Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The package came in today, thanks a bunch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Chiming in as another person who got their stuff today. (Sorry, BooDoug)

I was worried I should get a size larger (cotton and all), but it turned out to be perfect.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Just got a phone call from my mom.

"Some weird shirt came for you in the mail yesterday. I thought it might be for your dad, but it's got the scariest looking farmer on it."

Thanks, Ben!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Jay Dub posted:

Just got a phone call from my mom.

"Some weird shirt came for you in the mail yesterday. I thought it might be for your dad, but it's got the scariest looking farmer on it."

Thanks, Ben!

That is amazing.

Got mine yesterday too! :hellyeah:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ditto, I got my shirt in the mail yesterday too! Thanks! :cheers:

Edit-- should the pin have come with the shirt, or is it mailed separate? Because all I got was the shirt. :saddowns:

Still cool though, gonna wear the shirt (in public!) today. :downs:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 7, 2012

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Xenomrph posted:

Edit-- should the pin have come with the shirt, or is it mailed separate? Because all I got was the shirt. :saddowns:

When I opened my package, the pin was in a tiny plastic bag and kind of wrapped up in the shirt. It was hard to see at first. Check the shirt and the envelope again to make sure you didn't just miss it.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
Welp looks like my shirt came in today. Wife let me know that a package came in and it looks like a shirt so cross fingers!

EDIT: Yep, came in yesterday!

BooDoug187 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 9, 2012

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
The El Paso screening of the work in progress went great! I was able to forget the little sections here and there that still needed fixing and just enjoy it for once as a movie with a crowd. It played very well, and I'm glad that the audience found the awkward edits as consistently entertaining as I do.

After communicating online and over the phone for months, this is the first time I've actually met Jackey Neyman Jones (AKA Debbie) in person. She's a delightful person to spend time with, very much an open book and with many great stories to tell.

The change of venue from the restored movie palace to the ballroom was an unfortunate necessity (as luck would have it, this brought us only a few feet away from where the original premiere had been), but since this was just a work-in-progress screening I wasn't too bothered by it. If they want to exhibit the film again in the future, I'll make sure that El Paso gets it.

The ballroom at first made the event feel a little like a Bar Mitzvah gone weird, and I'm definitely not used to moderating a Q&A, but pretty soon we all got into the swing of things and the audience (many fresh from the Rocky Horror showing) brought a tremendous amount of energy to the evening. I'm sure the fact that the hotel set up a bartender in the corner didn't hurt!

Xenomrph posted:

Still cool though, gonna wear the shirt (in public!) today. :downs:

The pin is in a little baggie and should be folded into the center of the shirt when you get it, but check the remnants of your mailer. A couple of people e-mailed me only to find that they dropped their pin on the floor near where they opened it, or located it stuck in a corner of the package. If you still don't find the pin, message me via Kickstarter! I'm visiting with family now but will be able to send along a new one when I get back to Los Angeles.

The shirts and pins of all U.S. backers should be in the mail, as well as most internationals. Some internationals are left that needed special attention, as they have addresses that require double checking on my end (or involved special characters that my labeler didn't want to display). Any backer who is able to attend a Rifftrax live showing should have the option of wearing their shirt- if you don't get it by then, write me via Kickstarter.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Got my shirt and pin the other day! Gonna be all decked out for Rifftrax live :toot:

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
My shirt and pin are going to be delivered to a downtown apartment in the student ghetto; I hope no one steals it :ohdear: In hindsight I wish I would have sent it to my parent's house.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My hat and pin are waiting at my parents' house (I was afraid I was about to lose mine). Now my only worry is that I gave my size before I lost 30+ pounds.

--edit:

Yep! Got my shirt (and pin). It would have fit me fantastically in February when I ordered it but now I'm swimming in it. Ah well. Not the worst problem to have.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 8, 2012

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Ben Solo posted:

If they want to exhibit the film again in the future, I'll make sure that El Paso gets it.
I hope so, I felt like a bastard having to miss the screening and being only forty minutes away from the theater- my one shot at seeing Manos on the big screen without riffs, as far as I was concerned, which is some kind of surreal "thing you need to do before you die" to me.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jumping on the 'got my shirt & pin!' list. Thank you!

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Because of an awesome mail lady my lovely tshirt and pin have made it to my parents, and thus to me! I'm so glad I'm going to be rocking this shirt at the Live showing.

"Hey Sanguinary Novel, whats this small package? It's from... Ben Soloveigh?"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Go into to work today to pick up my paycheck (I know, I live in the stone age) and while there I was told I had a package in the office. Inside said package was a great t-shirt and pin. Thanks, Ben!

Kircheis
Aug 14, 2007
In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
I also got my shirt & pin the same day as everyone else - thanks! Looking forward to rocking it at next week's Rifftrax!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I got my shirt & pin a day after my roommate Crosshatch got his. :toot:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I hope so, I felt like a bastard having to miss the screening and being only forty minutes away from the theater- my one shot at seeing Manos on the big screen without riffs, as far as I was concerned, which is some kind of surreal "thing you need to do before you die" to me.

The weird thing is that this is still the ONLY way I've seen the film - I've been to see it 3 times on the big-screen without any kind of riffs other than the audience howling with laughter or wooping it up. It's an amazing experience, and hopefully you'll get a chance to not only see it this way, but see it as Ben's fully restored version.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Ben, you have been the best thing for Mano's since the original MST3k episode. I know that 'sequel' deal has been in the making, but it seems your restoration has really kicked off a wave of Manos fever. And for that I give you a sincere thank you! :tipshat:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is the pen quality? Pen Type-A has an incredibly troubled history for something so prosaic.

Really great actually.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
So did anybody else go to the rifftrax event tonight with Manos? Pretty drat hilarious riffing of the movie with all the MST3K guys. I can't wait to see the HD version!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is the pen quality? Pen Type-A has an incredibly troubled history for something so prosaic.

On a scale of 1-20, I'd rate it at a Pen 15.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

So did anybody else go to the rifftrax event tonight with Manos? Pretty drat hilarious riffing of the movie with all the MST3K guys. I can't wait to see the HD version!

Plenty seem to've, but they're talking about it in the Rifftrax thread. Short version: It was well worth driving over a hundred miles to see it.

I met a few folks there today, wearing the restoration T-shirt! One of those folks also brought a Tom Servo into the theater.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Goggle Fox posted:

Plenty seem to've, but they're talking about it in the Rifftrax thread. Short version: It was well worth driving over a hundred miles to see it.

I met a few folks there today, wearing the restoration T-shirt! One of those folks also brought a Tom Servo into the theater.

I was watching for shots of anyone in the broadcasted theater wearing the shirt, but I didn't catch any.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Manos sequel looks like self-aware dog poo poo.

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

The Manos sequel looks like self-aware dog poo poo.

When they showed the clips at the end of the Rifftrax Live show I thought it looked like one of those Insane Clown Posse movies they show on HBO at 3am starring David Allen Grier.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

I was there (glad I didn't have to drive a hundred miles) and I wore my shirt. A few people commented on it with approval. In short, a big thumbs up for the Rifftrax guys, and thumbs down for Manos II.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
How did the "Manos II" people manage to get Rifftrax promotion but no mention of the restoration project? Not that it matters too much given that the kickstarter drive is over.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

inignot posted:

How did the "Manos II" people manage to get Rifftrax promotion but no mention of the restoration project? Not that it matters too much given that the kickstarter drive is over.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Also, there's not much for Ben to promote right now, like you said. Ben was at the show, though!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

inignot posted:

The :tinfoil: side of me speculates the Manos print used in the riff came from Rupert himself, and some of the conditions he put in place to allow the Rifftrax guys to use it were that no mention of the Manos restoration could be made and that they must plug his sequel.

It might also explain why the Rifftrax guys have said a couple of times that they have zero plans to release the live show on DVD at any point.

Like I said, that's all speculation on my part, based solely on how Rupert behaved when this project first got rolling. I'm probably reading too much into it. Outside of the actual event, Mike Nelson's talked up this project a bit, including in his interview with boingboing from the other day.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Ballz posted:

The :tinfoil: side of me speculates the Manos print used in the riff came from Rupert himself, and some of the conditions he put in place to allow the Rifftrax guys to use it were that no mention of the Manos restoration could be made and that they must plug his sequel.

It might also explain why the Rifftrax guys have said a couple of times that they have zero plans to release the live show on DVD at any point.

Like I said, that's all speculation on my part, based solely on how Rupert behaved when this project first got rolling. I'm probably reading too much into it. Outside of the actual event, Mike Nelson's talked up this project a bit, including in his interview with boingboing from the other day.

Probably a little too conspiratorial. They never said "this won't be released on DVD," they said "we currently have no plans to release this," i.e. "we want people to come pay to see it live so we will neither confirm nor deny our release plans"

It was probably more like Rupert allowed the Rifftrax crew to screen his clean(er) print for free or really cheaply if they did a little promotion for Manos 2 during the show.

Manos 2 looks loving awful though.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Totally worth going to one of the live streams for me. The print was clearer but still looked like everyone's last known photograph. That vintage print only confirms why Ben's restoration will look so good when it's done. I enjoyed the live bit where they had the in theater gag with the Manos 2 actors. The clips from Manos on the other hand were a little funny and a lot of pointless.

I didn not see anyone wearing restoration t shirt and/or pin, but I may not be the best observer. I had half the audience show up in my theater while I left to go buy a drink.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

I was there (glad I didn't have to drive a hundred miles) and I wore my shirt. A few people commented on it with approval. In short, a big thumbs up for the Rifftrax guys, and thumbs down for Manos II.

Same :) Didn't see anyone else wearing it, but one guy had his pin and we chatted about the project for a bit. It's amazing to see how far this has spread. Now a whole new generation is going to be able to enjoy Torgo's awkward groping in high definition.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

Same :) Didn't see anyone else wearing it, but one guy had his pin and we chatted about the project for a bit. It's amazing to see how far this has spread. Now a whole new generation is going to be able to enjoy Torgo's awkward groping in high definition.

I just realized that Torgo's giant farmer hand pawing towards the camera would be an amazing thing to see in 3D. (Now that'd be a hilarious follow-up project to the Manos restoration. Get on it, Ben!)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Manos II looks to be one of the worst films ever made and I don't mean that lovingly like we all do with Manos.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Rifftrax event was hilarious, the Manos 2 clips were not, and the print was better than the one we're used to, but I couldn't even really tell until they used a few clips of the original in a tribute music video at the end. It was still pretty unclear, washed-out, and had lots of dirt and lines on it. So I'm even more pumped for the actual restoration now.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Why all the goon hate for Manos 2? Did he try to sue Ben or something? Kill some kittens?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Cartoon Man posted:

Why all the goon hate for Manos 2? Did he try to sue Ben or something? Kill some kittens?

Well, a guy with absolutely no background in filmmaking creating an "official" sequel to Manos with professional wrestlers just sounds all kinds of wrong, but in regards to this project, some of his statements and actions shortly after Ben went public are quite -- to put it nicely -- condescending.

This isn't a very big thread, you can go back and re-read some of the play by play, beginning on page 6

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
It's not even his attitude or reaction to a "competing" restoration; it's that Manos 2 is a comedy film that is not funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa

quote:

Munch also is working on a high-definition restoration, as is Ben Solovey, a Los Angeles-based camera operator who stumbled across a 16mm working print of the movie, which is in the public domain, and raised $48,000 via Kickstarter to clean it up and restore it.

There are frictions between the two factions. That came into play last Saturday when the Plaza Classic Film Festival canceled a showing of Solovey's nearly complete restoration after receiving a threatening phone call. They won't say who made that call.
http://www.elpasotimes.com/entertai...elpasotimes.com

I think Rupert wants to promote his restoration over Ben's.

• Locked thread