Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Man, I really envy you people in major metropolitan centers. No place around where I live would dare break street date. Mainly because Wisconsin is nothing but a parade of GameStops crammed in wherever they'll fit. There are two in a small local mall, and three more within a block of said mall. Three days for me. :(

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

Man, I really envy you people in major metropolitan centers. No place around where I live would dare break street date. Mainly because Wisconsin is nothing but a parade of GameStops crammed in wherever they'll fit. There are two in a small local mall, and three more within a block of said mall. Three days for me. :(

Individual stores that belong to larger chains break street date sometimes. When I used to live in a smaller city there was a Rogers Video store (Canadian blockbusters type place) that used to break street dates all the time. I'm sure that was against larger policy but I think the people running that branch didn't bother to check if they were supposed to start selling stuff yet.

I've moved to a larger city now, and I actually don't know of a place that breaks street dates near me anymore though. :(

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Two Elizabeth combo videos, an Aigis vid, a Labrys vid, and a video containing example solutions for every character's Challenge #30: http://shoryuken.com/2012/08/03/persona-4-arena-video-round-up-combo-videos-and-challenge-30-solutions/

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Good thing I preordered from gamestop to get the soundtrack preorder bonus! :eng101:

:eng99:

Oh well, at least I have Tuesday off..

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Yeah, I'm seriously jealous of all you kids who have the game early. I think I'll have to avoid the thread until Tuesday because I'm so envious. :arghfist::saddowns:

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
Yeah, my roommate swung by the local Mom n' Pop in hopes that they'd have the game early. They also get it on Tuesday.

Guess we just have to wait for Amazon to deliver now. :(

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

MelancholyMark posted:

Same question but change the place to the bay area for me. Wanna spend my weekend learning Chie combos and the only arcade that has a setup for it within reasonable driving distance doesn't open till 5 :(

I checked a couple of the usual suspects from 6-8 years ago before I went to college but no luck (Union City Target, Walmart, and Fremont Frys). Please post if you hear or find anything.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

2012 posted:

Anyone from Los Angeles on here know of any shops that are selling the game early? Sorta... fiending... over... here... *shakes*

I don't live there or know if they have any copies left, but I have friends that live in the area, and I guess GAMEPLAY in Long Beach was selling it early, starting Thursday night. Call them and see if they have any left!

5911 E Spring St
Long Beach, CA 90808
Phone: (562) 421-6880

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009

glod posted:

I don't live there or know if they have any copies left, but I have friends that live in the area, and I guess GAMEPLAY in Long Beach was selling it early, starting Thursday night. Call them and see if they have any left!

5911 E Spring St
Long Beach, CA 90808
Phone: (562) 421-6880

Word. Grabbed the last PS3 copy from Gameplay in Los Angeles. Yussssssss

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

The story mode is a carbon copy of Blazblue. I don't know if that's good or bad for the genre, but it puts me to sleep despite being a fan of P3 & P4. The actual gameplay is great. The stage names are pretty clever, but Yosuke has a couple "eh..." joking lines about Kanji. Basically he's afraid to meet Kanji in the tournament because he fears for his rear end. It's not in offensive territory, but it seems really unlike the writers who I assume, are the same. Plus it's stupid. Oh ha ha, he's gay so he must want to gently caress your butt, hilariously original. Comedic gold.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

rizuhbull posted:

The story mode is a carbon copy of Blazblue. I don't know if that's good or bad for the genre, but it puts me to sleep despite being a fan of P3 & P4. The actual gameplay is great. The stage names are pretty clever, but Yosuke has a couple "eh..." joking lines about Kanji. Basically he's afraid to meet Kanji in the tournament because he fears for his rear end. It's not in offensive territory, but it seems really unlike the writers who I assume, are the same. Plus it's stupid. Oh ha ha, he's gay so he must want to gently caress your butt, hilariously original. Comedic gold.

Yosuke is a male teen. What do you expect?

That's pretty in-line with his interactions with Kanji in P4. See: the camping event.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah but he's been the same unlikeable rear end in a top hat since that start of P4 and a little character development on that front would be nice. I guess those buttsex jokes are just too hilarious to pass up.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Troffen posted:

Yeah but he's been the same unlikeable rear end in a top hat since that start of P4 and a little character development on that front would be nice. I guess those buttsex jokes are just too hilarious to pass up.

He's admitted to himself that being in a small town kinda sucks.... that counts as character development, right? :downs:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
What character development? That part of his character never developed. His social link was all about getting over Suki, not about not being a homophobic dick to Kanji.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I put my money down for 360 version of P4A today.

Here is hoping that Atlus manages to get that patch out within the first week, else I will be really bummed.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

rizuhbull posted:

Yosuke has a couple "eh..." joking lines about Kanji. Basically he's afraid to meet Kanji in the tournament because he fears for his rear end. It's not in offensive territory, but it seems really unlike the writers who I assume, are the same. Plus it's stupid. Oh ha ha, he's gay so he must want to gently caress your butt, hilariously original. Comedic gold.

He's also the only one who does it in the game, so it's pretty much Yosuke being an rear end in a top hat and not the writers. It's a little different in the anime, with Yuu going back and forth between "oh no not my butt" and "why don't you come join us :gay:" depending on which joke the writers wanted to make, but I'm not sure the anime characterization of Yuu counts.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
He hates everyone because he secretly feels he's inferior and jealous of them, so he's just a dick to everyone for no real reason. I'd consider that a spoiler but his title is Captain Ressentiment so I don't think it counts. The homophobic jokes are more than a bit over the line though.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

I put my money down for 360 version of P4A today.

Here is hoping that Atlus manages to get that patch out within the first week, else I will be really bummed.

Considering Atlus probably isn't a high priority publisher the chance if the patch not being out by Tuesday is pretty likely. Xbox cert is apparently really loving dumb. I mean it could happen but I wouldn't be surprised, so temper your expectations

Just practice your combos for like a week or whatever.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Considering Atlus probably isn't a high priority publisher the chance if the patch not being out by Tuesday is pretty likely. Xbox cert is apparently really loving dumb. I mean it could happen but I wouldn't be surprised, so temper your expectations

Just practice your combos for like a week or whatever.

Oh, I don't expect the patch to be out Tuesday at all. By first week I meant hopefully by the following Tuesday.

I have enough understanding of the story from watching the Giant bomb endurance run to get something out of single player, and I will be figuring out what I can with Mitsuru and whoever else tickles my fancy. Hopefully that will eat up enough time til the game is playable online.

A few of my friends will be getting it as well, but they are Persona fans first, fighting game players second, so I don't expect a lot of versus competition from them :(

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh92-9CRsNQ
Training video.

If you guys want, on launch day, I could get started on adding into the OP a list of Gamertags for dudes who wanna play together on PS3 or 360.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Troffen posted:

Asking a teenager to stop being a homophobic prick is about as unrealistic as you can get with character development.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

LightningKimba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh92-9CRsNQ
Training video.

If you guys want, on launch day, I could get started on adding into the OP a list of Gamertags for dudes who wanna play together on PS3 or 360.

The Teddie on that shirt keeps making me laugh. I'd be up for a list or a group gamertag.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I'm definitely down for some just-got-the-game play on Tuesday.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!
In addition to the goon list in the OP, for all of you PS3 goons, don't forget about the PS3 Goon DB. Here is the page for Persona 4 Arena. Set up an account, add the game to your library and others will be able to find you by game.

There's also always IRC which we could use to arrange matches or chat about the game without filling up the thread. I've set up #persona4arena on SynIRC (irc.synirc.net) if anyone would like to join me. :)

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
So is there going to be a day one tournament for this? I've got streaming equipment. I've got no qualms about wasting my time and streaming it. :)

edit: vvv sorry I meant the PS3 owners, I know the 360 version is hosed hard at the moment and that sucks :(

Zexerous fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 5, 2012

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Zexerous posted:

So is there going to be a day one tournament for this? I've got streaming equipment. I've got no qualms about wasting my time and streaming it. :)

While I can't speak for ps3 owners, I think any goon tourney for 360 should be left until after the netcode patch.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Does anyone have footage of those Elizabeth combos where she casts Mahamaon in the corner then combos the opponent until it instant-kills them?

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Groghammer posted:

Does anyone have footage of those Elizabeth combos where she casts Mahamaon in the corner then combos the opponent until it instant-kills them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmgq10R5Nyc

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It's late so hopefully my eyes didn't glaze over someone already posting this, here are the SBO top 8:

quote:

Shingo (Akihiko)
REO (Akihiko)
ちゃん (?)
Himajin (Yukiko)

Denpa (Naoto)
Irusu (Mitsuru)
Syuuto (Mitsuru)
Maddo (Teddie)

Not sure who the Chan is, if anyone wants to translate go nuts: http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2012/aug/04/super-battle-opera-2012-top-8-bracket-persona-4-arena-part/

The only Chan's I know are Ho-Chan (that being Stunedge, Yukiko player), and DIE-Chan, Mitsuru. So ... seems there are no Aigis in the top 8 at all.

Finals are in like 3 hours or whatever.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Akihiko is an awesome character so I'm not shocked he's well represented in the top 8 but Yuki is a surprise to me .

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Veev posted:

He hates everyone because he secretly feels he's inferior and jealous of them, so he's just a dick to everyone for no real reason. I'd consider that a spoiler but his title is Captain Ressentiment so I don't think it counts. The homophobic jokes are more than a bit over the line though.

Actually fits really well with Yosuke.
Kanji isnt gay.
Yosuke has a man crush on the protagonist.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Groghammer posted:

Here, have a (slightly) less situational combo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6wL8VAd-s0&feature=plcp#t=02m45s

quote:

Yuki is a surprise to me .
Here, have a really sick yukiko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGYTlC5XZmU&#t=15m57s

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Darn, VGNY didn't have the soundtrack when I bought the game. Guess I'll have to hope someone uploads it in a relative loss-free format.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Can someone give me a good breakdown of Naoto? Combo difficulty, playstyle, etc. Is using her as a zoning character a viable option this game?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's late so hopefully my eyes didn't glaze over someone already posting this, here are the SBO top 8:

Not sure who the Chan is, if anyone wants to translate go nuts: http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2012/aug/04/super-battle-opera-2012-top-8-bracket-persona-4-arena-part/

The only Chan's I know are Ho-Chan (that being Stunedge, Yukiko player), and DIE-Chan, Mitsuru. So ... seems there are no Aigis in the top 8 at all.

Finals are in like 3 hours or whatever.

It was Hae-chan, a Chie player. Here's the final results:

1. Shuuto (Mitusuru)
2. Hae-chan (Chie)
3. Shingo (Sanada)
3. Denpa (Naoto)
5. Reo (Sanada)
5. Himajin (Yukiko)
5. Mad (Kuma)
5. Irusu (Mitsuru)

(from SRK)

skog
Aug 20, 2009
So what's the overall verdict? Buy or no

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I watched the Giantbomb quick look going through the tutorial and my eyes heavily glazed over. I want to buy this because I'm a big fan of the Persona series, but man am I rubbish at fighters. :(

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I'm not going to tell anyone to buy something or not but really you should not look at this as a Persona game. It's a fighting game that happens to have Persona characters. It's also a really good fighting game and it's actually not hard to learn at all.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lynx Winters posted:

I'm not going to tell anyone to buy something or not but really you should not look at this as a Persona game. It's a fighting game that happens to have Persona characters. It's also a really good fighting game and it's actually not hard to learn at all.

Yeah everything I've read points at this being the case. The story mode stuff is just going to be frustrating for people who don't enjoy fighting games (and will likely be on youtube in two weeks tops anyway). This doesn't mean "goes to tournaments and wins all the money" necessarily, but if you don't like doing quarter circle motions to throw projectiles there's a good chance this game won't really be that fun for you unless you just love jokes about Kanji's sexuality so much that nothing can diminish your enjoyment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Countblanc posted:

Yeah everything I've read points at this being the case. The story mode stuff is just going to be frustrating for people who don't enjoy fighting games (and will likely be on youtube in two weeks tops anyway). This doesn't mean "goes to tournaments and wins all the money" necessarily, but if you don't like doing quarter circle motions to throw projectiles there's a good chance this game won't really be that fun for you unless you just love jokes about Kanji's sexuality so much that nothing can diminish your enjoyment.

Seems to be a lot of those in the game.

Everything I have heard about story mode is that it is so easy you can literally mash A and win, so you can get your enjoyment out of that if you aren't a fighting game fan.

• Locked thread