Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

I got bored eventually and started trolling, the second guy there was actually some real talking, but as you said the hubris was pretty bad.

The first guy spoke like some stereotyped nerd and was completely deluded and calling people idiots left right and centre, I called him an utter cretin, think it got a few laughs from the goons in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bruce Leroy posted:

Also, what's different about the NHL that they don't seem to make much fuss about their athletes playing in the Olympics when their seasons are ongoing? Is this due to so many players being from Scandinavia, Russia, and other nations with large hockey followings and those players wanting to represent their home nations or what? Is it the relatively lower popularity and therefore lower amount of money involved or does the NHL actually take financial advantage and see an uptick in viewership and attendance at games after the Winter Olympics are over?

A bit old, but it mostly boils down to money.

The MLB schedule is incredibly dense and is much more so than a lot of other sports. Not including spring training or the post-season, over the course of 6 months (April to September) a team will play in 162 games. You get about 2 weeks worth of games and the All-Star Break off for the entire season.

MLB does not want to push it much further than that, because they start running out of good weather and start butting heads with the winter bloc of sports in the post-season.

None of the owners will want to take 2-3 weeks off in the middle of a season and lose something like 15-20 games worth of ticket sales.

The NHL schedule on the other hand has an off-day every other day or so. You can make up the lost time by cutting off-days here or there.

Windozer
Nov 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

To be fair (and I feel bad for sort-of defending conservapedia here), Zoroastrianism isn't/wasn't originally monotheistic was it? I always learned that it was focused on dualism, which does make it a fairly obvious progenitor to something like modern Christianity where everything is either "Acceptable" or "PART OF SATAN'S NEFARIOUS SCHEME", but it still recognized two distinct deities.

Don't worry, you aren't defending these pricks. There's still Atenism, and before that, I remember Budge talking about pre-dynastic Egyptians worshiping a single axe-headed god, iirc.

Stalingrad posted:

The first guy spoke like some stereotyped nerd and was completely deluded and calling people idiots left right and centre, I called him an utter cretin, think it got a few laughs from the goons in there.

Have any logs?

Windozer fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 11, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm definitely no expert on Zoroastrianism but it seemed monotheistic to me when I studied it. Ahura Mazda is the Supreme god, there are other entities like angels and there's a concept of evil, but Christianity has that too.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm definitely no expert on Zoroastrianism but it seemed monotheistic to me when I studied it. Ahura Mazda is the Supreme god, there are other entities like angels and there's a concept of evil, but Christianity has that too.

Zoroastrianism is monotheistic. There is a supreme deity above everything (Ahura Mazda) and the Daevas (beings of light) are under him, either being good or evil in nature. It's analogous to Judaic ideas of angels and demons.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Angra Mainyu is a concept of chaos and evil, but isn't a solid, given entity per see. It's similar to the Judeo-Christian concept that "Lucifer is the source of all evil" or what have you, but different in that Angra Mainyu isn't a single being. Think of it more along the lines of evil thoughts or intentions, at least that's how I was taught regarding it.

Either way, it's all moot since there are earlier monotheistic interpretations anyway (Stuff that originates from monolatrism such as Atenism comes to mind).

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Windozer posted:

Don't worry, you aren't defending these pricks. There's still Atenism, and before that, I remember Budge talking about pre-dynastic Egyptians worshiping a single axe-headed god, iirc.

Have any logs?

Unfortunately no, and I've been ip banned after I told them I was a gay muslim. (I'm not, but I thought it'd get a rise, surprisingly the muslim thing actually only annoyed 1/3 of the speakers)

The problem is the main speaker as it were is on a mic not in chat, and the rest of the chat is either people calling him an idiot (he is) or people complaining about all the atheists.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Rose Wreck posted:

Also admitted that aliens were a plausible intelligent designer and he argued for them because there was just as much indication it was them as it was a god, but did not seem to draw any conclusions from this.

Not uncommon, and less devastating than you might imagine. Usually the schtick is that intelligent design is not a religious theory, because the intelligent designer could be an alien or whatever... but who created the aliens? The rhetorical trick of intelligent design is that it proscribes no actual designer -- 'it could be any intelligent being' -- but that since the justification of intelligent design is that complex beings can't come from simpler ones it directly justifies a Prime Mover/Uncaused Cause-type move at the end. A longer or shorter chain of intelligent designers, necessarily terminating in god: that's the trick.

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012
Even so, any time you have to say "I debate for it even though I don't believe it, because it's so close to what I believe it's really the same thing" about aliens creating earth, self-awareness is struggling beneath the ice.

Another question answered, but not proofread:

Politcal correctness triumphed as the foreign-born reportedly lesbian coach of the U.S. team led them to repeat their previous gold medal performance.

This is terrible for America! As bad as if we'd lost! Which would have been the coach's fault!

Diolatian
Apr 25, 2012

Tartarus Sauce posted:

My god, he seems like a sane, reasonable person! Imagine!

Ha, and I read another admin's comment to him as, "Philip, I reject your lack of vindictiveness." (It was "lack of logic and vindictiveness," but you know....)

I may be too used to internet forums where people call each other "human being," "dumbass," and "motherfucker," but is it me, are some of the insults on Conservapedia strangely, I don't know, Oscar Wildean?

"Your filth and vituperation...."

"Your clerk-like pettiness..."

"Shame on you, sir..."

Is it wrong to say that pretty much the only people I know nowadays who write this way are on the autism spectrum?

Conservapedia policy on language seems to be: "It´s ok with character assassination and insults as long as you don´t use naughty words".

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Diolatian posted:

Conservapedia policy on language seems to be: "It´s ok with character assassination and insults as long as you don´t use naughty words".

No, it's "as long as you don't use naughty words and don't criticize Andy and his sycophants."

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Diolatian posted:

That's a pretty popular sentiment among conservatives in general, especially in regards to gays, e.g. "I don't hate gay people, I'm just a faithful Christian defending traditional marriage." To them, they aren't anti-gay because they don't use anti-gay insults like "fag" or "dyke" even though they repeatedly talk about how it's wrong and sinful to be gay, how gays shouldn't be able to get married, and how anti-discrimination legislation shouldn't protect gays and transgender people.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Bruce Leroy posted:

That's a pretty popular sentiment among conservatives in general, especially in regards to gays, e.g. "I don't hate gay people, I'm just a faithful Christian defending traditional marriage." To them, they aren't anti-gay because they don't use anti-gay insults like "fag" or "dyke" even though they repeatedly talk about how it's wrong and sinful to be gay, how gays shouldn't be able to get married, and how anti-discrimination legislation shouldn't protect gays and transgender people.

Loving this blog post on this exact topic: Why I Believe Bristol Palin

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I hope this isn't too far off topic. It's a list of crazy poo poo that appears in real schoolbooks.

http://m.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2012/07/photos-evangelical-curricula-louisiana-tax-dollars
  1. Dinosaurs and humans probably hung out
  2. Dragons were totally real
  3. God used the Trail of Tears to bring many Indians to Christ
  4. Africa needs religion
  5. Slave masters were nice guys
  6. The KKK was A-OK
  7. The Great Depression wasn't as bad as the liberals made it sound
  8. SCOTUS enslaved fetuses
  9. The Red Scare isn't over yet
  10. Mark Twain and Emily Dickinson were a couple of hacks
  11. Abstract algebra is too dang complicated
  12. Gay people "have no more claims to special rights than child molesters or rapists."
  13. Global environmentalists have said and written enough to leave no doubt that their goal is to destroy the prosperous economies of the world's richest nations.
  14. Globalization is a precursor to rapture

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

prefect posted:

I hope this isn't too far off topic. It's a list of crazy poo poo that appears in real schoolbooks.

http://m.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2012/07/photos-evangelical-curricula-louisiana-tax-dollars

1. Abstract algebra is too dang complicated

What the hell is up with all the anti-math rhetoric going around? This idea has even spread to the New York loving Times. I was an English major in college, but even I managed to get an A in pre-calculus. What is wrong with people?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Binowru posted:

What the hell is up with all the anti-math rhetoric going around? This idea has even spread to the New York loving Times. I was an English major in college, but even I managed to get an A in pre-calculus. What is wrong with people?

What do Christian fundamentalists have against set theory?

It's not a super-short article (and it's how I wound up reading the Mother Jones article), but it does a pretty good job of explaining. Basically, anything that doesn't make intuitive "common sense" is guilty of "modernity", which is the first step toward not believing in god.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Binowru posted:

Sheesh...he used so many statistics in that article. Can't he find a better way to make his point???

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

prefect posted:

1. Dinosaurs and humans probably hung out
  2. Dragons were totally real
  3. God used the Trail of Tears to bring many Indians to Christ
  4. Africa needs religion
  5. Slave masters were nice guys
  6. The KKK was A-OK
  7. The Great Depression wasn't as bad as the liberals made it sound
  8. SCOTUS enslaved fetuses
  9. The Red Scare isn't over yet
  10. Mark Twain and Emily Dickinson were a couple of hacks
  11. Abstract algebra is too dang complicated
  12. Gay people "have no more claims to special rights than child molesters or rapists."
  13. Global environmentalists have said and written enough to leave no doubt that their goal is to destroy the prosperous economies of the world's richest nations.
  14. Globalization is a precursor to rapture

So this poo poo is just fine to teach to kids, but LAWDY NO YOU BEST NOT BE TEACHING MY LITTLE ONES ABOUT NO EVO-LU-TION!!!!. Seriously why is this poo poo which is obviously and provably wrong OK to teach in the south??

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

AcidRonin posted:

So this poo poo is just fine to teach to kids, but LAWDY NO YOU BEST NOT BE TEACHING MY LITTLE ONES ABOUT NO EVO-LU-TION!!!!. Seriously why is this poo poo which is obviously and provably wrong OK to teach in the south??

Because it fits the agenda of the parents and politicians down there.

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

AcidRonin posted:

1 & 2 support YEC mythology, 3-7 are comforting rationalizations to terrible things, 8&9 allow outdated thinking to still seem relevant, 10, 11, and 13 mean that parents don't have to risk learning anything, and 12, 13, and 14 are all ways to ignore the future.

Basically it's education in the hands of people who find change and knowledge threatening.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

AcidRonin posted:

Don't forget that this is from books used in Christian private schools, that are only coming into the spotlight now because of Louisiana's voucher program where they would receive public funds. This is coming to the fore now because there are pretty obvious quality issues, which "the market" was supposed to take care of and make better than the public school system.

Synival
Aug 14, 2012

Relax. It's still time for Klax.
Disappointed to find out that some of the crazier things I've heard aren't on Conservapedia. For a while, I played piano for services in this crazy hardcore "non-denominational" bible study church. Felt kind of like an undercover agent. The pastor liked to talk about how black holes were used in the creation of the universe, how they found Noah's ark in the Ukraine, and so on.

I'll try to remember some of the best stuff:
* According to the order of creation in Genesis, plant life existed before rainfall and the sun.
* Jesus was born without original sin. Because God is the father, it therefore must be carried in the Y-Chromosome.
* There were no carnivores in the Garden of Eden because there was no death, but God created certain animals with carnivore features just in case.
* Evolution is false because cars don't run better over time.

Lots of other crazy stuff - the two month creationism study was particularly scary. And the drunk congregation member informing me that I was going to hell was funny.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
http://www.conservapedia.com/Essay:_Ponies_vs._atheism_-_Ponies_win

This page... this page. I can barely read through it, so I won't post quotes. Is this serious? My brain is melting! What's going on?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Raneman posted:

This page... this page. I can barely read through it, so I won't post quotes. Is this serious? My brain is melting! What's going on?

I don't even know. There's also the Atheists say the darndest things! essay, which contains no quotes from atheists. Like, not even obviously fake quotes that he puts in atheists' mouths. No quotes from atheists at all. It's mostly more quotes from Shockofgod

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

Binowru posted:

I don't even know. There's also the Atheists say the darndest things! essay, which contains no quotes from atheists. Like, not even obviously fake quotes that he puts in atheists' mouths. No quotes from atheists at all. It's mostly more quotes from Shockofgod

He's so goddamned proud of that loving clown metaphor.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

myron cope posted:

Sheesh...he used so many statistics in that article. Can't he find a better way to make his point???

I'd be totally in favour of spending less time on algebra and calculus and more time on probability and statistics, but unfortunately that is not the argument being run. Nor can you eliminate either algebra and calculus in favor of the other two obviously, because you need algebra to understand statistics. It's foundational. Eh, what a stupid article.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 15, 2012

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I like the way the article on the ACLU claims they are "against god", yet also has the following section:

quote:

Prisoner and student rights

In the 2007 case Spratt v. Rhode Island Department of Corrections, the ACLU brought suit against the Rhode Island Adult Correctional Institute following the prison's decision to bar Christian prisoner and lay minister Wesley Spratt from preaching to other inmates during weekly services. The ACLU won the case on appeal, securing the right for Spratt to hold religious services for other inmates so long as these do not conflict with prison security.[46]In 2004, student Abbey Moler selected a bible verse to accompany her picture in a school yearbook. The school subsequently removed this text before publication. The ACLU filed suit against the Utica Community School District, on the grounds that this censorship violated Moler's first-amendment rights to free expression and freedom of religion. The case was settled out of court, with the school district agreeing to replace the verse in following prints of the yearbook and correct it by means of a sticker in copies still in its possession.[47][48]

Also their article on the 2012 Olympics is hilarious. Making every effort to shoehorn links to homosexuality and atheism in there. He really is utterly obsessed :psyduck:

Roblo fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 15, 2012

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

prefect posted:

What do Christian fundamentalists have against set theory?

It's not a super-short article (and it's how I wound up reading the Mother Jones article), but it does a pretty good job of explaining. Basically, anything that doesn't make intuitive "common sense" is guilty of "modernity", which is the first step toward not believing in god.
Stab in the dark, but what if they oppose set theory because cantor's dust would predicate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?. I wonder what they think about algebraic topology.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Shima Honnou posted:

Because it fits the agenda of the parents and politicians down there.

But my confusion comes from this, I'm originally from Main and then I moved to Virginia, I was NEVER fed this bullshit as though it was history/science. I learned the actual facts of the nation's history and Evolution along with other scientific facts and not one teacher ever even hinted that there was another option. They didn’t say that there was no god and how dare you idiots believe in him, but they didn’t bring religion into the classroom at all. I also never heard about this happening from anyone else that went to the 4 other high schools near me. Why does it seem that only Conservative politicians/community leaders feel the need to shove an agenda down children’s throats?

EDIT:

SO, just thought I would click on this, and found this gem underneath the first photograph

quote:

Women and girls throughout the world love ponies, but most women and girls dislike atheism.[1][2] Ponies are often nicer than American atheists who typically give less to charity than American theists.[3]

Let’s play the "what the gently caress are they citing here??" game. Below is a list of their academic sources for their claims:
*Ahem*
[1] http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_appears_to_be_significantly_less_appealing_to_women

Also known as an essay written by the same mutherfucking dude.

[2]
http://www.conservapedia.com/Views_on_Atheists
Citing itself again....? hmm i don’t think this is how academic literature works....

[3]
http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_and_uncharitableness

Ok so what i have learned is that i can make ANY claim at all, and then cite myself making that claim as a source and it is FINE??

EX:
Goons are all nice people and you would be silly to not leave your personal belongings with them [1]

[1] AcidRonin Post XXXX Somethingawful.com

FOR SURLEY NOW BEGINS MY ROBUST CAREER IN ACADAMEIA!!

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 15, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AcidRonin posted:

But my confusion comes from this, I'm originally from Main and then I moved to Virginia, I was NEVER fed this bullshit as though it was history/science. I learned the actual facts of the nation's history and Evolution along with other scientific facts and not one teacher ever even hinted that there was another option. They didn’t say that there was no god and how dare you idiots believe in him, but they didn’t bring religion into the classroom at all. I also never heard about this happening from anyone else that went to the 4 other high schools near me. Why does it seem that only Conservative politicians/community leaders feel the need to shove an agenda down children’s throats?

It is said that reality has a liberal bias.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

prefect posted:

It is said that reality has a liberal bias.

I think Bill Maher said it best, "Democrats, sure were lame and we dont really get anything done, but look at the other guys!! There nuts!!"

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Binowru posted:

Feast your eyes upon:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Category:Atheism
http://www.conservapedia.com/index.php?title=Category:Atheism&from=Essay%3A+The+overwhelming+proof+and+evidence+for+evolution

For fucks sake, this is just part of the E's:

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Cant help but notice wich one is purple....

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Holy poo poo new best page ever found:

http://conservapedia.com/Essay:_More_kimchi_please

It's... it's loving beautiful. 'This man did not live forever because he was an atheist'.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

AcidRonin posted:

Cant help but notice wich one is purple....

:)

Raneman posted:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Stoat posted:

Holy poo poo new best page ever found:

http://conservapedia.com/Essay:_More_kimchi_please

It's... it's loving beautiful. 'This man did not live forever because he was an atheist'.
And I can think of worse ways to go out than by eating too much kimchi.

Luckily for me there is no such thing as too much kimchi.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I also notice the Conservapedia definition of "Essay" apparently means "one picture with a caption."

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

I think i have found the problem here. Just a total lack of ability to distinquish humor or reality. The following vidio was subitedted as proof that TheAmazeingAthiest was a coward becuase he had the following reaction while watching an episode of My Little Pony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rySNc_YYAOw

I don't like the amazing atheist cause i think he is a little annoying but how can you not tell that this is a joke....

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Wow. The enemy of my enemy is my friend I guess. That article talks about Rebecca Watson's Elevator Incident and is pretty sympathetic to her, and rightfully attacks Dawkins for being a tool.

I agree with Conservapedia on something. cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Conservapedia: A Friend To Women

Also, I am puzzled the term "the atheist community". What are they even referring to? Rebecca Watson and Conservapedia both make mention of this supposed community. Is it a forum somewhere? Are they an American atheist club that nobody has thought of a name for? What community is it that Conservapedia sees so many fat people in, and which apparently sent Rebecca Watson a bunch of rape/death threats?

• Locked thread