-rings

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

AlsoD posted:

(this was from a draft on tappedout.net)

What do you think? Playable? The main win con seems to be the Entrancers although I suppose the flyers could get there eventually. I just couldn't believe that I kept getting passed O-rings

You should be running both Kraken Hatchlings, cutting an Archaeomancer and probably the Courtly Provocateur. I know it looks cute with the Stuffy Doll and Divine Verdicts, but without good creatures on the board, Provocateur doesn't do much.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My instinct is to say maindeck an Erase because of all the enchantment-based removal in M13 but it looks like you got all the enchantment-based removal. :golfclap:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Besides putting in the Hatchlings, I'd cut another Archaeomancer for that Healer of the Pride. 2/3 with a lifegain ability seems a lot better than a 1/2 without a lot of good targets (you've git two Divinations and an Unsummon, and that's it.l).

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

^^ Also has 3 divine verdicts.

Vanilla Bison posted:

You should be running both Kraken Hatchlings, cutting an Archaeomancer and probably the Courtly Provocateur. I know it looks cute with the Stuffy Doll and Divine Verdicts, but without good creatures on the board, Provocateur doesn't do much.

I may have splashed for public execution. I havent decided if that card is a good one to splash or not, but it can be a blow out.

But you've definitely got a fine deck there :). With your unsummon and archeomancers, you effectively have 2 fog banks.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Jet Set Jettison posted:

^^ Also has 3 divine verdicts.

I may have splashed for public execution. I havent decided if that card is a good one to splash or not, but it can be a blow out.

But you've definitely got a fine deck there :). With your unsummon and archeomancers, you effectively have 2 fog banks.

I think Execution is a ok splash, but he only has 4 creatures with a power greater than 1. It isnt going to be that much of a blowout in that deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Casting Elderscale Wurm in Sealed makes me feel gross. What an unfair card. It has gotten the immediate scoop every time I cast it.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

rabidsquid posted:

Casting Elderscale Wurm in Sealed makes me feel gross. What an unfair card. It has gotten the immediate scoop every time I cast it.

It's pretty cool until your opponent switcheroos it for a 2/2

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

It's pretty cool until your opponent switcheroos it for a 2/2

Or prey upon a deathtouch creature, or divine verdict, or unsummon and kill you. All of those things happened but it was still a totally nuts card, and it actually made the hexproof ring worth running I think.

edit: I doubt the Wurm will be as much of a beating in Draft, but even so it was one of the more dominant cards I've gotten to use in a Sealed pool.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 2, 2012

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

rabidsquid posted:

Or prey upon a deathtouch creature, or divine verdict, or unsummon and kill you. All of those things happened but it was still a totally nuts card, and it actually made the hexproof ring worth running I think.

I can't imagine a situation where I would ever swing with an eldersale wurm into an open 3W.

EDIT: VV might want to move that tooltip out of the way.

Also, I don't think Augur of Bolas is a good fit in your deck. That sideboarded ring of thune looks a lot better.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 2, 2012

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

How's this look?

EDIT: Hurrdurr I'm a moron. Fixed.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 2, 2012

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
It's hard to tell uder the dialog box for the war monk.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

cheetah7071 posted:

I can't imagine a situation where I would ever swing with an eldersale wurm into an open 3W.

EDIT: VV might want to move that tooltip out of the way.

Also, I don't think Augur of Bolas is a good fit in your deck. That sideboarded ring of thune looks a lot better.

I swung into four open mana, including a white, for a really sick Faith's Reward blowout and a bunch of damage. It sped up my clock and got rid of his removal so I could swing for the win instead of sitting around and letting him draw answers v:shobon:v

edit: It was probably impatient of me to do but it let me swing for lethal next turn instead of waiting for him to tap out, which may have never happened since he had 9 lands on board. I agree with you though, swinging the Wurm into Divine Verdict is normally not a good idea! Second edit: And may not have even been a good idea there!

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 2, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Almost went 4-0 with this deck that had horrible, horrible mana. Yes, Stormtide Leviathan was a reach, and 7 blue sources for it is just awful. I still managed to cast it anyway. :stare: I was tempted by Red and/or Green but ended up going for this Exalted-type deck.

I also managed to live the dream of Mark of the Vampire on a Tormented Soul with 3 Exalted guys backing it up. I ended up losing in the 4th round to a UG deck that streamrolled with the new Overrun.

CJTheran
Mar 31, 2010
So, after about 7 years out of the Magic thing, I've gotten back in in the last week. I've run a wad of drafts, all of them ending in horrible, horrible defeat.

And then I drafted this

That got me a 4-0 for matches, one cussing out by a guy for being bullshit, and one game where I lost by decking with with lethal damage on the board for the last ~6 turns, held back by blockers and my burn all countered away. I think I did well for someone who is extremely rusty.

The Odric served to get hit with removal in every match and nothing else, Serra never got played, and Arms Dealer came out once, and only to promptly sac himself.

I also had a mound of more burn in the sideboard, but I can only fit so many cards in a deck :flame:.

Edit: Also, the draft before, I opened an Ajani. I'll call that a win, even though I washed out first round.

CJTheran fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 2, 2012

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
That deck is awesome and you are awesome. I will say that I'd probably have played more Plains since your only double-red cards are mid-late game deals whereas your double-white cards are on the earlier side of the midgame. But other than that, it looks sick. How did the Fervor and Dragon Hatchling work for you? Those strike me as the two trappiest cards.

CJTheran
Mar 31, 2010

JerryLee posted:

That deck is awesome and you are awesome. I will say that I'd probably have played more Plains since your only double-red cards are mid-late game deals whereas your double-white cards are on the earlier side of the midgame. But other than that, it looks sick. How did the Fervor and Dragon Hatchling work for you? Those strike me as the two trappiest cards.

The Fervor was a murder machine; the dude ends his turn thinking he's cute by wiping my board or pacifisming my biggest threat, and then 3 soldiers and a squad of goblins drop from the sky screaming for blood. The Dragon Hatchling carried me to victory entirely on his back one game, and 2/3 of the way there in a second (the second is the one where I got decked).

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I put tricks of the trade on the 4/4 vigilant reaching spider, making him a 6/4 unblockable vigilant reaching spider and then I was all like :c00lbert:. I did this in 2 games, and my opponents conceded both times.

Man that 4/4 spider is one heck of a creature for limited.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
Just lost a draft with this. I constantly felt like I had nowhere near enough creatures or answers.

I thought it was pretty good, though. How would someone else have put this together?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Definitely few creatures you want to be playing:

+ Aven Squire, no reason to leave it on the board
+ Chronomaton, it can grow surprisingly threatening over time

- Tricks of the Trade, I don't think anything you have plays well enough with it to make it maindeckable
- Rewind, it's just an expensive counterspell for you, I think you rather have creatures

Faith's Reward feels a little bit too cute, but having not played with it or against it, I think I'd play it just to see how it works. Thought about Downpour or Glorious Charge over it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I love me some Ox.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I've been pretty impressed with Chronomation. 1-drops generally suck in Limited but this one is definitely over the hump.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
In that kind of durdly blue deck, you should definitely be playing Vedalken Entrancer. If he stays on the board for even a few turns, he makes the game much more difficult for your opponent to win, and he can even win the game on his own sometimes!

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

went 3-1 with this, i don't feel too great about it. Granted that my loss was to drawing all 3 forests and no plains, but I won round 4 because my opponent had to mull to 5 in game 3 and got stuck on two lands. What should I have done differently?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

You really didn't have to splash Green there. I actually like Downpour and maybe Safe Passage there (anyone else like Safe Passage? I never got to play with it much but Terrifying Presence in AVR was definitely playable and this seems better)

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Roaring Primadox + Attended Knight + Healer of the Pride is a surprisingly easy combo to pick up in draft. High quality durdling.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

The one I keep getting is 3x Scroll Thief and 3x Tricks of the Trade

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Niton posted:

In that kind of durdly blue deck, you should definitely be playing Vedalken Entrancer. If he stays on the board for even a few turns, he makes the game much more difficult for your opponent to win, and he can even win the game on his own sometimes!

Yeah, the 1/4 body can be pretty good at gumming up the ground, too. There's only a few creatures at common that it can't block which is cool, but I guess it takes a long time to win on its own.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Niton posted:

Truth to this. I had one out, and my opponent casts Index, apparently without paying attention to him. I milled a Sublime Archangel and 3 other critters, and let him topdeck that land on the bottom.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I have to say I'm enjoying M13. Maybe AVR just lowered my expectations, but it's surprisingly deep and fun, for a Core Set. And the speed feels just about right, too; aggro and control are both viable. A lot of the time, I'm not even sure if I should be going first or second when I win the die roll.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
M13 is great - the only thing I dislike are the Rings, oddly enough. I've had a few games where the opponent would equip and just sit around waiting for his guy to get a bunch of +1/+1 counters on it.

On the other hand, beating down with an unblockable 5/7 Scroll Thief with Hexproof is fun, as is throwing the Red ring on a Slumbering Dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Rings have been mostly underwhelming for me. They're fine and I'll always play them in an appropriately colored deck, but for now I've revised my estimation of them downwards. They're just so slow. In the right board state, they can just destroy your opponent in slow motion, but sometimes you draw them in a tense racing situation and you wish they were just about any other card in your deck.