Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Got the new light temporarily mounted until i can get some time off to build a proper shelf for it.

Old light

New light

Huge difference in output and that is dialed down almost all the way. Still screwing around with it trying to find where i like it best, then I'll grab the good camera and get some sweet pics of my clowns :3:

Edit: New page, have some bonus super nassarius snail action

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeus
Dec 6, 2005
COPS NEVER LIE
*slurp* *slurrrrp* mmmm cop cock oh God so good in my mouth like this

That looks really really nice. Amazing how the blue really makes things pop.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Thanks i can't wait to finish getting everything ready for a few corals. Just trying to figure out why my nitrates are climbing, anyone have any experience with purigen?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Is it a new-ish cycling tank? Should be fine for now if so--as long as your ammonia and nitrites are flatlining.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Here are a bunch of pics of the new nano:

I'm really bummed right now cause the Snowflake clown in that picture is just aboud dead. Right up until last night he was golden, eating like a pig. I wake up this morning to find him super lethargic, swimming weakly and with white mucus over parts of his body. Pretty sure he has clownfish disease. There goes A) a really beautiful and what I thought was healthy fish, and B) $70.

Not sure what to do with the Darwin Clown I still have in there. He hasn't shown signs yet but even if he does I don't have anywhere to put him.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sorry about your clown, but your tank looks amazing!

All of the tanks look amazing, can't wait to see what you stock, Henchman. (Also, I'm creepin on your reflection)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Ya, since that's a bred clown, somebody in the custody chain is an unexcusable literal living breathing piece of poo poo for having it come into contact with brooklynella.

Also the body shape still looks "off".

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

arioch posted:

Is it a new-ish cycling tank? Should be fine for now if so--as long as your ammonia and nitrites are flatlining.

About 4months full running. Nitrites and ammonia are at 0

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Henchman 21 posted:

About 4months full running. Nitrites and ammonia are at 0

I can't think of anything really plausible, unless you had some microalgae die-off from shifting the light spectrum. Even that's kind of hand-wavy.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

arioch posted:

Ya, since that's a bred clown, somebody in the custody chain is an unexcusable literal living breathing piece of poo poo for having it come into contact with brooklynella.

Also the body shape still looks "off".

Is this in response to my clown dying? If so can you expand on what you said a bit? What do you mean about the body shape being off?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

arioch posted:

I can't think of anything really plausible, unless you had some microalgae die-off from shifting the light spectrum. Even that's kind of hand-wavy.

I've been fighting with it for the past two weeks, do a ~50% water change, test a couple hours later 20ppm. Wait a day or two, back up to 40ppm. Kicking around throwing a carbon reactor in the sump next week if i can't get it to drop

On the plus side at least it's holding steady at 40ppm :smith:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

visuvius posted:

Is this in response to my clown dying? If so can you expand on what you said a bit? What do you mean about the body shape being off?

Snowflakes are tank-bred clownfish that pretty much don't occur in nature, so it had to have been healthy to start with (no disease, I hope, in a breeder's larvae grow out system) but at some point spent time in the same tank system as a bunch of wild-caught un-quarantined clowns to get brook. Somebody hosed up big along the line.

Also partly because it's a "designer" (i.e. massively inbred) clown, the body looks too elongated to be natural. Typically the breeder would cull these, but the "good markings" ones will still sell since $$$.

I shouldn't talk, because my pairs are all designers, one pair of black onyx that are currently laying eggs and one pair of premium-ish picassos. The black onyx female pelvic fins are grown together slightly but that's really the only noticeable deformity.

The picassos are trickier, they look good body-wise (Doni does do culling) but one is descended from 2 ORA picassos, the other does have some wild perc in the last couple generations though so should be hardier genetic stock.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 31, 2012

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

arioch posted:

Snowflakes are tank-bred clownfish that pretty much don't occur in nature, so it had to have been healthy to start with (no disease, I hope, in a breeder's larvae grow out system) but at some point spent time in the same tank system as a bunch of wild-caught un-quarantined clowns to get brook. Somebody hosed up big along the line.

Also partly because it's a "designer" (i.e. massively inbred) clown, the body looks too elongated to be natural. Typically the breeder would cull these, but the "good markings" ones will still sell since $$$.

I shouldn't talk, because my pairs are all designers, one pair of black onyx that are currently laying eggs and one pair of premium-ish picassos. The black onyx female pelvic fins are grown together slightly but that's really the only noticeable deformity.

The picassos are trickier, they look good body-wise (Doni does do culling) but one is descended from 2 ORA picassos, the other does have some wild perc in the last couple generations though so should be hardier genetic stock.

Hey thanks for this reply, it helps explain things quite a bit. You're like some kind of clown genius.

I called the guy at the LFS that sold it to us and of course he basically claimed it was everything but brook. Dick. Won't be going back there. Actually, even though he had lots of clowns there, he claimed he had never even dealt with it.

Black Onyx clowns are basically what I always wanted but I could never find a pair around here and didn't really want to order online so I went with the Snowflake and a Darwin. Do you think the Darwin will get the disease at this point? I have long since pulled the diseased snowflake. Its a tough situation because I doubt any LFS is going to want to take him, I don't have a quarantine and I imagine keeping the Darwin in the tank will just keep the brook in there.

Ultimately, I'd like to get a nice black onyx pair. How do you suggest I go about this? For all I knew, the Snowflake was doing fine and I bought it from a pretty nice store. Where did you get your onyxs from and how did you make sure they were healthy enough to purchase? Thanks man.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
This is the guy I bought my onyx pair from: http://www.booyahsreef.com/

He's local here and makes the rounds at the swaps and such, recently (within the last couple years) he expanded his breeding operations to include a bunch more kinds of designer clowns (but he used to specialize in onyx). Dude also came up with a way to force an established pair of clowns to spawn by introducing an egg clutch from a spawning pair for the two to get used to taking care of. (Thus resulting in the PNG lightning maroon project's first spawning) (by the way, read the genetics write-up on the lightning stripes expression, it's fascinating and relatively engaging and easy to understand).

I had it good, because I went up there to his breeding room (rooms, plural now) to pick out two good looking juvies, for cheap.

Rod's Onyxes used to make the rounds too, he's also local to me in the Chicagoland area but he's more or less focusing on his food business (Rod's Food) and hasn't really been raising clutches, though AIUI every now and then he'll ship some to distributors (previously premium aquatics sold a ton of them, for example).

Anyway, "booyah" (Mitch) is probably the cheapest source of good numbers of captive-bred onyx clowns. You could try to get in touch with him and make sure you can get him to ship a pair of them, while not necessarily full-barred perfect holotypes, with no deformities. Mis-bars occur in nature and give the clowns character, anyway, IMO.

The Darwin will almost certainly get it at this point. If he does and dies, I'd let the tank sit fishless for 4-8 weeks, then order a new pair of clowns.

I mean, that sounds super callous, but without the ability to dedicate a quarantine tank to formalin treatment (since you aren't going to be able to use it in the main tank), it's what's probably going to happen.

(Another couple friends locally breed onyxes but they don't ship.)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 31, 2012

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Thanks for the tips man. I checked out his site and he doesn't seem to have anything in stock at the moment. Hopefully he will when I'm ready in TWO MONTHS.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

visuvius posted:

Thanks for the tips man. I checked out his site and he doesn't seem to have anything in stock at the moment. Hopefully he will when I'm ready in TWO MONTHS.

He most certainly does, the site is an afterthought. Call the contact number and leave a message.

e: in a couple months

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 31, 2012

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

arioch posted:

He's local here and makes the rounds at the swaps and such, recently (within the last couple years) he expanded his breeding operations to include a bunch more kinds of designer clowns (but he used to specialize in onyx). Dude also came up with a way to force an established pair of clowns to spawn by introducing an egg clutch from a spawning pair for the two to get used to taking care of. (Thus resulting in the PNG lightning maroon project's first spawning) (by the way, read the genetics write-up on the lightning stripes expression, it's fascinating and relatively engaging and easy to understand).

I had it good, because I went up there to his breeding room (rooms, plural now) to pick out two good looking juvies, for cheap.

Rod's Onyxes used to make the rounds too, he's also local to me in the Chicagoland area but he's more or less focusing on his food business (Rod's Food) and hasn't really been raising clutches, though AIUI every now and then he'll ship some to distributors (previously premium aquatics sold a ton of them, for example).

Anyway, "booyah" (Mitch) is probably the cheapest source of good numbers of captive-bred onyx clowns. You could try to get in touch with him and make sure you can get him to ship a pair of them, while not necessarily full-barred perfect holotypes, with no deformities. Mis-bars occur in nature and give the clowns character, anyway, IMO.

The Darwin will almost certainly get it at this point. If he does and dies, I'd let the tank sit fishless for 4-8 weeks, then order a new pair of clowns.

I mean, that sounds super callous, but without the ability to dedicate a quarantine tank to formalin treatment (since you aren't going to be able to use it in the main tank), it's what's probably going to happen.

He was selling pairs of snowflakes at our local frag swap (North Olmsted, OH) for $70 each, I think. I just rememeber it was really cheap. Nice guy, good looking stock. I would have considered a pair but I already have a pair of fully grown misbar clowns anyway.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Clown :3:

Edit: wow imgur really butchered the quality on that one

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

arioch posted:

DUDE. Thanks for the heads up on this guy. I spoke with him earlier today for like half an hour and he was super pleasant and informative. I make a point of saying this because in my experience, for some reason, most staff at LFSs are obnxious, aloof and slightly arrogant assholes. At least the ones in So Cal are.

I'll probably be picking up a pair of Black Onyx or Snowflakes when I'm ready.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Whelp, found some Aiptasia in my main tank. Hopefully I can grab a kit tomorrow.

Meanwhile one of my favorite local stores is "Closed for Renovation" When I tried to find out when they were opening again, I came across someone who had found this crimestoppers report:

Crime Stoppers posted:

On Monday, June 25, 2012, at approximately 1:10 a.m., unknown suspect(s) gained access into Red Coral Aquarium at 2501 Alyth Road S.E., by prying open the bay door. Once inside, suspect(s) pushed over fish tanks and smashed almost every tank that had livestock (fish and coral) in them. The value of damage and the loss of livestock is estimated at $150,000.

Seething a little bit right now.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Jonny Nox posted:

Whelp, found some Aiptasia in my main tank. Hopefully I can grab a kit tomorrow.

Meanwhile one of my favorite local stores is "Closed for Renovation" When I tried to find out when they were opening again, I came across someone who had found this crimestoppers report:

Seething a little bit right now.

gently caress humanity.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

Good luck. As far as I can tell that poo poo is like Herpes. If you have it, you have it. Just a matter of managing it.

Both my 90g and my 14g have it and it is a constant battle.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Did a partial water change today and blasted the holy hell out of the live rock. I couldn't believe how much junk came shooting out of all the pores in the rock. Water is more clear then it has been in a while. I think i am on the right path to get these pesky nitrates back in check.

Side note does anyone have any sites they would recommend for ordering corals or anemones? My LFS has very little selection and most of my livestock has come from Liveaquaria, just curious if you guys have a go to online retailer

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Henchman 21 posted:

Did a partial water change today and blasted the holy hell out of the live rock. I couldn't believe how much junk came shooting out of all the pores in the rock. Water is more clear then it has been in a while. I think i am on the right path to get these pesky nitrates back in check.

Side note does anyone have any sites they would recommend for ordering corals or anemones? My LFS has very little selection and most of my livestock has come from Liveaquaria, just curious if you guys have a go to online retailer

For "special" anemone pieces like specifically colored S. haddonis or S. giganteas iBluewater.com can get you something healthy by picking them where they land, then holding them for you for ~2 months to make sure it is healthy before shipping to you. By doing that you are paying for a healthy specimen with a relatively minimum amount of shipping stress (i.e. cutting out a local warehouse and LFS) but at something of a premium and with the built-in delay of ~2 months. Still cheaper than Liveaquaria, and they have similar anemone health results. They made me go pick up my last shipment from the airport, though. Shipping price is a bitch right now.

It depends on where you live, too. For example, there's any number of semi-professional guys that run anything from horrible chop shops to decent resellers who get in boxes of corals from mariculture facilities (typically from Bali), then hold them for a while and sell them online. Out here in the Illinois/Wisconsin-ish midwest area there's a couple guys I relatively trust to do what's right for the customer, one's Beef's Reef (website not functional yet) and the other is https://www.happycoral.com --note there the very obvious Bali mariculture livestock, decent prices, 1-day shipping covering the midwest.

One of my buddies used to do this along with selling frags of colonies he had kept for 15 years (madfragsonline if anyone remembers that site at all) but has since retired that when his system crashed while he was out in Fiji, now he breeds onyx and snowflake clowns for local resellers.

Important to note here is that a lot of these guys get their stock from the same place, there's only a few landing sites for this stuff, they pay like 3 figures or so per box o' corals from wholesalers (for example: https://www.route66marine.com, you ain't getting in there without a business license etc.), hold/treat/quarantine them (to lesser or greater degrees, this is the important part, you don't want pests), then sell them.

Basically, do some research in the local reefing community (look for a reefing club on reefcentral.com, find out what LFSes or "guys" are around who can do you a solid, etc.).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 2, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
For random crap, you can't beat prices at reefs2go.com, but I suspect that for much of their livestock, they wait for orders to come in, then go pick them from a local warehouse and then ship it.

For a clean up crew, you really can't beat reefcleaners.org.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Thanks for the info. I live in northeast Ohio so happy coral is actually pretty close to me :)

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

Good luck. As far as I can tell that poo poo is like Herpes. If you have it, you have it. Just a matter of managing it.

Both my 90g and my 14g have it and it is a constant battle.
Maybe I'm an anomaly but there was TONS of aiptasia on the live rock I got from a fellow reefer when I first started (like a newb I had no idea what it was). I used Aiptasia-X on it and within about 2 months I had annihilated all of it. It's been over a year since I've seen a single specimen. Aiptasia-X works!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Peppermints worked in my big tank, but were worthless in my 20gal, I ended up nearly carpet bombing the 20gal with concentrated kalk paste.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, I want to get the set with the syringe. Hope for the best.

Mind you it's one Anemone right now.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah, I want to get the set with the syringe. Hope for the best.

Mind you it's one Anemone right now.

Pro tip:

Sharpen the syringe on a whetstone to turn it into an extra large hypodermic that you can actually stab into the body of the jerk and pump it full of delicious purple stuff.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

arioch posted:

Peppermints worked in my big tank, but were worthless in my 20gal, I ended up nearly carpet bombing the 20gal with concentrated kalk paste.
I almost forgot, I also had 4 peppermints in my 75 gallon to battle aiptasia along with the Aiptasia-X. I never actually saw them go after the aiptasia, but maybe they were doing it at night. Either way, peppermints + some kind of chemical weapon seem to be the most effective combo.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yep, peppermints take care of the little guys in the nooks and crannies that you wouldn't be able to get to or wouldn't notice until it's too late. And they do that at night.

Even if I could find non-lazy peppermints for the 20gal, the mantis shrimp eats them all, and if I try berghia nudis, the brittle star apparently eats them all. No-win.

If you get aiptasia in the plumbing or sump you're basically screwed unless you could find a single good peppermint for it, but then it wreaks havoc in your 'fuge instead.

I remember I had to double check my utility pumps and such and kalk pasted one particularly big aiptasia in my skimmer pump.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Was kicking around the idea of a carbon reactor and came across this sale at Drs Foster Smith if anyone else is thinking about one

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11586

Ended up ordering two

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

Pro tip:

Sharpen the syringe on a whetstone to turn it into an extra large hypodermic that you can actually stab into the body of the jerk and pump it full of delicious purple stuff.

This is a good tip. It's going to take me awhile.

Got a YWG and Tiger Pistol at the same time. Lets see if I can keep these guys alive.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just bought the new retrofit led kit from stevesleds for my biocube 14. Can't wait till I get it next week!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Caught my brittle star hanging out near the surface for the first time in months. I dusted the water with some powdery food (freeze dried cyclopeeze and some crushed flake food) and watched it strain the water surface for food particles. Video uploading...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLR3Yp6vZvc

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 4, 2012

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Haha, that is pretty cool. One of my cleaner shrimp does the same thing. Does the backstroke and grabs stuff off the surface. Little guy can do it for several minutes straight. I'll have to get a video.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Internet Explorer posted:

Haha, that is pretty cool. One of my cleaner shrimp does the same thing. Does the backstroke and grabs stuff off the surface. Little guy can do it for several minutes straight. I'll have to get a video.

Like an hour later, it decided to go back down to the rocks, so I watched it literally bundle all the cyclopeeze bits it'd managed to gather in huge clumps under its armpits and slither on down.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I wish my brittle was cool like that, he's always in the rocks and all he ever does is stick his arms out and wave them around.

My brittle in a nut shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Man I had a lot of poo poo in my sand. Pistol shrimp has made a dust storm like nobody's business.

Should I be worried about stirring up stuff best left underground? I have a couple of Nassarius snails for just that purpose, and there's quite a few worm trails along the glass.

Guess I just have to start some mechanical filtering again.

• Locked thread