Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I got my hands on a New iPad and decided to throw Pinball Arcade on there to try it out. First impressions: not good. I mean, the graphics seemed a bit crisper (though it seems like not all the assets were uprezzed) but the extra menu options means the list of items breaks outside of the menu area and overlap the back button. Also I enabled the post-processing effects and hoooooly poo poo I have no idea what they were going for. It turns everything bright and ugly and in no way emulates dynamic lights and just loving kills the framerate. Just, ugh what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Yodzilla posted:

Just, ugh what the gently caress.

This has come up a few times, but just to reiterate: FarSight Studios are not good at software development, but we are dealing with it because they are doing gods' work to preserve pinball digitally when no one else will bother.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh I know, I just decided to experience how bad it was on the New iPad firsthand.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?

Beelzebozo posted:

This has come up a few times, but just to reiterate: FarSight Studios are not good at software development, but we are dealing with it because they are doing gods' work to preserve pinball digitally when no one else will bother.

To be fair, they are a relatively small company doing their damndest to maintain software parity across so many platforms (PS3, PS Vita, 360, Android (which is enough of a headache to support as it is with the dramatic software and hardware fragmentation, as well as a higher piracy rate then other platforms) and iOS) as well as possibly bring new ones (3DS, WiiU, PC) into it in the future. So yeah, you're right about us dealing with the little issues here and there because they are the only ones doing it.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

KamikazeJim posted:

they are a relatively small company doing their damndest

It's true. And I was very glad to see their recent job postings for more programmers and 3D artists. I hope they get the help they need.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Werent they going to do a kickstarter for Star Trek? What happened with that?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

FishBulb posted:

Werent they going to do a kickstarter for Star Trek? What happened with that?

The prevailing theory on the TPA fan forums is that they are probably waiting out the negative user sentiment over the Xbox 360 delays and bugs on all platforms as well as the recent "trip to the well" over The Twilight Zone. I personally would be surprised to see the Star Track kickstarter go up before The Twilight Zone DLC is delivered, but it could happen. Basically that is still going to be a thing after some cooldown period.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Thats what I figured, my wife was actually excited about that (she loves TNG for some reason). Don't mind waiting until they fix their poo poo though.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
Thank god I have a mostly operational TNG nearby or I would probably be flipping out that farsight has announced a kickstarter without actually opening a kickstarter.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Toady posted:

To follow up on this, Farsight has apparently confirmed in its newsletter that the August tables will be Taxi and Stern's Harley Davidson.

How is Harley Davidson? Is it a fun table?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

KamikazeJim posted:

To be fair, they are a relatively small company doing their damndest to maintain software parity across so many platforms (PS3, PS Vita, 360, Android (which is enough of a headache to support as it is with the dramatic software and hardware fragmentation, as well as a higher piracy rate then other platforms) and iOS) as well as possibly bring new ones (3DS, WiiU, PC) into it in the future. So yeah, you're right about us dealing with the little issues here and there because they are the only ones doing it.

To be equally fair, this is their fault. They never needed to support every possible platform. At this point, I feel like they should push out the kickstarter table to every platform, since people probably donated in reliance of that happening, and then just collapse down to one or two platforms until they can be sure they know how to do things besides "Gods work."

Like, if I'm on iOS and they release for 3DS while I'm still having basic UI issues and a "kill framerate" button, I would be absurdly annoyed.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Boxman posted:

To be equally fair, this is their fault. They never needed to support every possible platform. At this point, I feel like they should push out the kickstarter table to every platform, since people probably donated in reliance of that happening, and then just collapse down to one or two platforms until they can be sure they know how to do things besides "Gods work."

Like, if I'm on iOS and they release for 3DS while I'm still having basic UI issues and a "kill framerate" button, I would be absurdly annoyed.

At the same time, 360 is the lead platform for development apparently. So I'm not sure if focusing on a few platforms would help them much (even though on the coding side, the 360 version seems great (except for the UI feels like its supposed to be a touch screen)). But I'm still on the "new tables on the 360 finally" high that I'm not that frustrated with them this week.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 2, 2012

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I've played it. It's pretty good, has a multiball mode that's easy to trigger. There's a pop-up post between the flippers that you can trigger at any time with a button below the right flipper button; not sure how they'll implement that.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Dre2Dee2 posted:

They used to have it at my local bar before I was more into pinball so I don't have the best perspective, but I liked it a lot. It had a weird button you can use that pops up to prevent balls draining down the middle. I've never played Taxi though so I'm really looking forward to that.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

robot roll call posted:

They used to have it at my local bar before I was more into pinball so I don't have the best perspective, but I liked it a lot. It had a weird button you can use that pops up to prevent balls draining down the middle. I've never played Taxi though so I'm really looking forward to that.

If they are going to include a "Williams Collection" table in pretty much every DLC pack for the time being, I don't really mind that much. Except for maybe Firepower, Space Shuttle (due to being too easy), and Sorcerer, I don't mind paying ~$2 for a more convient package to play them on (and they do look nicer on the 360 in this vs that collection as well. I haven't looked at side-by-side though). Then again I think I'd buy pretty much all dlc for the Arcade and Pinball FX2.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

they do look nicer on the 360 in this vs that collection as well.

They play better, too.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Taxi, I may buy. Harley I've played once and wasn't all that impressed by.

Meanwhile, I started up a game of Creature on iOS just now, shot a Double Feature and saw "Goal 2 Complete" pop up. The hell? I finished its Standard Goals days ago. A little investigation showed that Pinball Arcade thoughtfully deleted my high scores and goals on all tables. :whoptc:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Taxi was my second favorite table behind Medieval Madness in the Williams set. Hoping now that the 360 gets the DLC without such absurd delays.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

No leaderboards on 360 is a bummer, but whatever, I'm playing the new tables anyway.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Parallax Scroll posted:

No leaderboards on 360 is a bummer, but whatever, I'm playing the new tables anyway.

Presumably those are missing for the same reason the achievements aren't yet showing up on xbox.com (probably something to do with the fact that the DLCs themselves were approved back in May and have just been waiting for the title update prerequisite to pass cert). I imagine they will show up eventually, but I can't imagine that scores you get now will retroactively post to them once they do.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Beelzebozo posted:

Presumably those are missing for the same reason the achievements aren't yet showing up on xbox.com (probably something to do with the fact that the DLCs themselves were approved back in May and have just been waiting for the title update prerequisite to pass cert). I imagine they will show up eventually, but I can't imagine that scores you get now will retroactively post to them once they do.

Yeah, I'd assume that's the case, so I'm not gonna try for any particularly high scores for now.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Does the CV lightshow look any good on the Xbox or is it the same bloomy blurriness that BH has?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

gypsyshred posted:

Does the CV lightshow look any good on the Xbox or is it the same bloomy blurriness that BH has?

It looks pretty loving fantastic on the Xbox.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I've played quite a bit of both Funhouse and Medieval Madness in Pinball Hall of Fame, so the difference in ball physics for these tables in Pinball Arcade is very noticeable. The old angles I used to make ramp and target shots no longer work, so I'll have to relearn those.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Have any of you guys played the Avengers table pack on Marvel Pinball? I like the tables, but holy poo poo are they hard. I have only beaten one gem ever on Infinity Gauntlet. On Fear Itself I've also only beaten a Worthy once.

Is there something obvious I'm failing to do, or are these tables just insane? :ohdear:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Have any of you guys played the Avengers table pack on Marvel Pinball? I like the tables, but holy poo poo are they hard. I have only beaten one gem ever on Infinity Gauntlet. On Fear Itself I've also only beaten a Worthy once.

Is there something obvious I'm failing to do, or are these tables just insane? :ohdear:

Naw, I'm having a really hard time with them too. But I'm a huge scrub.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

purkey posted:

Well, I got the billionare shot on my first game of Bride of Pinbot and I'm still getting more extra balls than I can drain. I've lost count already. Cool table, just a shame that I'm getting a big score on a fluke.

What system are you playing on? I've put dozens of hours into trying to get this on my Vita. After starting multiball, how did you get the balls to the right flipper? I use the heart ramp but my accuracy is only about 66%.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Boinks posted:

What system are you playing on? I've put dozens of hours into trying to get this on my Vita. After starting multiball, how did you get the balls to the right flipper? I use the heart ramp but my accuracy is only about 66%.

I don't know about the PA version but on my physical table I use the heart ramp most of the time. Or I hit it up into the pop bumpers and wait for it to come back down.

You can also make the shuttle ramp with a backhand shot from the left flipper but sometimes it wont make it up the ramp all the way. This backhand shot can be beneficial sometimes because if it wants you to "launch the shuttle" you can do a backhand that doesn't go to the shuttle. It will drop in the head instead because it doesn't have enough power. You never really have to make it to the Pinbot mini playfield in a game, hitting the head with a weak shot will still get you the ball lock/face turn part.

Another tip is to make 4 shots through the loop under the shuttle ramp to get your extra ball lit. You can hit it from either flipper but it is timed like the heart ramp so you need to do them somewhat quickly. On my machine (might be a setting that I have though) you cannot get a 2nd extra ball this way on the same ball. You can still get your score limit extra ball and the one from the Bonus X figure eight loop.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

purkey posted:

Well, I got the billionare shot on my first game of Bride of Pinbot and I'm still getting more extra balls than I can drain. I've lost count already. Cool table, just a shame that I'm getting a big score on a fluke.

I think that table's just really easy. I've never played Bride of Pinbot before in my life, and on my first game on 360 yesterday I got 5 billion shots on ball 1 before I quit the game.

Boinks posted:

When the ball's coming down the left inlane, hold the left flipper up and nudge the table to the left when the ball touches the left flipper. This will pass the ball to the right flipper where it can be trapped. Trap the second ball on the left flipper and make your ramp shot. Then quickly lower the left flipper and raise it again; this will post-pass the ball to the right flipper where you can make your second ramp shot.

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
Roses are red, violets are blue, omgwtf, I love you.

Boinks posted:

I can hit the heart ramp fairly regularly on Xbox, and I'm normally not very consistent. The shot is somewhat forgiving off of the top of the left flipper. Quite possible that it's a tougher shot in the Vita version? It certainly is in iOS, but that seems to be due to the annoying slight lag between pressing the screen and the press actually registering.

That shot is my go to for multiball - it's helpful that you have time to get both of the balls into the heart ramp before you have to worry about the ramp shot off of the right flipper.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Oh I know, I just decided to experience how bad it was on the New iPad firsthand.

Seriously, PA on the new iPad is bad to you?

I have both HoF and PA on the PS3 so only tried it on the iPad just to see what it was like.

I've since bought 3 tables and will probably play it only on this from now on.
Ok so post processing is hopeless but The graphics are nicer (read: brighter) and there's no controller lag associated with playing on LCD TV and the poor sound quality compared with HoF isn't as noticeable on the tiny iPad speakers.

I need to catch up with this thread to see what the general consensus is but from what I've seen so far PA on the new iPad is pretty good!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them next time I play Bride of Pinbot. I do wonder if it's 'easier' on the consoles than it is on the Vita though.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Boinks posted:

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them next time I play Bride of Pinbot. I do wonder if it's 'easier' on the consoles than it is on the Vita though.

That could be. Table nudging is done with the analog stick on Vita, right?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Parallax Scroll posted:

That could be. Table nudging is done with the analog stick on Vita, right?

Yep with the left stick. I'm just getting the hang of it. It never dawned on me playing on real tables in the 80s and 90s that nudging was part of the game. I always considered it something you shouldn't do because they punish you with the tilt.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I wish the magna-save buttons in Black Knight weren't in the worst possible spots. Seriously, it's loving impossible to reach up there and hit them in the heat of the moment on an iPad.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Boinks posted:

Yep with the left stick. I'm just getting the hang of it. It never dawned on me playing on real tables in the 80s and 90s that nudging was part of the game. I always considered it something you shouldn't do because they punish you with the tilt.

It's a huge part of the game and unfortunately I don't think there's really a good way to emulate it. Even with the gyroscope (which I guess a Vita has too?) the "shake to nudge" option on ipad isn't analog or anything, doesn't seem to offer you any degree or range of tilts-- you're just tilting left, tilting right, or (I think?) tilting upwards. I'm not sure how transferrable it is on PA but I can tell you, on a real table, you generally want to nudge in the direction opposite that you want the ball to go -- the ball is almost frictionless and you're not so much nudging to move the ball, you're actually moving the table out from under the ball -- so if the ball is about to spill to the right into an outlane, you want to nudge the table to the right, not to the left.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Boinks posted:

It took me years of playing pinball to realize this. As long as you don't nudge hard enough to set off the tilt sensor, it's fair game.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

I wish the magna-save buttons in Black Knight weren't in the worst possible spots. Seriously, it's loving impossible to reach up there and hit them in the heat of the moment on an iPad.

Yeah, that's part of what makes it so hard. It's basically no Magna-Black Knight :v:

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

TPA DLC cheevos posted to xbox.com!

Recover your profile and replay each DLC table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Beelzebozo posted:

TPA DLC cheevos posted to xbox.com!

Recover your profile and replay each DLC table.

Nice! Looks like leaderboards are up too.