Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

inthesto posted:

The most optimized character is Durkon, but that's mostly a function of his class being the hardest to screw up.

Roy, Elan, and Haley are all reasonably optimized within the confines of their classes. Meanwhile, Belkar is obviously a parody of new players who don't even know what their characters do.

Originally he was, probably since his duel with Miko he's just turned into a duel wielding murder machine. He's still dumping skillpoints into god knows what.

e: yeah, #262 is where Belkar goes on his solo rampage and it becomes apparent that he can handle himself in combat.

e2: oh, high ranks in hide and move silently, that's right. Belkar is a Ranger/Barbarian who's been built like a ninja.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Remember: Belkar has no ranks in survival, thus wasting his free Track feat. He doesn't know that he can cast spells and was not aware that he could have an animal companion until he picked up Mr. Scruffy, which is a relatively recent development. I also cannot recall any mention of racial enemies, camouflage, or evasion. There is literally no indication that Belkar is a ranger other than dual-wielding - which incidentally is insanely bad on small characters.

Keep in mind he still lost to Miko in the end. Miko is a paladin/monk, another laughably bad multiclass.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

inthesto posted:

Remember: Belkar has no ranks in survival, thus wasting his free Track feat. He doesn't know that he can cast spells and was not aware that he could have an animal companion until he picked up Mr. Scruffy, which is a relatively recent development. I also cannot recall any mention of racial enemies, camouflage, or evasion. There is literally no indication that Belkar is a ranger other than dual-wielding - which incidentally is insanely bad on small characters.

Keep in mind he still lost to Miko in the end. Miko is a paladin/monk, another laughably bad multiclass.

The whole point of that fight was that he was trying to bait Miko into killing him. The point is laboriously made that he's just toying with her and deliberately loses.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

inthesto posted:

He's used evasion before, but as I recall he was surprised when he did it.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

inthesto posted:

He successfully evades a fireball from the Eye of Fear and Flame clone of Xykon.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
If you want to run with the 'metaphor for actual player' allegory, Belkar does fit the new player archetype exceedingly well.

The narrative:

He comes to the table, has no idea what he's doing. Aragorn's a ranger, that sounds cool, go with that. 2 swords or a bow? 2 weapons is always better than one, right? He picks Halfling and Chaotic Evil alignment for the 'lulz'. His skills are picked based on what sounds cool - tracking seemed lame, so did an animal companion. Points in profession: Gourmet Chef, again, for the 'lulz'. He throws his stats all in Strength and Dex so he can be a murder happy ninja - he doesn't need mental stats, he's there to kill things.

He's not completely dense, so he does listen to the other players to help him out a bit with optimization, and catches on with it, and develops into a reasonable player, but still stubborn in his ways and original choices - that would require admitting he made a mistake, and some people just can't do that. He gets needled into character development, saying he has to stop being a psychopath, but he won't just accept a cheesy redemption, either.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Alchenar posted:

Originally he was, probably since his duel with Miko he's just turned into a duel wielding murder machine. He's still dumping skillpoints into god knows what.

Thing is though, Two-Weapon Fighting is really bad on most characters, rangers included. It increases the number of attacks you make, but that doesn't necessarily mean that those extra attacks will do anything more than tickle. Usually, you need some form of a large amount of damage that you can apply to each attack you make in order to justify spending feats and money on a second weapon. Rangers don't really have that (though at least they don't spend feats on it). Belkar's got his weapon damage die (on a small-sized dagger, which is not a high-damage weapon to begin with), his strength bonus (on a race with a strength penalty, and halved for his off-hand attacks), and his weapon enhancement bonus (which he has to buy twice), plus any miscellaneous bonuses to damage he has, such as Favored Enemy (which maybe +2 or +4 if the target is a human, goblinoid, or undead), rage, or spells and bard song. So he's looking at somewhere in the vicinity 1d3+10 for his main-hand, 1d3+5 for his off-hand in usual circumstances, and then increasing them by about five to seven in best circumstances (rage, bard song, favored enemy). Assuming he goes all-out full-attack on an enemy standing there, he might do something like 75 to 100 points of damage in a round in the best circumstances and assuming all attacks hit, otherwise it drops to below 50 points of damage in a round, or below 10 or 20 if he has to move more than 5 feet in a round.

Given that the party is somewhere around level 15 (Power Word: Stun is an 8th level spell, Holy Word is a 7th level spell), this is not exactly an inspiring amount of damage to put out. Not coincidentally, most of his biggest solo combat victories (the Hydra, Sexy Shoeless God of War, the Thieves' Guild) have all been against opponents he hilariously out-leveled, who had paltry amounts of hit points and would have only been a meaningful threat to a party ten levels lower. And since he favors a "death by a thousand cuts" approach to damage, anything with a decent source of damage reduction he can't breach (like Xykon, with DR 15/Magic and Bludgeoning) is something he can't do any meaningful damage to.

Because it's a story, he looks like an impressive murder machine because a kill is a kill. From a game perspective, he's a poorly-built character who keeps getting into comically softballed fights against laughably weak opponents (and somehow comes out of these one-sided fights with injuries). But it's a story, not a game, so it has different needs.

So yeah, attempting to analyze the characters in this comic is not only :goonsay: as hell, but it takes something out of the tension in the story.

As an aside, Two-Weapon Fighting is actually pretty decent on rogues, since if you're flanking, under Improved Invisibility, or your opponent is blinded/stunned/flat-footed (say hello to Glitterdust, Color Spray and Grease, some of the crown princes of lower level spells) you can apply sneak attack to all your attacks that round and actually start eating face assuming you're properly built for it. But going past that into being incredibly highly optimized also sucks something out of the story.

"The seas part and the air itself seems to scream in horror as the form of the eldritch aberration rises from the depths of its primordial prison, intent on sacrificing the kingdom to the abominable gods which lie beyond the void. Its many tentacled limbs twist and writhe as it turns its multifaceted eyes-"

"I cast Rhino's Charge, activate Divine Might and then charge, using Smite Evil and adding the bonus from Lead the Charge. Does it have more than..." :rolldice: "...250 hit points?"

"Well... no."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

inthesto posted:

The most optimized character is Durkon, but that's mostly a function of his class being the hardest to screw up.
Since Elan took Dashing Swordsman he's been the most optimized character. He's running everything he does off of a single sky-high stat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CapnAndy posted:

Since Elan took Dashing Swordsman he's been the most optimized character. He's running everything he does off of a single sky-high stat.
Yeah, that's kind of the joke. The only way it could be more obvious would be if Roy was a Monk/Fighter.

Also, the in-universe... I don't wanna say "discrimination", but jabbing against Sorcerers is interesting, considering that, even played really basic and blast-y, they're still a drat potent class.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Eh, sort of. His ability to add his charisma bonus to damage allows him to go from minimal damage to moderate damage, but unless his prestige class gives him other abilities, that just means he's breaking even with others. Even with the ability to add his charisma modifier to things like attacks or saves (which we have no indication that he can do), unless he has some method of capitalizing on it such as the ability to spam attacks or critical hits, he's not exactly what I'd call "optimal", merely "functional." It's one of 3e's oddities. Given the way ability scores work, you can use almost any ability for almost any option, but unless you have a impressively high stat or some interesting synergies going on, you're going to be spending an impressive amount of character resources just to break even with the starting capabilities of another character (who can spend those same character resources on actual improvements).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well, Elan is immune to damage from broken glass so he can jump through windows in a dramatic fashion.

Speaking of poorly optimized characters my first one was an aasimar sorcerer who picked up dragon disciple and when the party was at level 9 he couldn't cast anything higher than level 3 spells. :downs:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LightWarden posted:

"The seas part and the air itself seems to scream in horror as the form of the eldritch aberration rises from the depths of its primordial prison, intent on sacrificing the kingdom to the abominable gods which lie beyond the void. Its many tentacled limbs twist and writhe as it turns its multifaceted eyes-"

"I cast Rhino's Charge, activate Divine Might and then charge, using Smite Evil and adding the bonus from Lead the Charge. Does it have more than..." :rolldice: "...250 hit points?"

"Well... no."
Casting Rhino's Charge on a yacht seems like a cool idea. Full steam ahead!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Colon V posted:

Also, the in-universe... I don't wanna say "discrimination", but jabbing against Sorcerers is interesting, considering that, even played really basic and blast-y, they're still a drat potent class.

What?

Xykon is literally one long love letter to the Sorcerer class.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

He said "in-universe".

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

He said "in-universe".

Yeah, and then he said 'potent class'.

Xykon is a testament to that. Wizards especially snub sorcerers because in-universe wise they get their power for nothing. Xykon points out how dumb that is.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just assume Belkar is one of those guys who just always rolls well. Every group has one. The one in my college group was named Clayton and was also a tall, handsome and successful composer.

gently caress him.

Edit: Just checked facebook, he's now gotten pudgy and is working as a dog groomer. I feel better now.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 12, 2012

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If you want to laugh at a poorly optimized character made by a new player, I'm in a game with a halfling paladin. When confronted with a small dwarf child his first reaction was "I kill her".

I don't know what he thought a paladin does.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shugojin posted:

If you want to laugh at a poorly optimized character made by a new player, I'm in a game with a halfling paladin. When confronted with a small dwarf child his first reaction was "I kill her".

Did the little dwarf girl had a beard? If she did not, I understand why he thought she was an aberration.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Shugojin posted:

I once played with a guy who rolled up a paladin. He killed a caravan driver for charging him a fee to ride along during the trip because the paladin didn't offer his services to help guard it.

Paladins, man.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Shugojin posted:

Mazzy Fenton would be so ashamed.

Is there a limit on LizGrimReaper's ability to raise mummies? It looked like he had a small army of them.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

There isn't, but he needs to use his Command Undead ability to command them, and assuming he's in the level 16-24 range he can only give commands to two of them per use.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NihilCredo posted:

There isn't, but he needs to use his Command Undead ability to command them, and assuming he's in the level 16-24 range he can only give commands to two of them per use.
Or he could be using one or more of the hundred-odd ways to boost your CL for turning and just using a single rebuke undead on them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

So... how many strips is it since an OOTS plan went entirely their way? 500? 600?

In other news, I just got my Kickstarter shipment in NZ, and it is hilarious reading them in chronological order - Redcloak goes from a properly tragic, almost Shakespearean figure who's sacrificed everything he's ever loved for a goal that might not even exist (in SoD), to a slightly sarcastic middle management goblin in DCC.

And yet it kind of works. With goodwill and a little squinting, you can just about read Redcloak as being deliberately dead inside up until he charges into the city about halfway through War and XPs.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Oh drat, am I the one that gets to call out an update? No, no I am not.

Also, it looks like an age-old not-really-question has been answered. At this rate the next comic is going to let us know what gender V is.

Edit: I guess this answers the level question: everyone in the linear guild is on equal footing level-wise with the OotS, with the exception of Tarky. Unless Zz'drti is bllinded.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 14, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ursine Asylum posted:

Oh drat, am I the one that gets to call out an update?

Sorry, I already did. Top of page 352.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Cat Mattress posted:

Sorry, I already did. Top of page 352.

Whoops. Looks like the Awful app kicked me ahead a page. My bad, disregard my lateness to the party.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I just assume Belkar is one of those guys who just always rolls well.

If this was an actual game of D&D I'd just assume that the DM feels sorry for the new guy with the terribly-built character and keeps giving him encounters with a bunch of underlevelled opponents so he can have fun. :shobon:

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

If this was an actual game of D&D I'd just assume that the DM feels sorry for the new guy with the terribly-built character and keeps giving him encounters with a bunch of underlevelled opponents so he can have fun. :shobon:

I always assumed that Belkar was a Ranger that was built like a Fighter. So he may have rather impressive close combat abilities.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think he's more of a ranger built like a barbarian. There aren't very many close combat abilities he could have except maybe power attack, leap attack and possible shock trooper (unlikely). But I'm no expert on dnd so I could be missing something.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Wakka wakka wakka!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't like this new superstition, can we just go back to asking if Rich's insides have turned inside out again?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Rich just posted a Kickstarter update so he's okay. Also, he's making progress on belkar.pdf, so yay! (Those bonus stories are what I'm looking forward the most out of the whole Kickstarter thing.)

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Seriously. I don't read Goblins on purpose

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Cat Mattress posted:

Rich just posted a Kickstarter update so he's okay. Also, he's making progress on belkar.pdf, so yay! (Those bonus stories are what I'm looking forward the most out of the whole Kickstarter thing.)

I kind of wish those people chose other, more interesting characters for those short stories :( I have faith in Burlew's storytelling, but for now I can't imagine a good story focusing on Belkar.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Look. Only post Goblins if someone asks about Rich.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Endless Mike posted:

How about "never post Goblins."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Post kobolds.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

greatn posted:

Post kobolds.
Okay.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

It's important that the proper rituals be observed, otherwise the summoning will never work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Colonial Air Force posted:

How about "never post Goblins."
Fine, fine. We won't post... Goblins.