Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

poo poo, I hit reply too early, so here's more goofy replies, sorry.

CowboyKid posted:

What should I play next?

I've been playing New Vegas and SSX for too long and all of the following sound pretty good:

Alpha Protocol
Deus X: HR
Just Cause 2
The Saboteur
Valkyria Chronicles
Yakuza Series (3&4)

Pick 2, not a plus member and not really interested to be.

Literally all those games are a ton of fun, and I would honestly recommend them all. It's a shame you're not interested in PS+ because it would help check one off that list right now (I think; JC2 is still free, right?).

For my money, Valkyria Chronicles is the most brilliantly flexible strategy RPG I've ever played. The stuff they do with the basic mechanics is almost constantly changing, and it's an incredibly satisfying game that will never see a PS3 sequel. Deus Ex, on the other hand, is equally flexible; most of the game was designed to be played however you want, which means it has a shitton of replay value if you want to go through it multiple ways.

All the others are awesome too, though. I wrote the manual and spent way too much time with Saboteur to be any kind of impartial (especially since it was my buddies at Pandemic's last game and they were making a comeback), but a horribly biased opinion views it as one of the best open world games this generation -- ditto for the sheer freedom and sense of scale that Just Cause 2 offers. Alpha Protocol is the jankier, less polished, slightly retarded cousin of Deus Ex, but it's a blast just the same. You won't care that the game's broken when you're running around the room as an invisible dude literally punching all of them in the throat face-on because you're cloaked. And the Yakuza series is the best beat-em-up/gently caress-around simulation of Japan ever made. So you really can't go wrong with any of the games.

[edit] Unless I misunderstood and you already have them and are just trying to find out the order. If that's the case, try to alternate breezier or bite-sized, less open games like Valkyria between the sandboxy stuff like JC2 and Saboteur. Even DX:HR and Alpha Protocol can bog you down because there are multiple ways through the game. Just don't do a full meal of two similar games, like Parkingtigers said.

RadicalR posted:

Don't listen to anyone else.

C'mon, man, don't do this. If other people can articulate why they like the other games, that's better for conversation and might suit CowboyKid's tastes. I know you were just saying it jokingly and very tongue-in-cheek, but it makes you sound like your opinion is better than anyone else's.

Samurai Sanders posted:

You know, I don't even really care about the political things I was talking about before anymore, I just want to play this game, it looks like one of the best action games yet.
Do I have any reason to be looking forward to Darksiders 2 if I got two thirds of the way through 1 and lost interest?

It's got more RPG elements (leveling up, loot, equipment, side quests) and a few other things that THQ has asked the press not to mention until they're revealed to the public in about four days that might interest some folks. Really, the best part is that it's got really quick combat, so you're still getting your better-than-Zelda Zelda clone with great dungeon design, but it's a bulkier game. If you burned out on the first game, it's not hugely different, but it's a proper sequel in terms of scope and refinements, so maybe the formula will get its hooks in better this time around? It's definitely worth a look; our review build came in yesterday and like six hours vanished.

Parkingtigers posted:

I didn't know about the naval combat. That alone makes me sit up and take notice. I love me some cannon battles at sea.

Yeah, it was the big reveal for Sony's E3 presser from Ubisoft -- well, that and ACIII: Liberation, of course, which is probably the single biggest reason to want a Vita right now.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are there any good previews of Darksiders 2, especially what improvements it has made over its predecessor? I guess there's no thread for it.

Hope you don't mind me plugging my own site, but Vin did a good job of explaining just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, it's not that I burned out on 1, it's more complicated and involved needing money for something else and selling it, and then replacing my PS3 (and thus losing the game save), then buying it again recently intending to actually finish it but getting bogged down playing through stuff I had already finished and selling it again. The combat never thrilled me. Even on normal, I felt like I was putting that big giant sword all the way through enemies' bodies WAY too many times before they died, and all the other weapons felt like I was trying to papercut them to death in comparison. Either way it turned into slash slash slash, launch, slash slash slash, knockdown, over and over again.

Looking at that GiantBomb video, looks like Death is a lot faster. I wanted to play War that way but it never really worked out. Yeah, I think I'm interested.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 2, 2012

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, it's not that I burned out on 1, it's more complicated and involved needing money for something else and selling it, and then replacing my PS3 (and thus losing the game save), then buying it again recently intending to actually finish it but getting bogged down playing through stuff I had already finished and selling it again. The combat never thrilled me. Even on normal, I felt like I was putting that big giant sword all the way through enemies' bodies WAY too many times before they died, and all the other weapons felt like I was trying to papercut them to death in comparison.

Looking at that GiantBomb video, looks like death is a lot faster. I wanted to play War that way but it never really worked out. Yeah, I think I'm interested.

Gotcha. Yeah, Death is much faster and more agile, and because there's leveling and equipment drops, you have the ability to completely steamroll a section of the game if you put in some time. The fluidity is really the best part of the changes; Death's just a speedy little dude and you can really work your way in and out of a crowd -- and that's before you factor in that you can play the game with a sort of mix of offense and defense depending on the upgrades you choose. It's definitely worth a rental if nothing else, and I can't wait until the embargo lifts so I can properly gush/point out areas of concern.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SamBishop posted:

So you're still getting your better-than-Zelda Zelda clone with great dungeon design

Did you just indicate that Darksiders was better than Zelda? I'm not even that big on recent Zelda's but...no.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

I was only kidding! Listen to this guy. This person is a good person, wise and goony in his ways.

Either it was him or someone else that got me into Yakuza. drat you!

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

axleblaze posted:

Did you just indicate that Darksiders was better than Zelda? I'm not even that big on recent Zelda's but...no.

I don't know that it makes it "better than Zelda" (mostly because that really depends on which Zelda games you're counting), but I can say this for sure: I'd rather play Darksiders than Twilight Princess. I haven't played Skyward Sword yet. I really liked Darksiders, though.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 2, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

axleblaze posted:

I agree with him.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

I agree with him.

I sure as hell don't.

Darksiders was a game that took a bunch of stuff from other games and did it all not nearly as well. None of the stuff was bad but none of it was the least bit exceptional. As much as the Zelda games haven't really evolved the dungeons are constantly doing clever, cool things. Darksiders had dungeons that were intricate enough to earn the title "Zelda-like" but no more.

For me the dungeon design in Darksiders was defined in the first dungeon when I ran all about getting some MacGuffin that I was getting because there was nothing else to do and when I got it I brought it to a place that was arbitrarily the place where it was to be brought and it made a platform rise a few feet to reveal a new way for no apparent reason.

It all fit together in the end but it felt so sloppy and haphazard. None of it felt organic like I was working out a giant puzzle like in most Zelda temples. It was just doing stuff to unlock stuff, that would unlock more stuff until a boss.

For all their faults, Zelda games still do a few things really, really well, which is something that Darksiders doesn't do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does Darksiders 2 still have the third person shooter control setup that you can switch to? It was a passable idea I suppose but was executed really badly in 1.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

axleblaze posted:

I sure as hell don't.

Darksiders was a game that took a bunch of stuff from other games and did it all not nearly as well. None of the stuff was bad but none of it was the least bit exceptional. As much as the Zelda games haven't really evolved the dungeons are constantly doing clever, cool things. Darksiders had dungeons that were intricate enough to earn the title "Zelda-like" but no more.

For me the dungeon design in Darksiders was defined in the first dungeon when I ran all about getting some MacGuffin that I was getting because there was nothing else to do and when I got it I brought it to a place that was arbitrarily the place where it was to be brought and it made a platform rise a few feet to reveal a new way for no apparent reason.

It all fit together in the end but it felt so sloppy and haphazard. None of it felt organic like I was working out a giant puzzle like in most Zelda temples. It was just doing stuff to unlock stuff, that would unlock more stuff until a boss.

For all their faults, Zelda games still do a few things really, really well, which is something that Darksiders doesn't do.

You know he is talking about Darksiders 2, right?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Are any of the Uncharted 3 map packs worth getting? I really want to get the flashback(?) one, are those U2 maps or U1?, I loved the U2 maps and campaign locations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DangerKat posted:

You know he is talking about Darksiders 2, right?

In the quote I originally quoted it was indicated that he was refering to Darksiders 1. He said "you're still getting your better-than-Zelda Zelda clone with great dungeon design". The "still" indicated that "being better than Zelda" is a feature that was present in the first one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I also don't think the dungeon designs were better than the best of Zelda (but we haven't seen that in years), and don't have any real reason to think that 2 will be any better, but I'm still reasonably ok with them. It was the combat that I didn't like so much, and that there was more of it than there should have been.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ulio posted:

Are any of the Uncharted 3 map packs worth getting? I really want to get the flashback(?) one, are those U2 maps or U1?, I loved the U2 maps and campaign locations.

Uncharted 1 did not have a multiplayer component, so the Flashback Map Packs both contain maps from the Uncharted 2 multiplayer mode. There's four maps in each pack. The third map pack for Uncharted 3 contains four brand new maps.

Are the map packs worth it? That depends on how much you enjoy the multiplayer in Uncharted 3 really. I love it, so the maps were very much worth purchasing in my opinion, and the game is really popular online.

Having said that however, a GOTY edition of Uncharted 3 comes out soon which includes all the DLC (a huge amount of skins, a new co-op mode, a new co-op level and all three map packs) on the disc. So it might be cheaper to sell your copy of Uncharted 3 and buy the GOTY edition when it releases, rather than spending all the money on buying the DLC from the PSN store.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

axleblaze posted:

In the quote I originally quoted it was indicated that he was refering to Darksiders 1. He said "you're still getting your better-than-Zelda Zelda clone with great dungeon design". The "still" indicated that "being better than Zelda" is a feature that was present in the first one.

Yep, I think the first Darksiders was better than Twilight Princess, but then I haven't been a fan of the series since it moved to 3D. I think the dungeon designs were brilliant in how they leveraged the different powers and integrated traversal. What you saw as rote "do this just to do it" stuff (I hope I'm reading that right, I don't want to assume too much, so apologies if I am), I saw as pure, clean, tight integration of easy to understand game concepts from a studio's first project, and I found them more interesting than the 3D Zeldas (though I need to play Skyward Sword, as that looked really awesome).

Darksiders II continues to crib from other games, but the areas where it's really made strides to improve over its predecessor is why I think it's a great sequel. I'm basing all that on preview events, of course, not the stuff I wish I could actually go into detail on.

I know I'm not exactly in the majority in feeling that way, but it's my honest opinion on the series. I just really liked everything it did, obviously a bit more than some -- or even most!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

MUFFlNS posted:

Having said that however, a GOTY edition of Uncharted 3 comes out soon which includes all the DLC (a huge amount of skins, a new co-op mode, a new co-op level and all three map packs) on the disc. So it might be cheaper to sell your copy of Uncharted 3 and buy the GOTY edition when it releases, rather than spending all the money on buying the DLC from the PSN store.

Cool thanks, that sounds like a good idea. Are there any discounts if I get playstation+ for the dlcs? I might do that, the plus thing has been getting better and better recently.

I only played the demo for the first one, I totally forgot it had no mp.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

CowboyKid posted:

What should I play next?

I've been playing New Vegas and SSX for too long and all of the following sound pretty good:

Alpha Protocol
Deus X: HR
Just Cause 2
The Saboteur
Valkyria Chronicles
Yakuza Series (3&4)

Pick 2, not a plus member and not really interested to be.

I would play Alpha Protocol since it really rocks. I would recommend playing as a Recruit first since it unlocks Veteran which makes replays much easier.

You can go whatever you want but pistols + stealth is generally recommended for your first play through as it is one of the more powerful combinations. I should warn you that the first act of the game is slow and it doesn't come into it's own until you get to the mission hub screen.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

For the three or four of you that care:

Way of the Samurai 4 is coming out August 21st.. It's going to cost 40 bucks.

US release for digital download only. Europe gets a disc release sometime in September.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Jimbot posted:

US release for digital download only. Europe gets a disc release sometime in September.
I feel like this is a smart move, I'm glad to hear it's coming so soon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jimbot posted:

Just as a warning, sometime after that came out in Japan I checked amazon.jp user reviews for it and they overwhelmingly said it was the worst game in the series, a technical wreck even compared to the others, and with a bunch of gameplay from the other games yanked out.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 3, 2012

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yechezkel posted:

Journey Collector's Edition (Compilation/Adventure/Interactive Art) $29.99
* Includes fl0W, flower, Journey, soundtracks, documentary, mini-games, avatars, 30-day Playstation Plus trial, among other things

Is it still US-only?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Darksiders 1 is so much better than Zelda that it's not even funny. I've cleared my Gamefly queue for the sequel.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Darksiders was kind of boring to me.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but The Walking Dead Episodes 1 and 2 will be released for free on PlayStation Plus on August 7th.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Grey posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but The Walking Dead Episodes 1 and 2 will be released for free on PlayStation Plus on August 7th.
Oh, that will be right around when my three month subscription runs out, maybe I will renew it after all. They're so crafty.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Yechezkel posted:

Journey Collector's Edition (Compilation/Adventure/Interactive Art) $29.99
* Includes fl0W, flower, Journey, soundtracks, documentary, mini-games, avatars, 30-day Playstation Plus trial, among other things

I haven't played any of those, except the browser version of Flow a billion years ago, I'm gonna buy the poo poo out of that. That is an amazing package

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

...! posted:

Darksiders 1 is so much better than Zelda that it's not even funny. I've cleared my Gamefly queue for the sequel.

It is funny that you'd have such a wrong opinion... Darksiders was an average Zelda knock off but it didn't hold my interest enough to finish it. The sequel does look like it has improved though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Darksiders isn't perfect but it was WAAAAY more fun to play through than Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Obviously it can't stand up to Ocarina/Wind Waker/any GBC and earlier Zelda but a lot of effort was put into it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still think the main thing they should have done is reduced the number of enemies. The lock-on system was designed to emulate 3D Zelda's, but in those games you'll only be up against two or three enemies at a time, or one enemy with a shield or something that you really need to pay attention to. It doesn't look like Darksiders 2 is going that direction either though.

Also, have the controls changed? I'm not to thrilled with holding down a trigger for lock-on, or that screen narrowing effect like from Zelda. They're pretty old-fashioned.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Yechezkel posted:

Ratchet & Clank Collection (Compliation/Action/Platformer) $29.99
* Includes Ratchet & Clank, Ratchet & Clank, Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando, Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal with working online multiplayer, and demo for Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
* Also available on PSN on release day

Eh, it's been six years since I've played the original Ratchet and Clank (which I remember as the best in the series) and I've never played the second. I might pick this one up if my income allows it.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
So I've been playing the PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale beta, it's that game that's a total knock off of Super Smash Bros.

It's actually quite good. Like, really good. It plays surprisingly different from Smash Bros. and all of the fighters feel very unique. The beta only has online four player free for all, which is pretty hectic, but it's been a blast. Online has been really smooth so far, especially considering it's a beta.

I'm looking forward to seeing the final product, because I'd pay for this bugged out beta already.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Eggie posted:

Eh, it's been six years since I've played the original Ratchet and Clank (which I remember as the best in the series) and I've never played the second. I might pick this one up if my income allows it.

I have the original on PS2, but it is really weird, because I don't think it has strafing and stuff like the PS3 one does.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

HardDisk posted:

Is it still US-only?

Canada is getting it too, but yeah, no European release.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Eggie posted:

IMO, the game got way better after the first. The first is great but strafing and the upgrade system wasn't added until the second. After that the rest of the games have pretty much been the same thing over and over with new weapons, but they've all been real fun (even the arena one, which I'm still a little disappointed isn't in the collection).

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

Eggie posted:

I just finished the HD trilogy, having played through the originals back in the PS2 days. R&C1 is really solid in its own right, and lays a really strong foundation for the sequels, but it lacks a few things that have become staples of the series. Things like strafing, upgrading weapons and health, armour, box breaker and the challenge mode bolts multiplier – although that one's not much of an issue since there's not as much to spend bolts on. Unless you want the 1,000,000 bolts trophy, argh. It also has some clunkiness like having too many non-weapon gadgets that you have to juggle. This gets mitigated in the sequels.

Anyway, I guess I'm saying that if you think that the first is the best of the series, you may be surprised. R&C2 and 3 improve on the formula in just about every way. It's a good port too, as far as I can tell. The only problem area I encountered is the sewer area in R&C3, which gave me some slowdown and a couple of crashes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Walking Dead dynamic theme that came with the Season Pass seems to update as episodes release.

I don't know how they do it, but ever since Episode 2 released it's been showing an Episode 2 image.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I also don't think the dungeon designs were better than the best of Zelda (but we haven't seen that in years), and don't have any real reason to think that 2 will be any better, but I'm still reasonably ok with them. It was the combat that I didn't like so much, and that there was more of it than there should have been.

Eh, I found the dungeon designs really boring. It was Zelda-esque but had a general air of "we're borrowing from something popular" instead of "let's make something good." That is the sort of feeling I got about the entire game though. The combat is the only thing I really really disliked though. I would have enjoyed it a lot more otherwise if it didn't force a bunch of crappy combat in.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I like the Fall for Cybertron Demo, except for how bad it looks on the PS3.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, have the controls changed? I'm not to thrilled with holding down a trigger for lock-on, or that screen narrowing effect like from Zelda. They're pretty old-fashioned.

As an off-platform tangent, I've used Ocarina codes to fix Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword on the Wii. No screen-narrowing, no blaring health warning sound, no 'hey, it's that item you've picked up 500 times!' notifications. It's funny just how easily issues like that are patched out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-darksiders-ii/17-6376/

Giantbomb guys and some of the developers from Vigil showing off the new combat, loot, and skill trees.

These two things are starting to get really unappealing to me. A lot of western developers RPG elements tend to fall down to these two things. I've never been a fan of randomized and regular loot as I prefer to have gear that I personally choose or create, such as in Monster Hunter where you can clearly set out to create specific sets of weapons and equipment for different purposes. Skill trees always seemed like a very lazy way to go about character customization by limiting you to choices along linear paths, I find it much more interesting when I am able to blend skills from different sources through my own discovery rather than rigid paths with contrived branches.

I didn't like the first Darksiders at all though so I don't know why I'm paying attention this!

• Locked thread