Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

MurderBot posted:

get ready for the rock hard most solid swole taint in your life

taint bro's 4 lyfe.

What can I do to limit this taint swole? Are there some kind of special pants or something, I really have no idea what I'm doing with this whole biking thing. Just wanna save money on gas, and have an excuse to ride around with my shirt off downtown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

smertrioslol posted:

What can I do to limit this taint swole? Are there some kind of special pants or something, I really have no idea what I'm doing with this whole biking thing. Just wanna save money on gas, and have an excuse to ride around with my shirt off downtown.

Honestly its get used to it. Wearing spankex instead of boxers help but It's just gonna hurt at first.

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense.
AM I POSTING ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE STUPID, WEAK AND WORTHLESS? REMIND ME THAT I AM AN INFANTILE MANCHILD WHO REFUSES TO EAT VEGETABLES
undergarments are for women.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Nillerz posted:

undergarments are for women.

not the women i like

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense.
AM I POSTING ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE STUPID, WEAK AND WORTHLESS? REMIND ME THAT I AM AN INFANTILE MANCHILD WHO REFUSES TO EAT VEGETABLES

Cole posted:

not the women i like

how do you gag them, then?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Nillerz posted:

how do you gag them, then?

Some of us are real men.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

gleep glop posted:

Some of us are real men.

snap!

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

smertrioslol posted:

There are cycling specific shorts that help a lot. Check out Pearl Izumi, Gore, or Icebreaker for their cycling collections. Pearl Izumi is my first recommendation.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

DaNerd posted:

There are cycling specific shorts that help a lot. Check out Pearl Izumi, Gore, or Icebreaker for their cycling collections. Pearl Izumi is my first recommendation.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Today I fell victim to sore taint (who would have guessed riding for two hours after not doing it for 3+ years was a bad idea??)

In other news, I've discovered the joys of fresh salmon. Walmart has these packs of four filets for $5 that are vacuum sealed and they're delicious.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Keeping that in mind as well, since I'll probably be buying a bike next month.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

if you want to start out feeling less like a homosexual roadie, I recommend a pair of cycling shorts. When you realize how much fun cycling is and how you don't want a swollen taint, you'll upgrade to bib shorts.

There's a breakthrough timeframe for the soreness though. It takes a good week of dedicated riding to get into a good groove essentially. Once you get past that point, you should be pretty pain free the rest of the time.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Is anyone using a hornless bike saddle? Heard those are good for your taint/prostate/junk.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Took my record for ABOLC today. Almost the same score: 74 push-ups, 90 sit-ups, and a 15:15 run. 274 total. I mean, it's not terrible considering the quality of PRT and skipped workouts due to field time.

I think I should slow down on the sit-ups because my legs always feel weird on the run. Anyone got some good running tips? I'm one of those thin, in shape looking people that sucks at running.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Ashmole posted:

Anyone got some good running tips?

"The faster you run the faster you're done"

Running at an uncomfortable or even slightly painful speed for 13-14 minutes won't kill you.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Really liking the 5/3/1 program. About to close out the second cycle and I have no complaints so far. It's far more entertaining than a 5x5 is if you've been doing that for a while.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Ashmole posted:

Took my record for ABOLC today. Almost the same score: 74 push-ups, 90 sit-ups, and a 15:15 run. 274 total. I mean, it's not terrible considering the quality of PRT and skipped workouts due to field time.

I think I should slow down on the sit-ups because my legs always feel weird on the run. Anyone got some good running tips? I'm one of those thin, in shape looking people that sucks at running.

Why the devil do you keep doing sit ups after they stopped meaning anything?

To be helpful though, that feeling in your legs, you're probably feeling it in front, up towards your hips? Hip flexors. I'm one of those poor bastards that doesn't use abs to do situps, it's nothing but hip flexors. Ruinis my run nearly the whole first mile.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

not caring here posted:

Why the devil do you keep doing sit ups after they stopped meaning anything?

To be helpful though, that feeling in your legs, you're probably feeling it in front, up towards your hips? Hip flexors. I'm one of those poor bastards that doesn't use abs to do situps, it's nothing but hip flexors. Ruinis my run nearly the whole first mile.

That might be it. I feel like I've been running a lot, but as soon as I hit that track my legs felt really weird...

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

TheUnhorse posted:

Is anyone using a hornless bike saddle? Heard those are good for your taint/prostate/junk.

We have them on our bicycles at work and they're pretty damned comfortable. Not nearly as rough on the taint area.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

smertrioslol posted:

If you are having taint swole there could be a number of things from poor saddle positioning to poor cycling posture to a poor fit on the bike. Give me an e-mail at karthun@live.com and I will give you my cell number and walk you through the problem and hopefully find a solution for ya.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
PRT is still dumb but at least one cadre here is willing to do something besides AGR runs or pushups sit up improvement. Today we did last man ups and it was actually kind of fun. I was that rear end in a top hat who kept going "HOOAH SERGEANT MAJOR/MAM RACE YOU!". They can't resist and I definitely annoyed the poo poo out of them. It's the small things when you're in TRADOC guys. At least the gym here is nice, and has plenty of eye candy to.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 28, 2012

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Just finished the ruck a few hours ago. I offered the idea that we all take turns going to the massage parlor during our shift, and someone else recommended that I get an AAM. 8 miles, with goofy things to carry around, boueys, tires, etc... we made good time.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I started Insanity yesterday. The drat fit test smoked the dog piss out of me, so we'll see how this goes.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

No Butt Stuff posted:

I started Insanity yesterday. The drat fit test smoked the dog piss out of me, so we'll see how this goes.

If you can't pass the fit test, you may want to consider P90X if you're wanting to do the video workout thing. I can get through a P90X workout very easily, but Insanity kicks my rear end.

Does Insanity come with material re: diet? Make sure you're paying as much attention to that as your exercise.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

code:
Exercise		Day 1
Switch Kicks		34
Power Jacks		33
Power Knees		70
Power Jumps		22
Globe Jumps		8
Suicide Jumps		11
Push-up Jacks		20
Low Plank Oblique	29
I don't know how well I did there. It came with a book on picking out your nutrition and eating right. I'm trying to follow it, but I'm also making my own diet, making sure to stay in the calorie restrictions, eating 5 times a day, and making sure I get enough fiber and natural sugars.

Just finished Day 2. I haven't sweat this much in a long time, and I was swearing at the TV, but I didn't feel like I was going to puke for more than a few minutes. Probably helped that I only drank water instead of black coffee all day.

58 days to go. Hoping I can squeeze these in when the new born gets here.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Bumping just to say that by the middle of Week 2, I am keeping a much better pace and actually feeling my body tighten back up again. I've got pretty high hopes that this might get me back to my body type from AIT.

My belt is a little tighter now, and I'm sure it'll keep getting better.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Im getting an ALICE pack for rucking pretty soon. Are there any simple add-ons that can make life with it easier?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
If you're just using it for pt, go with a cheap one off ebay, and use the standard metal frame. (large for ease of packing). I tried using metal weights in my ruck, but they rubbed holes in the pack and turned the frame into metal shavings. Instead, fill a seabag with rubber mulch. Tactical Tailor makes great shoulder straps and kidney pads aswell. Those are about $50 separately. The standard Alice ones are dog poo poo, and will wreck your body when the weight gets significant.

If you need a ruck for actual training, get a large Alice ruck with side pockets, top pouch and a claymore pouch mod, replace the ladder locks with buckles and get the material that sits against the frame reinforced, and a zippered inner draw hood for radios. New, a pack like that will run you about 160-200 bucks. Don't spend any more than that for a modded ALICE. Tactical Tailor and TAG make frames that work with armor and camel backs, and they run ~$70-$80. If you're feeling like mr money bags, go for that Eagle ruck with the bazillion pouches.

Here's a comparison:

Both are the same large ALICE, the modded one is on the left. Main pouch storage is the same, but the additional outside pockets make it easy to get larger items (5lb bags of skitttles) that you need to get to quickly.

One thing you'll want to do if you get the zippered pouches is to wrap the zipper tabs with a little electrical or athletic tape. That way they don't make a lot of noise when you're moving around.

Links: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/packs_bags/rucksacks
http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/aliceframe.aspx
Check Combat Ready for ruck mods, and if they don't offer anything at a reasonable price, shoot me a message. I know a guy that makes solid stuff, but he takes a while to get your gear shipped.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 2, 2012

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 28, 2012

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Grampybone posted:

If you just want to do weighted marches you can get an ALICE frame with a plate holder and skip bothering with finding stuff to pack your ruck with. Also if you are doing it to train for something, you might want to find the pack the something uses because I don't think there's a single military course that uses or even allows ALICE packs anymore.

SFAS

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 28, 2012

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Just entered a raw bench only powerlifting meet. I am so loving stoked to lift a shitload of weight and/or atomize my sternum attempting to do so.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

No Butt Stuff posted:

Bumping just to say that by the middle of Week 2, I am keeping a much better pace and actually feeling my body tighten back up again. I've got pretty high hopes that this might get me back to my body type from AIT.

My belt is a little tighter now, and I'm sure it'll keep getting better.

My body was pure pain for the first couple weeks, and again during weeks 6-7 when you start the new workouts.

On the bright side, after doing it last year I outran almost everybody in my unit on the last PT test and nurses complement the fullness of my veins.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Speaking of rucking: I tried out a marine's arcteryx ruck...holy gently caress it's amazing.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Ashmole posted:

Speaking of rucking: I tried out a marine's arcteryx ruck...holy gently caress it's amazing.

They're actually not very good. They're getting replaced for a variety of reasons(dont fit over armor very well, too tall)

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Veins McGee posted:

They're actually not very good. They're getting replaced for a variety of reasons(dont fit over armor very well, too tall)

I didn't wear an IBA/IOTV with it, so I can see this as an issue. The MOLLE 2 ruck that the army has sucks with the IOTV, at least for me it does.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Grampybone posted:

I think iceslice was saying they use the MOLLE rucks there, so if you want to train for that, you should just grab one of those and throw a couple sand bags in there. I don't know anything first hand about SFAS though.

Oh really? I had read practically everywhere that they were using Large alice rucks. Maybe the information was dated.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Alright so how do I get better at running in boots? Do it more, okay, but I don't have to tell you guys what that impact means for your knees. Any form tricks to know about or something? Feels like running in these boots is all quads because I can't roll off my toes and get my calves into it like normal, am I doing something wrong? Info about prevention of said knee injuries would be helpful too.

Ashmole posted:

Get boots for running. Nikes are awesome for this.

Looking at the Special Field Boot and they look pretty nifty, but are they allowed? Or is that idea that they're training wheels?

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 7, 2012

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

nuncle jimbo posted:

Alright so how do I get better at running in boots? Do it more, okay, but I don't have to tell you guys what that impact means for your knees. Any form tricks to know about or something? Info about prevention of said knee injuries would be helpful too.

Get boots for running. Nikes are awesome for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

nuncle jimbo posted:

Looking at the Special Field Boot and they look pretty nifty, but are they allowed? Or is that idea that they're training wheels?

Pretty sure I know some guys with those. No logos or zippers they should be fine. Really its just a standard boot with a different sole. Of course there is always that rear end in a top hat out there that makes his own standards so..