Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

A mainline persona game with a plot directly relying on that of a previous game/spin off game wouldn't make that much sense.

As much sense as making the final boss a character who had a one-line mention in a Drama CD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

If they were going to make a sequel to this as a mainline persona game, I think the easy solution would be to have this game's plot be the first dungeon in the new one, so new people would still be caught up.

This game is really great. Every character I put any serious amount of time into, I end up loving. Normally in fighting games I'm good about picking a character (or team), and focusing down on really learning them. Here It's just "Oh let's try Elizabeth. She's awesome! Let's try Teddie, He's awesome!"

It'll be hard to pick a main.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
I know it's just a little touch, but I absolutely love how Yosuke, Chie, and Yukiko have "III" on their uniforms to denote what year they're in but Yu still has a "II". Of course he doesn't have a third-year's emblem, he's not going to Yasogami anymore!

Does the Fear condition increase the time someone is stunned? For some reason I can't do the "dash forward + 5B" part of Naoto's Challenge #27 on my first try, but if I try again without hitting reset (so the dummy starts with the Fear condition) it's really easy. I'm having trouble doing any of the challenges that require a very short dash between attacks to keep the combo going (specifically Elizabeth #26 and Chie #24, though I imagine most characters have one or two). It seems like whenever I try to do it I either don't move at all or I keep dashing even though I'm hitting the attack button. Is there some kind of trick to doing this, or do I just have bad timing?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The timing is tight on Elizabeth # 26 so don't feel too bad.

I can't really give you any advice besides buffer your dash near the end of the animation. There doesn't seem to be any trick to it other than that.

Oh, and hold up as soon as you do qcb+a with Thanatos. Don't bother trying to time the jump animation, focus on hitting a with the right timing.

For Chie # 24 try hitting the first stand C just as he's about to touch the ground. This one is much easier to time than Liz # 26.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 12, 2012

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

TheArchimage posted:

I know it's just a little touch, but I absolutely love how Yosuke, Chie, and Yukiko have "III" on their uniforms to denote what year they're in but Yu still has a "II". Of course he doesn't have a third-year's emblem, he's not going to Yasogami anymore!

Does the Fear condition increase the time someone is stunned? For some reason I can't do the "dash forward + 5B" part of Naoto's Challenge #27 on my first try, but if I try again without hitting reset (so the dummy starts with the Fear condition) it's really easy. I'm having trouble doing any of the challenges that require a very short dash between attacks to keep the combo going (specifically Elizabeth #26 and Chie #24, though I imagine most characters have one or two). It seems like whenever I try to do it I either don't move at all or I keep dashing even though I'm hitting the attack button. Is there some kind of trick to doing this, or do I just have bad timing?

There's no trick to it just check your timing and spacing.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

TheArchimage posted:

Fear causes Counter Hits to turn into Fatal Counters, which increase hitstun. So yeah you can use Fear to make some Challenges a lot easier.

Unfortunately there isn't any sort of buffer trick for dashing, as far as I know. Except in the case of OMC where you can just hold forward to get an instant dash afterwards.

And this is probably a no brainer for Naoto players but you can just hold D to get the shot stance cancel as early as possible, you don't have to try and time it or anything.

Netcode seems to be working real well for me despite my lovely internet so for anyone on the east coast on who wants someone else to play against on the 360, GT: Gwyrgyn.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Persona 4: Arena - Such Parlor Tricks Can Get Stuffed

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Still working my way through Arcade mode with all the characters to get a feel for them.

Please, please tell me that Naoto doesn't have a lot of fights in her Story mode, because good God I suck at remembering to cancel the drat Aim stance. :negative:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
she has just as much as everyone else.

I mean you can cheese story mode by bursting and then using the IK (I successfully beat most of Aigis's story opponents doing this, since I am similarly terrible at her)

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009
The difficulty in story mode is significantly easier than arcade mode I find. For most fights I just mashed A and won without the opponent touching me, didn't even have to move.

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Being able to complete the story mode by spamming the most basic attack command means they've truly bridged the gap between the fighting game and jrpg genres.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

FSLink posted:

The difficulty in story mode is significantly easier than arcade mode I find. For most fights I just mashed A and won without the opponent touching me, didn't even have to move.

This explains 90% of everybody I've fought in ranked.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Bebopaloobop posted:

This explains 90% of everybody I've fought in ranked.

I had a match earlier today where I was playing Aigis and my opponent was playing Kanji. I could tell they weren't very good so I figured I'd go nice on them by not trying to keep him out at all, just outplay him at close range. Afterwords he sent a profanity ridden voice message about "Why didn't I give him room to breath" and stuff.
I get yelled at by bad players in other games when I play keepaway, sometimes you'll get yelled at by bad players because they don't like the character you use. This is the first game I have ever been yelled at straight up for the very act of playing rushdown.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Its cool that the Kanji player wouldn't want you close to him

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've only played one match online, which I won, but it was against someone who was as bad as me. I'm thinking about going back in, as I hope that there's a bunch of people who, like me, have never played an Arc fighter before, and are just in it for the Persona stuff. I seriously have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing in this game, even though I've beaten a bunch of story and arcade modes. It's even worse than Marvel vs Capcom 3 in that regard, as at least in that game I understood why when I was pressing these buttons crazy poo poo was happening on the screen. In this I just flail around like a retard, and sometimes I die, and sometimes I get a 50 hit combo and then barely even take any damage.

Anyway, I just did Elizabeth's story and holy poo poo, Elizabeth is still the best Persona character ever. gently caress Persona 5, now I just want Persona Adventures: Elizabeth's Quest.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

I've only played one match online, which I won, but it was against someone who was as bad as me. I'm thinking about going back in, as I hope that there's a bunch of people who, like me, have never played an Arc fighter before, and are just in it for the Persona stuff. I seriously have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing in this game, even though I've beaten a bunch of story and arcade modes. It's even worse than Marvel vs Capcom 3 in that regard, as at least in that game I understood why when I was pressing these buttons crazy poo poo was happening on the screen. In this I just flail around like a retard, and sometimes I die, and sometimes I get a 50 hit combo and then barely even take any damage.

The online matching is pretty good if you set it to search for someone around as strong as you. I'm terrible at fighters and I've still pulled out a couple wins. Even if I kind of suck, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I don't even care how bad I am at online, I just want more titles. Win or lose, I still get a title! :allears:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

TheJoker138 posted:

Anyway, I just did Elizabeth's story and holy poo poo, Elizabeth is still the best Persona character ever. gently caress Persona 5, now I just want Persona Adventures: Elizabeth's Quest.

Have you done her Instant Kill yet? It's pretty much the coolest thing ever. :allears:

I think my biggest problem is that the Command List is confusing me to hell. I changed my Strong/Weak attack buttons around, but I think the Com. List is still listing their original button combinations and colors. I associate those colors with the buttons on the controller (green is triangle, blue is cross, etc.) and so I'm just getting really confused with how to pull off the more intricate moves. I'm basically casting Tentafaroo on myself by playing this way, but I just don't like the original button combinations.

Is there anywhere online offering the sprites for each character? I'd like to do some fan stuff, but I'd really like to copy the color schemes to the mark.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Grimace posted:

Have you done her Instant Kill yet? It's pretty much the coolest thing ever. :allears:

No I can't figure out how :(

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

The Grimace posted:

Is there anywhere online offering the sprites for each character? I'd like to do some fan stuff, but I'd really like to copy the color schemes to the mark.

http://mayonakamidnight.com/showthread.php?1687-Persona-4-Arena-Sprite-Rips

I think I'm giving up on Naoto for the moment, after going 0/15, it's really not worth it for my sanity. So many close fights, god drat my inability to see autocombos coming :arghfist::(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

No I can't figure out how :(

It's a counter, and I think the person needs to hit you three times for it to activate.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

axleblaze posted:

It's a counter, and I think the person needs to hit you three times for it to activate.

Every time I pop it, even against the AI, they immediately stop hitting me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

axleblaze posted:

This is correct, but there's two pieces of weirdness to it.

1) The hits it absorbs last the entire round. So say you counter two hits, like from Kanji's qcf+B for example, but he's smart enough to hit swing again so the super fades. If you get 100 meter again (hardly a difficult feat for Liz), you can do the super again and only need to absorb a single hit to have it activate.

2) It isn't an unblockable effect. If your opponent is in a neutral state when the counter goes off, it doesn't actually hit them. So say you absorb three meteors from Chie's super, but she didn't actually run after you or attack you and instead just stood back, your IK would activate but not actually do anything.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

TheJoker138 posted:

Elizabeth really is the best. I mean look:

This is what she looks like after getting her rear end kicked.
"Ho hum I guess I'll let you have a win."

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Thank you!!

TheJoker138 posted:

Every time I pop it, even against the AI, they immediately stop hitting me.

I think it does involve a little bit of foresight, trying to predict when your enemy will attack or at the very moment when they begin their combo.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 13, 2012

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've been screwing around with Labrys and I'm not seeing the appropriate use for her awakening super where she charges her axe up for a huge hit. It seems way too slow to punish even the most unsafe poo poo. Is there something I'm not seeing about it? Even if the Brooklyn robot isn't very good, she's fun enough that I want to learn her.

Edit: Also I guess Yu/Mitsuru are the best choices for easy to play, strong characters to have in your back pocket?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 13, 2012

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The GIG posted:

I like it too. I reminds me of Slayer who also had a bored "I lost this match fair and square but it didn't actually hurt me" knock down pose.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The GIG posted:

ArkSys does that with some of their characters too. I believe that Slayer's losing pose was reclining on the ground too.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

axleblaze posted:

I like it too. I reminds me of Slayer who also had a bored "I lost this match fair and square but it didn't actually hurt me" knock down pose.

Rachel from Blazblue does the same, an intrigued god-like character is a trademark of Aksys ARC SYSTEM WORKS it seems.

Dj Meow Mix fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 13, 2012

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
ARCSYS

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Hi, these companies are involved in P4U:

Atlus: They own the Persona/SMT IP
Arc System Works: They make fightans like GG, BB, P4U

This company is not involved:

Aksys Games: They localized the GG series, which is why everyone gets confused

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Thank you.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Just finished up Arcade mode with Elizabeth and good lord Yu was a freaking monster in the sixth round. I just could not deal with his goddamn sliding around. And then even when I managed to push him low enough to Awaken he suddenly started spamming Ziodynes like they were going out of style. I don't know how many time I had to retry that goddamn fight, I just know I never want to go against Yuu as Elizabeth online... :negative:

Mitsuru in Round 7 and Shadow Labrys is Round 8 were a freaking walk in the park by comparison (to the point where I actually managed to score a Perfect Instant Kill round 2 against S. Labrys).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I am struggling to find a reason to not get this game, because it's looking more and more appealing as time goes on. So, just in the interest of curiosity:

What would you guys say is the worst quality of Persona 4: Arena?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Speedball posted:

I am struggling to find a reason to not get this game, because it's looking more and more appealing as time goes on. So, just in the interest of curiosity:

Lack of voice acting in the majority of the story modes. I wish they'd have had it narrated, instead of making you read most of it. But other than that, I have literally no complaints about it.

Hyun.
May 8, 2008

Speedball posted:

There is no 'rematch' option. You have to go back to character select every single time. This means three load screens between matches. This is dumb as hell.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

TheJoker138 posted:

Lack of voice acting in the majority of the story modes. I wish they'd have had it narrated, instead of making you read most of it. But other than that, I have literally no complaints about it.

This is only when the characters are thinking though, I'm pretty sure this game has just as much voice acting as Persona 4, despite being like half as long.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
If there's one thing that's really stuck out as odd to me it's the random un-translated things. Default round announcer calling Teddie as Kuma, the P-1 Grand Prix intro still having Japanese text but with English just lazily placed over it, etc.

This isn't a complaint though, just thought it was a bit weird.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

cronox2 posted:

If there's one thing that's really stuck out as odd to me it's the random un-translated things. Default round announcer calling Teddie as Kuma, the P-1 Grand Prix intro still having Japanese text but with English just lazily placed over it, etc.

This isn't a complaint though, just thought it was a bit weird.

Honestly randomly untranslated japanese is both Atlus and Arc Sys staples at this point. They're just so Japanese it hurts. (not saying this isn't a problem though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hyun. posted:

There is no 'rematch' option. You have to go back to character select every single time. This means three load screens between matches. This is dumb as hell.

Yeah this, I have no idea how this happened.

• Locked thread