Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
This is definitely what I was thinking of when trying to remember the other guy's arcade FPS, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006
I'm trying to remember a game I played for PC not that long ago, couple years maybe.. Was a PC game where you started out by choosing a class from like, priest, thief, merchant And then you were placed into a town (with other towns on the map) and could build up your buildings / stores and sell crap. If you were a priest you could make and sell crosses or something.

There was a whole political side of the game where you could accuse your rivals and take them to court. Also a family/heir side to it.

Any ideas?

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
I'm looking for a freeware PC game, no idea what it's called.

You play as a schoolgirl taking a timed test at first, but something gets hosed up and reality goes to hell around you.

The entire game was timed, and no matter where you were when time ran out, you would fail. I vaguely remember being able to be eaten by an alligator and things of that nature.

It had a very sketchy art style, and was very spastic and surreal.

I also remember that when you failed, the "restart game" button said GENUFLECT in all caps.

Can anyone help?

EDIT: I've done some looking myself, and the only game that came up with a connection to the word "genuflect" is some weird visual novel called OMGWTFOTL. And it is most definitely not that game.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

dahkren posted:

I'm trying to remember a game I played for PC not that long ago, couple years maybe.. Was a PC game where you started out by choosing a class from like, priest, thief, merchant And then you were placed into a town (with other towns on the map) and could build up your buildings / stores and sell crap. If you were a priest you could make and sell crosses or something.

There was a whole political side of the game where you could accuse your rivals and take them to court. Also a family/heir side to it.

Any ideas?

Probably Europa 1400: The Guild or it's sequel.

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006

That's it! Thanks much

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Trying to remember a Gameboy/GBA(pretty sure it was GBA) game I played as a kid. It was a Looney Toons game where You controlled various Looney Toon characters and each had their own special ability(Speedy Gonzales could run fast, Road Runner could dash, Tweety could fly ect.). It was a bit Metroid-y in that you'd find obstacles which couldn't be passed/solved until you got specific characters.
Any ideas?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Cbouncerrun posted:

Trying to remember a Gameboy/GBA(pretty sure it was GBA) game I played as a kid. It was a Looney Toons game where You controlled various Looney Toon characters and each had their own special ability(Speedy Gonzales could run fast, Road Runner could dash, Tweety could fly ect.). It was a bit Metroid-y in that you'd find obstacles which couldn't be passed/solved until you got specific characters.
Any ideas?

Looney Tunes Collector: Alert!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yep, that looks like it. Thanks.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
There was this oldish PC game I played the trial of. It was a bit like one of those Choose Your Own Adventure real life games but your place in life was randomized so one playthrough you could be well-off in America or dirt poor in the third world.
It was download only I think.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oppenheimer posted:

There was this oldish PC game I played the trial of. It was a bit like one of those Choose Your Own Adventure real life games but your place in life was randomized so one playthrough you could be well-off in America or dirt poor in the third world.
It was download only I think.

Real Lives?

JfishPirate posted:

Another year, another post to try to figure this game out.

That sounds like Realm of the Mad God, which isn't 1995 but it might help you if you can find out what inspired it etc.

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
I am trying to remember an RTS game. You had to control these blue people and develop a town. You had to put the villagers into schools so they could learn and become different types of workers and you could have them gather berries and such. There was a mayor character maybe, but I really can't remember.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Trying to remember the name of a point-and-click adventure game from the early 90's. You start off as a regular guy that gets transported into this dark art deco city where everyone thinks you're this noire comic book hero, and you have to figure out what happened to the previous hero.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

JoeCool posted:

I am trying to remember an RTS game. You had to control these blue people and develop a town. You had to put the villagers into schools so they could learn and become different types of workers and you could have them gather berries and such. There was a mayor character maybe, but I really can't remember.

Could be The Nations. The Gold edition is up on GOG.com if that's it and you're feeling nostalgic.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Scorchy posted:

Trying to remember the name of a point-and-click adventure game from the early 90's. You start off as a regular guy that gets transported into this dark art deco city where everyone thinks you're this noire comic book hero, and you have to figure out what happened to the previous hero.

Oh, this is Noctropolis.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

scamtank posted:

Oh, this is Noctropolis.

Yes that was it, thanks. What a bad game but I suddenly wanted to replay it for whatever reason.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe

You're a hero, man.

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Could be The Nations. The Gold edition is up on GOG.com if that's it and you're feeling nostalgic.
This is exactly it. Holy poo poo I thought this game was forgotten in time.

Camille
Apr 6, 2011
I'm curious, and I'm looking for a game that was probably the first ones I'd ever played. It would have been the early 90s, and it was ON PC. Most likely an early apple PC. I remember waiting my turn to sit at the computer and click the game icon on the desktop. It may have been an red apple itself or something? Or Snow White? If it was a female figure, it definitely reminded me of Snow White. It was a mario-style game were you progressed and jumped over obstacles, but there were enemies, as well. It was kind of creepy/fantasy? I also remember your standard halloween trees in the background... you know, the twisted ones with no leaves.
This was around preschool, so I'm sorry I can't summon a better memory...

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
That's incredibly vague but it sounds a little like Jill of the Jungle maybe?

Camille
Apr 6, 2011

Dewgy posted:

That's incredibly vague but it sounds a little like Jill of the Jungle maybe?

hmmm no, but thanks for the suggestion

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
There were a lot of "sort of" Disney platformers released for DOS/Mac right after Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast came out. The one you're talking about may be "Filmation Presents Snow White."

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Camille posted:

hmmm no, but thanks for the suggestion

my guesses would be:
nicky boom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okpRmAg0ttk

or maybe lollypop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQU20M8UiE

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
There was this side-scroller 2D puzzle game on Windows 3.1 (I think) where you had to

• help the blue cat catch the yellow mouse, or
• help the mouse escape before the cat got to it

depending on the level....Or at least that's how I remember it.

Each level had a set number of slopes/food items/trap doors/balloons/etc to solve the puzzle.

The art style was very cartoonish. I remember the mouse having a rather largish blue nose. Or was it a rodent? Sorry, I was very young when I played this and all the details are rather hazy.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Brotato Broth posted:

There was this side-scroller 2D puzzle game on Windows 3.1 (I think) where you had to

• help the blue cat catch the yellow mouse, or
• help the mouse escape before the cat got to it

depending on the level....Or at least that's how I remember it.

Each level had a set number of slopes/food items/trap doors/balloons/etc to solve the puzzle.

The art style was very cartoonish. I remember the mouse having a rather largish blue nose. Or was it a rodent? Sorry, I was very young when I played this and all the details are rather hazy.
Sounds like Sid & Al's Incredible Toons.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

That's exactly it. Thank you very much.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
PS2 game where you're a Samurai and you have a Samurai butler with a cane basket on his back. When you switch weapons he throws you a fresh sword from the basket and you throw the old one back. Thank you.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I'm in need of assistance on these two games!

Back in the late 90's I had a disk with a bunch of sharewares and things like that on it. On of the games was a 100% top down, galleon styled naval combat game. You controlled a single ship and could fire cannons from either side of the boat, sinking enemy ships as you went. The map was finite, and if you went off the edge, you literally went over the edge, and you would see a little animation of you ship falling off of a flat Earth. I thought the game was called "Galleons" or something, but Googling isn't turning up anything!

Game 2 was another game, but I think this one game on a demo disc from a magazine. It involved a hover tank of sorts (FPS POV) with two guns that you could see on either side of the window I believe. The level I remember was wintery. There were sprite based infantry on the ground, but I believe the environment and the vehicles were done in polygons. I don't remember anything else about the game. It was definitely futuristic or Sci-Fi. I want to say the tank was mostly white/grey?

Edit: Wait! Another mystery game has popped up. I barely remember renting this from my childhood. It was a Genesis game. Top down perspective. I just remember running my character through what seemed to be like a long forest, running away from these dark "ninja" dudes. I remember being creeped out as a kid at the way the ninjas moved and chased me. I also didn't figure out how to play the game. They would catch me and kill me. The chasing seemed to be the very beginning.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 7, 2012

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

ToastyPotato posted:

Back in the late 90's I had a disk with a bunch of sharewares and things like that on it. On of the games was a 100% top down, galleon styled naval combat game. You controlled a single ship and could fire cannons from either side of the boat, sinking enemy ships as you went. The map was finite, and if you went off the edge, you literally went over the edge, and you would see a little animation of you ship falling off of a flat Earth. I thought the game was called "Galleons" or something, but Googling isn't turning up anything!

There's Overboard/Shipwreckers, for PSX, possibly.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

HoldYourFire posted:

There's Overboard/Shipwreckers, for PSX, possibly.

The game was completely sprite based. And the viewing angle was straight down. It probably predated the PSX, possibly.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
So this was a game for the original Xbox that was in a first person perspective, but was more focused on brawling than guns. You woke up with amnesia or something, and these crazy supermen were attacking the laboratory you were stuck in. You eventually gained superpowers like being able to block bullets with your arms, and there was some time travel involved.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gann Jerrod posted:

So this was a game for the original Xbox that was in a first person perspective, but was more focused on brawling than guns. You woke up with amnesia or something, and these crazy supermen were attacking the laboratory you were stuck in. You eventually gained superpowers like being able to block bullets with your arms, and there was some time travel involved.
Maybe?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

No, it was a Japanese game.

EDIT: Found it, it's called Breakdown.

Gann Jerrod fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 11, 2012

Harold Ramis Drugs
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I remember there was a strange and innovative PC game circa 98/99/2000 that was a hybrid between the RTS and tower defense genres. I only played it a few times, but I remember that certain towers could cancel out the effects of others, and there was a lot of strategic balance.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Harold Ramis Drugs posted:

I remember there was a strange and innovative PC game circa 98/99/2000 that was a hybrid between the RTS and tower defense genres. I only played it a few times, but I remember that certain towers could cancel out the effects of others, and there was a lot of strategic balance.

Did it involve connecting the towers together via land strips? I feel like there was a big post somewhere about a game like that in Games at some point in the last 2 or 3 years if that is the case.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You're both thinking of Netstorm

Mr.Hell
Nov 10, 2011
Can anyone remember a 2d indie mech versus game that was released within the past few years, and had zero gravity, swords, guns and bombs?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Does anyone know of a late 90's to early 00's FPS with multiplayer, I remember that the close combat weapon was some kind of strange propeller blade that you could fly around with if you aimed up and jumped while you pressed the fire button?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Koorisch posted:

Does anyone know of a late 90's to early 00's FPS with multiplayer, I remember that the close combat weapon was some kind of strange propeller blade that you could fly around with if you aimed up and jumped while you pressed the fire button?
Recoil?
E: aghhhh no it's something else, maybe Ricochet?(not the valve one) this is bugging me now since I own it and it's back home on the third shelf of a bookcase and I know exactly where it is

E2: found it, I think: Redline. Game was half FPS, half combat driving, and you had a whirling blade melee weapon that would let you glide around that I never understood until I was forced to use it on the last boss, who I probably ran out of ammo for

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 21, 2012

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

A SNES game: you played as a kid who had a yo-yo that levelled up into a chained ball, and it levelled down if you got hurt. It had an overworld, and you would go into different levels. I remember one of the levels was in a spaceship on a tropical island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Poniard posted:

A SNES game: you played as a kid who had a yo-yo that levelled up into a chained ball, and it levelled down if you got hurt. It had an overworld, and you would go into different levels. I remember one of the levels was in a spaceship on a tropical island.

You sure it was an SNES game? Sounds like Startropics for the NES.

• Locked thread