Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh man, Mitsuru is everything I hoped she would be. This game owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
Still time to sign up for the goonsgarden tourney tonight:

Not starting until probably a little after 10pm eastern time to give the people on the west coast to show up. I'll be streaming the whole thing and recording matches and uploading them to youtube later on.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/btcfkwrvwr

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Policenaut posted:

Oh man, Mitsuru is everything I hoped she would be. This game owns.

I haven't hunkered down with everyone just yet, but shes my day 1 pick so far.

Kanji sadly though, I am not liking like I thought I would. The startup to his run feels maddening.

*ed*

Might as well ask: When I turned the game on originally I dl'ed a patch, now I know this isn't the 360 netcode patch, but just what was it?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I like the way Yosuke plays I just suck really bad at not choking.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Evil Canadian posted:

I don't know what sort of mental snag I am hitting, but I keep thinking the game layout is

code:
A B
C D

instead of what it actually is, and it keeps tripping me up while practicing combos. I might wind up switching over to that eventually though I did try briefly and it is annoying that if you change your buttons, the challenge mode combos do not reflect the new buttons in the listing.

Man, the very FIRST thing I did was change it to
code:
A C D
B
With B+D where D used to be, just in case I slip up. Took maybe 5 minutes to adjust to.

Also,

W.T. Fits posted:

Must Stop Mashing
Yeah, what this guy said :smith:

Thankfully Mitsuru has the best auto-combo though, so I can wean myself off it gradually and without as much punishment as, say, Yosuke. I WILL break that drat habit though.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 8, 2012

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

404GoonNotFound posted:

Thankfully Mitsuru has the best auto-combo though, so I can wean myself off it gradually and without as much punishment as, say, Yosuke. I WILL break that drat habit though.
Mitsuru's autocombo up until the super is literally the best thing she can do midscreen versus a standing opponent for no meter!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

dj_de posted:

Mitsuru's autocombo up until the super is literally the best thing she can do midscreen versus a standing opponent for no meter!

And her Furious Action has a hitbox that is EXACTLY as big as it looks (read: loving HUGE). It's beautiful :syoon:

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Picked up the game this afternoon and loving it. It's probably a good sign that I really can't pick a character to stick with because I like too many of them :unsmith: This isn't leaving my PS3 for a long time.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

404GoonNotFound posted:

And her Furious Action has a hitbox that is EXACTLY as big as it looks (read: loving HUGE). It's beautiful :syoon:

Oh man, tell me about it. The drat thing can nail people through their personas no sweat. I can just throw it out there and tag them.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

dj_de posted:

Is the ABC string vs crouching only? Because that's a waaaaay better combo obviously.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

404GoonNotFound posted:

Man, the very FIRST thing I did was change it to
code:
A C D
B
With B+D where D used to be, just in case I slip up. Took maybe 5 minutes to adjust to.

You know what, I think I might change to that.

404GoonNotFound posted:

It's the stupidest loving hitbox I have ever seen on a DP

Just look at that, that poo poo is bananas

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Fortunately everyone has a guaranteed punish on block on that DP, and it's also not air unblockable. But yeah the hitbox on it is totally nuts, gotta love it.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Fortunately everyone has a guaranteed punish on block on that DP,

Does someone have a DP that isn't punishable on block?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Evil Canadian posted:

Kanji's? I keep hearing how it's the best one in the game, but who fuckin' knows.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

OK I have to ask how do you avoid Naoto's instant death move?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

Just do a high jump. It'll give you the extra time you need.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

When I was playing Kanji online just now, I was regularly doing grabs without pressing a button. I was just moving around with the analog stick, and suddenly kanji would throw out a whiffed grab attempt. Normal's, not his command grabs.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Evil Canadian posted:

A lot of characters can cancel their DP into a super on block to make it safe (or safer). You see Mitsuru players always doing DP -> Bufudyne -> OMC. But you can actually guarantee punish that before the Bufudyne cancel point.

For other examples, Labrys can cancel hers into Gears (which is at advantage on block) even if that isn't all that useful. Yu can cancel his into his beam super. Etc.

S.Labrys can also make hers safe by having her Persona attack along with it too.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Kanji's? I keep hearing how it's the best one in the game, but who fuckin' knows.

It WAS one of the best in the game, but it got nerfed in v1.02 so it's just PRETTY GOOD now. It's not safe on block at all, but you can cancel it into the chair super which makes it... slightly safer on block.

Radish posted:

Do you mean her stupid Fatal super that puts the targets on the screen? You just stand/duck where the targets aren't. They always appear in the same places and there is a ton of startup. Really easy once you've seen it once or twice.

Or were you walking about the other supers, the Mudo and Hama? The Fate meter (the skulls) work kind of like HnK. If you lose them all, you can be hit with those IK moves and you die instantly. There's a bunch of rules about how they work, they're actually not all that great in the long run really. Just avoid getting hit too much basically.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 8, 2012

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

axleblaze posted:

Just do a high jump. It'll give you the extra time you need.

Sweet thanks! Now to figure out what Sukukaja does besides making dashes longer.

Yeah I was talking about her fatal. Just seems that no matter where I went a target was close enough to nab me every time.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Evil Canadian posted:

You know what, I think I might change to that.

It's the stupidest loving hitbox I have ever seen on a DP

Just look at that, that poo poo is bananas

It's a well balanced and skillful ability

(aka It's my loving crutch online :cripes: )

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 8, 2012

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Just picked this up after not reading or watching much about it, I just love the Persona/SMT series and I love Arc System Works fighting games so I've had it preordered for months. So far it hasn't disappointed at all.

It seems to me that Chie's auto-combo is a little insane right now. I used it to waltz through Arcade mode after using about 15 continues in my Yu playthrough (shut up, it's a flashy game and I read the instruction manual in between rounds instead of wasting time in the training mode). Then I went online and trashed two people with higher player ratings than me just by abusing auto-combos and the gold burst SP bonus to eke out a single round win. Both times I got trounced the second round, but got enough burst gauge left to do another gold burst and then Galactic Punt them. Tsk tsk, pay more attention guys.

It's weird as hell having Yu all chatty.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
It looks like the tournaments started, and there's already a win...

Where's the stream?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Ryoshi posted:

Galactic Punt

The best reason to pick Chie. NEVER FORGET! :911:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Does anyone know by how much installing to the hard drive cuts down on the load times on Xbox 360?

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 8, 2012

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Killer Queen posted:

Does anyone know by how much installing to the hard drive cuts down on the load times?

On PS3, the install makes everything load practically instantly.

hyung
Jul 22, 2012
Despite my initial concerns about the game, I caved in and bought it. This is one of the few instances where the product is actually a lot better than my first impression of it. The training mode is quite intuitive, the graphics are beautiful, and the game plays smoothly. The music owns, too.

hyung fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 8, 2012

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
This is a long shot but does anyone have any advice on getting the Persona to hit all the way down on Yukiko 29? It's like Yu's gravity is higher than it is in the demo video, dude always falls out of the j.4D no matter how I time it and the SP Agi explosions :I

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I know the voice actor for Adachi is the same guy that did the main character's voice in battle and stuff but it looks like he's doing everything for him now. When he talks in the story I can't not hear Adachi saying it...

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I sure love me some Challenge Mode combos. I've only done 29 for Labrys so far, with 20-25 for most everyone else. Speaking of Labrys 29, there's a non-obvious trick you need to know to do it. When Labrys does her 22+attack special, she can charge it to delay the sword from popping out of the ground. What the game doesn't outright tell you is that you can switch the button you charge with without changing where the sword pops out as long as you switch held buttons before the animation of the sword entering the ground. The challenge calls for 22[A] with a Standing A right after it, so what you can do is 22A~[C] into the A 2B XX super.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Challenge modes are definitely worthy of the name. As a fighting game neophyte, they're really difficult, especially since the whole quarter-circle thing is sometimes hard enough on its own.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Radish posted:

I know the voice actor for Adachi is the same guy that did the main character's voice in battle and stuff but it looks like he's doing everything for him now. When he talks in the story I can't not hear Adachi saying it...

I can because whenever I remember Adachi's voice it's whenever he's loving nuts since that's when he's most memorable..

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Neeksy posted:

Challenge modes are definitely worthy of the name. As a fighting game neophyte, they're really difficult, especially since the whole quarter-circle thing is sometimes hard enough on its own.

Just consider yourself lucky that you don't have to learn how to buffer a 720 in this game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

According to something I read, Teddie's name in Japanese is just "Kuma." "Bear." Probably wouldn't have translated as well... hm. Couldn't they have called him "Barry?"

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Sorry I missed the goon tournament guys, I had some people over to play and totally forgot I signed up for it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Speedball posted:

According to something I read, Teddie's name in Japanese is just "Kuma." "Bear." Probably wouldn't have translated as well... hm. Couldn't they have called him "Barry?"

No, because that would not be as great as "Teddie".

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

No, because that would not be as great as "Teddie".

Yeah, on second thought, this is probably correct!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Radish posted:

Just waiting for Yu to start calling women bitches, and to become a creepy raper guy.

E: I guess I should spoiler that

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
Well I got knocked out of the tournament. I was surprised there weren't any other Kanjis I saw. Fun stuff, I'm looking forward to the Week 1 tournament.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Oh my god Labrys's story mode made me cry like a little girl when I realized why she said she kept saying that she was the student council president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skog
Aug 20, 2009
I guess Labrys must have been built at the Kirijo Lab in Boston

• Locked thread