Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Bought that beweather app yesterday, haven't been able to use it at all. Opened it up and I got a Liscense error. It's been updated twice now and still the same error. Emailed dev yesterday no response. Probably a good idea to steer clear saw a bunch of other people with the same issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Thermopyle posted:

Huh. You know...I can't really explain that.

I mean, I have this enabled:

but I'm surprised that the unlocker is the only other app you have that has it enabled.

(How's the woofi alpha doing for you?)
I just checked and apparently I don't have any apps installed with this enabled anymore. HBO GO and MAX GO used it for a long time and I used to have several paid apps that did before the licensing service was launched.

However, that does explain why some people can't find woofi in the Play Store. Having that option enabled restricts visibility of the app to ROMs with fingerprints that match those in Google's database. If it's a prerelease ROM that's not in the database, it won't show up in the Play Store. That option also installs the app to /data/app-private instead of /data/app so it can't be backed up without root permissions.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

datajosh posted:

I just checked and apparently I don't have any apps installed with this enabled anymore. HBO GO and MAX GO used it for a long time and I used to have several paid apps that did before the licensing service was launched.

However, that does explain why some people can't find woofi in the Play Store. Having that option enabled restricts visibility of the app to ROMs with fingerprints that match those in Google's database. If it's a prerelease ROM that's not in the database, it won't show up in the Play Store. That option also installs the app to /data/app-private instead of /data/app so it can't be backed up without root permissions.

When I was on AOKP when I had my SGS2, I couldn't see either of the Woofi apps, and the free version doesn't have the protection. v:confused:v

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Nask26 posted:

Bought that beweather app yesterday, haven't been able to use it at all. Opened it up and I got a Liscense error. It's been updated twice now and still the same error. Emailed dev yesterday no response. Probably a good idea to steer clear saw a bunch of other people with the same issue.
Reboot your phone. I had the same problem when I bought it yesterday and a reboot fixed it. It's working fine now.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

the kawaiiest posted:

Reboot your phone. I had the same problem when I bought it yesterday and a reboot fixed it. It's working fine now.

Tried everything I can think of, still not working. Hopefully it's fixed soon. Hate when devs ignore emails at least send me a canned response back.

Dec 4, 2004

Nask26 posted:

I've got the same problem. Bought it last night on my tablet, worked great. Installed it on my phone this afternoon and it works there. But now it doesn't work on my tablet. Just to be sure, I've rebooted both devices, and same thing. Works on phone, but not on tablet.

My first thought was the two devices screwed it up, but now I'm not sure. Is it correct that if I buy an app on my account that I should be able to install and use it on both my phone and tablet? It makes sense since it isn't like I can buy the app twice, but the developer distribution legalese I've reading so far only refers to "the device" in the singular. At this point I'm willing to accept the BeWeather guys are just sloppy, but I would like to know what should happen now that I have two android devices.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

6174 posted:

I've got the same problem. Bought it last night on my tablet, worked great. Installed it on my phone this afternoon and it works there. But now it doesn't work on my tablet. Just to be sure, I've rebooted both devices, and same thing. Works on phone, but not on tablet.

My first thought was the two devices screwed it up, but now I'm not sure. Is it correct that if I buy an app on my account that I should be able to install and use it on both my phone and tablet? It makes sense since it isn't like I can buy the app twice, but the developer distribution legalese I've reading so far only refers to "the device" in the singular. At this point I'm willing to accept the BeWeather guys are just sloppy, but I would like to know what should happen now that I have two android devices.

I use it on my phone and tablet and have never had an issue with it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

When I was on AOKP when I had my SGS2, I couldn't see either of the Woofi apps, and the free version doesn't have the protection. v:confused:v
Free version seems to have it too, it gets installed to /data/app-private for me.

Dec 4, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I use it on my phone and tablet and have never had an issue with it.

By it, do you specifically mean BeWeather, or do you mean one account and two devices that hasn't caused a problem?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Nask26 posted:

Tried everything I can think of, still not working. Hopefully it's fixed soon. Hate when devs ignore emails at least send me a canned response back.

Yeah I know what you mean. It's working fine for me right now. I hope you get it working soon.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

6174 posted:

By it, do you specifically mean BeWeather, or do you mean one account and two devices that hasn't caused a problem?

Both.

datajosh posted:

Free version seems to have it too, it gets installed to /data/app-private for me.

Weird. The unlocker is the only thing in my app-private folder. Com.contriving.automatic_wifi-2.apk resides in my app folder with every other app I have.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Both.

Weird. The unlocker is the only thing in my app-private folder. Com.contriving.automatic_wifi-2.apk resides in my app folder with every other app I have.

The alpha doesn't have copy protection because you're not getting it through the market.

I'll remove it on the next update to the market version anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nask26 posted:

It will take them about three days to email you back to tell you there's a support ticket open where you'll have to retype everything you put in the email.

After that they'll ignore it for a week and then if you reply to your own issue they might say something like "Oh sorry, didn't realize this was open" without addressing your issue at all.

Then a week later they'll just delete (not close, they delete) the entire ticket and if you contact them again the process starts over again from step one.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

The alpha doesn't have copy protection because you're not getting it through the market.

I'll remove it on the next update to the market version anyway.

It didn't once occur to me during this discussion that I wasn't using the market version :doh:

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It will take them about three days to email you back to tell you there's a support ticket open where you'll have to retype everything you put in the email.

After that they'll ignore it for a week and then if you reply to your own issue they might say something like "Oh sorry, didn't realize this was open" without addressing your issue at all.

Then a week later they'll just delete (not close, they delete) the entire ticket and if you contact them again the process starts over again from step one.

Horrible, gently caress them I just went ahead and requested a refund on market.android.com. Thanks for the info!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm having the same licensing issue as well. Bought BeWeather since it was on sale. Only used it on my N7 (didn't get around to installing it on my phone yet), it updated today and now license error.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

Or they just ignore your ticket completely. :v:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Is there any way to use an android phone to display stuff from a computer? As in, plug a phone into a monitor/TV with HDMI and then mirror your computer monitor over wifi or something?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mister Snips posted:

Is there any way to use an android phone to display stuff from a computer? As in, plug a phone into a monitor/TV with HDMI and then mirror your computer monitor over wifi or something?

VNC and output your phone display?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is there a .doc reader out there that I can use to add comments to a document, which will then display when the file is opened in Word?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Chas McGill posted:

Is there a .doc reader out there that I can use to add comments to a document, which will then display when the file is opened in Word?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...2lzdGVyZWQiXQ..

I got it when it went on sale a while back but if you don't mind the cost, this will do comments.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

What are some good wallpaper / photo display apps for the Sprint Galaxy S3? I'm seeing the wallpaper size as both 1280X720 and 1440X1280. My understanding is that the second resolution only works for scrolling wallpapers, but I'm not seeing an option for that in live wallpapers. I have to buy the app, right?

I just want a simple way to cycle through some pictures as the background. For some reason, some pictures come out really stretched out even though I saved them at 1280X720. What gives? Should I be saving them at 1440X1280? Are there any good apps that will remedy this?

Edit: Speaking of wallpapers, one of my favorite things about my Evo was having a clean home screen with no shortcuts. All the applications I needed were accessible from the lock screen. On the S3, there doesn't seem to be a way to delete shortcuts from the home screen at all. Is there a program that will let me hide those short cuts? Or is rooting my only option?

VVV I have been doing that, but the small dots for the screens and the App icon is still there. That's what I would like to get rid of. VVV

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 2, 2012

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Edit: Speaking of wallpapers, one of my favorite things about my Evo was having a clean home screen with no shortcuts. All the applications I needed were accessible from the lock screen. On the S3, there doesn't seem to be a way to delete shortcuts from the home screen at all. Is there a program that will let me hide those short cuts? Or is rooting my only option?

Tap and hold on the icon, drag to trash can in the dock. I was nervous at first because I thought it deleted the app, but no, just the home screen shortcut.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Bioshuffle posted:

What are some good wallpaper / photo display apps for the Sprint Galaxy S3? I'm seeing the wallpaper size as both 1280X720 and 1440X1280. My understanding is that the second resolution only works for scrolling wallpapers, but I'm not seeing an option for that in live wallpapers. I have to buy the app, right?

I just want a simple way to cycle through some pictures as the background. For some reason, some pictures come out really stretched out even though I saved them at 1280X720. What gives? Should I be saving them at 1440X1280? Are there any good apps that will remedy this?
Wallswitch can switch between wallpapers at regular intervals. Your wallpapers should be 1440x1280.

Canukian
Dec 13, 2005
I am a displaced Canadian
Bought beweather because I'm stupid. One device. Just installed last night, getting error like everyone else.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
For those of you having trouble with beWeather, I'd just like to point out that Weatherbug Elite is still awesome.

I think I've tried just about every weather app there is and I always come back to WeatherBug. I've been using it for years, ever since I got my first android phone.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Easy way to know the size of wall paper you need is to double the width.

Galaxy Nexus resolution: 720 x 1280. Wall paper size (720 * 2) x 1280

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is Pocket Casts really necessary if you only listen to two podcasts (and rarely listen to them at that)? I don't know if it's worth the money for it or not. Is it REALLY that good over the lite version of Beyond Pod?

I don't know if I'll get podcasts later but I do know that I was subscribed to multiple podcasts via iTunes when I had my iPod so I might do that again in the future so I don't know.

Just following up on this. I tried Acast and I really didn't like it, it was frustrating to try and navigate the menus. I had given Beyond Pod a try earlier and decided to try it again and so far, it's okay.

It doesn't seem to autoplay the next track though, but I think that's because I'm playing it down to up instead of up to down. Maybe I need to change the order of the podcasts or something.

Thanks for the suggestion of Acast though to whomever did. It just wasn't for me. I don't know if I'll buy Beyond Pod though. I wish Pocket Casts had a free lite version or something though.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
BeWeather works fine for me, but yeah Weatherbug Elite is great too.

Canukian
Dec 13, 2005
I am a displaced Canadian

the kawaiiest posted:

BeWeather works fine for me, but yeah Weatherbug Elite is great too.

The main reason for my purchase was the radar screen. Does weather bug do that?

Carabus
Sep 30, 2002

Booya.
Got a Galaxy S3 to replace my Droid but Verizon's 'app store' seems to be missing most familiar android apps, especially Doggcatcher which I had managing all my podcasts, but it doesn't even have Google Listen. I think I am missing something here, is there some setting restricting VZW Apps or do I have to load everything manually.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

AnimalChin posted:

For those of you having trouble with beWeather, I'd just like to point out that Weatherbug Elite is still awesome.

I think I've tried just about every weather app there is and I always come back to WeatherBug. I've been using it for years, ever since I got my first android phone.

I just can't bring myself to install an app that had a history installing ad/malware on computers. I'm sure they've changed since then, but I don't trust the company.

Edit: it seems uninstalling BeWeather and reinstalling fixes the License Error problem, at least for now...

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 2, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What do you mean "Verizon's app store."

There should be a Google Play app on the phone like any other android phone.

As for Google Listen, I think google deadended it and it's not on the market anymore.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

bull3964 posted:

What do you mean "Verizon's app store."

There should be a Google Play app on the phone like any other android phone.

As for Google Listen, I think google deadended it and it's not on the market anymore.

Each carrier has the right to enable/disable apps on the Play store for their network. It's really lovely.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FlyingCheese posted:

Each carrier has the right to enable/disable apps on the Play store for their network. It's really lovely.

Verizon actually doesn't anymore due to their C Block license (see the recent FCC ruling.)

Besides, I am on verizon and Dogcatcher shows up just fine on my Razr.

Google Listen is actually dead though.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/listen-discuss

It's gone from the market.

FlyingCheese posted:

Edit: it seems uninstalling BeWeather and reinstalling fixes the License Error problem, at least for now...

Doesn't for me.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Canukian posted:

The main reason for my purchase was the radar screen. Does weather bug do that?
I don't know about the free version but the elite version has everything including radar. The only downside of WeatherBug is that the widget is kinda ugly (imo).

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Verizon actually doesn't anymore due to their C Block license (see the recent FCC ruling.)

Besides, I am on verizon and Dogcatcher shows up just fine on my Razr.

Google Listen is actually dead though.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/listen-discuss

It's gone from the market.

Doesn't for me.

Thank god. I was getting tired of people using Listen as an example of how Google abandons its apps, etc. Also, people kept thinking this was the "official" podcasting app for Android because it was released by Google, when in actuality it was a 20% side project of one engineer who stopped updating it long ago.

Dec 4, 2004

6174 posted:

And now magically BeWeather is working on both devices. I previously had done things like reinstalling, rebooting, etc to no effect. Yet now it is working with no obvious change that I have made to make it so.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
That's because while goons were making GBS threads their pants the dev pushed out a hot fix that corrected the licence issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AlexDeGruven posted:

Just saw this on my daily Engadget scan: http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/01/google-play-dev-policy-update/

AirPush is no longer allowed in the Play Store.

Good loving riddance. I can finally uninstall AirPush Detector from my phone.

• Locked thread