Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Do you destroy Naoto's as well? Right now that's opposite difficulties as Teddie for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

cronox2 posted:

Do you destroy Naoto's as well? Right now that's opposite difficulties as Teddie for me.

I love fighting Naotos online. They always, always fall for 2d teddie traps.

Mr. Sunabouzu fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 9, 2012

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh wait, fighting game snob thread. Right. Sorry.

I'm not a fighting game snob at all, there's demonstrations of every challenge mode combo you can see by opening the pause menu and selecting Demonstration. It's also on some button I think RT is the default. Just watch those if you can't figure out the combos.

I do agree that there should be some indication that you need to double jump or jump cancel something but it's not that hard to figure it out otherwise.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I love all of the silly wordplay with Elizabeth and Teddie. Some might consider them "cheap laughs," but that sort of humor is my favorite.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

6 hours later and I still have not managed to beat an online Kanji with Teddie. Got close once or twice though.

kanji pro-tip number 1, you can duck his flying tackle grab

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

404GoonNotFound posted:

Can it really be that glue... glue? Flu? Influenza? :pseudo:

God it's been too long. I can't believe it's been 4 years since P4.

I've just started Akihiko's, and it's already amazing. "I need a double shot of protein!...Make it quick, it's only half as effective 30 minutes after I burn calories."

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
Finished everyone's story mode last night.

...with 99% :(

No idea what the last 1% could be.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Troffen posted:

You know this game has double jumps, right?

Oh sweet, now I can do that combo

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

Elec posted:

Finished everyone's story mode last night.

...with 99% :(

No idea what the last 1% could be.

Didn't someone earlier say you have to pick every decision possible? I think that means go back and play Yu and pick the ones you haven't.

edit: Oh yeah, Chie combos that are NOT in the corner. No matter how I hit confirm I always end on QCF+A x2 then QCF+C. I never do more than around 3000 damage so the combos suck, help?

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 9, 2012

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh right, now I remember why training/challenge modes in fighters are horseshit. They expect you to pull off absurd 1-frame link BS that no normal-rear end player with a gamepad's going to be able to pull off with any kind of regularity.

Now I remember why I stopped bothering with SF4's stupid-rear end training mode. It doesn't actually train you how to do anything and in fact only makes you loathe trying to do stuff like that! Most of the people you fight online are gonna mash, so gently caress this noise. I don't care what you unlock for doing this. There's no way in hell I'm doing all these. At 20 on Naoto's and I already wanna strangle the developers.

Jump and hit A-Y-A-Y-B, yeah that's just shy of completely loving impossible. Been trying for over five minutes and I haven't gotten past the second hit one god drat time. Oh wait, that's because by that time you loving land!

Nope.

E: Hahahaha, these can't be done by normal loving humans. Looked at some of the later ones. But even 23 is loving nigh impossible. Go from a five-button mash to busting out a double hadoken motion. Yeah that isn't gonna be happening, game. Eat poo poo.

I'm probably gonna get probated for this but holy poo poo lmao at this post.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Standard hitconfirms are not gonna do more than 2-3k in this game unless your name is Aigis or you spend lots of meter. The real big combos come from fatal counters, corner combos, and using One More Burst. It's usually better in most cases to sacrifice a bit of damage to go for setups until they're in a range you can kill them in one combo, then blow all your meter.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

I just had a friend over to play a bunch of random matches so I'd have a human opponent to figure things out on. Turns out I'm bad at fighting games and lost most of my matches to him mashing Auto-Combos and the occasional P Combo. :downs: So far I've really been enjoying playing as Elizabeth, but I need to figure out a better combo for her than the weak C-C-C-C-D I managed to get through Arcade mode with. Anyone have any tips for playing as her?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Buhbuhj posted:

I'm probably gonna get probated for this but holy poo poo lmao at this post.

It gets better.

https://twitter.com/ChibiSoma

:allears:

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh right, now I remember why training/challenge modes in fighters are horseshit. They expect you to pull off absurd 1-frame link BS that no normal-rear end player with a gamepad's going to be able to pull off with any kind of regularity.

Now I remember why I stopped bothering with SF4's stupid-rear end training mode. It doesn't actually train you how to do anything and in fact only makes you loathe trying to do stuff like that! Most of the people you fight online are gonna mash, so gently caress this noise. I don't care what you unlock for doing this. There's no way in hell I'm doing all these. At 20 on Naoto's and I already wanna strangle the developers.

Jump and hit A-Y-A-Y-B, yeah that's just shy of completely loving impossible. Been trying for over five minutes and I haven't gotten past the second hit one god drat time. Oh wait, that's because by that time you loving land!

Nope.

E: Hahahaha, these can't be done by normal loving humans. Looked at some of the later ones. But even 23 is loving nigh impossible. Go from a five-button mash to busting out a double hadoken motion. Yeah that isn't gonna be happening, game. Eat poo poo.

People enjoying something that you don't doesn't make them snobs you stupid turd. And lmao that you took to Twitter to insult people who had the gall to disagree with you here.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 9, 2012

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is too absurd to be real hahaha.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

This is a thing of beauty.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Why is chibisoma even interested in this game? Chie and Yukiko don't make out, it's just another tuxedo mask yawn sailor moon game.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Veev posted:

Why is chibisoma even interested in this game? Chie and Yukiko don't make out,

Hey man, just cuz you arent picking the right story mode paths doesnt mean it doesnt happen!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Aw, man. Looks like Fuuka doesn't have the same voice. She doesn't seem to have a lot of scenes so it's understandable that they wouldn't shill out the money, but it still depresses me.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I can't get past like 22 on any other characters but all of Naoto's challenges are pretty easy except for #30, I have no idea how to even begin doing a 10k damage combo.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

I can't get past like 22 on any other characters but all of Naoto's challenges are pretty easy except for #30, I have no idea how to even begin doing a 10k damage combo.

The only 30 I've done I had to youtube. I'm not saying you should but you know you wanna.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Oh my loving god. This is the Twitter feed of someone committed. It has to be. I can't believe it's real otherwise.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
I've found most of the trial 30 combos require you to use a one more burst, so keep that in mind when you're trying to figure them out.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Killer Queen posted:

Oh my loving god. This is the Twitter feed of someone committed. It has to be. I can't believe it's real otherwise.

How are they committed they couldn't even finish a simple combo. :rimshot:

Now can you giant, defensive fighting game snobs go back to destroying your hands. It's what you do!

e: VVV Get as many challenges done with the character(s) you like then bounce around training and arcade a bit then go online. Some of the challenges really help point out how a character can do some cheap and easy damage.

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 9, 2012

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009
Can I get a quick bit of advice?

I've never been great at Arksys games - more of an SF guy myself. Is it better to just get the basic controls down and jump into arcade/online mode at the beginning, or is it better to do shitloads of training mode.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

The Grimace posted:

Aw, man. Looks like Fuuka doesn't have the same voice. She doesn't seem to have a lot of scenes so it's understandable that they wouldn't shill out the money, but it still depresses me.

She sounds the same to me.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

2012 posted:

Can I get a quick bit of advice?

I've never been great at Arksys games - more of an SF guy myself. Is it better to just get the basic controls down and jump into arcade/online mode at the beginning, or is it better to do shitloads of training mode.

Do the tutorials. Then pick a character, do their challenges at least to learn their special moves and most basic combos. Then mess with them in training/arcade/story until you know all their moves, and as soon as you're comfortable with that start messing with fighting real people.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Cityinthesea posted:

She sounds the same to me.

One of the Atlus people said that everybody except Chie and Teddie is the same.

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

Do the tutorials. Then pick a character, do their challenges at least to learn their special moves and most basic combos. Then mess with them in training/arcade/story until you know all their moves, and as soon as you're comfortable with that start messing with fighting real people.

Cool cool. Thanks. This game definitely feels like I can't just pick it up and beat people with honed fighting game logic. Gotta get those juggles down.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Spikey posted:

Huh, really? She sounds much more outgoing than in Persona 3. Maybe my ears are just busted, or maybe she just has different direction, or something.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Spikey posted:

Then did they change her VA between Fes and P3P? That might explain it.*
*Never actually played P3P or got to any of Fuuka's scenes in Arena yet.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

2012 posted:

Cool cool. Thanks. This game definitely feels like I can't just pick it up and beat people with honed fighting game logic. Gotta get those juggles down.

Well one of the nice things is that if you KNOW they're gonna press a button you can press b+d and beat it, without having to get good at reversal DPs or knowing character specific stuff or anything. Or, if you need a punish or hit confirm but are too flustered to do a real combo, auto combo is actually pretty decent for most characters so you can go to that if you need it. The game actually scales down in skill/experience levels pretty well without feeling random.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
According to the Atlus guy on the Levelup stream the xbox patch could be out as soon as tonight!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's the same VA. She just changed her voice some to account for the year difference between this and P3, plus, yeah, she probably had some different direction. Being more outgoing fits the development she got in P3, assuming you maxed her S. Link.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It really doesn't sound like Mela Lee at all, it sounds more like Wendee Lee in all honesty.

EDIT: Yeah, I listened again it's definitely Wendee Lee.

DOUBLE EDIT: Unless they list the voice cast in the game in which case I need to pay attention to the credits.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: They do not list the voice cast, so I'm sticking with my current assumption.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 9, 2012

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
Just played a few matches with some of you goons. I learned something today. When Elizabeth and dealing with Chie or anyone for that matter. 2B and well B overall is your friend. I will cherish you forever B.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
Just finished an evening playing ranked matches on xbox with Kanji and drat the manliness was just amazing. The net lag was horrendous with half the matches though. Once I figured out the pace of that character it was brutal man love the entire time.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

Konstruct posted:

Just finished an evening playing ranked matches on xbox with Kanji and drat the manliness was just amazing. The net lag was horrendous with half the matches though. Once I figured out the pace of that character it was brutal man love the entire time.

The pre-fight banter between Kanji and Teddie is probably the best part of this game.

"C'MERE SO I CAN SMOTHER YOU WITH CUTENESS DAMMIT!"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I just got back from Big 2. I did a little bit of commentary and there's two matches that will get uploaded later. One of me vs Alzarath, and another of me vs Chris G.

Please give feedback on the commentary! :) I want to be a commentator for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Started Labrys's story and it's so by the book and predictable, but dammit it's working on me. :smith:

• Locked thread