Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ashenai posted:

I have to say I'm enjoying M13. Maybe AVR just lowered my expectations, but it's surprisingly deep and fun, for a Core Set. And the speed feels just about right, too; aggro and control are both viable. A lot of the time, I'm not even sure if I should be going first or second when I win the die roll.

I'll have to agree that M13 gives some pretty crazy quality / depth whiplash coming from AVR - there's very few cards you'd never play, and there's so many archetypes that are at least fun to play that it almost feels like a completely different game. It's not as complex as Innistrad or DII, but from my experience it's almost as interesting to play in limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
I'm one of the few who actually like AVR limited, but honestly playing M13 is a breath of fresh air.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Yeah I'm guessing it'll be nice to play 4-pack sealed and not have to be like, "awesome, 15 out of my 42 cards are NOT PLAYABLE AT ALL"

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

Ashenai posted:

Rings have been mostly underwhelming for me. They're fine and I'll always play them in an appropriately colored deck, but for now I've revised my estimation of them downwards. They're just so slow. In the right board state, they can just destroy your opponent in slow motion, but sometimes you draw them in a tense racing situation and you wish they were just about any other card in your deck.

I can't get over someone going ring, ring, Primal Huntbeast, equip both. That was a beating.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
T1 Kraken Hatchling T2 Ring of Evos Isle T3 Equip is a beating, too. Especially with the Hexproof there's just no way you're ever removing that thing.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

My best ring story is turn one Slumbing Dragon, turn two ring.
I think they only had Prey Upon and Divine Verdict as removal.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Okay, so here's a question - what do you guys think of Naturalize as a main-deckable card in M13? Not as a strong card, but as a role player 22nd or 23rd? Off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen or so cards that it's a very good answer to:

- Rings
- Sands of Delerium
- Nin's Staff
- Mark of the Vampire
- Dark Favor
- Pacifism
- Encrust
- Oblivion Ring
- Kitesail

All of those are cards people aren't unhappy playing main-deck, and i'm sure there's more i'm not thinking of as well. The format seems deep enough with powerful artifacts/enchantments that almost everyone has one, so i'm starting to think it might be worth it!

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Niton posted:

Okay, so here's a question - what do you guys think of Naturalize as a main-deckable card in M13? Not as a strong card, but as a role player 22nd or 23rd? Off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen or so cards that it's a very good answer to:

- Rings
- Sands of Delerium
- Nin's Staff
- Mark of the Vampire
- Dark Favor
- Pacifism
- Encrust
- Oblivion Ring
- Kitesail

All of those are cards people aren't unhappy playing main-deck, and i'm sure there's more i'm not thinking of as well. The format seems deep enough with powerful artifacts/enchantments that almost everyone has one, so i'm starting to think it might be worth it!

There have definitely been drafts that I've maindecked naturalize and been happy with it. I've never had it be fully dead. But it's definitely a 23rd card.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001

Niton posted:

- Rings
- Sands of Delerium
- Nin's Staff
- Mark of the Vampire
- Dark Favor
- Pacifism
- Encrust
- Oblivion Ring
- Kitesail

Don't forget Rancor! I think Naturalize is essential in this format and will probably consider maindecking it in the future. It saved my rear end pretty much every game I drew it in a sealed event last night (I was siding it in). Killed Sands of Delirium, Tricks of the Trade, 2 different rings and a ringed-up enchanted Primal Clay.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
It's, uhh, very not-good against Rancor, though.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

The Lord of Hats posted:

T1 Kraken Hatchling T2 Ring of Evos Isle T3 Equip is a beating, too. Especially with the Hexproof there's just no way you're ever removing that thing.

Okay well I just got my poo poo pushed in by a Ring of Xathrid on a Vampire Nighthawk, so, uh, yeah. I guess it really depends on which Ring, and which creature.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Niton posted:

- Rings
- Sands of Delerium
- Nin's Staff
- Mark of the Vampire
- Dark Favor
- Pacifism
- Encrust
- Oblivion Ring
- Kitesail

I kind of feel the same way about it as I do plummet. Both are extremely useful in the right situation, but have the possibility of being dead cards against certain decks. Whether or not I would maindeck either depends mostly on the rest of my deck. If my deck is solid but I have hardly any or no fliers or reach guys, that's a situation where I'd maindeck plummet, since my deck just has a really hard time dealing with fliers. If I have fliers and reach guys, I'm going to care less about maindecking it. It's harder to give examples for naturalize, but basically I'd just consider how likely I am to run into annoying artifacts or enchantments along with how hard it is for me to deal with them/how much do they screw up my plan. For example, if I have some bomby creature(s) like Krenko or stormtide leviathan that get blanked by stuff like encrust or pacifism, I'd be more likely to maindeck naturalize.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Boy of Joy posted:

Don't forget Rancor! I think Naturalize is essential in this format and will probably consider maindecking it in the future. It saved my rear end pretty much every game I drew it in a sealed event last night (I was siding it in). Killed Sands of Delirium, Tricks of the Trade, 2 different rings and a ringed-up enchanted Primal Clay.

Why in the world would you ever cast it on a rancor?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Naturalize is obviously a lot less good vs Rancor, but I can see myself doing it to screw up combat math/save myself from dying. Removing trample is pretty big, and could be a good tactical decision even if they recast it after combat.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
Yeah it's not great against Rancor but in a pinch it can be OK.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

They reprinted erase for a reason. Naturalizing a Rancor is not a good idea.

I really like the rings. More importantly I PREFER the rings to the lucky charms.

What I like most about M13 is the small changes they made which resulted in cards like Switcheroo from Mind Control, Predatory Rampage from Overrun, etc. They feel fresh and exciting to play with.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I agree that the rings are much better than the charms, absolutely. I just think the +1/+1 counter mechanic is a bit boring to play with/against.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

I like all the rings on color. The +1/+1 counters can add inevitability and can potentially make any creature a huge threat. Inevitability + Protection like on the Blue and Black rings are insane and game winning. Your opponent is essentially going to have to blow at least two removal spells to get rid of a blue or black monster equipped with their ring. Trample plays nicely on creatures that are naturally growing each turn and green critters tend to start the biggest so I like that one too. Vigilance usually ends up being better than I give it credit for, so I like the white ring but it's much lower on my list. I'd probably take the black ring over the white one even if I wasn't playing black (and was playing white). The red one has the worst ability, I think, since it costs 1 to equip and that isn't exactly where I want to be. I've not had it be relevant yet, but I think I've only played it once.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Before last week I hadn't played any magic since the end of February, but I was reading here that M13 was a pretty good set for limited play (and that AVR kind of sucked). When I went to draft last weekend everyone at the local shops just wanted to draft AVR, however, so I didn't get to experience any of the M13 fun. I think the main problem is that most of the people at my local shops are really terrible at drafting. For proof, I submit the deck I won with:

Deck: Stupid AVR Draft Deck

//Main
17 Swamp
1 Blood Artist
1 Gloom Surgeon
1 Butcher Ghoul
1 Crypt Creeper
1 Dark Impostor
1 Bloodflow Connoisseur
3 Demonic Taskmaster
1 Undead Executioner
1 Corpse Traders
1 Marrow Bats
1 Harvester of Souls
2 Homicidal Seclusion
1 Human Frailty
3 Death Wind
1 Essence Harvest
1 Bone Splinters
1 Grave Exchange
1 Predator's Gambit

Display deck statistics

I got the first Homicidal Seclusion P1P1, I got the second one P2P12. My 3 first picks were Homicidal Seclusion, Blood Artist, and I got pretty lucky with the Harvester in pack 3.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Harvester pick 3? I can't think what I'd take over that, twice.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

Harvester pick 3? I can't think what I'd take over that, twice.

Woops I didn't mean my first 3 picks, I meant my first picks for each of the three packs. but yeah that means I got passed all 3 taskmasters, all 3 death winds,the second homicidal seclusion, the dark imposter and the gloom surgeon.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
Would Vampire Nocturnus be worth while in a mostly black deck with no other vampires? Is 3/3, sometimes a 5/4 flyer worth giving away your draws? It's 6 pack sealed.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I just went 3-1 at draft with a R/U card draw/flyers deck. Here's the list:

9 x mountain
7 x island

1 x kraken hatchling
1 x goblin arsonist
1 x chronomaton
1 x unsummon

1 x welkin tern
1 x reverberate
1 x searing spear

1 x divination
2 x scroll thief
2 x wind drake
1 x encrust
1 x flames of the firebrand
2 x wall of fire

2 x tricks of the trade
2 x furnace whelp

2 x chandras fury
1 x switcheroo
1 x faerie invaders

Thoughts:

Tricks of the trade are hilarious. Scroll thief is good card draw when paired with tricks of the trade. Furnace whelps are excellent in limited. Getting an opponenets sleeping dragon to 5 counter and then immediately switcheroo-ing it for a kraken hatchling is also very funny.

All in all I didn't pull any big money cards, but I had a great time.

Atown
Aug 10, 2011
I've drafted m13 three times so far and haven't been having any fun (or winning). I feel like there are so many subpar cards in this format that can just completely blow you out in the right situation (especially the combat tricks that effect multiple targets and rings). Not to mention the ridiculous rares that randomly win games if you happen to draw them. I can't think of a single loss where I didn't feel like "well there's your bomb rare and I have 2 removal spells in my hand, but neither of them deal with that particular rare, so I guess I lose" or "well you attacked with all of your creatures, so if you have combat trick a, then I should block like this, but if you have combat trick b, I should be block like this, or if you have combat trick c, I should block like this... well I'll block against combat trick a because its the only one that I would consider playing... and you had combat trick c, so I guess all my guys die".

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

2MB posted:

Would Vampire Nocturnus be worth while in a mostly black deck with no other vampires? Is 3/3, sometimes a 5/4 flyer worth giving away your draws? It's 6 pack sealed.

I'd run it.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

This is what I ended up running with. Would you guys have built it any different? This is my first sealed so fire away!

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

2MB posted:

This is what I ended up running with. Would you guys have built it any different? This is my first sealed so fire away!

Krenko's silly good in sealed, and combos really well with the otherwise lackluster Fervor. Crimson Muckwader goes good with your strong black. Add a searing spear and red isn't too bad. But even in a BW build, I think Divine Verdict serves you better than Captain's Call, and another Essence Drain gives you more removal.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

I'm playing with this right now. Game one he just had an answer to everything I did, all the time. Game two was the other way around. 1-1, waiting for some people to finish to move on.

In retrospect, definitely want the Essence Drains maindeck.

2-1 now. I've won two matches after siding in Essence Drain and using it to deal the last 3 damage. That card is excellent. I always want it.

flyingkiwi fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 3, 2012

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

Shovelmint posted:

Krenko's silly good in sealed, and combos really well with the otherwise lackluster Fervor. Crimson Muckwader goes good with your strong black. Add a searing spear and red isn't too bad. But even in a BW build, I think Divine Verdict serves you better than Captain's Call, and another Essence Drain gives you more removal.

What would you cut for the second essence drain? And I went with W/B because I felt that besides Krenko, my red didn't offer too much compared to white, and krenko sounds good in stalled situations but I hate relying on one uber card when I could play a more consistent base of cards.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
nvm

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

2MB posted:

What would you cut for the second essence drain? And I went with W/B because I felt that besides Krenko, my red didn't offer too much compared to white, and krenko sounds good in stalled situations but I hate relying on one uber card when I could play a more consistent base of cards.

You were right, red is certainly not correct here, especially not Fervor, which was what he was suggesting. Fervor is just abysmal. You have only 5 red cards I want to play ever, and they don't come close to Pacifism/Oring/Serra Angel quality.

I'd cut Crusader of Odric for sure, and any of your mediocre 2-drops, probably Silvermane Lion, for Essence Drain and Vampire Nocturnus. You're playing a deck with over 1/3 black cards, and you're not playing Nocturnus. At WORST he's not worse than Captain's Call, and over 40% of the time he's a 5 power flier for 4 mana. Who cares if you don't have other vampires?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

2MB posted:

WB looks like the best choice here.

You definitely should have run Divine verdict, and Safe passage would also have been a reasonable card to play. You should also be running ring of Thune if your in white.

In terms of cards to cut, you could probably get away with running just 1 liliana's shade. Crusader of Odric is questionable because you only have 1 captains call/token generator. She's cool and can be a monster but sometimes shes just a 1/1 for 3. And also what ultima said.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

You should also be running ring of Thune if your in white.

In terms of cards to cut, you could probably get away with running just 1 liliana's shade. Crusader of Odric is questionable because you only have 1 captains call/token generator. She's cool and can be a monster but sometimes shes just a 1/1 for 3. And also what ultima said.
He has 4 white creatures plus Captain's Call, Ring of Thune is pretty miserable in this deck. Giving Vigilance to your non-white 2/2 is a wasted card. And you want to remove more white creatures?

11B/6W seems a bit overboard since you want to make WW for Serra and Silvercoat Lion gets increasingly worse after turn 2, and the Shade finds its own swamps so I'd probably go to 10/7 and/or cut the Lion.

Now that I think about it, you need to make room for that Essence Drain but man I don't want to cut any more creatures since control seems very poor in this format without good blockers.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

He has 4 white creatures plus Captain's Call, Ring of Thune is pretty miserable in this deck. Giving Vigilance to your non-white 2/2 is a wasted card. And you want to remove more white creatures?

Thats true about the ring, I didnt really count the amount of white creatures. Disregard my ring suggestion!

Also he could also cut a walking corpse if he wants to level off the amount of black he has in the deck. It the same thing as silvercoat.

Dunno, maybe cut dark favor? Probably not because you really want to beef your Tormented soul with it and you dont have a TON of exalted.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Atown posted:

I've drafted m13 three times so far and haven't been having any fun (or winning). I feel like there are so many subpar cards in this format that can just completely blow you out in the right situation (especially the combat tricks that effect multiple targets and rings). Not to mention the ridiculous rares that randomly win games if you happen to draw them. I can't think of a single loss where I didn't feel like "well there's your bomb rare and I have 2 removal spells in my hand, but neither of them deal with that particular rare, so I guess I lose" or "well you attacked with all of your creatures, so if you have combat trick a, then I should block like this, but if you have combat trick b, I should be block like this, or if you have combat trick c, I should block like this... well I'll block against combat trick a because its the only one that I would consider playing... and you had combat trick c, so I guess all my guys die".

I don't know if M13 is really better or worse than other core set drafts but this is really the way Limited works in general. AVR was this times ten.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Atown posted:

I've drafted m13 three times so far and haven't been having any fun (or winning). I feel like there are so many subpar cards in this format that can just completely blow you out in the right situation (especially the combat tricks that effect multiple targets and rings).

That is... actually the hallmark of a good Limited format (the alternatives would be "a bunch of broken cards that can blow you out in every situation", and "a bunch of horrible cards that are never good". Avacyn Restored had a ton of both of those.) The point of the game, at its best, is to maneuver the game state into a position where your "subpar cards" can wreck the opponent without him realizing what you're doing.

quote:

Not to mention the ridiculous rares that randomly win games if you happen to draw them.

It feels like there are actually fewer of those than I'm used to. Most rares are powerful but not game-breaking, and can be dealt with fairly easily.

quote:

"well you attacked with all of your creatures, so if you have combat trick a, then I should block like this, but if you have combat trick b, I should be block like this, or if you have combat trick c, I should block like this... well I'll block against combat trick a because its the only one that I would consider playing... and you had combat trick c, so I guess all my guys die".

I think a lot of the things you're complaining about are actually great, you just don't like them because you found yourself on the wrong side of them (which is understandable I guess.)

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 3, 2012

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I despise Crusader. Am I alone in this?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Thats true about the ring, I didnt really count the amount of white creatures. Disregard my ring suggestion!

Also he could also cut a walking corpse if he wants to level off the amount of black he has in the deck. It the same thing as silvercoat.

Dunno, maybe cut dark favor? Probably not because you really want to beef your Tormented soul with it and you dont have a TON of exalted.

Why would you want to level off black? If anything, you'd want all your low drops to be the same colour so that it strains your mana less.

Yeah, Dark Favor or Kitesail was the next card I was looking at since you're starting to run out of creatures to put them on.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Thoughts? I'm not unhappy, I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Tracker will get you your spiders? That's pretty good. You have a lot of relevant sideboard cards available too.