Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Chainclaw posted:

I was confused why there was even a second Shadowrun Kickstarter, I thought it was a double dip for a while, like Star Command. I imagine I wasn't the only person in this boat.
Yep. I really don't need two Shadowrun games, and in general, I loathe MMOs, and especially loathe F2P MMOs. I'd assume a lot of folks are similar.

To me, Shadowrun is an RPG, not a generic IP to slap on an MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Shalinor posted:

Yep. I really don't need two Shadowrun games, and in general, I loathe MMOs, and especially loathe F2P MMOs. I'd assume a lot of folks are similar.

"MMO" used to always precede "RPG," and the earlier kickstarted Shadowrun game isn't an RPG, it's a turn based tactics game, so if anything this is slightly closer to the roots than Weisman's game.

But yeah, I pledged for the first Shadowrun but not for this one because I don't like MMOs at all.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

TychoCelchuuu posted:

"MMO" used to always precede "RPG," and the earlier kickstarted Shadowrun game isn't an RPG, it's a turn based tactics game, so if anything this is slightly closer to the roots than Weisman's game.

But yeah, I pledged for the first Shadowrun but not for this one because I don't like MMOs at all.

...what? You do realize that there were RPGs before MMORPGs, right? Actually nothing in your post makes sense at all except the last line so I'm just going to assume it was a very confusing troll.

Anyway, I was introduced to SR by the novels and only started playing after reading them. So to me Shadowrun is more a universe than a game. So it's not that weird to see a MMO based on it rather than a standard RPG. I gave them $25 so it's no huge loss if it turns out not so great.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Shalinor posted:

I stopped hating f2p MMOs when I started thinking about them as free coop RPGs to play with my friends while we hang out and drink beer or whatever. They keep us entertained for a week or two until we move on to something else, and they're actually quite brilliant when used like that, because you don't run up against the barrier of having that one person in your circle of friends who doesn't want to spend the cash for whatever game everyone wants to play. Just move on when the novelty wears out.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 3, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

octoroon posted:

I stopped hating f2p MMOs when I started thinking about them as free coop RPGs to play with my friends while we hang out and drink beer or whatever. They keep us entertained for a week or two until we move on to something else, and they're actually quite brilliant when used like that, because you don't run up against the barrier of having that one person in your circle of friends who doesn't want to spend the cash for whatever game everyone wants to play. Just move on when the novelty wears out.
Uh, I go out with friends. And drink in person. And play board games.

... ok, I sounded really cool there until the third one.

I think the issue is really just "another Shadowrun game". That game in 6 months to a year probably would have done better than that game immediately after Shadowrun got huge press for being so highly funded.

In unrelated news, I am super happy that Volgarr got funded. I'm still crossing my fingers for an iOS release, though.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Shalinor posted:

I think the issue is really just "another Shadowrun game". That game in 6 months to a year probably would have done better than that game immediately after Shadowrun got huge press for being so highly funded.

In unrelated news, I am super happy that Volgarr got funded. I'm still crossing my fingers for an iOS release, though.

Shadowrun Online has been in development a LOT longer that Wiseman's game, and it shows. Watch the gameplay video.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Alkanos posted:

...what? You do realize that there were RPGs before MMORPGs, right? Actually nothing in your post makes sense at all except the last line so I'm just going to assume it was a very confusing troll.
Sorry, I phrased that badly. MMO always preceded RPG when MMO appeared. Obviously there are RPGs that aren't MMOs. I just meant that every MMO was an RPG for a while and almost all MMOs are still RPGs. I haven't paid much attention to the Shadowrun MMO but it looks closer to Shadowrun proper than the Weisman tactics game, because Shadorwun proper is an RPG and most MMOs, if they aren't straight up RPGs, still owe a lot to the genre.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!
The Project Giana people just posted a new gameplay video. Looks pretty cool - like a mixture of Trine and Sonic.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I know that video made me pledge $25 for the soundtrack level.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Thewittyname posted:

The Project Giana people just posted a new gameplay video. Looks pretty cool - like a mixture of Trine and Sonic.

I had absolutely no interest in this game until this video. The seamless music swapping is excellent.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Thewittyname posted:

Wow that looks absolutely fantastic, I'm a sucker for platformers and the shifting mechanic looks really great in action, with everything smoothly changing instead of just swapping in place.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That actually is a pretty interesting video. Platformers aren't really my thing anymore but that looks very good.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Shalinor posted:

Didn't somebody dig up an old press release from 2011, during the Shadowrun Returns kickstarter, that pretty much said "We're making this game only to drum up interest for our impending MMO launch". Is this that MMO or a completely different one that just happened to come along?

If it is -that- MMO, it seems rather dumb to launch the kickstarter before Returns has even released a screenshot. To say the least.

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 4, 2012

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thewittyname posted:

Here's the kickstarter page. Best part for people who enjoy making fun of kickstarter:

quote:

We've received a lot of requests about an OUYA port, and we can deliver! If we hit the stretch goal of $300,000, we will provide an OUYA version of Project Giana, to be released in the first half of 2013. More details as soon as we hear back from the OUYA team!

And at the $250 level:

quote:

The previous reward tier plus a Giana backer T-shirt (final design will be shown in a future update) with free shipping and your name in the credits. Send us a digital picture of yourself, and you’ll get it back with Giana herself kissing you on the cheek. Cute or punk – your choice. (Inappropriate pictures will need to be resubmitted.)

Still, this project looks awesome. According to the details Cute Giana's power to float and Punk Giana's fireball are available at any time, but when you activate it the world and your character automatically flips (and you can flip it yourself any time). While I'm not kickstarting this one, I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it's actual release.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Thewittyname posted:

You're not kidding. The level design just outright screams sonic the hedgehog. It looks really good.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
The guy behind the Oculus Rift is on stage at Quakecon right now talking about it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Shalinor posted:

Huh. My knee jerk reaction is that such a thing is stupid, but... given how bad gamer culture is on average, I suppose having an event like this to promote thought the other way might make sense.

I'm kind of surprised that Anna Anthropy's name isn't tied to this yet.

She is actually super-critical of it for the reason you half-mentioned (it seeming gay-men focused instead of all-inclusive) and despite being so close is dodging it like the plague thus far.

Squidder
Mar 19, 2003

King of the Cat Tree

Oven Wrangler
A bunch of guys I used to work with just put up their Kickstarter for Eternal Fate yesterday. They're showing it at Quakecon and I'm sure they'll post in here if you have any questions about it once they get done for the night.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Kontrabida's posted a big update talking about the improvements they're making to their animation processes and the bonus stretch goal protagonists, as well as showcasing some new voiceacting clips and Puppet Master videos.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

SupSuper posted:

Wow that looks absolutely fantastic, I'm a sucker for platformers and the shifting mechanic looks really great in action, with everything smoothly changing instead of just swapping in place.
No kidding; the way that when you shift & do the badass fireball move & at the same time it switches to the kickass metal-ized track looks like something that would be a very visceral experience. The enemies seem stupid as hell, though. Hopefully that's just 'cause it's early though either way, that's not a showstopper.

Squidder posted:

A bunch of guys I used to work with just put up their Kickstarter for Eternal Fate yesterday. They're showing it at Quakecon and I'm sure they'll post in here if you have any questions about it once they get done for the night.

That actually looks like it could be really cool. Reminds me of that Warhammer moba-type game, but with a world, towns, etc. If they do a better job than the Warhammer guys did, it could be really cool, like a fantasy SMNC.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shoreboundstudios/shadow-remnants also just popped up. Looks much less polished than the best KS projects, but I'm a huge sucker for tactical RPG's like FFT & Disgaea, and if you are too you might wanna give it a look. The terrain deformation stuff looks cool, anyway.

edit: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elizabethsampat/tales-of-fallen-london-the-silver-tree/
oh wow

I guess this is a new entry in some kind of already popular flavor-rich browser-based card-story game? These guys just launched at they're already at 170%+ funded. Granted that's only $17,000 but it looks like this'll be another one to blow past their goal.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 4, 2012

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Some of my mates have launched a Kickstarter for their tactical roleplaying game, Expeditions: Conquistador

The game was previously, and due to lack of ressources, released on Windows Phone 7 and sold reasonably. Now they want to make a proper Windows version.

If anyone care about that, the game designer on Expeditions is Jonas Wæver, who was the lead designer on The Nameless Mod (an (in)famous Deus Ex mod, which is both praised for its gameplay and criticized for the setting and humor; the internet and such)
Truth be told, I haven't tried the game (seeing as I don't have a Windows 7 phone), but I think it looks kinda neat.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

XboxPants posted:

edit: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elizabethsampat/tales-of-fallen-london-the-silver-tree/
oh wow

I guess this is a new entry in some kind of already popular flavor-rich browser-based card-story game? These guys just launched at they're already at 170%+ funded. Granted that's only $17,000 but it looks like this'll be another one to blow past their goal.

They're the same guys that run Echo Bazaar/Fallen London. If I hadn't lost interest in Fallen London, I'd be tempted by this, they do good writing.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Rush Bros is actually starting to look pretty cool, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG9-tMs6jtU

I don't think I've really seen a music-based platformer before. I guess Bit Trip Runner would be similar to what they're doing here, and that was a pretty great game. But they got the "load in your music library" feature and level elements will then coordinate to the beat of the music. Their first level looked fairly questionable to me, but this one actually shows some promise, especially since they acknowledge that the current art they have isn't really workable. With really stylish art this game could be great, but it hasn't really gotten any attention yet.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 4, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Antitonic posted:

They're the same guys that run Echo Bazaar/Fallen London. If I hadn't lost interest in Fallen London, I'd be tempted by this, they do good writing.

Their writing is great but they don't seem to know how to make a game fun at all, plus Echo Bazaar had such a lovely "energy" system that allowed for like 5 actions that were refilled like every 20 minutes.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Tezzeract posted:

This is awesome and is pretty much the exact thing that I'd want to play. If the MTG fans and Ascension fans get onboard, it shouldn't have a difficult time getting funded.

Maybe to put it over the top, add Sid Meier for his Shandalar experience :getin:

I'd love a Shandalar style game; even if it wasn't M:TG it'd be nice to see another game like it.

Related to the topic (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1965800643/solforge-digital-trading-card-game) This looks amazing and Ascension was pretty drat fun (just picked it up for iOS, seriously considering buying the paper version as well.)

They've shown that they can get some good (not top-tier, but at least professional-grade) art, interesting mechanics, and fairly simple gameplay. I'm excited. Backed SolForge for 25 bucks. :)

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

I received The Banner Saga poster yesterday and opened the package now, preparing myself for posting a happy post but the poster was slightly damaged in the edges and even slightly torn one place. I should be able to smooth out the dents and when I put the poster up on my wall it shouldn't be noticeable at all, but this was kind of disappointing, especially considering how cool the poster is.

Fake edit: After looking at the poster a second time I want to make it clear that the poster looks really good and I'm still happy that I got it. Also it's huge.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Something from the RPG side: Expeditions: Conquistador. A "story-driven tactical roleplaying game" set in the very early Spanish exploration of the New World. The concept being that the player is a conquistador who edges out Cortez and is leading a Spanish expedition into Mexico. The developers are asking for $70,000 to finish development, they've put 6 months of work into the game already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E8CwIdCkcs

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

Their writing is great but they don't seem to know how to make a game fun at all, plus Echo Bazaar had such a lovely "energy" system that allowed for like 5 actions that were refilled like every 20 minutes.

I played Echo Bazaar for over a year, but couldn't stand more than a week of the wanky tie-in they had with some pretentious novel I can't remember the name of. That one was even worse, because the content was tiered based on the number of people you shanghaied into playing.

I might have backed this one, but the exclusive additional content for higher tiers just left me cold.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The accent pretty much won me over :allears: The game seems to be following in the footsteps of the Banner saga, which is also a good thing. Dropped $30 on this for now.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Man, I should have linked to that video in my post above. Then it would have been noticed :(

But it does look nice and I'm happy for these guys, that they've actually managed to get to this phase.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
On the Kickstarter page they say it's sort of a choose your own adventure thing, where you can decide to either conquer the natives or try to make peace with them. I think it's funny picturing a group of Conquistadors sailing all the way over the ocean just to tell the natives "yo, we don't want to fight you, but good luck with those infectious diseases that we've just transmitted to you, peace bro" even though they could've just stayed in Spain, but whatever.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Old-school game designer Chris Crawford has a project up -- an environmentalist sim. The idea is to remake his old game Balance of the Planet with brutal realism, and make it available for free online. The team already has a very rough pre-alpha version running linked from the project page, plus a year's worth of design essays.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
What's the general consensus about Jack Houston and the Necronauts? I think the idea sounds pretty interesting but don't like how he spends more time talking about backer rewards and the team's background in the visual effects industry than the actual game. They have 4 days to go and it looks like they'll just make it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

On the Kickstarter page they say it's sort of a choose your own adventure thing, where you can decide to either conquer the natives or try to make peace with them. I think it's funny picturing a group of Conquistadors sailing all the way over the ocean just to tell the natives "yo, we don't want to fight you, but good luck with those infectious diseases that we've just transmitted to you, peace bro" even though they could've just stayed in Spain, but whatever.

I mean there's unclaimed territory and all sorts of goods that could be traded with the natives so I don't quite understand what you're getting at. Aside from the diseases that is

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's just weird for me to think of a tactical combat game where you play a conquistador suddenly turning into a "let's trade goods with each other" sort of thing. "Conquistador" is not Spanish for "peaceful merchant."

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Fuschia tude posted:

Old-school game designer Chris Crawford has a project up -- an environmentalist sim. The idea is to remake his old game Balance of the Planet with brutal realism, and make it available for free online. The team already has a very rough pre-alpha version running linked from the project page, plus a year's worth of design essays.

Thanks! That kind of thing is right up my alley.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's just weird for me to think of a tactical combat game where you play a conquistador suddenly turning into a "let's trade goods with each other" sort of thing. "Conquistador" is not Spanish for "peaceful merchant."

I don't know; IIRC, some priests were against the way the conquistadors treated the natives. Maybe if you RP as a goodly churchman, the game could turn out that way.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Azure_Horizon posted:

This isn't a videogame, per se, but it's gaming-related. There's a Kickstarter for a new gaming convention called Gaymercon.

Dude why isn't there a time management/sim game for gaming conventions.

E3Dash.

I was really disappointed when this was just some "actually meeting people" thing. :(

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

I don't know; IIRC, some priests were against the way the conquistadors treated the natives. Maybe if you RP as a goodly churchman, the game could turn out that way.

There were, it wasn't all doom and gloom and there were factions in the 'explorers' who do not fit the slaughtering stereotype. A few of them ended up as local saints in the area, but I can't remember their names out of hand. Of course, those still brought diseases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The conquistadors did have help from the natives, the Aztecs weren't overly popular amongst all the other people they'd conquered; most of the conquistadors operated under a "convert to Christianity or die" ethos.