Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Why the hell are you basing an article around Star Wars references in 2012, Jim Caple? A sampling:

Jim Caple posted:

In this summer's blockbuster sequel to the 2008 Olympic men's 4x100 freestyle relay, the French sealed the Americans in carbonite this time.

Four years ago in one of the most dramatic moments in Olympic swimming history, the U.S. team fired a proton torpedo into France's Death Star in the form of Jason Lezak, who overcame a body-length deficit to Alain Bernard in the anchor leg. That swim rallied the U.S. to victory, preserved Michael Phelps' eight-gold-medal run and possibly saved the Rebel Alliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BasicFunk posted:

I know you aren't racist, but I just got a natural urge to call Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.

Also, the dinger machine is an ugly, tacky, piece of poo poo in an otherwise nice stadium. This is my opinion. Take it or leave it.

opinions are like assholes scott yours is wrong

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Run Ricky Run is one of those rare documentaries that straight up changed my opinion on somebody.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Zeeman posted:

Why the hell are you basing an article around Star Wars references in 2012, Jim Caple? A sampling:

Ah, yes, the United States of America, truly the Rebel Alliance to France's Galactic Empire.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This is off topic, but Drew Magary has taken some time off from incoherently raging about the NCAA so he can do some incoherent raging about two people getting married.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Wait cats are a hipster thing? Buuuh?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Drew Magary used to be really funny/witty now he just sounds like an ornery old rear end in a top hat.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

Drew Magary used to be really funny/witty now he just sounds like an ornery old rear end in a top hat.

His writing would probably be a bit better if he didn't use swears every other word. I know deadspin is all NON-TRADITIONAL and EDGY, but he comes across like a 7th grader who just learned the word "gently caress".

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This piece on poker from Jay Kang is worth a read.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Grantland is pretty hit or miss, but Kang is consistently pretty good.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Crazy Ted posted:

This is off topic, but Drew Magary has taken some time off from incoherently raging about the NCAA so he can do some incoherent raging about two people getting married.

Guys who really hate hipsters but have no idea what hipsters are actually like own.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Grantland is pretty hit or miss, but Kang is consistently pretty good.
His 20-tweet harangue or cri de coeur or whatever a few weeks ago about how internet writing is no longer authentic and that there's a dearth of meaning and original style was a tour-de-force of pulling the ladder up behind you and shouting down to the people below about how they're not doing enough to elevate themselves.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2018836471_kelley03.html

Steve Kelley, noted rear end in a top hat who's been trying to run Ichiro out of Seattle for years, decided to write a nice hit piece on Ichiro. While there's truth to his headline "Mariners are better off without Ichiro" he kind of goes in a hilariously bad direction:

quote:

Last week, when catcher Dan Wilson was inducted into the team's Hall of Fame, I thought back to the mood in the clubhouse of the 116-win 2001 team. So many of those players in that room loved baseball the way winners do.

Bret Boone, Jay Buhner, Edgar Martinez, Mark McLemore, John Olerud, David Bell, Stan Javier, Wilson. Many nights they would linger in the clubhouse long after the game was over, talking baseball and discussing the different approaches pitchers were taking against the Mariners' lineup.

They shared secrets. They made each other better.

Ichiro was a rookie on that team, but he didn't learn from the veterans' example.

When it became his turn to lead, he didn't stay around after games and talk hitting with the roomful of young Mariners, who probably would have remained in the clubhouse until dawn if Ichiro had been willing to share some secrets.

Yes, because Ichiro willing the team to win would have made up for the lack of talent Bill Bavasi put out on the team!

The rest of it goes on about his selfishness and stuff and ughhh why do the Seattle Times have such lovely writers

edit: this comment is hilarious though:

quote:

Ichiro asked to be traded because the fans had finally caught on to his "me first" behavior and they expressed their dissatisfaction. Jay Buhner opened up the can of worms and exposed the Ichiro situation even more. Ichiro at that point decided he would be better off out of Seattle and playing with a playoff contending team. So Ichiro did what Ichiro does and looked out for his interests first by asking for a trade to certain teams. Why would Nintendo care about Seattle fans. Seattle built the Boeing aircrafts that bombed the heck out of Japan in World War II killing hundreds of thousands of Japanese. Nintendo's interests were making money and promoting Ichiro to the Japanese people, and that went well for several years.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 3, 2012

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

quote:

So many of those players in that room loved baseball the way winners do.

What does this even mean? Seriously.

quote:

Ichiro never stood up. He never took the heat off Justin Smoak, Dustin Ackley, Kyle Seager, Jesus Montero or Mike Carp. He never accepted blame, never said, "Don't put this loss on the kids. They're learning. They're going to be fine. This losing streak is on me. I'm hitting .260. I need to step it up. I need to play like an all-star."

"Sorry for being on a team full of lovely players I guess."

This is why sportswriters shouldn't get HoF votes. Basically any player who doesn't get down on their knees and fellate their shriveled wangs isn't hall-worthy no matter what their stats are.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 3, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

haljordan posted:

What does this even mean? Seriously.

Bret Boone just wins games.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

seiferguy posted:

Yes, because Ichiro willing the team to win would have made up for the lack of talent Bill Bavasi put out on the team!

The rest of it goes on about his selfishness and stuff and ughhh why do the Seattle Times have such lovely writers

edit: this comment is hilarious though:

Ah yes the lesson 3-time Japanese MVP and 9 year pro, uh I mean ROOKIE Ichiro Suzuki needed was to learn how to win from noted star veterans like Bret Boone, Mark McLemore and Stan Javier.

I kind of wish he had mentioned a player that is actually younger than Ichiro, but it looks like Bell is about a year older.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 3, 2012

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Badfinger posted:

Ah yes the lesson 3-time Japanese MVP and 9 year pro, uh I mean ROOKIE Ichiro Suzuki needed to learn how to win from noted star veterans like Bret Boone, Mark McLemore and Stan Javier.

I kind of wish he had mentioned a player that is actually younger than Ichiro, but it looks like Bell is about a year older.

I think the writer was mad that Suzuki didn't share some of his veteran know-how with the younger, shittier players. Know-how like "Hit the goddamn ball every now and then" or "Try not to suck so bad at baseball."

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
The real question here is why the hell is Dan Wilson in a team's Hall of Fame?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Badfinger posted:

He's respected for his defense, and he gave back to the community a lot while here (and continues to do so).

Not saying he should be in there but that's the reasoning at least.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

seiferguy posted:

He's respected for his defense, and he gave back to the community a lot while here (and continues to do so).

Not saying he should be in there but that's the reasoning at least.

Sorry, the correct answer is "It's the Hall of FAME, not the Hall of Baseball Accomplishment. Dan Wilson is a lot more famous than YOU are, isn't he?"

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
It's because Team Hall of Fames actually should be Hall of Fames/This Dude Was Important because who the gently caress cares, the Yankees HoF is the only one that's getting overcrowded anyway

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The Yankees don't have a Hall of Fame, if you mean Monument Park it's missing a fuckton of people who would normally be in team halls so I don't think it counts.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
As much as I dislike them I am pretty sure the Yankees are an exception to teams honoring too many of their players. The only baseball players honored in Monument Park who aren't in the Hall of Fame are Ron Guidry, Don Mattingly, Allie Reynolds, Roger Maris, Thurman Munson, and Elston Howard. And Billy Martin, I guess.

Many of those guys have really solid cases for being in the BBHOF as it is. There's nothing wrong there.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Overcrowded doesn't mean they don't belong there it means that it's packed.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I guess with Bob Boone on the Phillies' Wall of Fame it's a case of throwing stones while living in a glass house. Also Juan Samuel.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
If your team Hall of Fame doesn't weight fan favoritishness highly, it's dumb.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Prisoner posted:

As much as I dislike them I am pretty sure the Yankees are an exception to teams honoring too many of their players. The only baseball players honored in Monument Park who aren't in the Hall of Fame are Ron Guidry, Don Mattingly, Allie Reynolds, Roger Maris, Thurman Munson, and Elston Howard. And Billy Martin, I guess.

Many of those guys have really solid cases for being in the BBHOF as it is. There's nothing wrong there.

I don't think Munson really has a case. Maybe if he were eligible.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So Jeff Sullivan left Baseball Nation to become the 483rd writer on Fangraphs. This increases the number of good and/or interesting FG writers to...1? Maybe 2, if you're the type that hate-read's Cameron's stuff.

Meanwhile, Al Yellon still has a job for some reason.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I got bored and randomly clicked on ESPN, due to them showing some NFL kickoff show...

...which was followed by an ESPN "First take" special on debating the merits of a certain backup QB.

Does ESPN honestly think they can't find other, more creative ways to fill programming? Going for the lowest common denominator is not always the best way to go about things.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Badfinger posted:

I was at a game that went 16 innings and got to watch his hilarious attempts at a change up when he 'pitched'. I think he got the loss. That's hall of fame baby!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also, wasn't Ichiro still learning english during his first year? Doesn't he still speak through an interpreter now at press conferences now? How the gently caress was he supposed to impart wisdom or learn through a language he doesn't fully understand?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Why would Nintendo care about Seattle fans

Does this guy know that Nintendo of America is in Redmond WA?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also, wasn't Ichiro still learning english during his first year? Doesn't he still speak through an interpreter now at press conferences now? How the gently caress was he supposed to impart wisdom or learn through a language he doesn't fully understand?

Ichiro has spoken fluent English since before coming over, but he prefers to conduct interviews through a translator anyway. Not uncommon for foreign players who didn't come up through the American minor league system.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Here is a surprisingly good article from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on the Cardinals not having any black players on their roster. Slate did a similar piece a while back (about MLB at large, not the Cardinals specifically) but I like this one better.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

I got bored and randomly clicked on ESPN, due to them showing some NFL kickoff show...

...which was followed by an ESPN "First take" special on debating the merits of a certain backup QB.

Does ESPN honestly think they can't find other, more creative ways to fill programming? Going for the lowest common denominator is not always the best way to go about things.

Its shallow and almost completely devoid of substance but find another network that can generate similar interest for a show in the mid day time slot.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

commy gun posted:

Its shallow and almost completely devoid of substance but find another network that can generate similar interest for a show in the mid day time slot.

ABC?

Meanwhile, it looks like the sale of Bleacher Report to Turner/Time Warner is complete. Yes, you can make millions doing that:

http://allthingsd.com/20120806/turner-buys-bleacher-report/

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This is the picture Jon Morosi is using for a Roy Oswalt article:

Sports journalism.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
The list of Best American Sports Writing for 2012 just came out. I'd say I've read 3/4 of the pieces already.

The Thomas Lake and S.L. Price selections were incredible; I really enjoyed The Heart of Football Beats in Aliquippa. The lone Deadspin selection is one of the best pieces the site has ever run.

There is a distinct lack of Grantland on the page, which strikes me as...deserved. I can think of three or four pieces worthy of consideration but none better than the ones here.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

The list of Best American Sports Writing for 2012 just came out. I'd say I've read 3/4 of the pieces already.

The Thomas Lake and S.L. Price selections were incredible; I really enjoyed The Heart of Football Beats in Aliquippa. The lone Deadspin selection is one of the best pieces the site has ever run.

There is a distinct lack of Grantland on the page, which strikes me as...deserved. I can think of three or four pieces worthy of consideration but none better than the ones here.

There's a lot of good stuff on there and a few I haven't read so hooray for afternoon work reading. The Tendulkar article from ESPN is really interesting.

Grantland has had a few good pieces pop up in the last year. The only one I'd really encourage people to read is this piece about an 1810 boxing match. It's fascinating stuff and I think a glimmer of what Grantland could do if Bill Simmons fell into a volcano tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Alex Belth is a really good writer so I can almost forgive him for turning Bronx Banter into what it is today. But I still want the old baseball site back :cry: