Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Cake Attack posted:

I didn't have many expectations going in, it's awesome to hear it's that good. A slow start isn't a huge problem, I love Trails in the Sky way too much and god knows that started slow.

Basically why you two just sold this game to me.
I ADORED Trails in the Sky and your description of how Growlanser starts compared to how it is for the rest of the game sounds amazing.
Welp. I didn't need another game, but I found one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
My only complaint is that Growlanser literally did nothing to evolve the battle system since Growlanser 3. So if you've never played the Growlanser games, it'll be fresh, but if you have it'll be very familiar territory and the same tricks still apply.

On the localization side - why oh why did they not put in a text speed option if they were going to remove the VA. As a result you have to swap between two buttons if you want to speed through text since they obviously didn't want people accidentally skipping voice acting if they tapped only one of the buttons.

I kind of want to wait for the undub version to play now.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
Got the hankering for an RPG and I'm not sure what to play. Ideally I want to play something on my TV, which would mean 360, PS3, or solid controller support on PC. Mechanics/gameplay are more important to me than story, but of course I'd like a good story. It also should be ideally less than 40 hours (no Disgaea or Persona, I never end up finishing those) unless it's so completely amazing that I won't want to put it down. I've played most of the Final Fantasies (didn't finish 8, 13, and never started 10-2 or 13-2), Chrono Trigger (didn't like Chrono Cross), the Fallout series (minus New Vegas), Oblivion, Skyrim, Demon's Soul, Dark Souls (though I haven't finished it yet, I may just go back to that), Front Mission 4... well there are probably too many to name that I've played or at least tried over time. I never gave the Witcher a shot, so I've been debating that. Eternal Sonata has also been sitting on my shelf since I got it for free from a friend, but I've heard it's not so great.

Edit: How does Persona 4 compared to 3? 3 felt very repetitive to me - I really enjoyed the first 20 - 30 hours, but then the dungeons just felt waaaaaaaaay too long.

Fitret fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 3, 2012

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
What is the battle system in Growlanser like? Is it a traditional turn-based combat or tactics or strat or..?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Real time strategy. Think Baldur's Gate except extremely simplified. You basically pause it to give orders to people which is basically Attack, Move Here, or Use Item/Cast Spells/Do Skills and then everything plays out in real time until you pause it again.

Character configuration boils down to equipping armor and a ring, and rings are basically where you equip your skills/spells.

All in all, it's pretty simple mechanics and most of the strategy comes down to timing spells with physical attacks and moving people in the right places, and responding to sudden developments like reinforcements or new win/loss conditions.

If it's anything like the past Growlanser games, then the encounter design usually makes up for having such a very simple system.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

So I've been playing a bit of Growlanser, and I really enjoy it. Great stroy and interesting combat mechanics. Plus you get actual dialog choice, something missing in most JRPGs.

One thing though.

This game is loving frustratingly hard. Like unfairly so. And it's not the straight out combat that is difficult, that can always be solved by grinding etc.
Some of the story mission you have to be so drat precise with your actions, because one small slip and it's gameover. That, coupled with abitrarily placed save points means a lot of back tracking.

It's fun... but get prepared to get your rear end kicked often.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Hortism posted:

So I've been playing a bit of Growlanser, and I really enjoy it. Great stroy and interesting combat mechanics. Plus you get actual dialog choice, something missing in most JRPGs.

One thing though.

This game is loving frustratingly hard. Like unfairly so. And it's not the straight out combat that is difficult, that can always be solved by grinding etc.
Some of the story mission you have to be so drat precise with your actions, because one small slip and it's gameover. That, coupled with abitrarily placed save points means a lot of back tracking.

Sounds like a job for save states! (CFWed PSP to the rescue!)

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

RadicalR posted:

I wish. Would save me trekking back to all the way to the drat mission point so I can fail for the umpteenth millionth time.
Though it would have been easier if I could use the save point which is right there, but no, for whatever reason it suddenly doesn't work.

gently caress this game.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Hortism posted:

One thing though.

Yeah, Wayfarer of Time is the hardest game in the series, especially if you want to get Mission Completes for every mission. It's also a lot better balanced than the other games, so you can't break the game as easily. (Though the arena still leads to some game breaking stuff. But like the other Growlansers, it doesn't open up for quite a long time.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

RadicalR posted:

Wait wait wait, what app or plugin or whatever will allow for savestates? That sounds super-handy for LPs and all.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
http://pspslimhacks.com/psp-savestates-for-6-20-hen-and-cfw-6-xx/

Keep in mind this will NOT work for PSP 1000.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Boneless Jogger posted:

Yeah, Wayfarer of Time is the hardest game in the series, especially if you want to get Mission Completes for every mission. It's also a lot better balanced than the other games, so you can't break the game as easily. (Though the arena still leads to some game breaking stuff. But like the other Growlansers, it doesn't open up for quite a long time.)
Honestly don't even think about going for Mission Completes in Wayfarer until NG+. One of the first Mission Completes is killing that monster before Regina shows up, which as far as I can tell impossible on a fresh game unless you get an extremely lucky kill steal.

It's also not like the previous Growlansers where you need a certain # of completes/clears to get endings. I read that it's really just bonus xp/stats/points in Wayfarer and nothing else this time around.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 4, 2012

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Playing Growlanser as well, about 3 hours in. I am enjoying it, certainly. I do not get the complaints about slow beginning, though (Presuming we are talking about the first hour, here?). It is railroaded as hell, but stuff does happen at a decent pace. It is not nearly to the level of certain other games I had played, such as dicking around for a couple of hours in some town in Kingdom Hearts 2, or (as much as I love the game) the first few hours of Persona 4.

Another thing that fascinates me is that there are certain points where dialog options where blocked, presumably because the game keeps track of responses (For example, I chose mostly the nice responses, so it kept me from calling an NPCs hometown a shithole.)

It does not come up that much, only to keep your character from being (completely) schizophrenic, but it is kinda neat.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 4, 2012

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Fitret posted:

Got the hankering for an RPG and I'm not sure what to play. Ideally I want to play something on my TV, which would mean 360, PS3, or solid controller support on PC. Mechanics/gameplay are more important to me than story, but of course I'd like a good story. It also should be ideally less than 40 hours (no Disgaea or Persona, I never end up finishing those) unless it's so completely amazing that I won't want to put it down. I've played most of the Final Fantasies (didn't finish 8, 13, and never started 10-2 or 13-2), Chrono Trigger (didn't like Chrono Cross), the Fallout series (minus New Vegas), Oblivion, Skyrim, Demon's Soul, Dark Souls (though I haven't finished it yet, I may just go back to that), Front Mission 4... well there are probably too many to name that I've played or at least tried over time. I never gave the Witcher a shot, so I've been debating that. Eternal Sonata has also been sitting on my shelf since I got it for free from a friend, but I've heard it's not so great.

Edit: How does Persona 4 compared to 3? 3 felt very repetitive to me - I really enjoyed the first 20 - 30 hours, but then the dungeons just felt waaaaaaaaay too long.

A few suggestions for PS3: Final Fantasy 13-2 is a lot less linear than the first game, and can be finished in around thirty hours. It's also pretty good if you ignore the retarded plot.

The Atelier series are also great low maintainance RPGs, i've only played Rorona, which others say is one to avoid as the sequels Totori and Meruru are superior, though I quite enjoyed it.

Star Ocean 4 is actually a pretty good game, it'll take a bit longer than 40 hours to complete, though not much longer if you're just playing the main game. Warning with this one, the plot is loving awful and the characters are creepy as hell, but the gameplay is where it shines, great battle system

Eternal Sonata is actually good, but quite a linear game and very moe. Short though, probably can finish it in around 25 hours, and the visuals are good. Interesting combat system too

Nier plays like cack but has a great story, great characters, great soundtrack and can realistically be finished in around 15 hours, though it's highly recommended that you do a second playthrough which starts at the halfway point because there are some major reveals to the plot you can only get in the second playthrough

I've been playing Dragon's Dogma recently, it has a big open world, meaty combat and looks great, though there's not much in the way of fast travel options and it is balls hard at times. Not sure if it would be your thing

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Polite Tim posted:

The Atelier series are also great low maintainance RPGs, i've only played Rorona, which others say is one to avoid as the sequels Totori and Meruru are superior, though I quite enjoyed it.

The point is more that they're better than Rorona in multiple respects and going back to it after playing those can feel like a major step backwards. If you enjoyed Rorona, you will probably love the poo poo out of the other Arland games (so long as your tolerance for occasional gratuitous fanservice is high enough).

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

Another thing that fascinates me is that there are certain points where dialog options where blocked, presumably because the game keeps track of responses (For example, I chose mostly the nice responses, so it kept me from calling an NPCs hometown a shithole.)

It does not come up that much, only to keep your character from being (completely) schizophrenic, but it is kinda neat.

Cool, that was in 3 as well. An interesting idea.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Fitret posted:

I ultimately wound up spending a good 20 hours less in P4, for what it's worth. It's still pretty long though and I clocked 80ish hours. Anyway, I loving loved P4 (I just played it a few months ago). I was pretty ambivalent towards P3, but I thought P4 improved the whole set-up in just about every single way. You can control party members, most of the social links are plot-related, you can't really reverse links anymore, etc. I also liked the plot and cast a lot more.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

So here's something interesting that I don't think anyone's posted yet. Turns out there's a translation patch in progress for Valkyria Chronicles 3, and not only that, it's pretty far along. Every chapter and the character mission are translated (as of two days ago), although editing still hasn't started.

http://vc3translationproject.wordpress.com/

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fitret posted:

If you haven't played New Vegas it's on Steam sale for $10 today, and it's really, REALLY good. In fact, I'd lay some of the highest praise I can give to a game running on the Gamebryo engine: I don't feel that mods are a requirement for it.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 5, 2012

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cake Attack posted:

So here's something interesting that I don't think anyone's posted yet. Turns out there's a translation patch in progress for Valkyria Chronicles 3, and not only that, it's pretty far along. Every chapter and the character mission are translated (as of two days ago), although editing still hasn't started.

http://vc3translationproject.wordpress.com/

I really hope something comes of this; I want to play the Anime Suicide Squad.

I know it is probably not as awesome as I am thinking it will be, but I do not care.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Rascyc posted:

On the localization side - why oh why did they not put in a text speed option if they were going to remove the VA. As a result you have to swap between two buttons if you want to speed through text since they obviously didn't want people accidentally skipping voice acting if they tapped only one of the buttons.

I kind of want to wait for the undub version to play now.

I know this isn't exactly what you were thinking of, but you can hold R + L to fast forward through text. I mention this because I only just found out myself. You can also press R, L, Select, Start to soft reset the game, which I should have tried in retrospect since you can do that for other Growlansers.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Fitret posted:

The mechanics are better in 4 and rather than one dungeon you have several with different themes. That said I felt the plot didn't have as much of a momentum; it's very heavily backloaded.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

a medical mystery posted:

That said I felt the plot didn't have as much of a momentum; it's very heavily backloaded.

Persona 3's plot had momentum? That game's story development is barren until at least September, August if you're being generous.

I'd say if you were luke-warm on Persona 3 you should give 4 a chance. More interesting poo poo happens at a better pace and the mechanics and dungeon design are improved. The social links and character interaction tend to have better effort put into them as well. In 3 everyone was either boring as hell or a wacky caricature, but 4 does a good job balancing it.

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 5, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The problem getting into 4 is that there's nothing really driving the plot til maybe October, when things finally start falling into place. Prior to that the group more or less just stumbles around hoping for things to happen. Persona 3 lets you think you know how things work and gives you reasons for things to happen beyond marking on the calendar that something might go down that day.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Speaking of 4, I feel like I'm missing something. I enjoy the gameplay and combat, but it feels like I need to grind to go on in certain points in the beginning. That's fine, but I don't know how many days I can spend doing so without using too much time up. Also, my OCD kicks in the the s-links, but that's just my fault, not the game's.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Though the first dungeon is tricky, it's not hard to clear each dungeon in a day. The hurdle in the first dungeon is not having many SP recovery options and that the boss is a pain in the rear end if you don't have specific skills and personas. You don't have to do it all in one go, but just save your dungeon days for when you have nothing else to do and do as much as you can in the dungeons during those days and you should be fine. Try to find or fuse a Persona with Invigorate in the second dungeon and you should have an easier time of conserving the main characters powers.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

P4 really only has one gotcha on getting all S-Links maxed on the first run and I'm not even sure it's actually a problem. Just be sure to get moving on the last PC's link hard and heavy when you finally get it open.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mr E posted:

Speaking of 4, I feel like I'm missing something. I enjoy the gameplay and combat, but it feels like I need to grind to go on in certain points in the beginning. That's fine, but I don't know how many days I can spend doing so without using too much time up. Also, my OCD kicks in the the s-links, but that's just my fault, not the game's.

The difficulty curve is kinda skewed, in that the game starts off hard then kinda evens off as you progress. I think alot of it has to do with the battle system itself.

The battle system in Persona 3 and 4 rewards aggression. The problem is that, when you start off, you don't have that many skills, or the resources to use those skills. Once you have a good batch of personas (personae?), along with a good party set up you like, then you should not have much trouble clearing dungeons in a few days, if not in one day.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mr E posted:

The first two dungeons are the hardest things in the game.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I am an absolutely huge fan of the Elderscrolls series. For me, Morrowind is pretty much the gold standard for RPGs (and, to be honest, games) and I'd love to find something that has the same sense of "holy poo poo this is a loving world".

Problem is, I'm not really sure where to find that. What I loved about it was how wide the range of experience you could have in it was -- one person could spend their whole time playing the global alchemy component market and leading the Mage's guild, and another could spend all their time creeping around rooftops stealing wine bottles and beating the poo poo out of villagers. That was, for me, the best thing.

I know this is kind of an intangible thing to be asking for, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for games that might offer a similar sense of possibility and adventure.

Thanks a million!

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.
Persona 3 is starting feel a bit more drawn out.
How long did it take for your first play through? I hope I'm not the only one clocked in with 75+ hours in and not a game beaten once.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Speaking of Growlanser -- Damnit, why does Remus look like such a drat girl. "Oh hey she's kinda cu... poo poo." I mean, what the hell is he even wearing? And on top of that, he's an archer, and I really liked having Charlone with a range mod in Growlanser 2 (so exploitable!). She may have been a bit annoying at times but I didn't mind her otherwise. Remus is a wimp AND he's wearing stockings.

Even more disturbing is that Urushihara (the character artist) makes porn of his characters so it makes me wonder if he's got some perverted fantasy of dominating young boys or something. "Here's your new uniform. Put it on." "D-Daisy Dukes? Is this reall-" "Are you a pansy? Put on the drat clothes."

Ugh, looks like he's the only archer.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 5, 2012

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

foutre posted:

I am an absolutely huge fan of the Elderscrolls series. For me, Morrowind is pretty much the gold standard for RPGs (and, to be honest, games) and I'd love to find something that has the same sense of "holy poo poo this is a loving world".

Problem is, I'm not really sure where to find that. What I loved about it was how wide the range of experience you could have in it was -- one person could spend their whole time playing the global alchemy component market and leading the Mage's guild, and another could spend all their time creeping around rooftops stealing wine bottles and beating the poo poo out of villagers. That was, for me, the best thing.

I know this is kind of an intangible thing to be asking for, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for games that might offer a similar sense of possibility and adventure.

Thanks a million!
Skyrim/Oblivion (obviously), Fallout 1/2/3/New Vegas, Sacred (in the sense of magnitude of the world, even though it's one of the buggiest games I've ever played), Ultima VII, Arcanum, Xenoblade Chronicles if you like JRPGs, STALKER, the Gothic games, Shenmue (your best bet for pure immersion in a game, though you have to deal with everything in the game outside of the amazing little touches that continually blow your mind)

Honestly you probably won't find a game to really replicate playing Morrowind for the first time, but maybe try out some MMPORPGs? I don't know a whole lot about them, but there are probably some ones out there that are huge on crafting/lore/immersion and less on the WoW-style grind.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Have there been any recent rpgs that have a party with them? I seem to enjoy those the most, and it seems like they aren't really around anymore. I have an xbox 360 and a PC.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've been playing Persona 3 FES lately and I've been wondering if there are any newer more 'classic' JRPGs in existence. By this I basically mean one with a turn-based battle system. This trend of MMO combat in JRPG games isn't really doing it for me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've been playing Persona 3 FES lately and I've been wondering if there are any newer more 'classic' JRPGs in existence. By this I basically mean one with a turn-based battle system. This trend of MMO combat in JRPG games isn't really doing it for me.

Etrian Odyssey is one series; I absolutely loved Lost Odyssey, which is pretty much straight-up the only other game.

The former is more like P3 where buffs and poo poo will make or break you. The latter is much more my style, and combat is balanced out the gate. Buffs give you an edge instead of leveling the playing field, which is exactly how it should be.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

You might want to give Radiant Historia on the DS a shot.

There's a lot of PS2 games that probably fit that bill, too, such as the two Mana-Khemias, any of the Atelier Iris games, the first Ar tonelico (though the second one is much much better!), the Shadow Hearts games, the Suikoden games, or the Wild Arms games.

If you want to have a bit more unique but still turn based thing, the PC version of The Last Remnant is fantastic, if a bit obtuse in terms of mechanics.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Any of the other SMT games on the PS2, if you haven't already played them, though the Raidou games are action based. Most of the others are rather hard by comparison though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

softcorps posted:

Speaking of Growlanser -- Damnit, why does Remus look like such a drat girl. "Oh hey she's kinda cu... poo poo." I mean, what the hell is he even wearing? And on top of that, he's an archer, and I really liked having Charlone with a range mod in Growlanser 2 (so exploitable!). She may have been a bit annoying at times but I didn't mind her otherwise. Remus is a wimp AND he's wearing stockings.

Even more disturbing is that Urushihara (the character artist) makes porn of his characters so it makes me wonder if he's got some perverted fantasy of dominating young boys or something. "Here's your new uniform. Put it on." "D-Daisy Dukes? Is this reall-" "Are you a pansy? Put on the drat clothes."

Ugh, looks like he's the only archer.
But he's not the only ranged attack character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

The point is more that they're better than Rorona in multiple respects and going back to it after playing those can feel like a major step backwards. If you enjoyed Rorona, you will probably love the poo poo out of the other Arland games (so long as your tolerance for occasional gratuitous fanservice is high enough).

Speaking of which, I'm quite looking forward to Ayesha's North American release. I know virtually nothing about the game, other than it has a soundtrack that is head and shoulders above the Arland games, so it should be quite an experience when it does come out.

But yeah, if you liked Rorona, you almost certainly would like the sequels. The mechanics are vastly improved to be both more efficient and more strategic. Not to say I didn't like Rorona, but the sequels are definitely better.