Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LibbyM posted:

If people do that a lot they get marked a a frequent ragequitter, and there name is turned red. When the matchmaking matches you up against someone with a red name, don't accept the match*. If they didn't have a red name because they're new and haven't earned it yet, take solace knowing they will have a red name soon with that behavior.

*Alternatively, accept the match and play the most lame annoying way possible trying to bait them into rage quitting yet again.

I played against someone who was a few grade levels higher than me. They absolutely walloped me in the first round and then they left the match. I wonder if they just felt bad for me or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Haha, one of Rise's round start quotes is "Duel One! Let's rock!"

I wonder if she has The Wheel of Fate is Turning somewhere in there, too.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Endorph posted:

Haha, one of Rise's round start quotes is "Duel One! Let's rock!"

I wonder if she has The Wheel of Fate is Turning somewhere in there, too.

Apparently yes, one of the possible quotes is "Rebel One! Action!"

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Apparently yes, one of the possible quotes is "Rebel One! Action!"

I have heard Rise say both of those lines, and its pretty great.

Arturo Robusto
May 10, 2003

i do appreciate it but i have no use for weapons my fists pack one million volts
How do you charge coup droit during a combo for Mitsuru's challenges?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

LibbyM posted:

*Alternatively, accept the match and play the most lame annoying way possible trying to bait them into rage quitting yet again.

If it's anything like how they track DCs in BlazBlue, won't that also mark YOU with a disconnect as well? I'd rather just reject the match in the first place to keep my own record clean.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Arturo Robusto posted:

How do you charge coup droit during a combo for Mitsuru's challenges?

Hold back while she's doing her autocombo.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Spiffo posted:

If it's anything like how they track DCs in BlazBlue, won't that also mark YOU with a disconnect as well? I'd rather just reject the match in the first place to keep my own record clean.

Does it really work that way? That's awful. Someone could potentially get a red name if they were just pretty good early and happened to get matched up against a bunch of rage quitters. That person would then have a hard time finding matches for ages until they could improve their record.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

LibbyM posted:

Does it really work that way? That's awful. Someone could potentially get a red name if they were just pretty good early and happened to get matched up against a bunch of rage quitters. That person would then have a hard time finding matches for ages until they could improve their record.

I could be mistaken and thinking of a different fighting game.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

LibbyM posted:

I have a red name and I've completed around 70 games in ranked, and have zero incomplete ones.

It's bugged out lol.

It doesn't really stop me from playing too many people though surprisingly.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
For those of you playing Shadow Labrys, you can do your throw command and have Asterios connect with his Knuckle Train by entering the throw as cD, like a Soul Calibur input. Just drum your fingers instead of pressing both simultaneously

It'll double the damage of the throw and allow for followups if you OMC. Probably crouch B into her staple air combo is the best you're going to do though.

Changed B to C in the edit. I'm even getting my inputs confused in my posts!!!!

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 12, 2012

Arturo Robusto
May 10, 2003

i do appreciate it but i have no use for weapons my fists pack one million volts

Groghammer posted:

Hold back while she's doing her autocombo.

I don't mean the very last one, there are a bunch of earlier challenges where you have to use it after one or two quick moves, like sweep directly into coup droit. I don't know if I just haven't got the timing right yet or if there's some other trick to it.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The trick is instead of doing sweep as down+AB do it as downback+AB. This allows you to start charging during the sweep, which wouldn't be possible if you did it as just down+AB.

Welcome to the charge move family.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Arturo Robusto posted:

I don't mean the very last one, there are a bunch of earlier challenges where you have to use it after one or two quick moves, like sweep directly into coup droit. I don't know if I just haven't got the timing right yet or if there's some other trick to it.

You just have to down back as soon as possible. I know the one where you have to do stand b into sweep and then coup droit, you have to press b and then go down back at pretty much the same time.

Arturo Robusto
May 10, 2003

Cool, didn't know you could mix the down and back like that. I was trying to do hard down for the sweep and then switch to back for the charge.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
How am I supposed to fight kanji/mitsuru as narukami? Mitsuru can just push A and outspeed/range everything I have besides fullscreen dive attack/sword which only works on bad people. Kanji can just superjump away and swing his chair, I can't AA him with crouching B because he's so high up (I actually get hit instead) and if I try and jump after him I just get hit by that stupid flying tackle move.

I could complain about how kanji's dp is really silly and basically forces me to sit there and get grabbed, but that's probably more just grapples being my kryptonyte

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

darealkooky posted:

How am I supposed to fight kanji/mitsuru as narukami? Mitsuru can just push A and outspeed/range everything I have besides fullscreen dive attack/sword which only works on bad people. Kanji can just superjump away and swing his chair, I can't AA him with crouching B because he's so high up (I actually get hit instead) and if I try and jump after him I just get hit by that stupid flying tackle move.

I could complain about how kanji's dp is really silly and basically forces me to sit there and get grabbed, but that's probably more just grapples being my kryptonyte

Hey you! I want a rematch! :mad:

also gently caress kanji, even the worst kanjis can laugh at my attempts to do anything :negative:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

darealkooky posted:

Short hop the grab, or just poke at him if he gets close enough. Yu's normals are a lot faster than Kanji's longer range C attacks, and outrange his A and B attacks pretty well. You can also do Raging Lion or Swift Strike, or even just B+D him. It's actually pretty hard to grab someone off paralyze, since that's exactly what they're expecting you to do and will make every effort to avoid the situation (which is why you'll see a lot of better Kanjis walk up and bait B+Ds and stuff because people get really nervous in that situation).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Emalde posted:

Hey you! I want a rematch! :mad:

also gently caress kanji, even the worst kanjis can laugh at my attempts to do anything :negative:

No matter how fast you run, so matter where you hide, Kanji will find you and give you a hug.

A hug so manly it will char the flesh from your bones

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Countblanc posted:

Short hop the grab, or just poke at him if he gets close enough. Yu's normals are a lot faster than Kanji's longer range C attacks, and outrange his A and B attacks pretty well. You can also do Raging Lion or Swift Strike, or even just B+D him. It's actually pretty hard to grab someone off paralyze, since that's exactly what they're expecting you to do and will make every effort to avoid the situation (which is why you'll see a lot of better Kanjis walk up and bait B+Ds and stuff because people get really nervous in that situation).

Raging Lion and whatever the electric slide is called are some of the most amazing get in close skills. I find a lot of people underestimate Yu's ability to close the distance and put up a fight at all ranges. All of his specials come out so drat fast you can almost instantly attack any area with one of his specials. A lot of people I see with Kanji try to spam grabs over and over and it is just so easy to strike from out of range with Yu. The bounce on the raging lion is amazing for that since you can rush in while they are bouncing and set up for some combos. Combine that with tossing Izanagi out somewhere in the field for a delayed attack makes it just brutal to try to spam grabs against Yu.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I've slowly been turning into a loving wreck since launch. I was doing really well at first with Akihiko, but now I just see an endless stream of Yukikos, Elizabeths and maybe the occasional Yu. Specifically I feel neutered against any sort of ranged poo poo; one blocked Kill Rush and I'm getting my poo poo pushed in by seemingly endless combos. It feels like everyone's attacks have higher priority than me, and the poo poo that Elizabeth and Yukiko can pull is going to give me a stroke pretty soon. I feel like the only thing I can do is go on the defensive and just spam Ceasar's strong attack to shuffle them around and sneak in a few attacks while they're disoriented, but that usually just results in a Burst followed by them scampering away again. How the gently caress do I deal with this as Akihiko and get better oh god help me.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Countblanc posted:

Every time you paralyze someone online as Kanji walk up and 2C them. Without fail they will do anything they can to not get grabbed after the pullin, it's uncanny.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Aki has a billion options after a blocked kill rush and it's all about making reads and using those options to beat whatever the opponent is doing so you can keep them in the corner and do damage.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Won online with a random Galactic Punt. Got the achievement "Meat Dimension." Love this game. :allears:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

randombattle posted:

Raging Lion and whatever the electric slide is called are some of the most amazing get in close skills.

They are also unsafe, and neither of them hit someone superjumping away

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 12, 2012

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Ok, I'm seriously going to have to figure out which attacks trump others. I've had more than a couple instances where someone went through an ice mirror and another where I hit someone but their attack animation continued anyway and killed me. Ugh, when am I going to stop letting fighting games kick me around like this?!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Are there any tips for playing as Naoto? She seems decent enough to control- I like her speed, and her ranged attacks are nice, but I'm terrible at landing Hamaon and Mudoon, so those are pretty much a waste of SP for me.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Ok, I'm seriously going to have to figure out which attacks trump others. I've had more than a couple instances where someone went through an ice mirror and another where I hit someone but their attack animation continued anyway and killed me. Ugh, when am I going to stop letting fighting games kick me around like this?!

Certain moves, like B+D and the All-Out Attack have armor/invincibility. They can basically absorb a hit(maybe multiple?) and still whack you. Kanji has a lot of this too.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

The Grimace posted:

Are there any tips for playing as Naoto? She seems decent enough to control- I like her speed, and her ranged attacks are nice, but I'm terrible at landing Hamaon and Mudoon, so those are pretty much a waste of SP for me.

I'm having so much trouble trying to learn her, but if you can land a throw, use the C follow up and quickly use Mudoon if you want the instant kill.

I'm slaving my way through her challenges right now and it's a nightmare. I never really learned how to IAD before now and it's biting me pretty bad.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Holy poo poo, FinestKO
is wrapping up a tournament where this amazing Kanji player Pain is just running all over Aigis of all characters. :stare: Definitely worth checking the archive when it is available.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Finally unlocked Elizabeth's story mode tonight. Labrys is loving long for the amount of actual fights it has, but was interesting enough to hold my attention. I am also super loving excited for Persona 5 now if it picks up right where this game leaves off...

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I'm having so much trouble trying to learn her, but if you can land a throw, use the C follow up and quickly use Mudoon if you want the instant kill.

I'm slaving my way through her challenges right now and it's a nightmare. I never really learned how to IAD before now and it's biting me pretty bad.

If you press diagonal up twice it will do an instant airdash for you. It's really helpful for the combos you need to jump cancel and dash at the same time.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Veev posted:

If you press diagonal up twice it will do an instant airdash for you. It's really helpful for the combos you need to jump cancel and dash at the same time.

poo poo, that's a lot easier than pressing diagonal then dashing forward. Maybe now I could actually use that combo outside of challenge mode, thanks!

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

The Grimace posted:

Yeah learn SMP combos, lol. If you're not doing that or trying to take down the fate counter and get insta-kill then I don't think there's any reason to play her.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Finally unlocked Elizabeth's story mode tonight. Labrys is loving long for the amount of actual fights it has, but was interesting enough to hold my attention. I am also super loving excited for Persona 5 now if it picks up right where this game leaves off...

Well, in the past Hashino (I think it was him at least. Could have been Meguro.) has said that if they made a Persona 5 it would be very different from the current games. I'm assuming the next one will be "re-invented" kind of like the transition from P2 to P3, but with social links and such being kept and expanded on.

The hook at the end of most of the characters' stories seemed to me to be leading to another Arena game. The Guilty Gear XX to this one's X, or something like that. With the research the investigation team is doing into Kirijo group and the Moonlight Bridge at the end of the game and Labrys joining the Shadow Ops as they presumably return to Tatsumi Port Island I'm betting the next game is gonna be more P3-themed. Persona 3 Arena? That would be a confusing title for a sequel though.

Also I'm guessing the entity that shows Labrys Yasogami High and pretends to be a shadow at the end is Nyarlathotep. He mentions that he won't be defeated "again," for one thing. Not sure who the human who's working with him is though. It was hinted at that they lived in Inaba though.

As for Elizabeth's ending, I assume it's going to be something that's either continued in the next fighting game or happens off screen.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Well, in the past Hashino (I think it was him at least. Could have been Meguro.) has said that if they made a Persona 5 it would be very different from the current games. I'm assuming the next one will be "re-invented" kind of like the transition from P2 to P3, but with social links and such being kept and expanded on.

The hook at the end of most of the characters' stories seemed to me to be leading to another Arena game. The Guilty Gear XX to this one's X, or something like that. With the research the investigation team is doing into Kirijo group and the Moonlight Bridge at the end of the game and Labrys joining the Shadow Ops as they presumably return to Tatsumi Port Island I'm betting the next game is gonna be more P3-themed. Persona 3 Arena? That would be a confusing title for a sequel though.

Also I'm guessing the entity that shows Labrys Yasogami High and pretends to be a shadow at the end is Nyarlathotep. He mentions that he won't be defeated "again," for one thing. Not sure who the human who's working with him is though. It was hinted at that they lived in Inaba though.

As for Elizabeth's ending, I assume it's going to be something that's either continued in the next fighting game or happens off screen.

To make Persona 5 different from the previous games you have it be the Investigation Team and Shadow Operatives teaming up and globe trotting to stop whoever the mastermind behind this game was and the human culprit he was teamed up with, and find out who Labrys' mysterious voice was. If all the set up was just for another fighting game, and not Persona 5, then this is me making fart noises and going right back to not giving a gently caress about Persona 5.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I think this is by far the sanest reading of what happens with regards to the investigation team in P4A. This game is a runaway hit in Japan and it will be milked for all it's worth. Bringing in more P3 fighters is an exceedingly obvious next move.

As for Elizabeth, while I personally would absolutely love to see a P5 about her dimension spanning acid-trip adventure to literally abolish the collective misery of the human race I don't think we will be so lucky :(.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I can't be the only one who loves the fact that Mitsuru and Akihiko get grief constantly in game for their outfits. They actually look like characters out of a fighting game, but everyone else just looks at them and wonders "What the Hell?"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The GIG posted:

I can't be the only one who loves the fact that Mitsuru and Akihiko get grief constantly in game for their outfits. They actually look like characters out of a fighting game, but everyone else just looks at them and wonders "What the Hell?"

I love that even Aigis, who has giant robot arms, was giving Mitsuru poo poo for her complete lack of stealth skills.

:j: Let's just show up to this quiet, small town in a giant limo, and I'll wear my fur coat and skin tight cat suit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

To make Persona 5 different from the previous games you have it be the Investigation Team and Shadow Operatives teaming up and globe trotting to stop whoever the mastermind behind this game was and the human culprit he was teamed up with, and find out who Labrys' mysterious voice was. If all the set up was just for another fighting game, and not Persona 5, then this is me making fart noises and going right back to not giving a gently caress about Persona 5.

A mainline persona game with a plot directly relying on that of a previous game/spin off game wouldn't make that much sense. The numbered entries of all the SMT games (barring DDS) all work as stand alone titles. Persona 5: Persona 4 Arena 2 would alienate a lot of people no matter how awesome it would be.

Commence with the fart noises.

• Locked thread