Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TUSR posted:

Sorry for the awful quality, but here is the prices using the iTunes Connect VIP Store. $1783 CAD for the base Retina.

This is just rebadged corporate EPP discounting for partner companies.

Nothing all that interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
My 2010 pro won't turn on. Anything I should try before I send it in ? I don't live near an apple store. The charger lights up green and I tried to do an SMC reset.

RyceCube fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 11, 2012

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Phiberoptik posted:

My 2010 pro won't turn on. Anything I should try before I send it in ? I don't live near an apple store. The charger lights up green and I tried to do an SMC reset.

You've tried holding down the power button for 10 seconds, waiting 5 seconds, then hitting the power button again?

Did the SMC reset "take" ?

Not sure if it would address the issue but might as well reset the PRAM as well, right?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

decypher posted:

You've tried holding down the power button for 10 seconds, waiting 5 seconds, then hitting the power button again?

Did the SMC reset "take" ?

Not sure if it would address the issue but might as well reset the PRAM as well, right?

How do I reset the PRAM? The laptop doesn't boot at all.

Im not sure how to tell if the SMC reset took.

e: The light indicator on the left wors if its plugged in, but doesn't if its not.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Phiberoptik posted:

How do I reset the PRAM? The laptop doesn't boot at all.

Im not sure how to tell if the SMC reset took.

e: The light indicator on the left wors if its plugged in, but doesn't if its not.

A successful SMC reset should make the power plug light change colors from orange to green.

code:
PRAM Reset:
Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command , Option, P, and R. 
You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously.

1. Turn on the computer.
2. Immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
3. Continue holding the keys down until the computer restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11243

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

decypher posted:

A successful SMC reset should make the power plug light change colors from orange to green.

code:

PRAM Reset:
Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command , Option, P, and R. 
You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously.

1. Turn on the computer.
2. Immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
3. Continue holding the keys down until the computer restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11243

My charger light is always green and I can't turn my laptop on.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

TUSR posted:

I read that iFixit said it will cost ~500$ to replace the batteries.

Apple charges $200 (materials and labor) for a new battery. The $500 number is an unjustified guess from a company that sells laptop parts. And just another crazy conspiracy - they might be unhappy about these changes because it threatens their business of selling lovely nobrand batteries to penny-pinching hobbyists who think it's the same thing because The Specs and Crapple Is Out to Rip Us Off.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

NOTinuyasha posted:

Apple charges $200 (materials and labor) for a new battery. The $500 number is an unjustified guess from a company that sells laptop parts. And just another crazy conspiracy - they might be unhappy about these changes because it threatens their business of selling lovely nobrand batteries to penny-pinching hobbyists who think it's the same thing because The Specs and Crapple Is Out to Rip Us Off.

That's not bad considering that replacement batteries for models that have pop out batteries are $130.

My battery has gone to poo poo on my 08 MPB but I can't justify replacing it when my computer rarely leaves the house.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Haggins posted:

That's not bad considering that replacement batteries for models that have pop out batteries are $130.

My battery has gone to poo poo on my 08 MPB but I can't justify replacing it when my computer rarely leaves the house.

I don't know if a 08 is one of the models affected, but a good chunk are throttled down to 50% CPU speed with no or little battery. That makes it worthwhile.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Arivia posted:

I don't know if a 08 is one of the models affected, but a good chunk are throttled down to 50% CPU speed with no or little battery. That makes it worthwhile.

It affects all Apple portables as far as I'm aware.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It still works, it just doesn't last much longer than an hour. I also get the service battery warning. It's been like that for awhile, how would I know if I'm running at half speed?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
How well does the Macbook trackpad work in windows?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Phiberoptik posted:

How well does the Macbook trackpad work in windows?

It works it just doesn't feel like it does in OS X.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Anyone know on top of their head how long the warranty on a replacement part for a macbook would be if I did a repair just weeks after applecare expired?

Had my logic board replaced about a week before applecare expired in october '11, and now a memory bank has gone bust. Guessing the warranty isn't 1 year, but I have to know or I'll keep beating myself up for it :ohdear:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Anyone know on top of their head how long the warranty on a replacement part for a macbook would be if I did a repair just weeks after applecare expired?

Had my logic board replaced about a week before applecare expired in october '11, and now a memory bank has gone bust. Guessing the warranty isn't 1 year, but I have to know or I'll keep beating myself up for it :ohdear:
90 days, or the remainder of the original warranty/APP.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Sonic Dude posted:

90 days, or the remainder of the original warranty/APP.

oh :(

I guess I will go looking for a single 4gb stick on ebay to put in the remaining bank then...

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Why don't you check for yourself? If you put your hardware serial here https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do it will tell you the warranty status of your machine.

Your story is a little confusing, but it sounds like you are way out of warranty. It's worth a shot to give them a call and see if they'll be nice, but it's a long shot. Also don't feel so bad because RAM is pretty cheap these days.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

FamDav posted:

Why don't you check for yourself? If you put your hardware serial here https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do it will tell you the warranty status of your machine.

Your story is a little confusing, but it sounds like you are way out of warranty. It's worth a shot to give them a call and see if they'll be nice, but it's a long shot. Also don't feel so bad because RAM is pretty cheap these days.

It's the actual slot that went bust, and that link won't show me the status of the logic board I got replaced, just the computer itself.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

yeah the warranty for your logic board replacement ended in jan 2012. Sorry dude :(

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm not one to complain about Apple prices normally (premium prices for nicer hardware), but the price of the Mac Pro seems crazy considering the hardware. A 3d artist friend who wants to buy new high end hardware wanted advice and it seems like a better idea (as he doesn't want to switch OS) is to buy an old Mac Pro or an iMac and buy a cheap performance pc or two to use for rendering. Anyone else go that route?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The Mac pro right now is a poor value- if it's necessary you can use it, or a hackintosh./custom rig for more power. If it can be delayed, I would wait to see if there is anything announced in September/October. It sounded like there would be a big iMac and Mac pro refresh before the year ends, but we haven't really heard anything about them.

E: vvv. that's what I was referencing. Guess I misread next as this, somehow...

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 12, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Most likely not. Tim Cook himself said there'd be some sort of new model 'next year,' not this year. The following letter was mailed to a Mac Pro Facebook group:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/12/tim_cook_confirms_updated_mac_pro_coming_in_2013.html

Tim Cook posted:

Franz,

Thanks for your email. Our Pro customers like you are really important to us. Although we didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event, don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next year. We also updated the current model today.

We’ve been continuing to update Final Cut Pro X with revolutionary pro features like industry leading multi-cam support and we just updated Aperture with incredible new image adjustment features.

We also announced a MacBook Pro with a Retina Display that is a great solution for many pros.

Tim

the hassler
Nov 1, 2004

kiss me i'm todd it
After much deliberation and a couple glasses of whisky, i've decided to finally take the plunge and replace my 2009 mac mini with a 15" rMBP. The longest two weeks i'll ever wait.

Rest in peace, Mini.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Haggins posted:

It still works, it just doesn't last much longer than an hour. I also get the service battery warning. It's been like that for awhile, how would I know if I'm running at half speed?
Ghetto unscientific method would be to try some CPU benchmark and compare to other identical machines (or at least identical CPU). I did it with Geekbench a while back with a MacBook with dead battery and the result was right around half of comparable machines.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
if you get any time at all I believe you should be running at full speed; that was the symptom for my lovely RevA MBP when the battery gave out.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm pleasantly surprised with how capable the new Macbook Air's integrated graphics are. I thought i'd be stuck playing mahjong and pinball, but i'm running Borderlands, Portal 2, and Diablo 3 pretty well.

Kinda glad I didn't pick the MBP now. Though I do envy that crazy resolution.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised with how capable the new Macbook Air's integrated graphics are. I thought i'd be stuck playing mahjong and pinball, but i'm running Borderlands, Portal 2, and Diablo 3 pretty well.

Kinda glad I didn't pick the MBP now. Though I do envy that crazy resolution.

Yeah big improvement in integrated graphics is the best selling point of the Ivy Bridge CPUs since it helps make even the Air more general purpose.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Next gen Haswell intel CPUs are supposed to be another big leap with integrated graphics-- a great time to enjoy a laptop as your only system.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Shmoogy posted:

Next gen Haswell intel CPUs are supposed to be another big leap with integrated graphics-- a great time to enjoy a laptop as your only system.

Yeah, and one theory is that Nvidia and AMD are going to have to lower prices in the budget graphics segment to keep competitive.

http://uk.hardware.info/news/29388/intel-haswell-gpu-chip-3x-faster-than-ivy-bridge-gpu

I almost pulled the trigger on an rMBP, but I'm going to try to hold off on purchasing until Haswell -- perhaps Retina will have permeated other models by then.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Kalix posted:

I almost pulled the trigger on an rMBP, but I'm going to try to hold off on purchasing until Haswell -- perhaps Retina will have permeated other models by then.

The retina has been out for two months, and Haswell isn't due until March-June. If you're threshold for "might as well just wait" is about a year, and you're looking to buy an Apple laptop, I have some bad news for you...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NOTinuyasha posted:

The retina has been out for two months, and Haswell isn't due until March-June. If you're threshold for "might as well just wait" is about a year, and you're looking to buy an Apple laptop, I have some bad news for you...

Haswell is probably going to smooth out the performance issues with the rMBP, so if you can wait a year it is worth it. Same thing as all Apple products: never buy the first model.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Or you could just buy the latest rMBP and enjoy it for the next 10 months and sell it just before the next refresh for close to what you paid.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

calcio posted:

Or you could just buy the latest rMBP and enjoy it for the next 10 months and sell it just before the next refresh for close to what you paid.

I just bought a 2012 Air with discount with the intention of selling next year for a MBPr

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

I have a rMPB and I am pretty OCD about it being perfect.

The only issues are scrolling on the Facebook website and Photoshop not being retina yet. And the second one is a pretty non-issue since you can just plug in a second screen.

Everything else works perfectly fine, smooth and its just a great laptop all around.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Jabe posted:

I have a rMPB and I am pretty OCD about it being perfect.

The only issues are scrolling on the Facebook website and Photoshop not being retina yet. And the second one is a pretty non-issue since you can just plug in a second screen.

Everything else works perfectly fine, smooth and its just a great laptop all around.
Yup, really happy with mine. It's thin, quiet, fast and it's got absolutely ridiculous battery life if you're not using the discrete graphics while mobile.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Is this a bad time to buy a MBA? Like is it going to get a retina screen within 6 months or something?

Also I can't decide between the 11 or 13 inch, and is getting some upgrades worth it?
edit: I guess the only upgrade you can get with edu discounts is the RAM

Dante fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 13, 2012

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Dante posted:

Is this a bad time to buy a MBA? Like is it going to get a retina screen within 6 months or something?

Also I can't decide between the 11 or 13 inch, and is getting some upgrades worth it?
No one knows when they're going to get refreshed. Considering they were just refreshed in June, it's probably going to take a while. Besides, the rMBP has some choppy performance in a lot of instances, so a 1st-generation rMBA might not be worth it regardless.

I think the 11" is way, way too small, and the keyboard feels too weird. Why not go for the bigger screen? It's not like the 13" weighs anything.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The 13" 2012 Air owns super hard. And even if you don't like it you can return it. But you won't.

Remember - SUPER. HARD.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

ufarn posted:

Besides, the rMBP has some choppy performance in a lot of instances, so a 1st-generation rMBA might not be worth it regardless.
What instances are those? All I've heard is Facebook scrolling, what else makes it not worth buying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Aardark posted:

What instances are those? All I've heard is Facebook scrolling, what else makes it not worth buying?
Scrolling - period.