Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Badingading posted:

I just had a friend over to play a bunch of random matches so I'd have a human opponent to figure things out on. Turns out I'm bad at fighting games and lost most of my matches to him mashing Auto-Combos and the occasional P Combo. :downs: So far I've really been enjoying playing as Elizabeth, but I need to figure out a better combo for her than the weak C-C-C-C-D I managed to get through Arcade mode with. Anyone have any tips for playing as her?
Okay, this may be cheap, but I found a way to pretty much instakill with her. Get 50 SP, then go Mamudoon (double forward quarter circle and circle/B,) wait 3 seconds, then Auto-combo, which will keep them in the air long enough for the blast of darkness to come out. It auto-wins the round. I've only really done it in training, but if you can do that in a real match, you should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
I would really appreciate critique of my play here. Sorry if the video quality is terrible, all I have right now is a twenty dollar capcard.

Second and third matches are against two different Naoto players, fourth is against a Chie, and the last match is my only win so far, against a Yu.

I wanna play a zoning Yukiko, but either I'm playing it wrong or it wasn't something meant to be accoording to the devs.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

ImperialGuard posted:

I would really appreciate critique of my play here. Sorry if the video quality is terrible, all I have right now is a twenty dollar capcard.

Second and third matches are against two different Naoto players, fourth is against a Chie, and the last match is my only win so far, against a Yu.

I wanna play a zoning Yukiko, but either I'm playing it wrong or it wasn't something meant to be accoording to the devs.
I've only watched two of the matches so far, but it looks like you're just throwing fans and getting blown up when the opponent gets in. Yukiko has a great A that can be hit-confirmed/autocomboed into her basic bnb. Don't just throw fans, throw out D or c.D and cover it with fans. Don't forget to use your bursts, either.

Don't underestimate her standing or crouching A!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
This game's plot is like one gigantic carrot dangling on a stick to get people interested in Persona 5. So many drat cliffhangers and additional points that are not solved in the narrative but will be added onto, eventually. I can't complain though, because it's really enjoyable and gets my hopes up. :unsmith: I can't wait to see what they have in store.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
:monocle: Labrys's story mode:

Labrys's "prayer" in Yakushima...Aigis's introduction in Persona 3...I just made the connection. Holy crap, I'm liking a story in a fighting game.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Well I found someone the game doesn't seem to mention anywhere, you can hold the Boot on Mitsuru's qcf qcf A/B super, and if you let go after they crumple, you get a bit more damage out of it.

Conversely, if you let the boot charge all the way, it does something like 4000 damage but nobody would be dumb enough to fall for that.

*ed*

Also she can fake-sweep by holding down the buttons, moves forward but no attack.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 9, 2012

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
I decided to try Arcade mode first, liked it and then did it for all of the characters just to see how I felt about all of them and get the trophy for it.

I still haven't touched story mode.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong :smith:

My favorite to use so far is Yukiko and I think she's going to end up my main. Elizabeth is my second favorite to use so far.

Also I think it's a mark of a good fighting game that a piece of poo poo fighter player like me who's never pulled off a finishing move ever in any other fighting game, is doing a bunch of them now. :woop:

I felt so proud of myself the first time I did it out of training mode. :unsmith:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Katsudon posted:

I decided to try Arcade mode first, liked it and then did it for all of the characters just to see how I felt about all of them and get the trophy for it.

I still haven't touched story mode.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong :smith:

My favorite to use so far is Yukiko and I think she's going to end up my main. Elizabeth is my second favorite to use so far.

Also I think it's a mark of a good fighting game that a piece of poo poo fighter player like me who's never pulled off a finishing move ever in any other fighting game, is doing a bunch of them now. :woop:

I felt so proud of myself the first time I did it out of training mode. :unsmith:

Nothing wrong with that. Story modes do take a while and there's a lot of text and cutscenes with few fights in-between, so if you're trying to get a feel for the characters, Arcade and Challenge would be your best bet.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I just cannot get the hang of Kanji's 5b 2b chain, I know it doesn't work on standing enemies, but the timing on the thing when it will work is so drat strict it's driving me crazy.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

NecroMonster posted:

I just cannot get the hang of Kanji's 5b 2b chain, I know it doesn't work on standing enemies, but the timing on the thing when it will work is so drat strict it's driving me crazy.

You have to chain it REALLY fast. You can do 5a 2b on crouchers as well and IMO it's an easier link.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

You have to chain it REALLY fast. You can do 5a 2b on crouchers as well and IMO it's an easier link.

I I'm kind of just using 5aa2b on crouchers, I'd prefer 5aa2a5b2b, it's a much easier confirm, but dammit that 5b2b chain has to be done so god damned fast.

I am just loving the fatal counter combos and one more burst combos, feel so manly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It would involve a lot of time and space warping to get it to happen, but you know who I'd love to see as DLC for this game?

Raidou Kuzunoha the 14th! He's already a melee-oriented devil summoner guy known for falling through cracks in reality. Maybe not a Persona-user, but the next best thing.

...Okay I just want another Raidou game, but he could fit in here too!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah but then you don't hear cool mic static and the fantastic "WANT SOME?!".

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

PunkBoy posted:

Nothing wrong with that. Story modes do take a while and there's a lot of text and cutscenes with few fights in-between, so if you're trying to get a feel for the characters, Arcade and Challenge would be your best bet.

Haha wow you were not kidding about there being a lot of text, I just booted up story mode to check it out and see what I could do before bed and had to turn it off because it's way too late for me to be reading what's basically a visual novel.

I'm glad I did arcade first then because I had wanted to try the gameplay itself as soon as possible when I got the game. Also I kind of like that I basically have as much knowledge of the plot now as the arcade goers had before the console release. Makes it a little exciting finding out the full stories.

Speedball posted:

It would involve a lot of time and space warping to get it to happen, but you know who I'd love to see as DLC for this game?

Raidou Kuzunoha the 14th! He's already a melee-oriented devil summoner guy known for falling through cracks in reality. Maybe not a Persona-user, but the next best thing.

...Okay I just want another Raidou game, but he could fit in here too!

It's unlikely but humouring this... in lieu of a Persona they could perhaps pick just one of his demons (Raiho obviously :colbert:) to use. Have a tube animation whenever he uses the persona attacks, it wouldn't look too weird. The bigger problem I could see happening is making both the sword and gun work in combos and animating them in a way that it doesn't look weird that he's switching between gun and katana so fast (Also the dialogue between him and Naoto could be about their nice hats.)

Aw well, at least we'll be getting him for sure in Soul Hackers even if he might not be likely for this game. :allears:

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Badingading posted:

I just had a friend over to play a bunch of random matches so I'd have a human opponent to figure things out on. Turns out I'm bad at fighting games and lost most of my matches to him mashing Auto-Combos and the occasional P Combo. :downs: So far I've really been enjoying playing as Elizabeth, but I need to figure out a better combo for her than the weak C-C-C-C-D I managed to get through Arcade mode with. Anyone have any tips for playing as her?

Here's what I'm doing, at the moment. It puts the enemy into fear state and paralyze for a nasty reset if you have the meter.

B, C, C c.C, QCB A (Freeze Up Slash Thing), SP QCF A, (Ex-Bigass Beam), and then reset. The BEST way to do this combo, IMO, would be to use mind charge in the middle and immediately reset with the 600k command grab hyper once they're paralyzed.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Speedball posted:

I really, really want to see Eikichi, Lisa, and Ulala. It wouldn't even be hard, just :words: that there was a rumor in Sumaru about a hole in time or something and BOOM three Persona 2 characters, without having to worry about them being 13 years older or the world ending if they remember anything.

Because really, why would you not want a rock star with a machine gun hidden in his guitar case, or someone who discovered her Persona by being blind stinking drunk?

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 9, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

I really, really want to see Eikichi, Lisa, and Ulala. It wouldn't even be hard, just :words: that there was a rumor in Sumaru about a hole in time or something and BOOM three Persona 2 characters, without having to worry about them being 13 years older or the world ending if they remember anything.

Because really, why would you not want a rock star with a machine gun hidden in his guitar case, or someone who discovered her Persona by being blind stinking drunk?

Or maybe a dude with wicked sunglasses who kills his enemies with thrown coins! (he even uses them in gunfights!)

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

MY ANIME GF posted:

Here's what I'm doing, at the moment. It puts the enemy into fear state and paralyze for a nasty reset if you have the meter.

B, C, C c.C, QCB A (Freeze Up Slash Thing), SP QCF A, (Ex-Bigass Beam), and then reset. The BEST way to do this combo, IMO, would be to use mind charge in the middle and immediately reset with the 600k command grab hyper once they're paralyzed.

you can actually combo into the grab super with ice -> all out attack -> one more cancel -> super. the first hit of an all out attack (and a couple other moves among the roster) put people in this goofy looking spinning state that lets you grab them during a combo

day 2 impression of this game is that it still rules, two things that I really noticed today are the various little ways persona attacks work (elizabeth can do her jumping C, land, and fire her laser above her head) and the awesome title system.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 9, 2012

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I took a break from training mode to try out the story mode and holy poo poo Kanji's owns.

Man, dreams are amazing.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
Seems like the Xbox360 netcode update has been put in. Let's see if it doesn't suck.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

Seems like the Xbox360 netcode update has been put in. Let's see if it doesn't suck.

If it doesn't suck I'll play some rounds with you. (Right after I finish eating)

My GT is PureRok.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Evil Canadian posted:

Well I found someone the game doesn't seem to mention anywhere, you can hold the Boot on Mitsuru's qcf qcf A/B super, and if you let go after they crumple, you get a bit more damage out of it.

Conversely, if you let the boot charge all the way, it does something like 4000 damage but nobody would be dumb enough to fall for that.
Yes you usually want to hold it down long enough and let it go just as the character gets on their knees. And she technically has a 150SP 9k damage Fatal Counter combo that actually allows you to combo into the fully charged boot using her awakening super to keep them frozen while it charges. Fake sweep is very useful for her throw mixup game.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
I only had time to play three random ranked matches but it seems wonderful. We should make a persona meta tag or something so everyone can hook up, I guess I can do it when I get back from work if someone doesn't beat me to it.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
How do you fight Elizabeth as Akihiko? I couldn't close to someone playing as them; they kept hitting me with long range poo poo.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

404GoonNotFound posted:

poo poo, I would like just having Lisa vs. Chie. It would be amazing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm hearing reports that the patch fixed the online on 360 and it has good netcode! That is fantastic.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

PureRok posted:

How do you fight Elizabeth as Akihiko? I couldn't close to someone playing as them; they kept hitting me with long range poo poo.

Aki has to play a very patient game, but if you have 25sp and can stay within 2/3 of the screen, she can't use her purple laser anymore since qcf+AB can punish it. If you're closer, you can do gimmick poo poo like qcf+C/D -> b+C to get within her B attacks range and sway. Sway will actually dodge all of her B attacks so if something goes past you can react with a corkscrew. Also remember that you can pull her closer with D but again it's gimmicky so don't get predictable with it. Safest way in I guess is superjump and airdash.

Overall Akihiko's game is going to be him guessing a lot until he gets in on his opponent, then it's their turn to guess a lot.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

So hang on does the story really end with Yu going Investigation Team is back together! and not doing anything about the mysterious voice or anything that happened? I thought he's supposed to be the main character but the story just sort of stops.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

If anyone is looking for one character to complete all the Challenges for so as to unlock the announcer for that condition, Shadow Labrys is by far the easiest choice. Even her Challenge 30 isn't so bad once you have the right plan.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

If anyone is looking for one character to complete all the Challenges for so as to unlock the announcer for that condition

Which Announcer is that? I still don't know the conditions for any of them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

randombattle posted:

So hang on does the story really end with Yu going Investigation Team is back together! and not doing anything about the mysterious voice or anything that happened? I thought he's supposed to be the main character but the story just sort of stops.

Have you finished Labrys' story yet? That's supposed to let you continue everyone elses' stories.

From what I hear, the story is supposed to end with Yu and the team deciding to head to Port Island?

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

The Chairman posted:

This is the first online fighting game I've ever played, and I'm getting absolutely wrecked in ranked matches. It's a fun pain, though.

My biggest problem is that the 360 controller's stick and D-pad are both giving me lots of trouble with pulling 236/214 motions. Does anybody have any modestly-priced, entry-level arcade stick recommendations?

The WWE Brawl Stick is still on sale on Amazon for $30, down from $80. It's pretty entry-level but it's easily moddable and at that price you can't beat it.

e: I believe it's the same layout and guts as the Madcatz SE sticks but I could be wrong.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

CaptainPoopsock posted:

The WWE Brawl Stick is still on sale on Amazon for $30, down from $80. It's pretty entry-level but it's easily moddable and at that price you can't beat it.

e: I believe it's the same layout and guts as the Madcatz SE sticks but I could be wrong.

I decided to go ahead and pick one up; I was a little wary because there were a lot of poor reviews on Amazon, but after multiple people recommended it to me, I figured it was just people expecting too much from a $30 joystick.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

PonchAxis posted:

I'm hearing reports that the patch fixed the online on 360 and it has good netcode! That is fantastic.

Yeah there was a patch this morning, it looks like the netcode issues are fixed.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
So without spoiling too much, does Arena hint that the Investigation Team members will be in Persona 5?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

404GoonNotFound posted:

Which Announcer is that? I still don't know the conditions for any of them.

I don't think this is really a spoiler but it's Mitsuru.

Edit: Also, by announcer I meant navigator.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

What are the conditions for Fuuka? If I'm going to be playing Aigis I should probably have Fuuka navigation

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh right, now I remember why training/challenge modes in fighters are horseshit. They expect you to pull off absurd 1-frame link BS that no normal-rear end player with a gamepad's going to be able to pull off with any kind of regularity.

Now I remember why I stopped bothering with SF4's stupid-rear end training mode. It doesn't actually train you how to do anything and in fact only makes you loathe trying to do stuff like that! Most of the people you fight online are gonna mash, so gently caress this noise. I don't care what you unlock for doing this. There's no way in hell I'm doing all these. At 20 on Naoto's and I already wanna strangle the developers.

Jump and hit A-Y-A-Y-B, yeah that's just shy of completely loving impossible. Been trying for over five minutes and I haven't gotten past the second hit one god drat time. Oh wait, that's because by that time you loving land!

Nope.

E: Hahahaha, these can't be done by normal loving humans. Looked at some of the later ones. But even 23 is loving nigh impossible. Go from a five-button mash to busting out a double hadoken motion. Yeah that isn't gonna be happening, game. Eat poo poo.

Oh wait, fighting game snob thread. Right. Sorry.

Maybe you should have taken up that guy's offer for a free XBox controller so you don't have to use that Nyko Airflow anymore. Just a thought.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

darealkooky posted:

the first hit of an all out attack (and a couple other moves among the roster) put people in this goofy looking spinning state that lets you grab them during a combo

Thanks for this, Yukiko throw OMC throw is technically a waste of meter because the second normal throw is both scaled and techable with the normal timing window but I'm gonna keep that mental guard break in my pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
Made another challonge for the next goonsgarden which will be next Thursday. Again I'll be recording as many matches as possible and then uploading them to a playlist on youtube.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xk8bfuk3ms

• Locked thread