Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah I mean, it's not like the conquistadors made everything worse forever or killed everybody for no reason. It's just that it seemed a little weird to me that there would be a good guy path and a bad guy path for the storyline. It seems like at best you'd have a bad guy path and a not as bad guy path. When your "to-do" list includes "sail across the ocean and conquer the gently caress out of some territory for Spain so that you can get rich" I would think the number of ways to spin that positively is fairly short. If the good guy option is "I won't slaughter you because you've converted to Christianity, although I guess now you've got smallpox" then I'd be fine with that but I'm not sure that's really what I'd call "good" so much as "less evil."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Playing as a Conquistator in any sort of game is so unappealing to me. I have no interest in playing a Belgian general invading and pillaging Congo, or a British repressing revolts in India, or a French executing Algerian nationalists.

For a contemporary take on the Conquistators, watch this.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Senso posted:

Playing as a Conquistator in any sort of game is so unappealing to me. I have no interest in playing a Belgian general invading and pillaging Congo, or a British repressing revolts in India, or a French executing Algerian nationalists.

For a contemporary take on the Conquistators, watch this.

I have an interest in all of these things, but mostly because I have an interest in my actions being legitimately depicted as amoral and even shameful in videogames. It'd take way more maturity than almost any game developer has shown, though.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

What's the general consensus about Jack Houston and the Necronauts? I think the idea sounds pretty interesting but don't like how he spends more time talking about backer rewards and the team's background in the visual effects industry than the actual game. They have 4 days to go and it looks like they'll just make it.

I backed it when it came out, but... yeah. I like the aesthetic and the genre, and a good adventure game is always worth looking into, but while they've done a good job of illustrating their competencies they've really done gently caress-all to sell the game.

Just the other day, they added a handful of new tiers that are mainly discounts on higher ones-- an extra fiver for the soundtrack, while the older 'with soundtrack' tier gets a HQ version, that sort of thing. Their last-minute focus is definitely on trying to get a few more bucks out of already committed people, which I can understand to some degree, but I think it's going to be too little, too late.

CommissarMega posted:

I don't know; IIRC, some priests were against the way the conquistadors treated the natives. Maybe if you RP as a goodly churchman, the game could turn out that way.

This was the plot to The Mission, though it's set long after the Spanish finished moving in.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Catalina posted:

Thanks! That kind of thing is right up my alley.

No problem, glad you're interested!

...Hmm, speaking of, is Games quite the right place to put this, or is there a more appropriate place?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Fuschia tude posted:

No problem, glad you're interested!

...Hmm, speaking of, is Games quite the right place to put this, or is there a more appropriate place?
Put what?

Games is the right place for this Kickstarter thread, but if you mean a thread for that specific project - negatory. No threads on random projects until they're funded/finished, shy of a case-by-case exception (and usually only for goon-involved projects) issued by the mod team.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 6, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
With ten hours left on their (fortunately) funded project, the Moon Intern folks sent out an e-mail to their $10 backers, asking them to consider becoming part of the testing community, and outlining the processes and stages that they'd be performing testing in. Oh, and yeah, you'll have to bump yourself up to at least $25 to get in on the gig.

Yeah, best of luck with that.

I don't know. I can understand adding new bennies when you're close to the wire, like Necronauts, but it feels really gauche to ask people to more than double their pledges when you're already into stretch goals.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I balked at that when I realized they were asking me to pay to help them improve their game. I'm sure helping out would be fun and everything, but it just feels wrong to me to have to pay extra for it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Unormal posted:

Dude why isn't there a time management/sim game for gaming conventions.

E3Dash.

I was really disappointed when this was just some "actually meeting people" thing. :(

Socializing is difficult. :(

Lordy
Jan 2, 2011
Kickstarter handles this surveys really badly. Or maybe it's the fault of the people sending those out.

I guess I'm supposed to enter one into the Windows column. But I'm not really sure why there is an option for my tier to enter freely how many of which version I want since I think I'm only entitled to one.
Paper sorcerer was even worse he needed my full address and everything to deliver his digital content sometime in the future.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's a combination of the people sending them out, and the bolted-on flexibility of their pledge tiers. Grimoire wasn't originally offering Windows/Mac versions of the game, so that was added in to the Android/iOS pledge level, and you could buy in for more copies that weren't covered by higher levels. Paper Sorcerer did the same thing, I imagine because it was easier to send out a single poll than to slap one together for each of the different tiers.

I'm not sure if it was something he could have configured or not, but making contact information a mandatory field (though one easily N/A'd out) was definitely a misstep.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

What if you'd move in the meantime?

:iiam:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Kickstarter doesn't seem to remove old drives, and most project maintainers seem to stick around to post production updates, so you could probably just send them a direct message. Polls probably feed into a database and make the original process easier.

:iiaca:

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Lordy posted:

Kickstarter handles this surveys really badly. Or maybe it's the fault of the people sending those out.

I guess I'm supposed to enter one into the Windows column. But I'm not really sure why there is an option for my tier to enter freely how many of which version I want since I think I'm only entitled to one.
Paper sorcerer was even worse he needed my full address and everything to deliver his digital content sometime in the future.

Should've seen the Flint and Tinder one. "1) What color do you want your sixth pair to be? 2) What style do you want your third pair in?" All over the place.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lordy posted:

Yeah, this is the project creator's fault. I love that there's a 'how many t-shirts did you order' question when they can see what tier you pledged at, and ask different questions for different reward levels.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Bieeardo posted:

With ten hours left on their (fortunately) funded project, the Moon Intern folks sent out an e-mail to their $10 backers, asking them to consider becoming part of the testing community, and outlining the processes and stages that they'd be performing testing in. Oh, and yeah, you'll have to bump yourself up to at least $25 to get in on the gig.

Yeah, best of luck with that.

I don't know. I can understand adding new bennies when you're close to the wire, like Necronauts, but it feels really gauche to ask people to more than double their pledges when you're already into stretch goals.

I can understand why this would rub people the wrong way. On the other hand I've seen tons of comments from people lamenting that they didn't pledge for the FTL beta (which is really awesome and you should feel bad if you missed it) and maybe an email like this would have nudged (some) of them up to the higher tier. So when the Moon Intern beta looks really great, just remember that they gave you the chance to get a piece of that.

EDIT
Here's the latest post from the FTL thread:

Kinetic Tools posted:

It may be a bit of a boring read, but Justin's story about snatching victory from the jaws of defeat (by intentionally breaching his own ship's hull no less) is very exciting and pounds in even further my personal regret about not backing them for beta access. Game's gonna be awesome.

XenoCrab fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 7, 2012

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
According to project creators, Kickstarter only lets them send one survey to everyone, so they either do a catch-all survey (and figure out the smartasses themselves), or they have to use an external survey system to manually make and send different surveys for different tiers. I imagine Kickstarter wasn't designed for the kind of flexibility creators come up with these days.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
New KS up called "Flight of the Wisp", another small game, only asking for $10k. 2D exploration game, you play a wisp of energy and can turn into various elements in the environment to solve puzzles. For example, they show you turn into water and spray that element on a steel door, then you find a busted cryo tank, turn into the liquid nitrogen or whatever, then freeze the door and it expands, causing it to shatter.

It reminds me a lot of that Puddle game that just came out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgX9S6Qsf0c

Honestly I like this Kickstarter if only for because almost the whole video consists of gameplay from the actual game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

XboxPants posted:

New KS up called "Flight of the Wisp", another small game, only asking for $10k. 2D exploration game, you play a wisp of energy and can turn into various elements in the environment to solve puzzles. For example, they show you turn into water and spray that element on a steel door, then you find a busted cryo tank, turn into the liquid nitrogen or whatever, then freeze the door and it expands, causing it to shatter.
They really inspire confidence with their company website. What other projects have you worked on? PHOENIX DAWN STUDIOS. Who works at your company? PHOENIX DAWN STUDIOS. Will you even tell me anythi- PHOENIX DAWN STUDIOS. For all we know, PHOENIX DAWN STUDIOS is just this dude in San Diego making his first ever game. There's nothing wrong with that of course, but I'm a little wary of giving anyone money when I don't really know who they are. Not sure a physical reward at $35 is a great idea either but since they're just postcards I suppose they can just hope that not many people pledge. On the plus side, they're definitely hitting everything that's hot in video games right now: steampunk, escape from a sinister abandoned laboratory, begin the game with no knowledge of what your purpose is, physics based puzzle sidescroller... the keywords flow abundantly!

And did anyone catch this quote from the video @2:20? "With the five current energy types of water, wind, fire, electric, frost, and heat..." Doesn't sound like 5 to me, buddy, but maybe heat and fire are the same.

Basically this game doesn't look like much fun, so I'm ignoring it, but I've been sort of harsh because at least they've got some gameplay footage to show, so really it's tough to imagine this not turning out at least as mediocre as it looks in the video (which is more than you can say about genuinely lovely Kickstarters that deservedly fail).

edit: turns out if you click on the name of the studio on Kickstarter you get a bit of info. It's the dude in the video, who worked for 38 Studios, plus a recently graduated CompSci guy. So that's good to know. That should probably be on their website somewhere but whatever.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 7, 2012

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

They really inspire confidence with their company website. What other projects have you worked on? PHOENIX DAWN STUDIOS. Who works at your company? PHOENIX DAWN STUDIOS. Will you even tell me anythi- PHOENIX DAWN STUDIOS. For all we know, PHOENIX DAWN STUDIOS is just this dude in San Diego making his first ever game. There's nothing wrong with that of course, but I'm a little wary of giving anyone money when I don't really know who they are. Not sure a physical reward at $35 is a great idea either but since they're just postcards I suppose they can just hope that not many people pledge. On the plus side, they're definitely hitting everything that's hot in video games right now: steampunk, escape from a sinister abandoned laboratory, begin the game with no knowledge of what your purpose is, physics based puzzle sidescroller... the keywords flow abundantly!

And did anyone catch this quote from the video @2:20? "With the five current energy types of water, wind, fire, electric, frost, and heat..." Doesn't sound like 5 to me, buddy, but maybe heat and fire are the same.

Basically this game doesn't look like much fun, so I'm ignoring it, but I've been sort of harsh because at least they've got some gameplay footage to show, so really it's tough to imagine this not turning out at least as mediocre as it looks in the video (which is more than you can say about genuinely lovely Kickstarters that deservedly fail).

edit: turns out if you click on the name of the studio on Kickstarter you get a bit of info. It's the dude in the video, who worked for 38 Studios, plus a recently graduated CompSci guy. So that's good to know. That should probably be on their website somewhere but whatever.

Lately I've been noticing that a lot of the genuine "start-up" kickstarters seem to want to use their Kickstarter page as the website for the game. They want that to be the page on the internet that people go to when they want to read about the project. I can't say that I think it's a bad idea, though I definitely can see how it makes them look unprofessional, too.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the Kickstarters I've looked into have basically just had blogs (and maybe a forum) for their websites, if anything. Since KS updates are basically blog posts, it's a duplication of effort.

That and most people wouldn't really know the innards of a professional looking website if they oozed up and bit them in the rear end. Hosting and web dev is a lot more annoying than just pointing people at the campaign page, especially given that starting a Kickstarter is free.

Lordy
Jan 2, 2011
The AVGN promoted this Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/343248998/cheetahmen-ii-the-lost-levels?ref=live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ChiQva0TyU
Basically they want 65000 dollars to fix Cheetahman II and for only 60 dollars you can get your boxed copy. Also you get no game if you planned on spending less than 60 dollars, you could get a nice poster for 15 dollars or a comic for 5. Oh and the Kickstarter is in all capslock.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

So I guess we've already moved to the "Kickstarters as performance art" stage? I can get behind that, I suppose.

(not that I'd actually support this kickstarter, but if AVGN had originally had a previous kickstarter to fund the production of the current Cheetahmen II farce one, I would have considered giving a buck to that)

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
9th Dawn:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/valorware/9th-dawn?ref=category

This actually looks somewhat nifty, if somewhat simply at the moment. Reminds me quite a bit of the old Exile games.

Meanwhile:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vitaumbra/vita-umbra-the-life-of-shadows?ref=category

Who would throw nearly $700 at that trash :stonk:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Lordy posted:

The AVGN promoted this Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/343248998/cheetahmen-ii-the-lost-levels?ref=live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ChiQva0TyU
Basically they want 65000 dollars to fix Cheetahman II and for only 60 dollars you can get your boxed copy. Also you get no game if you planned on spending less than 60 dollars, you could get a nice poster for 15 dollars or a comic for 5. Oh and the Kickstarter is in all capslock.

There is already a ROM hack that fixes the level 4 glitch. But I know that's not what this kickstarter and the 65000 bux are really about. Also running the current fixed cheetahmen 2 on the real hardware takes some tech that will probably run you more than $60. I could understand if collectors that gotta catch all the NES carts backed this.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

"Stretch Goals (right click image and open in new tab if you are having trouble reading it)"

The best thing is, for brainstorming like a sixteen year old with the BEST IDEA EVER and setting his goal at $500, he's already walking away with even more than that.

Edit: Oh god, I missed the FAQ. 'Will this support the ooya?' 'Due to engine limitations, I cannot port my project over to android.'

In other news, I admit that I'm a little surprised, but definitely pleased, to discover that Jack Houston and the Necronauts has actually managed to drag itself past the goalposts with two and a half days left. Right now there's still 51 hours to the end of the drive, if anyone was still on the fence.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 8, 2012

swolf
Aug 25, 2004
i need instructions on how to rock
I don't think it's been mentioned here yet, but if you were a fan of the Insurgency mod for half life 2 from a few years ago, the (most of the) original team is working on a sequel:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/newworldinteractive/insurgency-2

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

D'aww, that's sweet. Mom will have a whole dungeon named after her!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Edit: beaten.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

swolf posted:

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet, but if you were a fan of the Insurgency mod for half life 2 from a few years ago, the (most of the) original team is working on a sequel:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/newworldinteractive/insurgency-2

They tried to sell it then and couldn't so they think they will be able to now?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

LumberingTroll posted:

After the success of Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shoo- sorry, the success of Takedown, I guess they figured that a team with the proven ability to make this sort of game would have some success too. Unfortunately, just like Ground Branch, it looks like the money for these things has dried up, magically, or maybe the Kickstarter fever has died down to the point where people won't throw money at anything with the words "video game" in the pitch.

edit: actually I just checked Ground Branch again and it actually had lots of money pledged, it's just that its goal was huge. So Insurgency is probably suffering a bit from being a direct followup to something people have actually played (and thus something people can actually have a critical [and negative] opinion about) whereas something more nebulous can ride the elevator of people's hopes and dreams straight into their bank account. Also maybe people are tired of fighting in the Middle East, which is funny because the original mod had some really unique theaters of conflict that haven't been done in any other game, I think.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 8, 2012

William Shatner
May 11, 2005

Is today the day we will leave Ridgeview?

XboxPants posted:

That actually looks like it could be really cool. Reminds me of that Warhammer moba-type game, but with a world, towns, etc. If they do a better job than the Warhammer guys did, it could be really cool, like a fantasy SMNC.
Developer here. This is very much what we're going for! Now if we could just get some traction on our Kickstarter. It's difficult getting people to part with their 15 McBucks when we don't have a publisher hammering on PR everywhere!

We released a new trailer today. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIo-UwnixJA

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

William Shatner posted:

Developer here. This is very much what we're going for! Now if we could just get some traction on our Kickstarter. It's difficult getting people to part with their 15 McBucks when we don't have a publisher hammering on PR everywhere!

Hey, that's your job now. :cheeky: Really, though. I can't find it right now, but I did just read a really good Kickstarter success guide from a video game project that did really well and they straight out said that you shouldn't expect to get any actual work done during the time your KS is up. Anything you create during that time could just all be for naught if it doesn't get funded and you have to give up the project, after all.

Anyone have any idea what article it may have been? I think it was really recent, like the last week or so.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Rack n Ruin looks pretty good. It's a 2D top down action-adventure game being developed for the PC, Mac, and iOS. You play as a little devil named Rack, who has a big appetite for destruction. The game will feature realtime combat, exploration, puzzle solving, and a clever story, all played out in rich HD hand drawn visuals. It's only $10, and Brian Clevinger (of Atomic Robo/8-Bit Theater fame) is doing the writing, so I think it could be pretty good.

Edit: Didn't add a link :downs:

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 8, 2012

swolf
Aug 25, 2004
i need instructions on how to rock

LumberingTroll posted:

When did they try to sell it before?

William Shatner
May 11, 2005

Is today the day we will leave Ridgeview?

XboxPants posted:

Hey, that's your job now. :cheeky: Really, though. I can't find it right now, but I did just read a really good Kickstarter success guide from a video game project that did really well and they straight out said that you shouldn't expect to get any actual work done during the time your KS is up. Anything you create during that time could just all be for naught if it doesn't get funded and you have to give up the project, after all.

Anyone have any idea what article it may have been? I think it was really recent, like the last week or so.
Well, we won't be giving up the project if the KS doesn't make it. We've been working on it over a year already. It's just astonishing how some Kickstarters take off like a rocket, and others just languish.

I'm finding it amusing the disconnect between the number of Facebook likes and backers. We have nearly 300 likes, but only 120 backers. What?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

William Shatner posted:

I'm finding it amusing the disconnect between the number of Facebook likes and backers. We have nearly 300 likes, but only 120 backers. What?

Double Fine have said this was an issue with their older games. They'd get a hardcore fanbase for a release and gamers everywhere would swear what a good game it was, but looking at the sales figures barely anyone bought it.

The easiest answer is that it's easier for you to say you support something than actually doing something about it. See: Charities :smith:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

William Shatner posted:

Well, we won't be giving up the project if the KS doesn't make it. We've been working on it over a year already. It's just astonishing how some Kickstarters take off like a rocket, and others just languish.

Buck up, with that ratio, if you can get 32,640 more backers, you'll win!

On a less smart-rear end note, I just noticed something about your project. Admittedly I hadn't read everything on the page before, but it was only just now that I realized this isn't going to be a free-to-play game. Even though there's nothing specifically to indicate it is, with the whole MOBA-style gameplay I guess I just assumed it was.

You might want to highlight that this is not a free to play game. Lots of people aren't into that style, and if they know this is going to be a classic "pay once and get a fully fleshed out product" game, it may change their opinion on this. Even if they don't think it's a free-to-play game, it's good to highlight how your game is different from other similar games. I'm sure there are people who have played various F2P arena games and been put off by the microtransactions, and if you mention that this game won't be like that, maybe it will help.

edit: and in response to the whole "why don't people who like this buy it?" thing; do you buy every game you like or think looks cool? Because most people don't.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

William Shatner posted:

People like things so they will show up in their News feed too. It doesn't mean their willing to throw down money yet.

I imagine you're going to have to change the name though. I think the folks over at WildTangent Games are going to have an issue with it when they already made a game named Fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Castle Story passed 400k recently.

I just wonder if you can mine so hard the islands stop floating.

MINE HARDER.