Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I find you can replace veal with turkey in meatball recipes and get a decent result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I feel like baking a cake, but am utterly uninspired - even after looking through my books.

I've got eggs, butter, sugar, flour, chocolate, a couple of lemons, can probably scrounge up a pear or two. No cream or milk in the house. Any suggestions?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dane posted:

I feel like baking a cake, but am utterly uninspired - even after looking through my books.

I've got eggs, butter, sugar, flour, chocolate, a couple of lemons, can probably scrounge up a pear or two. No cream or milk in the house. Any suggestions?

If you have a bottle of cheap red wine, make this

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I picked up some boneless beef ribs because they were on sale at Whole Foods and looked pretty tasty.

What sort of things do people do with boneless ribs? I've only ever cooked bone-in ones and I just do a dry rub and baste, tasty but nothing fancy.

Sounds like braising will be a good way to go. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Stout-Braised-Short-Ribs-231653 sounds good, anyone have any ringer recipes they love?

edit: man that chickencheese thread makes me wanna braise these fuckers in like, bulgogi sauce or some poo poo, and then make the best cheesesteak ever on a homemade baguette

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 11, 2012

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know a good kind of cherry to make syrup out of? I tried it with "Dutch Cherries" (I bought them in the Netherlands, so this means very little) and the syrup was really tasteless and I had to chuck it away. I think I could probably get fresh German black cherries, maybe they'd work better?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Casu Marzu posted:

If you have a bottle of cheap red wine, make this

Good call, that's an excuse to drink the rest of the bottle.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ashgromnies posted:

I picked up some boneless beef ribs because they were on sale at Whole Foods and looked pretty tasty.

What sort of things do people do with boneless ribs? I've only ever cooked bone-in ones and I just do a dry rub and baste, tasty but nothing fancy.

Sounds like braising will be a good way to go. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Stout-Braised-Short-Ribs-231653 sounds good, anyone have any ringer recipes they love?

edit: man that chickencheese thread makes me wanna braise these fuckers in like, bulgogi sauce or some poo poo, and then make the best cheesesteak ever on a homemade baguette

Braise in soy, ginger, garlic, onion, pear mix with a good pinch of chili flake or chili paste for like 6 hours, until it is tender. Pull out, sear and serve as tacos with some reduced sauce, sliced radish and a squirt of lime

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Cowcatcher posted:

If you didn't pick your okra recipe yet, there's a really good Turksih bamiye stew

I've cooked okras in olive oil many times, but yesterday I wound up with Persian khoresht with eggplant and okra. It was awesome :-)

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
I got a ton of red thai chilies at the farmers market today. What can I do with them besides making hot sauce and curry?

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
You should make Pad Ka-prao! Obviously, you would need to pick up a few more ingredients, but this dish is an awesome way to highlight birds eye chiles (which I assume is what you have). I don't follow this recipe exactly, but it is a great base to mess around with. I recommend ground pork, extra chiles and garlic, and skipping the oyster sauce in favor of more fish sauce. The basil is important but you can get away with thai basil or even sweet basil if you're in a pinch.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How the hell am I supposed to eat prickly pear fruit? It's like a bag of pebbles.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Lets say that it's 330 am and you've been asked to cook for five guests at 5pm. What do you do while keeping it in a reasonable budget?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Lets say that it's 330 am and you've been asked to cook for five guests at 5pm. What do you do while keeping it in a reasonable budget?

aglio e olio

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I thicken up cream/heavy cream without adding flour or carbs? Like if I just want some kind of simple sauce to pour over vegetables or meat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I thicken up cream/heavy cream without adding flour or carbs? Like if I just want some kind of simple sauce to pour over vegetables or meat.

Just simmer it until it reduces. Your standard steak sauce with heavy cream would the thus:

Take your meat out of the pan, add some shallots and cook them until they soften. Add garlic and cook it for a moment (if you want garlic) then deglaze with brandy. You can add green peppercorns here if you want, or don't. Pour in your cream and cook it until it's thick like a sauce. Take it off the heat and whisk in some dijon if you like.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

There use to be a mexican food thread, and someone had great a recipe in there for slow-cooked carnitas with tomatillo salsa. Does anyone have that recipe?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

A year or two back, there was an excellent write up here on making stock, but I can't find it...

I've gotta couple carcasses, celery, carrots, onions, garlic, and the rest of the day ad want to make some to freeze. Any help?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

me your dad posted:

There use to be a mexican food thread, and someone had great a recipe in there for slow-cooked carnitas with tomatillo salsa. Does anyone have that recipe?

Managed to find the thread at least!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409478

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - no archives for me :(

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

me your dad posted:

Thanks - no archives for me :(

Not sure exactly what recipe you were referring to, otherwise I'd've posted it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

What do you feel like eating? You have enough time to make basically anything.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

nwin posted:

A year or two back, there was an excellent write up here on making stock, but I can't find it...

I've gotta couple carcasses, celery, carrots, onions, garlic, and the rest of the day ad want to make some to freeze. Any help?

Well it's pretty darn easy. Throw all of your ingredients in a stock pot and fill it with enough water to cover all of the solids. You'll also want to keep a separate pan of simmering water next to it so you can add hot water to your stock pot as you need it.

The key to making stock is to imbue the water with the flavor of your ingredients and then reduce the water through simmering, so make sure you don't use a lid. Simmer the stock for 6-8 hours, adding warm water to keep your solids covered. Skim the gunk off the top every 15 minutes for the first 2 hours and then every half hour after that.

If you want to follow a recipe I use this Alton Brown one but my feeling with stock is that the exact amounts of ingredients don't make a whole lot of difference. Just throw in what you've got, though I would make sure to add a few peppercorns to your pot. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chicken-stock-recipe/index.html

When the stock is nice and reduced and flavorful you pour it through a strainer into another container and then immediately put the container with your chicken stock into an ice bath. You want to cool down that stock as fast as possible to avoid foodborn illnesses. Then you can leave it in the fridge for immediate use or you can freeze it. Lots of people here like to use an ice cube tray so they can pop out a few cubes of stock whenever they need it.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Any recommendations for cooking bone-in goat cubes? Have them seasoned with a middle eastern-y type spice blend (cumin, cardamom, clove, etc. . . ), but didn't know the best way to cook them?

Could the goat cubes be grilled or would a slow braise or roast work better?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Steve Yun posted:

How the hell am I supposed to eat prickly pear fruit? It's like a bag of pebbles.

You trimmed the thorns and peeled off the skin, right?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

beefnchedda posted:

Any recommendations for cooking bone-in goat cubes? Have them seasoned with a middle eastern-y type spice blend (cumin, cardamom, clove, etc. . . ), but didn't know the best way to cook them?

Could the goat cubes be grilled or would a slow braise or roast work better?

It depends on the cut, but you're almost for sure going to want to sear them, deglaze the pan with something acidic, and then braise them for a while.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

nwin posted:

Here's eGullet's stock making "class":

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php/topic/25256-stocks-and-sauces-class-unit-1-day1/

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

silvergoose posted:

Not sure exactly what recipe you were referring to, otherwise I'd've posted it.

Is there a recipe for horchata?

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012
I'm trying to grill a steak, and I am bad at grilling things. It seems like I always end up with really rare steak when I'm shooting for med.

My issue I think, is my grill doesn't get hot enough, and if I turn the flame up a bit it always ends up in a raging hellish inferno of flame. Any advice for getting the temp up without lighting everything on fire?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

letgomyAgo posted:

I'm trying to grill a steak, and I am bad at grilling things. It seems like I always end up with really rare steak when I'm shooting for med.

My issue I think, is my grill doesn't get hot enough, and if I turn the flame up a bit it always ends up in a raging hellish inferno of flame. Any advice for getting the temp up without lighting everything on fire?

Really hot grill is for thin steaks. If you want a good medium/medium rare with thicker steaks, you need to turn the heat down and cook for longer. Remember to keep the lid on and don't poke at them, you need to make it like an oven.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Let the meat come to room temp before you toss it on the grill so the temp doesn't have as far to go once you start cooking. Sear the steaks hellishly hot and finish in the oven. In lieu of an oven, only have a fire in half the grill, move steaks to the other half once seared.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I am looking for an awesome recipe to use italian sausages with, I have both sweet and spicy and would like to showcase both. The trick is, I'm feeding this to someone who doesn't normally like this kind of sausage.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

pogothemonkey0 posted:

You should make Pad Ka-prao! Obviously, you would need to pick up a few more ingredients, but this dish is an awesome way to highlight birds eye chiles (which I assume is what you have). I don't follow this recipe exactly, but it is a great base to mess around with. I recommend ground pork, extra chiles and garlic, and skipping the oyster sauce in favor of more fish sauce. The basil is important but you can get away with thai basil or even sweet basil if you're in a pinch.
Also, minced birds eye chilis + fish sauce is a great sauce to drizzle on this after you make it. Local Thai place makes it with chicken, puts the fried egg on it, and gives you a little dish of fish sauce with chilis to pour on. So good.

Casu Marzu posted:

Braise in soy, ginger, garlic, onion, pear mix with a good pinch of chili flake or chili paste for like 6 hours, until it is tender. Pull out, sear and serve as tacos with some reduced sauce, sliced radish and a squirt of lime

No pear around the house, but I have a can of Coke I got for free that I won't do anything else with. When you say sear do you mean sear the whole ribs or should I chop them first?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ashgromnies posted:

No pear around the house, but I have a can of Coke I got for free that I won't do anything else with. When you say sear do you mean sear the whole ribs or should I chop them first?

You just want a sweet component in there, so brown sugar or honey or anything really would go well. And yeah, pull, chop and crisp so you get delicious crunchy bits of korean beefy taco stuffings.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I have a about a 2-3 lb block of pastrami sitting in my freezer and I'm looking for some simple things to do with it besides slice it up for sandwiches. Googling's just bringing up how to make it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I was sure I could use up the entire bushel of peaches I picked yesterday, but after making approx. 3 liters of jam and barely making a dent in the peaches I'm wondering if I bit off more than I can chew. This is a LOT of peaches!

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot

RazorBunny posted:

I was sure I could use up the entire bushel of peaches I picked yesterday, but after making approx. 3 liters of jam and barely making a dent in the peaches I'm wondering if I bit off more than I can chew. This is a LOT of peaches!

Make BBQ sauce with it! Peach BBQ sauce is super delicious, especially if you use bourbon in it! I don't have one handy, but there's a zillion recipes on google, I'm sure you can find one you like.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

An observer posted:

You trimmed the thorns and peeled off the skin, right?

Yeah, but then there's all these seeds in there like mini peach stones, evenly distributed throughout the whole fruit

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Oh right, those. Spit em out like cherry pits, pretty much.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

You just want a sweet component in there, so brown sugar or honey or anything really would go well. And yeah, pull, chop and crisp so you get delicious crunchy bits of korean beefy taco stuffings.

Had it braising for about two hours now. Took a taste of the sauce, and drat. Can't wait. Thanks for the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

I have a about a 2-3 lb block of pastrami sitting in my freezer and I'm looking for some simple things to do with it besides slice it up for sandwiches. Googling's just bringing up how to make it.

How about Pastrami Hash? Pastrami is a bit like smoked corned beef (probably an oversimplification, but whatever). It's cured & smoked brisket I think, so maybe it could stand in for corned beef? Is it very fatty? The fattiness should improve the hash, I think.